• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croyles

You're kinda missing the point about similar lighting and colors, because I never said anything about architecture.

That particular colour of light (at least indoors) is a staple of many gothic buildings including churches, cathedrals and the like (because of stained glass windows and the lamps that they use etc).
Outside is just sunrise/sunset.

Don't get me wrong it looks beautiful.

Croyles

Is it me or does a lot Bed gear suck stat wise? "You get skill speed and you get skill speed!!". EVERYONE GETS SKILLSPEED!

Who knows. With the bard changes possibly making bloodletter procs less dominant and the changes to skill speed, it could prove to be the best stat.

I feel ya though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to SMN come expansion.

Yeah, not gonna lie, they sold me on the class with the new trance mode.
Meanwhile on OF:
"What's so cool about that ability, it's just a pillar of light".
Aw, how cute.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeah, not gonna lie, they sold me on the class with the new trance mode.
Meanwhile on OF:
"What's so cool about that ability, it's just a pillar of light".
Aw, how cute.

I'm convinced the official forums are full of people who have trouble breathing on their own.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member
That particular colour of light (at least indoors) is a staple of many gothic buildings including churches, cathedrals and the like (because of stained glass windows and the lamps that they use etc).
Outside is just sunrise/sunset.

Don't get me wrong it looks beautiful.

Even WoW did it
i1Xemg5l.jpg

Like others said, it's a staple of Gothic structures that are filled with the bad guys, or filled with demons.

aceface

I thought it was interesting story wise that the main cathedral (? It looked pretty big) of the Holy See is apparently a dungeon you have to fight your way through.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I thought it was interesting story wise that the main cathedral (? It looked pretty big) of the Holy See is apparently a dungeon you have to fight your way through.

I guess
Ishgard-Coerthas Western is where the expac begins and the first thing we do is take down the corrupt government, lol. Then we move on to Dravania to try and talk some sense into dragons, while knocking over a hornet's nest of Ravana and his bugs, then we visit old Sharyalan settlements higher in Dravania, after which we take to the skies to actually deal with the dragons and I guess Bismarck is gonna provide a detour in there somewhere.

And then there's the Floating Continent which seems to come last so there must be some TWEEEST for the plot to end up climaxing there of all places.

Allard

I guess
Ishgard-Coerthas Western is where the expac begins and the first thing we do is take down the corrupt government, lol. Then we move on to Dravania to try and talk some sense into dragons, while knocking over a hornet's nest of Ravana and his bugs, then we visit old Sharyalan settlements higher in Dravania, after which we take to the skies to actually deal with the dragons and I guess Bismarck is gonna provide a detour in there somewhere.

And then there's the Floating Continent which seems to come last so there must be some TWEEEST for the plot to end up climaxing there of all places.

Well the Ascians were shown on the floating continent and we do see the Triad statues in previous trailers, not to mention we know Omega weapon is going to show up at some point too, combine all that with the Garlemald emperor in the sea of clouds and there could easily be a cocktail mix of people rushing to the floating continent to either stop or obtain some kind of hidden power. Possibly Omega, but hopefully something even grander (as I would rather not have the final boss of the 3.0 main storyline be Omega weapon after the 2.0 boss was ultima weapon...)

Eitherway looking forward to how the story plays out. What happens in this story will likely pave the way for a lot of future stories and content so it should be interesting.

MechaX

So... Uh... I just really caught up with the new Job stuff. And I knew about Bard's DPS mode in passing, but then I started reading what Minuet actually is (and went through an entire OF topic on how BARD IS DOOOMED because of it). My reaction now:

tumblr_nhmtf8Qzc61u2rqnho1_500.gif

I... guess I'll wait until Heavensward to see how they managed to fuck this up.

Stuart444

So beat T10 and T11 today with the help of FCCCoB today.

T10 went mostly okay. A few small mess ups on my part such as for some reason, deciding to eat tether and then wild charge (still have no idea why I did that) but besides that, it went smooth and we beat it in one pull. No vid since I forgot to record and Alice forgot to save a vid on the PS4 lol.

T11 was a lot harder than it looked in vids and we were pretty tired by this point. But we somehow won after quite a few attempts and I was resigned to not beating it tonight. I was happy when we beat it though :D

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bolDYaJJCC0

Thanks again to those who helped us <3

Tomorrow, hopefully T12 :D I've been looking forward to the T12 boss for a while.

dcye

If BRD ends up being stationary I'm not sure I'll be playing much of Heavensward, I enjoy being versatile and mobile far too much and if I wanted to be stuck in place and boring as shit I'd play BLM. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Qvoth

i think they made a clarification, it's not that you can't move, it's just that your actions have a casting time, so if you move during the cast time it gets interrupted
so not as flexible as brds currently are, but not as stationary as blms

dcye

Meh I'm not gonna get fiery about it or anything, if that's the way they want go with the class then I have no qualms about it but I won't be playing as much as I have if they do. I won't wanna raid like that and if I don't raid I won't be playing much as that's the main enjoyment I take from the game. No lost sleep, life goes on.

Valor

It sounds more like the way we know how to deeps as Bard is gonna be pretty overhauled in 3.0. However, SOMEONE is refusing to spill the bard beans, so we're stuck until Tuesday to try and guess. So mean.

iammeiam

Meh I'm not gonna get fiery about it or anything, if that's the way they want go with the class then I have no qualms about it but I won't be playing as much as I have if they do. I won't wanna raid like that and if I don't raid I won't be playing much as that's the main enjoyment I take from the game. No lost sleep, life goes on.

My biggest objection is that I wasn't interested in this the first time they brought it up:

Yoshida at PAX East:
What happens when you install an attachment?
Y: When you have an attachment installed, there will be a reservoir that generates charge prior to firing.

Will this be kind of like casting time for a magic spell?
Y: Yes. The power will be increased with the delay, but if you move in the middle of a charge, the skill will be cancelled. Therefore, when you do install an attachment, you should plan to attack from a more stationary position.

So either their solution to the mobility vs DPS issue on both ranged physical DPS classes is going to be the exact same thing (remove mobility entirely for DPS!), or we're getting a repurposed machinist skill. It's a so-far underwhelming solution to a class problem, simultaneously stripping out constant freedom of movement and apparently creating spans of time where the button-mashing that keeps bard entertaining can't happen.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Mobility is overrated. Why do you want to run around so much anyway? Imagine in a dungeon where the pull is happening, you'll probably gonna be a bit outside of the action, shooting from afar, and if you're running around for no reason, then what are you doing, other than missing auto-attacks from not strafing properly?

All it means is that bards will now have to strategize, do they want to remain mobile or do they want higher DPS and if you do want to do as much DPS as black mages do, there's gotta be some trade-off, no? It's only logical that a shooter is gonna perform better when they take time to stand and aim their shot as opposed to wantonly running around. If you think about it, you stand in place a lot more than you think.

I don't even like Bard.

Guess Who

Banned
Mobility is overrated. Why do you want to run around so much anyway? Imagine in a dungeon where the pull is happening, you'll probably gonna be a bit outside of the action, shooting from afar, and if you're running around for no reason, then what are you doing, other than missing auto-attacks from not strafing properly?

All it means is that bards will now have to strategize, do they want to remain mobile or do they want higher DPS and if you do want to do as much DPS as black mages do, there's gotta be some trade-off, no? It's only logical that a shooter is gonna perform better when they take time to stand and aim their shot as opposed to wantonly running around. If you think about it, you stand in place a lot more than you think.

I don't even like Bard.

As a brd I *do* know how to strafe and use lock-on to make sure autoattacks continue landing, and I like jumping around because running shit you've run a million times before is boring as fuck and being able to run and jump around for no reason helps kill boredom

Frumix

Suffering From Success
As a brd I *do* know how to strafe and use lock-on to make sure autoattacks continue landing, and I like jumping around because running shit you've run a million times before is boring as fuck and being able to run and jump around for no reason helps kill boredom

If you have to find entertainment in that, I think your problem with the game isn't exactly with a dps stance.

Guess Who

Banned
If you have to find entertainment in that, I think your problem with the game isn't exactly with a dps stance.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but come on, there doesn't have to be a rational game-design reason for it. Running around and shooting at the same time is just simple stupid fun and something other classes can't do, and making it so that bards are gonna be expected to have that song up unless a fight requires a lot of dodging or they're playing another song takes away from that a bit.

Well I've finally leveled a DPS class to 50, a Bard. It'll be a long time before I do that again.

I will admit though that the grind from 45-50 was more soul crushing when I leveled my WHM, SCH and PLD back in 2013 than it is now.

iammeiam

I don't even like Bard.

Then I don't know why you're trying to explain how bard should be played to people who do.

I don't *need* to lock-on and run in circles around a pack of mobs spamming Quick Nock in dungeons, but I do it because it's entertaining to me and part of what I enjoyed about the class. I can run around doing dumb things and suffer no DPS penalty for it! Good times! Under the Minuet system, I'm going to throw up Foe Req, throw up Minuet, and then stand there pushing Quick Nock every GCD and doing... nothing... in between. Even worse, while Minuet is up I'm going to have downtime on every attack where I'm doing nothing. No weaving while the cast is going on. No bloodletter spam. No movement. I'm just going to stand there. There are already classes I could play if I wanted to do that!

My objection is the idea that the _only_ way to add DPS to a mobile class is by depriving them of mobility. The idea that the only way to add strategy and complexity to the class is to staple on the same limitation suffered by other ranged classes is just a basic failure of imagination.

Maybe the mystery three skills we don't know about will be fun, but it's discouraging that their 'fix' to a class whose primary selling point was mobility is encouraging no mobility.

Teknoman

Well...finished up 2.0 story and got my feet wet (drenched) in Turn 6. I think I accomplished alot...

lol its gotta be a mix more or less. I wonder how people are gonna handle Alexander... I'm going to need to be on point so im there to dive in head first. So much more fun to actually experience and learn mechanics (yes I know im sounding like a broken record at this point). Of course, its not like you dont actually have to learn them when doing the fight regardless.

EDIT: About Raubaun *Ending spoilers*
Did he have a prosthetic all this time, or is it just that the game doesnt have blood and he has a REALLY high tolerance for pain during that whole bloodrage thing
? Also everyone is triple crossing everyone, even the bad guys lol.

Everyone's moaning about this new Bard mechanic as if they're forced to use it

You are if you care even the slightest about min/maxing or pushing raid fights without drastically overgearing them. If it is actually a noticeable dps increase, you will be bringing down your raid if you do not learn how to use it correctly.

Shamdeo

Did he have a prosthetic all this time, or is it just that the game doesnt have blood and he has a REALLY high tolerance for pain during that whole bloodrage thing

Standards to categorize depictions of violence for age-appropriate audiences vary from region to region, and sometimes that accounts for the dissonance between what we saw in-game versus the pre-rendered "standalone" cinematic.

I believe there was a comment made at FanFest or in some other bit Fern did, that they couldn't show an arrow penetrating flesh because that would bump up the rating in a certain region.

That ESRB T-rating (or CERO/PEGI equivalent) is important for Square Enix to hit from a marketing standpoint too, so... yeah...

This is still a rated T for Teen game, so they probably couldn't show the blood due to that. But if you watch the Heavensward opening movie, you'll see some lovely, pre-rendered blood in the Visual Works recreation of that scene.

Edit: Damn it, Grimm!

Nohar

Everyone's moaning about this new Bard mechanic as if they're forced to use it

If to maximise our DPS we have to use that mecanic, then yes we are forced to use it, especially for end-game content where every DPS counts. Not using it would be forgoing a useful tool we have available to increase our DPS. It would be the same thing as Bards not using their offensive cooldowns, or forgetting to refresh their DoTs. It would be inefficient, and it wouldn't take long before Bards not using it would be frown upon.

Teknoman

Standards to categorize depictions of violence for age-appropriate audiences vary from region to region, and sometimes that accounts for the dissonance between what we saw in-game versus the pre-rendered "standalone" cinematic.

I believe there was a comment made at FanFest or in some other bit Fern did, that they couldn't show an arrow penetrating flesh because that would bump up the rating in a certain region.

That ESRB T-rating (or CERO/PEGI equivalent) is important for Square Enix to hit from a marketing standpoint too, so... yeah...

This is still a rated T for Teen game, so they probably couldn't show the blood due to that. But if you watch the Heavensward opening movie, you'll see some lovely, pre-rendered blood in the Visual Works recreation of that scene.

Edit: Damn it, Grimm!

Ah gotcha, makes sense. Forgot that FF0 got the M rating for that reason.

I'd say this is pretty standard MMO complaints before an expansion. I can't imagine what their official boards look like. I shudder the thought.

Petitions. Petitions as far as the eye can see.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Then I don't know why you're trying to explain how bard should be played to people who do.

Because I played bard at cap in FCOB and have an idea of how to play it? But regardless, I didn't say I necessarily appreciate what they're going for with rebalancing, I'm just pointing out where the whole concept is coming from. Bards mostly suffer a DPS penalty right now simply by... well, being a bard. It's how casters really shine in damage when they get to hit multiple mobs at once. Ultimately nobody's gonna take your fun away from you, you can just ignore Minuet most of the time just like most healers ignore Cleric Stance. Maybe there's gonna be fights where by not using Minuet you are being a better credit to team than when you do. In fact there probably will be such fights, there already are such fights. Perhaps there's a better way to go about upgrading bard, surely, but in expansion, most of the classes are getting some kind of risk-vs-reward mechanic that they're required to master if they want to eke out better damage out of their class. This kind of effort will fall on deaf ears for most of the playerbase as only people who raid seriously care about doing highest possible damage rather than just having fun going pew pew or stab stab. If they make both approaches to bard viable depending on situations presented, I'll be impressed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that waiting until we see the receipts is probably wise.

Kenai

I don't *need* to lock-on and run in circles around a pack of mobs spamming Quick Nock in dungeons, but I do it because it's entertaining to me and part of what I enjoyed about the class. I can run around doing dumb things and suffer no DPS penalty for it! Good times! Under the Minuet system, I'm going to throw up Foe Req, throw up Minuet, and then stand there pushing Quick Nock every GCD and doing... nothing... in between. Even worse, while Minuet is up I'm going to have downtime on every attack where I'm doing nothing. No weaving while the cast is going on. No bloodletter spam. No movement. I'm just going to stand there. There are already classes I could play if I wanted to do that!

My objection is the idea that the _only_ way to add DPS to a mobile class is by depriving them of mobility. The idea that the only way to add strategy and complexity to the class is to staple on the same limitation suffered by other ranged classes is just a basic failure of imagination.

Maybe the mystery three skills we don't know about will be fun, but it's discouraging that their 'fix' to a class whose primary selling point was mobility is encouraging no mobility.

It's not really Frumix saying it though so much as SE. It's clear now that they don't want DPS specs who don't have to worry about "casting time" *or* positionals, so they chose "casting time" as the ranged DPS thing and positionals for melee (new NIN stuff), despite NIN already being as complicated as it is in spite of no positionals outside SA/TA.

I can understand you wanting to run around kinda sorta, but at the same time it's a lot of extra stress that you didn't have to deal with, that everyone else does (losing significant options and/or DPS while moving cause mechanics) and I guess since BRD already had a "perma party slot" due to utility as well as justified reasons for lower DPS via song debuff stuff, they want a more genuine DPS difference between bards that mechanics vs those who do not. If the only discernible thing lost is a sense of freedom to run around aimlessly cause whatever vs the notable DPS gain from proper Minuet management turreting, then SE simply might not care and in fact wants it that way.

I won't act like it's not a nerf to have to stand still to squeeze iut deeps. but in this particular context I do not feel it's totally unjustified to expect some additional mechanical responsibility via standing vs moving. There may have been other solutions to distinguish the working BRD from a freeloading one, but I certainly can't think of one, and I guess SE couldn't either. There might even be significant things available to do while turreting to make the moving OCD lost less boring (but then again, maybe not). I do kinda wish we knew more than we do now considering the expansion is a month away and we have no PTR, and that likely means we do not in fact have the whole story about BRD's new rotation under Minuet, but I am fairly confident about SE's particular intentions with this. It is my genuine hope that they don't make it too boring to turret, though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since I remembered that PS4 supports the unifying feature of Logitech wireless mouses and keyboards, I just ordered a new mouse.
Hopefully this will solve the random cursor locks where I can click the buttons but can't move the cursor which happens roughly once per fight and can be fixed only by moving the battery (turning the mouse off and on using the button on it didn't work).

zogged

Ok, so I finally caved and picked up the game. How do the servers work? when it says NA/EU data center does that mean that both EU and NA players share the same server or that they overlap for the dungeon finder or similar things?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I, for one, welcome our Ranger Stance overlords. There are more changes as well so whining about one thing you haven't even used yet is absolutely pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom