• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancho

Qurupancho
You really can't escape gil sellers anymore. Now they shout spam on cities too. This thing is really out of control.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Uh no? The BLM gets an entire new mechanic to add to their rotation that seems to have a fairly good uptime(or well potentially permanent, not sure if they'll keep those numbers and if it's viable to do full rotations), so it's not just a cooldown you pop(unlike the circle stuff, that part's boring). Enochian management and Fire IV/Blizzard IV means you basically have 2 different rotations now, that's pretty cool. The force proc, I assume, also lets you get a Thunder proc at will if you have Thunder running, so you can use the skill while moving, then it'll activate off a thunder tick and you can thunder before you resume/whenever.

I mean if you expected the class mechanic to be radically changed, I could see how you'd be disapointed, but otherwise it's basically more of the same BLM stuff, with an even greater emphasis on reacting appropriately to procs(getting Fire III procs during Enochian for example is going to be quite interesting on how to use them without dropping Enochian/not missing the duration extend) as well as minimizing movement(circle shit).
I need to go back and re-read or watch the videos again, I wasn't able to catch the live letter as it was going on. I read a summary after which lead me to believe the Enochian thing was just a 30 second buff that let you cast Fire 4/Blizzard 4, wasn't aware there was management involved. The force proc will be handy for movement which is nice. It's also nice to have a haste but outside of simply casting faster and going thorough the rotation quicker I'm not sure if it will have any other effects that will change up our rotation.

The Enochian thing as you explained it does sound more interesting than what I was expecting. The rest is so-so.

scy

I need to go back and re-read or watch the videos again, I wasn't able to catch the live letter as it was going on. I read a summary after which lead me to believe the Enochian thing was just a 30 second buff that let you cast Fire 4/Blizzard 4, wasn't aware there was management involved. The force proc will be handy for movement which is nice. It's also nice to have a haste but outside of simply casting faster and going thorough the rotation quicker I'm not sure if it will have any other effects that will change up our rotation.

The Enochian thing as you explained it does sound more interesting than what I was expecting. The rest is so-so.

Enochian is a 30s buff that allows Fire 4 / Blizzard 4. Both of those spells do not refresh AF/UI but Fire 4 is basically a stronger Fire 1 but with a lower MP cost (+50% Damage, 83% the cost based off video numbers) while Blizzard 4 refreshes Enochian's duration (-5s per refresh; 30s -> 25s -> 20s etc).

So the rotation then becomes using Enochian to allow for Fire 4 to be cast, Fire 1 / Firestarter procs to keep up AF3, Blizzard 4 to refresh Enochian, and then the normal UI/AF cycling for MP. It desyncs the rotation from being strict MP cycling and more about a buff upkeep cycle.

Xux

All these job additions sound so cool. Even the Bard fix has me interested in the job again.

I'll probably stick to WAR/MNK/BLM, tho.

Tomat

Enochian is a 30s buff that allows Fire 4 / Blizzard 4. Both of those spells do not refresh AF/UI but Fire 4 is basically a stronger Fire 1 but with a lower MP cost (+50% Damage, 83% the cost based off video numbers) while Blizzard 4 refreshes Enochian's duration (-5s per refresh; 30s -> 25s -> 20s etc).

So the rotation then becomes using Enochian to allow for Fire 4 to be cast, Fire 1 / Firestarter procs to keep up AF3, Blizzard 4 to refresh Enochian, and then the normal UI/AF cycling for MP. It desyncs the rotation from being strict MP cycling and more about a buff upkeep cycle.
Okay, wow. That does sound pretty cool after all.

Phenomic

If I remember right, didn't the Live Letter mention the 23rd as the last day of the embargo?

Yay I love when other people confirm that I'm not absolutely insane. I know someone during that thing said the 23rd they must have just been off a few days because I would imagine it would already be lifted by noon PST.

Valor

If I remember right, didn't the Live Letter mention the 23rd as the last day of the embargo?

Yes. Yes it did. Good call.
131008_shutdownimpact7.jpg

Redx508

Redacting the name suggests it was intended as a mean joke.

Plus it wasn't funny anyway. (and sounds like the type of poor joke Eric would say in South park in that one episode)

not sure if you were online at that time but tiduz was online and talking in chat so its not like the "joke" with made behind his back or something he was saying he had no money to teleport or something like that

IvorB

Never been throttled before funnily enough. (max package internet wise). Been with them several years now.

Sky was okay but throttled me quite a bit when I was with them and Tiscali... was the worst internet provider I've experienced ever. EVER. They were so horrible ;-; slow, worst customer service, etc. /rant

Nah, they've only ever throttled me one month when I downloaded 2TB in a month. On the max package, there's barely any throttling unless you use the shit out of it.

Really? Maybe they've changed. I was with them ages ago and it was one of the worst customer service experiences of my life and that's saying something for England. I'll never go with any of those huge companies again.

All this talk of Bards. At least they get something exciting.

Any other black mages around here not too thrilled about our additions?

Front%20cam45383.gif

Stuart444

not sure if you were online at that time but tiduz was online and talking in chat so its not like the "joke" with made behind his back or something he was saying he had no money to teleport or something like that

I wasn't online at the time so if he was there, then that's okay :). Just the way it was posted without any context made me think it was said behind his back (which I am not a fan of).

Mind you, my comment about it sounding like what Cartman would say in South Park (that episode where he is the poorest kid in school without Kenny) is still accurate.

So yeah, no worries then, just needed some context for it ^^

Really? Maybe they've changed. I was with them ages ago and it was one of the worst customer service experiences of my life and that's saying something for England. I'll never go with any of those huge companies again.

Either they have changed (which is certainly possible) or people on high/max broadband packages don't have to worry about anything like that?

Of course I have heard bad stories about them a while ago so I know others have it bad with them anyway. It's just one of those things.

edit: Anyway... when Early Access starts, how much of the day will be maint? I'm expecting a good half at least. With the OF exploding with rage over it. :D

Redx508

I wasn't online at the time so if he was there, then that's okay :). Just the way it was posted without any context made me think it was said behind his back (which I am not a fan of).

Mind you, my comment about it sounding like what Cartman would say in South Park (that episode where he is the poorest kid in school without Kenny) is still accurate.

lol is ok

Teknoman

So new Paladin shield combos, will they be command blocks, or just something that ups the rate? I'd like to be able to 100% block one big hit.

You pre-order at participating retailers, get a pre-order code, apply that to your FFXIV account, and gain access to Early Access as well as a few other pre-order bonus items.

I mean how am I going to play without the physical disc? Presumably on release day physical copy buyers will use the disc to install the major game data of the expansion (not counting patches afterwards obviously).

So I'll essentially have to download the expansion in order to participate in early access? That's what I was looking to avoid with physical.

Tomat

I mean how am I going to play without the physical disc? Presumably on release day physical copy buyers will use the disc to install the major game data of the expansion (not counting patches afterwards obviously).

So I'll essentially have to download the expansion in order to participate in early access? That's what I was looking to avoid with physical.

Once you apply the code you'll download it all most likely. I have a physical disk for the base game but I never use it, and even when I did I still had to download like 10+ GBs of patches/game anyway.

Sweet baby jesus.

It's moving along now and will at least finish sometime today.

*edit*
1599215cf5.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

chrono01

Oh sorry, that's what you meant.

Yeah, as Tomat said. All you need is the Client which you can download for free. As long as your account is valid for the Early Access, you just log I like normal [after the game patches the appropriate files].

You won't even need to use the Heavensward disc(s) when you receive it. All you need to do is keep the actual client up-to-date and you can simply continue playing [after you register the product key in your Mog Station account, of course].

Once you apply the code you'll download it all most likely. I have a physical disk for the base game but I never use it, and even when I did I still had to download like 10+ GBs of patches/game anyway.

It's moving along now and will at least finish sometime today.

*edit*
1599215cf5.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh sorry, that's what you meant.

Yeah, as Tomat said. All you need is the Client which you can download for free. As long as your account is valid for the Early Access, you just log I like normal [after the game patches the appropriate files].

You won't even need to use the Heavensward disc(s) when you receive it. All you need to do is keep the actual client up-to-date and you can simply continue playing [after you register the product key in your Mog Station account, of course].

I have a bandwidth cap so that's why I want to avoid downloading large files when possible.

Guess I'll just have to take the hit this time.

Tomat

I have a bandwidth cap so that's why I want to avoid downloading large files when possible.

Guess I'll just have to take the hit this time.

That sucks. Physical PC games are more or less glorified CD keys these days. Many of them at least.

RK9039

Warriors getting a DPS stance...

200.gif

Yeah the new stance sounds pretty awesome, you can switch between Defiance and the new stance, Deliverance, while maintaining the stacks. So cool. Raw Intuition seems like a really good skill as well so long as you take the hit head on and not from the side.

Dark Knight has some interesting skills too and also has this stance switching mechanic the Warrior will now have while tanking.

IvorB

Either they have changed (which is certainly possible) or people on high/max broadband packages don't have to worry about anything like that?

Of course I have heard bad stories about them a while ago so I know others have it bad with them anyway. It's just one of those things.

edit: Anyway... when Early Access starts, how much of the day will be maint? I'm expecting a good half at least. With the OF exploding with rage over it. :D

I was on unlimited too but there were still so many issues. Just one of those things I guess.

I changed my mind. Didn't know how the fire/blizzard stuff works at all. It sounds fun.

Yoshida hooked us up, man. :) It may not be the most exciting thing in the world but Haste is huge. That's a pretty great damage boost already even without anything else. And that's just the side dish compared to the Enkido (sp?) stuff. I can't wait to see how it all pieces together.

Stuart444

So beat T12 tonight. It was a fun fight and those cutscenes.... soooo goood.

It took us a few runs to learn everything but we got it down mostly. I have two vids, one of Alices PoV and one of mines but since I need to edit mines via the YT editor, I'll post hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJPfFzko4c

I did derp a little near the start at this. I have no idea why but I decided it was a good idea to run into the blackfire after it was up. Because why not... (edit: My PoV vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbkxM3-fJAM )

Besides the few mess ups we had, this last run was good. Thanks again to those who helped us beat it <3.

Also thanks to those who came along for our T13 learning run. We still have a few issues with Phase 1/2 to iron out but we've got it mostly. And Alice is going to work on her right analogue stick movement to help during the locate bahamut for dive bomb phase. Thanks to Felix as well for suggesting to up the 3rd person camera angle setting, put it up to 60 so hopefully that makes it easier to see where bahamut is during that phase.

Only sad we never got to see the final phase but we'll get there I think. Will probably use DF to practice Phases 1 - 2 at some point during the week. Since no one (with a brain) expects to win a fight like that in a DF party where most people will probably be learning (or queuing for fun lol).

Thanks again to those that helped/came along for each fight, really appreciated <3

Tomat

^^congrats!

Yoshida hooked us up, man. :) It may not be the most exciting thing in the world but Haste is huge. That's a pretty great damage boost already even without anything else. And that's just the side dish compared to the Enkido (sp?) stuff. I can't wait to see how it all pieces together.

Depending on how exactly the rotation works with Blizzard 4 and Fire 4, the Haste spell could make it even more interesting with fast cast refreshes through Blizzard 4 or something.

I do wish the Haste thing was AoE, since it kinda looked like it could have been based on the spell effect graphics. It would be interesting to see the healers and other casters rushing over to the BLM, but at the same time it might make them all stand around next to each other during fights which would be not so great, lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Where can I see a full list of the new moves with their explanations? Anyone got a link?
Here's the trailer they released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbvv0rgrT4k

If you want to see the Live Letter it's up on Twitch (Job actions talk starts around 1:25) or you can read the recap Xux posted. Only BLM got a live demonstration, everything else was clips from the job actions trailer without UI followed by them talking about what they had just shown.

IvorB

Depending on how exactly the rotation works with Blizzard 4 and Fire 4, the Haste spell could make it even more interesting with fast cast refreshes through Blizzard 4 or something.

I do wish the Haste thing was AoE, since it kinda looked like it could have been based on the spell effect graphics. It would be interesting to see the healers and other casters rushing over to the BLM, but at the same time it might make them all stand around next to each other during fights which would be not so great, lol

Yeah I think it would be pretty annoying if everyone had to stand next to the black mage to get Haste. I wonder how pronounced the Haste effect will be. It could change the way the job feels quite a bit if it's very pronounced.

So when everybody is post-level 60 what will happen to the content there is now? Will they level-synch Coil and CT and stuff? I'd imagine even T13 would become pretty easy for someone post-level 60...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom