• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The top was okay and dyable but then the tail erection... why? And this:

Never forget. But, yeah, more robes is cool in principle. I don't mind the butt-wings actually; they kind of grew on me ha ha! I'm here all week, folks...

Scylla sets are awesome, don't be hating. You just gotta wear it like you own it.

iammeiam

Which makes no sense to me as to why it has a cast time unless it's an initial cast time but "switching" is free ... but it makes no sense to have it work that way either? Meh. Hopefully it's far easier to switch back and forth between the two otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It all kind of makes sense if you decide to be incredibly cynical and treat it as them slapping bard paint on a system CTRL-X+CTRL-V'd over from machinist. IIRC, attachments and switching were instant, but to add that bard aura you make it a song.

I'm relatively sure the core structure behind the Wanderer's songs is going to be sound, but as a fit for where it ended up... Eh.

scy

It all kind of makes sense if you decide to be incredibly cynical and treat it as them slapping bard paint on a system CTRL-X+CTRL-V'd over from machinist. IIRC, attachments and switching were instant, but to add that bard aura you make it a song.

I'm relatively sure the core structure behind the Wanderer's songs is going to be sound, but as a fit for where it ended up... Eh.

Last I saw, Machinist still had the attachments and charge-shots it seemed like? Maybe it was an out of date blurb on the sheet.

Guess we just need to wait for a Bard to have been at the event. Seriously, where are these people when you need them.

iammeiam

Last I saw, Machinist still had the attachments and charge-shots it seemed like? Maybe it was an out of date blurb on the sheet.

Guess we just need to wait for a Bard to have been at the event. Seriously, where are these people when you need them.

Machinist still has attachments, but the only thing I've seen out of the event about them is that they jack up skill TP cost. When I commented on wanting to hear about attachments/charge times on the one guy's post, he just responded that he'd covered the attachment and Ammo systems.

Bards can't read or write. They're all singing angrily in France, probably.

Valor

Need to remember that it's pretty likely that auto-attacks are going to be less of our damage output at level 60. If the potency of auto-attacks doesn't change and stays at an average of 100 per 3 seconds and the potency per second of the new rotations increases (if they didn't, why would you even use them?), then auto-attacks will be less important.
I already did garbage pail math for this and 25 wasn't the answer I saw. My spirit. She is broken.

Bard apparently to get TWO songs with 'wanderer' in the title that center around not moving.
Irony.

I'll be the Lone Ranger after all.
I thought you were going Machinist!?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally! A BLM gear set that I don't have to be ashamed to wear. It's about damn time, SE!

Need to see on fem roes before I get too excited.

It'll probably look like trash like 90% of casting gear does on them

Auction: Players can bid on drops with gil.
PAY TO WIN PAY TO WIN ABANDON SHIP

Wonder if it'll work like Blade & Soul where the players who lose the auction get gil.

scy

Fair point. It'll look especially awesome when you chop your legs off so you move less so that you do less damage than if you had auto attacks yoship why am i crying please make it stop.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the damage part of it? There's really no way using it would be net negative. That can be tweaked. The main focus should really be on how awful it feels to actually use the new stances.

Tomat

It was said that the gil from the winning auction will be split between the party.

That's awesome, really liked that system in B&S. Would still prefer Need & Greed or Lootmaster for most stuff. Nice to have the option though, should make for some interesting groups.

Croyles

Saw this in one of the documents someone has going for new abilities, wondering if that is actually true. That is beyond underwhelming if so and really just seems like something you would only use to put up your dots with and then use the ability that increases them with it.
Wow. That... Sounds like garbage. Doesn't even sound like they bothered to do the maths.

Time to become a machinist.

iammeiam

Wow. That... Sounds like garbage. Doesn't even sound like they bothered to do the maths.

Prove me wrong please

It seems like the advantage of the turret songs is going to be the skills locked exclusively to them--Sidewinder and whatever else. Make the potency high enough on those and the stances pull ahead easily since they're roughly in the ballpark without. But without details, we can't really run numbers.

It does make me wonder where Bard will end up DPS-wise; a lot is made out of how easy bard is compared to other DPS classes and that's fair, but bard also has a much, much lower DPS ceiling than anybody else. Even the most insane bard numbers I've seen are... like... 'passable' melee numbers at best. With some much bigger potency buff, Minuet might justify letting a bard turret, but unless the bonus skills are... crazy good or there's a massive rebalance of bard weapon damage bard is still going to end up DPS low-man. Probably with Machinist.

scy

For what it's worth, Bard auto-attacks are not like ... 30%+ of their DPS? Even without oGCDs, just having a few high potency shots added in can be enough to offset it. There's a lot of room for it to work out, really, without it being a huge buff. Though, well, it'd be nice if it was...

Besides that, they could just ... give you back that missing Weapon Damage too!

Edit: goddamnit? goddamnit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fair point. It'll look especially awesome when you chop your legs off so you move less so that you do less damage than if you had auto attacks yoship why am i crying please make it stop.

I'll check it out at E3 bro. Don't worry.

Croyles

For what it's worth, Bard auto-attacks are not like ... 30%+ of their DPS? Even without oGCDs, just having a few high potency shots added in can be enough to offset it. There's a lot of room for it to work out, really, without it being a huge buff. Though, well, it'd be nice if it was...

Besides that, they could just ... give you back that missing Weapon Damage too!

Edit: goddamnit? goddamnit.

We're not just talking about auto-attacks here. We lose Bloodletter weaving, 100% uptime and who knows wtf Barrage is now.

I'm good though, so many other classes.

Dragged the group kicking and screaming into Savage T6 today

By the end we were laughing and having so much fun people can't wait to run on Thursday.

Mission success?

scy

We're not just talking about auto-attacks here. We lose Bloodletter weaving, 100% uptime and who knows wtf Barrage is now.

If you want, you can time the casts yourself based off the video: They're not 2.5s cast times. Bloodletter weaving shouldn't really be an issue.

Barrage seems to just modify the next ability used based off the video.

Edit: That said, lack of real information is unfortunate. I'm just going to stick with I wouldn't worry too much on it being "better" than now or not. The question is more where they want the DPS ceiling (e.g., equivalent to melee? still below melee?) and then whether or not it's an enjoyable gameplay pattern.

Croyles

If you want, you can time the casts yourself based off the video: They're not 2.5s cast times. Bloodletter weaving shouldn't really be an issue.

Barrage seems to just modify the next ability used based off the video.

Edit: That said, lack of real information is unfortunate. I'm just going to stick with I wouldn't worry too much on it being "better" than now or not. The question is more where they want the DPS ceiling (e.g., equivalent to melee? still below melee?) and then whether or not it's an enjoyable gameplay pattern.

The DPS is the cause of the actual issue for me. I'm basically worried about this:

If the stance is a minimal dps increase Bards will be expected to use it all the time, essentially changing our class into a caster class for no reason. If it's a DPS nerf, no one uses it and Bard essentially gets no new abilities.
It just sounds... boring to me.

Of course this is all still speculation but that's all we have to go on so.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
xbmaNJ7.jpg

That's not a knife

scy

The DPS is the cause of the actual issue for me. I'm basically worried about this:

My point is raw numbers are the easiest thing to fix. "Oh, we expected them to be at Y DPS, boost the buff% / potencies to adjust it." It's literally the easiest thing to alter.

Croyles

My point is raw numbers are the easiest thing to fix. "Oh, we expected them to be at Y DPS, boost the buff% / potencies to adjust it." It's literally the easiest thing to alter.

Yes that's definitely true, but the question is will they change it. I love what the dev team has done with this game but let's be honest a lot of the intricacies of the jobs seem to be a bit of a mystery to them, simply by virtue of having to spend most of their time actually making the game.

First they have to actually get the feedback from the community, then there's the added time before realising if they are right or not, then divide that by the "Bard's have it too easy" factor and voilà it get's fixed a year after release. They may also just look at the end result and say "well you have 1.5% extra dps what's the problem" because they wanted to change Bard to caster all along.

I'm being totally over the top here just for the sake of it btw. I'm looking forward to everything else including the other jobs.

Valor

I'll check it out at E3 bro. Don't worry.
Take me with you.

Edit: That said, lack of real information is unfortunate. I'm just going to stick with I wouldn't worry too much on it being "better" than now or not.
I'm sure it'll be fine, but I worry when they basically revamp the class from the ground up when it wasn't broken. I'm sure it'll be fine. It has to be fine. It better be fine. Yoship the tears won't stop.
Find out what the fuck they're doing to Ninja while you're there. :(
tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

stop trying to make me feel better.

scy

I love what the dev team has done with this game but let's be honest a lot of the intricacies of the jobs seem to be a bit of a mystery to them, simply by virtue of having to spend most of their time actually making the game.

I guess we're technically agreeing here, then? I'm saying to focus more on those parts of the change. The why did they change it, what's the end goal of the radical redesign to how the class works, is this a good gameplay pattern to enforce, etc.

The "will it be good result wise" isn't really a big deal question imo since that's really just numbers to tweak.

What makes you say that?

If it is optional, and not the default of party finders or roulettes, it's fine. If it is the new default though then why wouldn't anyone just bid up to the max you can sell the item for on vanity items/pets, or just bid up items that you know others are running the instance for, knowing they will go higher. I really can't see a positive of the system.

Tomat

There's no way the auction system would be the default. You have to keep in mind that people would be bidding on items that cannot be traded on the marketboard as well. People driving up the price is a tactic that was used in Blade & Soul. You have to stop yourself and ask how much it's really worth at some point. Let someone drive the price up and stop outbidding them, take their money.

Croyles

I guess we're technically agreeing here, then? I'm saying to focus more on those parts of the change. The why did they change it, what's the end goal of the radical redesign to how the class works, is this a good gameplay pattern to enforce, etc.

The "will it be good result wise" isn't really a big deal question imo since that's really just numbers to tweak.

Yes we agree. I'm arguing that the "will it be good result wise" is directly related to how Bard will play/feel/be used.

I don't know what the conversation was about anymore now. I went to bed at 7pm and woke up at 3am my brain is mush.

There's no way the auction system would be the default. You have to keep in mind that people would be bidding on items that cannot be traded on the marketboard as well. People driving up the price is a tactic that was used in Blade & Soul. You have to stop yourself and ask how much it's really worth at some point. Let someone drive the price up and stop outbidding them, take their money.

Is it really worth the hassle though? Like I can't see a way that that loot system isn't just something to accommodate and encourage jerks. Like what exactly is the upside to it? I can't even imagine how much more terrible it would have been if this system was in place when I was endlessly running some instances to get specific pieces of armor.

Tomat

Is it really worth the hassle though? Like I can't see a way that that loot system isn't just something to accommodate and encourage jerks. Like what exactly is the upside to it? I can't even imagine how much more terrible it would have been if this system was in place when I was endlessly running some instances to get specific pieces of armor.

High Roller Pony Farm

I don't get why you keep imagining it's being used on random dungeon runs and not like a pony farm.

Thought I covered that with the vanity/pets comment. Guess I should have added a /mounts to it.

Fair enough though, just because I can't see a good use for it doesn't mean that is how everyone feels.

Tomat

Make friends with gillionaires who want vanity items really badly, do Auction groups with them, get rich quick.

dcye

Not liking what I'm seeing with BRD changes. Why would you completely revamp a class that isn't broken and make it so similar to all the other ranged DPS? Seems so weird to me. Makes me think they don't play the classes that much.

scy

Thought I covered that with the vanity/pets comment. Guess I should have added a /mounts to it.

Fair enough though, just because I can't see a good use for it doesn't mean that is how everyone feels.

Well, you brought up vanity/pets but in the vein of reselling it which doesn't really apply for things it'll most likely be used for, though your other bit about raising the price is the same thing I was getting at anyway I guess. It's entirely about a greed system, really? I mean, I agree it's kind of a silly thing but I'm just thinking of it as a means to get a profit on things you don't care about really. I wouldn't ever buy anything but I'd sit in on runs that people do.

On that note, I can't imagine it really working out long-term? It's really just an early thing for those kind of drops most likely? I dunno.

Make friends with gillionaires who want vanity items really badly, do Auction groups with them, get rich quick.

Guess that's why I'm not really feeling it. I wouldn't want to be forced to bid up/out bid friends for things we all really want and would just rather leave it up to random roll more then I would want to make da moneys.

You guys have pointed out ways that people would use the system though so even if it's not something that I would like I can at least see a use for that loot system. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom