• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you in game again?

Anyhow, I count that more as a problem with Mudra's rather than a problem with positionals. If they fix Mudra's (hopefully they will,) positionals shouldn't be a problem..

I'm Renault in-game.

And I don't have high hopes on them fixing Mudra's anytime soon (if at all) given their generic "we'll look into it" response.

BadRNG

And I don't have high hopes on them fixing Mudra's anytime soon (if at all) given their generic "we'll look into it" response.
They said they would look into it? That's better than last thing I heard about it, where they basically said it's people's internet's fault and not their problem.

scy

Living Dead sounds incredibly overpowered.

I can't wait.

Well, seems to be a Holmgang without the strict timing on the application ... but now I can expect hilarious poorly timed Benedictions to lead to wasting it.

The nice thing about the current tome system is that on the rare occasion I have two options for the same spot that aren't trash, I can swap stuff out to meet various acc caps without losing Dex or whatever. Less flexibility is for sucks.

What I was basically expecting like just more sub-stat options? So now I'm min/maxing across 3 sets of gear and not just 2.

Would also mean an extra ring option!

WolvenOne

Yes, Living Dead sounds incredibly OP. Not quite as OP as Hallowed Ground, but close.

....Dagnabit devs, fix Holmgang already! D: (I'd be happy with no-bind debuff if target resists debuff.)

The nice thing about the current tome system is that on the rare occasion I have two options for the same spot that aren't trash, I can swap stuff out to meet various acc caps without losing Dex or whatever. Less flexibility is for sucks.

Yeah, I always loved the equivalent ilvls between raiding gear and tome gear for reasons like that. Also the knowledge that even if you are super unlucky with drops, you still have an option for equivalent gear. It is one of the very few systems in FF14 that I have felt could be a better design choice when compared to other mmorpgs.

It is a different strokes scenerio though. Personally I've never raided for the prestige or rep, and always just for the fun of it/people I am doing it with. There are people who having that extra indication of their accomplishments is a huge driving force for them to do it, and that isn't a bad thing, just a different thing. Having that exclusively different look for raiding gear was a good way to accomplish that with the system that FF14 has, but that still isn't enough for everyone. Like I said, different strokes.

iammeiam

What I was basically expecting like just more sub-stat options? So now I'm min/maxing across 3 sets of gear and not just 2.

Would also mean an extra ring option!

Where are you getting 3 sets? The thing this morning ranked Alex story below capped tome gear, and Alex Savage as above capped tome. The only visual indicator of the difference would be dye, but it thought the discussion was about the impact of raider iLevel superiority on gear choices. 3 would be awesome, I'm more concerned about the implications of 1 supreme set.

scy

Where are you getting 3 sets? The thing this morning ranked Alex story below capped tome gear, and Alex Savage as above capped tome. The only visual indicator of the difference would be dye, but it thought the discussion was about the impact of raider iLevel superiority on gear choices. 3 would be awesome, I'm more concerned about the implications of 1 supreme set.

No, I was just saying I'm hoping for a third set even at the same ilvl. It can be the same visually but dyeable but it would be nice to have an extra set of secondary stat combinations to work with. Since ilvl increase leads to weird situations this would at least be a nice "compromise" of both sides.

I'm thankful for the info but this stream is why this method of revealing news is terrible. So much "I'm not sure/don't remember".

I'm a bit surprised he didn't like ... type everything up the moment he had any free time?

I don't see how it's OP unless it can be used to avoid mechanics.

Yeah, the best part of it is that it starts the timer for the death resistance literally the moment you need it. Besides that, it's not really doing too much else unless there's some like second mechanic you can stretch it into due to the 10s timer (but need to then time a Benediction for a quick response).

WolvenOne

I don't see how it's OP unless it can be used to avoid mechanics.

It's OP compared to Holmgang, which is usually a last resort for Warriors since it both binds your movements and has such a short duration that it's difficult to fully utilize.

Living Dead takes most of the timing issues off the table and doesn't have the bind effect. Those are two pretty darn big advantages.

Stuart444

Living Dead sounds incredibly overpowered.

I can't wait.

DRK in dungeon.

Pulls as much as possible (assume BLM/WHM/Another Class with good AoE)

Living Dead

WHM Holy spam (with presence of mind on)

wait til 2 - 4 seconds roughly left on the zombie timer.

Benediction (not affected by Cleric stance making this ideal for a 100% heal)

Mob will probably be dead by this time, if not. Heal normally while DPS finishes off the mobs remains.

scy

It's OP compared to Holmgang, which is usually a last resort for Warriors since it both binds your movements and has such a short duration that it's difficult to fully utilize.

Or you plan to use it to skip mechanics entirely (e.g., T12 Revelation is a non-issue with Holmgang and lets you skip a tank swap if you want).

Holmgang is a fairly bad "oh shit" button but a pretty good planned cooldown.

iammeiam

How long is it between the first and last Akh Morn hit in the Holmgang AM? Cover gives healers some breathing wiggle room to land a heal on a warrior; trying to figure out how narrow the DRK window would be, since a full heal causes the status to fall off. Seems to move the timing stress off the tank onto the healer. Especially if Bene isn't up.

WolvenOne

Or you plan to use it to skip mechanics entirely (e.g., T12 Revelation is a non-issue with Holmgang and lets you skip a tank swap if you want).

Holmgang is a fairly bad "oh shit" button but a pretty good planned cooldown.

If I recall correctly, (I may not,) Hallowed Ground can be use the same way, Living Dead can probably be used to the same effect as well. Sure Holmgang has some decent uses as a pre-planned Cooldown, but as you've said, it's a lousy (Oh crap button.)

Only real thing it has going for it, is that the Cooldown is ready to go again before Hallowed.

scy

How long is it between the first and last Akh Morn hit in the Holmgang AM? Cover gives healers some breathing wiggle room to land a heal on a warrior; trying to figure out how narrow the DRK window would be, since a full heal causes the status to fall off. Seems to move the timing stress off the tank onto the healer. Especially if Bene isn't up.

Akh Morn #2 is 3s from start to finish; the reason the Holmgang timing is weird is since you need it to be factored in before the cast resolves. So Living Dead actually has a _lot_ of extra time there. It would work on any of the Akh Morns.

scy

They're most likely the basic tome gear so they have the shared look for Tank, Healer, Caster, Melee, and Ranged.

iammeiam

The i170 gear sets for those who missed them. Really liking the look of the caster gear.

Where are the hats?

Akh Morn #2 is 3s from start to finish; the reason the Holmgang timing is weird is since you need it to be factored in before the cast resolves. So Living Dead actually has a _lot_ of extra time there. It would work on any of the Akh Morns.

That's definitely a hell of a lot more time left than I thought (which shows how much attention I pay); question the becomes how far you can push it out before healing to 100% in the remaining time becomes a problem. Especially if RIP WHM ends up a thing and nobody can just Bene.

Eldren

Is it just me or do they all look mostly the same...

It's probably the color scheme :x

I think it's the number of shared sets too, it's becoming more obvious now with so many jobs. 3 tanks and 3 healers all share gear, plus MNK/NIN/DRG (I think), BRD/MCN, and BLM/SMN. So it's only 5 unique sets and they're thematically similar like the Ironworks gear.

Where are the hats?

Saving for the most important reveal for later.

scy

25% increase in potency for Wanderer's Minuet.

Pack it up, people. The class is dead.

Hm ... it's fairly close at 25% but there's room for it to be good enough. Really more about what are the other skills they have to go with this.

That's definitely a hell of a lot more time left than I thought (which shows how much attention I pay); question the becomes how far you can push it out before healing to 100% in the remaining time becomes a problem. Especially if RIP WHM ends up a thing and nobody can just Bene.

It's the forever+1 cast time that skews the perception a bit.

Omnicent

hmm the ability to extend buff durations for ast and party members (aoe). if that works on other things that are not cards then that will be really good

Eldren

looks nice. hats look sensible, but everything looks better on females in this game

I agree, except for all those leg pieces that come up way past the waistline and sit right under the belly button. They don't do that on male characters, only female characters. Makes glamouring more difficult because of the goofy looking high waisted gear.

Black Mage looks really cool but what are the male BLMs going to wear? I guess cross-dressing as Morticia Addams will be easier now at least...

It might be different on men and women, there's quite a few pieces that change depending on gender. If not, at least robes are cool, right?

scy

1B5aUD8.png

master race

Eldren

Hmmm... after tutu-gate and the tail erection fiasco I just don't know anymore...

I hope they learnt their lesson after that...the caster soldiery gear is horrendous (although I did get some use out of the tights for a while).

Now that is gear that looks good....no ugly gold trim or wings coming out of various orifices.

I'm not a fan of oddly places wings either so this is much more to my taste.

The bard and machinist look like they're wearing robes too? D:

It's hard to tell but I think (think) it might be similar to their AF and the saurian bard set, where it has like half of a long skirt thing going on, attached to the body piece. Maybe. Possibly.

The new raid gear looks pretty slick...at least it doesn't have a ton of gaudy wings like Dreadwyrm. Shared sets are fine with my armory space.

IvorB

I hope they learnt their lesson after that...the caster soldiery gear is horrendous (although I did get some use out of the tights for a while).

I'm not a fan of oddly places wings either so this is much more to my taste.

It's hard to tell but I think (think) it might be similar to their AF and the saurian bard set, where it has like half of a long skirt thing going on, attached to the body piece. Maybe. Possibly.

The top was okay and dyable but then the tail erection... why? And this:

Never forget. But, yeah, more robes is cool in principle. I don't mind the butt-wings actually; they kind of grew on me ha ha! I'm here all week, folks...

Talaysen

25% increase in potency for Wanderer's Minuet.

Pack it up, people. The class is dead.

Need to remember that it's pretty likely that auto-attacks are going to be less of our damage output at level 60. If the potency of auto-attacks doesn't change and stays at an average of 100 per 3 seconds and the potency per second of the new rotations increases (if they didn't, why would you even use them?), then auto-attacks will be less important.

RK9039

someone on reddit translated the game.watch article for DRK
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37dp0u/game_watch_dark_knight_segment/

It's pretty interesting. Sounds like it trends towards the WAR side of things.

They have the greatest amount of choices among the three tank jobs. Because of this without using your head, you won't be able to demonstrate their true potential. You could say this is a rather tricky tank.

My new tank class.

iammeiam

Bard apparently to get TWO songs with 'wanderer' in the title that center around not moving. Get hype for three seconds of cast time every time you want to swap: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37cwg1/heavensward_job_ability_specifics_document/crlph7t

Translation:
Once reached the new level cap (60) the Bard gets two new songs, Wanderer's Minuet and Wanderer's Paean. These two songs can be mantained together with one of the previous songs and will change radically the way the job is played. In fact, if one of the two is activated, other than being able to use new skills (such as Sidewinder, which deals damage depending on the presence of Venomous Bite and Wind Bite), it will be possible to gain an extra 25% of damage, although with the loss of auto-attacks and with the addition of a cast time for each skill. In other words, with Wanderer's Paean or Minuet activated, the Bard will act just like a Black Mage, with everything that comes with it.

Needing to have a BLM stance up to get access to Sidewinder would explain a lot.
There being two of them kind of makes it sound like they're expecting pretty solid wanderer uptime--possibly flip to one for dot application and the other for ???

scy

Bard apparently to get TWO songs with 'wanderer' in the title that center around not moving. Get hype for three seconds of cast time every time you want to swap.

Which makes no sense to me as to why it has a cast time unless it's an initial cast time but "switching" is free ... but it makes no sense to have it work that way either? Meh. Hopefully it's far easier to switch back and forth between the two otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

There being two of them kind of makes it sound like they're expecting pretty solid wanderer uptime--possibly flip to one for dot application and the other for ???

This does make more sense, though? Like, that there's two to alternate between instead of just "here's a single stance, keep it always on."

did zero bards show up to this event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom