• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

That's possible but I feel like the ability is supposed to be a "FU--SION-HA" thing and that would mean keeping the pet dismissed. It's extremely rare in any MMO that does this to let you resummon the pet while keeping a continuous buff from sacrificing said pet. Although I wouldn't totally wave away the possibility, it also means as a SCH that this could effectively be Swiftcast tax which i don't really like the idea of either.

In either case, I assume that a lot of SCHs have some of the same questions i do so maybe they will clarify some of this BEFORE we see the specific patch notes during maintenance.

It could be a cool all-or-nothing, go-big-or-go-home kind of deal that justifies losing the pet for. I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

I feel your pain.

Monk pants don't exist. If it weren't for the fact that I need the poetics and CoD is usually painless, I'd do the same.

I can't believe how bad the RNG has been to me. I didn't expect to get the full set in a week, but my Ninja now has four pieces of the set just from greeding on stuff, and my Summoner has two. It's getting insane.

Yeah it's tough :-(. And there's always so many bards in WoD that even when I see it I fear I will lose the roll. Even when greeding in there I've been making such sh*tty rols. Nerf loot rolls, SE!

grimmiq

Ok, so I finally caved and picked up the game. How do the servers work? when it says NA/EU data center does that mean that both EU and NA players share the same server or that they overlap for the dungeon finder or similar things?

On the main menu, if you select Data Center it'll show all of the centers and which worlds(Servers) are connected to that Center, those will be all the servers the Duty Finder will pull players from.

Unless you want to play on a specific world (I think the GAF guild is on Ultros in the Primal center, which is in Canada) just pick whichever is closest to you. I think 2 are in Japan, 2 in Canada and 1 in Europe somewhere. You can pick whichever you like but in harder content the latency can make a big difference, though you can use things like WTFast, Pingzapper, Battleping, etc to make it bearable.

So beat T10 and T11 today with the help of FCCCoB today.

T10 went mostly okay. A few small mess ups on my part such as for some reason, deciding to eat tether and then wild charge (still have no idea why I did that) but besides that, it went smooth and we beat it in one pull. No vid since I forgot to record and Alice forgot to save a vid on the PS4 lol.

T11 was a lot harder than it looked in vids and we were pretty tired by this point. But we somehow won after quite a few attempts and I was resigned to not beating it tonight. I was happy when we beat it though :D

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bolDYaJJCC0

Thanks again to those who helped us <3

Tomorrow, hopefully T12 :D I've been looking forward to the T12 boss for a while.

grats again on your clears Jade and Alice.

Alice even got some loot in T10 \o/

Is anyone else suffering lag on the PS4?

I just had some seriously bad lag in ST. Like, I could run around/move camera, but nothing else was moving and then all of a sudden EVERYTHING was happening :/.

Hoping it fixes itself for later... Please.

Stuart444

grats again on your clears Jade and Alice.

Alice even got some loot in T10 \o/

A clear upgrade for her bard o/ so at least it's usable loot lol.

Also Looking back, I still find it funny how we both kept getting tethered together, without fail most of the time haha.

That's an internet issue.

Pretty sure it isn't our side. We're on the same internet, just different platforms and I had no lag whatsoever. It'd be very weird for it to be our internet yet only affecting one platform (and we didn't even have the issue yesterday).

Not ruling it out but I'm pretty sure it isn't on our side.

jorgeton

I just had some seriously bad lag in ST. Like, I could run around/move camera, but nothing else was moving and then all of a sudden EVERYTHING was happening :/.

Are you using suspend/resume on this game? I had the same issue happen to me when I suspended the game overnight and came back to it later. I log out to the login screen when I quit for the day now and haven't had a problem since.

Pretty sure it isn't our side. We're on the same internet, just different platforms and I had no lag whatsoever. It'd be very weird for it to be our internet yet only affecting one platform (and we didn't even have the issue yesterday).

That's what we call rubberbanding, what you just described. It's not your PS4, it's your internet.

A clear upgrade for her bard o/ so at least it's usable loot lol.

Also Looking back, I still find it funny how we both kept getting tethered together, without fail most of the time haha.

Yeah, it'll generally try to pair melee DPS together for tethers!

Honestly tethers are really really easy once it clicks for you.

Stuart444

That's what we call rubberbanding, what you just described. It's not your PS4, it's your internet.

So would you like to explain why it's only one platform? (PS4, PC was fine) On the same internet?

Also to add a bit more info, the achievements were also messing up. (ie saying 0/0 for ones she has gotten) and just trying to exit ST, it ended up saying "Event Cancelled" after a bit.

All of this not on PC, just on the PS4.

So would you like to explain why it's only one platform? (PS4, PC was fine) On the same internet?

Also to add a bit more info, the achievements were also messing up. (ie saying 0/0 for ones she has gotten) and just trying to exit ST, it ended up saying "Event Cancelled" after a bit.

All of this not on PC, just on the PS4.

Is she on wireless while you're on wired or something? Could be an issue. Either way, it really is rubberbanding going by the description!

Is she on wireless while you're on wired or something? Could be an issue. Either way, it really is rubberbanding going by the description!

Both wired. I mean, the PS4 did have issues connecting when I logged on but it was fine after another rest then restart.

In all fairness, what I described has happened before I've been 90k'd before. Last time I saw it this bad was a LOTA, 90k'd at the exit iirc.

We'll try resetting the router and see if it helps. Besides that, I don't know what else we can do :/

Both wired. I mean, the PS4 did have issues connecting when I logged on but it was fine after another rest then restart.

In all fairness, what I described has happened before I've been 90k'd before. Last time I saw it this bad was a LOTA, 90k'd at the exit iirc.

We'll try resetting the router and see if it helps. Besides that, I don't know what else we can do :/

Do a speedtest when you have issues like that, too: speedtest.net.

zogged

On the main menu, if you select Data Center it'll show all of the centers and which worlds(Servers) are connected to that Center, those will be all the servers the Duty Finder will pull players from.

Unless you want to play on a specific world (I think the GAF guild is on Ultros in the Primal center, which is in Canada) just pick whichever is closest to you. I think 2 are in Japan, 2 in Canada and 1 in Europe somewhere. You can pick whichever you like but in harder content the latency can make a big difference, though you can use things like WTFast, Pingzapper, Battleping, etc to make it bearable.

Sweet as, cheers for that. Really glad it's not a static "you can only play with people from your server" kind of game.

IvorB

I had this issue really badly a few days ago. Everything would pause and then fast forward. It was horrible and totally unplayable so now I've hardwired my PS4 and it's all good again. I think in my case it was Wi-Fi interference because I changed the Wi-Fi channel I was using just before.

Stuart444

Do a speedtest when you have issues like that, too: speedtest.net.

K, probably going to eat crow now.

I should be getting at least 120 down and I usually do when I use that website, it's at 43 down (actually just tried it again, now it's at 38 down with 20 ping) on several servers.

Looked up the ISPs service status (Virgin media) thing and it says there is a fault with people not being able to access various websites. So it may be related to that issue? Estimated fix is in 10 minutes but probably going to take longer than that just from experience.

ONLY way I can see it messing up hers but not mines is that it can't handle both games being online at the same time and for some reason decides to affect the PS4 more than the PC o_O.

Hope it's fixed soon anyway.

aceface

I think with PS4 it routes the game though different connections to get to you or something?

I don't know I'm not good with internets

IvorB

K, probably going to eat crow now.

I should be getting at least 120 down and I usually do when I use that website, it's at 43 down (actually just tried it again, now it's at 38 down with 20 ping) on several servers.

Looked up the ISPs service status (Virgin media) thing and it says there is a fault with people not being able to access various websites. So it may be related to that issue? Estimated fix is in 10 minutes but probably going to take longer than that just from experience.

ONLY way I can see it messing up hers but not mines is that it can't handle both games being online at the same time and for some reason decides to affect the PS4 more than the PC o_O.

Hope it's fixed soon anyway.

Are you with Virgin Media in the UK? You should leave as soon as possible. I don't reckon you should be experiencing any lag at 38mb/s. Virgin throttle the sh*t out you though, at peak times especially.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<chips in two cents>

I have an open mind about the job additions, stances and changes. Looking forward to them all. Even Ranger Song. =)

Really looking forward to the new jobs though, Oddly hyped for Machinist. A Roe with a Shotgun is better than anyone with a Shotgun. =D

Valor

I, for one, welcome our Ranger Stance overlords. There are more changes as well so whining about one thing you haven't even used yet is absolutely pointless.

I don't see it as whining and more as discussion and speculation. Clearly when the full picture comes into focus things will change, but coming from a perspective of someone who only knows of Ranger Stance and Sidewinder while looking at the clear and positive upgrades to every class
that isn't SMN
it's a bit disheartening.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone know what time the press embargo lifts today? I imagine the info dump will be rather massive this time around.

I thought it ended on the 26th.

I'm looking forward to meeting the Emperor. Let us join them this time SE. #GalvusWIllBeRight

It's pretty good but of all time? Answers is better.

WHEN IS YOUR ARTICLE GOING UP, GIVE US THE HOT SCOOPS

Embargo is May 26.

Stuart444

Are you with Virgin Media in the UK? You should leave as soon as possible. I don't reckon you should be experiencing any lag at 38mb/s. Virgin throttle the sh*t out you though, at peak times especially.

Never been throttled before funnily enough. (max package internet wise). Been with them several years now.

Sky was okay but throttled me quite a bit when I was with them and Tiscali... was the worst internet provider I've experienced ever. EVER. They were so horrible ;-; slow, worst customer service, etc. /rant

Also I think we just fixed the issue.

Rebuilt database on PS4

No lag at all after logging in (compared to our previous tests where there was lag curing/opening menus/etc)

Such a simple solution fixed it. It was the PS4 itself. Not the server, not PSN, not our internet.

Note to self: Rebuild database sooner next time

scy

I don't see it as whining and more as discussion and speculation. Clearly when the full picture comes into focus things will change, but coming from a perspective of someone who only knows of Ranger Stance and Sidewinder while looking at the clear and positive upgrades to every class
that isn't SMN

That and "gain cast times" isn't "gain fun."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
that isn't SMN

How much time do you spend standing around already? I don't see the big deal. Also you're a ninja.

Gain TP = Gain Fun?

Hrm.

I wonder do we lose Invig? Double TP restore might actually be hilarious. At that point it's like why even use a resource. Unless they expect skill speed weight for MNKs to be so high that they need two TP restore options for themselves.

grimmiq

Sweet as, cheers for that. Really glad it's not a static "you can only play with people from your server" kind of game.

Well it is and it isn't..I think Guild Wars 2 had it so you could freely group with other servers? Unless you're raid grinding you'll likely never see people you group with from Duty Finder ever again.

So what's the verdict on using controllers? Should I just stick with mouse and keyboard?

Heard a lot of people say it's the best way to play, I'm just more comfortable with M+KB in MMOs.

Valor

That and "gain cast times" isn't "gain fun."
"Fun"? What is this... "fun" you speak of?

How much time do you spend standing around already? I don't see the big deal. Also you're a ninja.
I mean at the risk of repeating myself again (jk i love hearing the sound of my keys typing) it will become more of an issue of how to maximize the stance, how much of a deeps increase it is over having auto attacks (which are pretty important to a bard's dps up until the expansion at the very least) how long it takes to stance dance, if you'll even need or want to stance dance, how oGCD abilities work with your stationary butts and all sorts of other questions.

It's not a matter of the fact that you do end up turreting a bunch on Bard, it's more the idea that the ability to move and do a full rotation/max deeps is quintessential to what current bards know of what it is to be a bard. Adding a wrinkle into a "simple" system like that that fundamentally changes the way you think about a job (not adding layers of complexity like DRG/MNK/BLM that don't alter your base way of how2play) is worth having a small discussion on.

OR MAYBE I JUST CARE TOO MUCH. I GUESS I AM GUILTY OF CARING TOO MUCH.

Plus Ninja is getting nerfed so I need to jump ship.

So what's the verdict on using controllers? Should I just stick with mouse and keyboard?

The game is extremely controller friendly. If you're interested in learning on a controller, you should do so.

LowParry

Wife plays on PS4 and she doesn't have any sort of struggle with the game. This being her first MMO. As for myself, keyboard/mouse all the way.

Sidenote: Healers that play on a controller I have a mad respect for. I just can't do it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
"Fun"? What is this... "fun" you speak of?

I mean at the risk of repeating myself again (jk i love hearing the sound of my keys typing) it will become more of an issue of how to maximize the stance, how much of a deeps increase it is over having auto attacks (which are pretty important to a bard's dps up until the expansion at the very least) how long it takes to stance dance, if you'll even need or want to stance dance, how oGCD abilities work with your stationary butts and all sorts of other questions.

It's not a matter of the fact that you do end up turreting a bunch on Bard, it's more the idea that the ability to move and do a full rotation/max deeps is quintessential to what current bards know of what it is to be a bard. Adding a wrinkle into a "simple" system like that that fundamentally changes the way you think about a job (not adding layers of complexity like DRG/MNK/BLM that don't alter your base way of how2play) is worth having a small discussion on.

OR MAYBE I JUST CARE TOO MUCH. I GUESS I AM GUILTY OF CARING TOO MUCH.

Plus Ninja is getting nerfed so I need to jump ship.

The game is extremely controller friendly. If you're interested in learning on a controller, you should do so.

You are guilty of caring too much. Also I thought you wanted to go Machinist anyway?

Nohar

Wife plays on PS4 and she doesn't have any sort of struggle with the game. This being her first MMO. As for myself, keyboard/mouse all the way.

Sidenote: Healers that play on a controller I have a mad respect for. I just can't do it.

WHM is perfectly playable with the controller. However, after switching (briefly) to Keyboard + Mouse because my controller died, I found it was definitly easier to play that job with K+M. Targeting players is quicker, and some key binding for a Benediction panic button is unvaluable.
However, playing Bard with K+M is... not ideal when you've been playing it with a controller for months. I can't benefit from my muscle memory.
And I discovered that the left-click of my mouse sometimes double-click, or suddenly doesn't work when doing drag-and-drop or while highlighting something. So in any case I will need to replace my controller and/or my mouse. So, yeah...

Hasney

Nah, they've only ever throttled me one month when I downloaded 2TB in a month. On the max package, there's barely any throttling unless you use the shit out of it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
All this talk of Bards. At least they get something exciting.

Any other black mages around here not too thrilled about our additions?

Soma

Minuet sounds interesting to me but even if I end up not liking how it works at least I have Goon to fall back on.

Blood of the Dragon just sounds so damn metal.

Phenomic

I actually play with controller exclusive and I main Scholar and White Mage, apparently this is difficult? Glad I'm an awesome healer than hah.

Honestly I cannot stand using a mouse and keyboard in games anymore. I've crossed a point in my life where if I can't hold a controller I don't want anything to do with it. Keyboards just hurt my hands and carpel tunnel isn't fun. Healing really isn't bad with a controller just gotta know how to map the keys so they make sense to you and so they're easy to remember via memory. Targeting isn't bad either with the lock on features and I scroll through names quick as a whip.

Essentially, I've got healing spells on the control pad and attack skills on the buttons. Cure 1 2 Esuna and Medica and on the other side Regen, Medica 2 Cure 3 and Benediction. etc. It's very similar with the scholar only you throw in Sacred Soil in place of Cure 3 and such like that. Buffs and other things go on my secondary bar which you can toggle with a few separate but easy button presses.

Now this will probably have to change and in the past the development team has said they realize they are adding a lot of buttons and have addressed the concerns accordingly. So what they end up doing remains unknown and I guess in theory they could ruin the game for me so I'm hoping that doesn't happen. Somehow I imagine I will switch to a 3 bar system with Heals on 1 Attacks on 2 and Buffs somewhere accessible on a 3rd Cross Bar.

All this talk of Bards. At least they get something exciting.

Any other black mages around here not too thrilled about our additions?

Uh no? The BLM gets an entire new mechanic to add to their rotation that seems to have a fairly good uptime(or well potentially permanent, not sure if they'll keep those numbers and if it's viable to do full rotations), so it's not just a cooldown you pop(unlike the circle stuff, that part's boring). Enochian management and Fire IV/Blizzard IV means you basically have 2 different rotations now, that's pretty cool. The force proc, I assume, also lets you get a Thunder proc at will if you have Thunder running, so you can use the skill while moving, then it'll activate off a thunder tick and you can thunder before you resume/whenever.

I mean if you expected the class mechanic to be radically changed, I could see how you'd be disapointed, but otherwise it's basically more of the same BLM stuff, with an even greater emphasis on reacting appropriately to procs(getting Fire III procs during Enochian for example is going to be quite interesting on how to use them without dropping Enochian/not missing the duration extend) as well as minimizing movement(circle shit).

Valor

You are guilty of caring too much. Also I thought you wanted to go Machinist anyway?

Maybe it was the really poor relaying of information but they just sound so damn boring. I mean

Dark Knight gets an MP pool and a tank/dps stance while utilizing mana to help them do more damage and stuff.

Astrologian gets their rng love and a bunch of stances and what seems like a bunch of neat ways to heal and buff allies.

Machinists get a way to reload their guns.

Wow. Exciting. I sure... I sure can't wait. BUT WAIT THERE ARE PETS. What do they do? Do we control them? Still no word on that. AND AND AND YOU HAVE BOMBS. Okay, what do they do? Are they just different skills that aren't shooting? What to the bots do? No idea. Let's spend our whole time on Machinist talking about how they can reload their gun.

zzz.

The class could be great but I don't know anything about it. It's March 26th somewhere. Get those beans ready, Kagari.

spilled-the-beans.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom