• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croyles

Not liking what I'm seeing with BRD changes. Why would you completely revamp a class that isn't broken and make it so similar to all the other ranged DPS? Seems so weird to me. Makes me think they don't play the classes that much.

Yoshi-p plays BLM hence the super interesting BLM additions.

BRD's have gotten nothing but nerfs during the entire game. Even our songs are not that useful anymore. I think most of the don't really know anything about the class. BRD's aren't alone in that though.

Not liking what I'm seeing with BRD changes. Why would you completely revamp a class that isn't broken and make it so similar to all the other ranged DPS? Seems so weird to me. Makes me think they don't play the classes that much.

I remember reading somewhere that no one played DRG on the dev team. The same might be true here lol

scy

Guess that's why I'm not really feeling it. I wouldn't want to be forced to bid up/out bid friends for things we all really want and would just rather leave it up to random roll more then I would want to make da moneys.

Oh man, no, I'd just be there in PF and people I don't know lol

BadRNG

BRD's have gotten nothing but nerfs during the entire game. Even our songs are not that useful anymore. I think most of the don't really know anything about the class. BRD's aren't alone in that though.
Maybe you'll get more attention moving forward since you might not be guaranteed a party spot anymore. They seem to (try) and balance things around the question "why bring this class?" a lot of the time and until now BRD was pretty much required. Now they won't be complete special snowflakes, if they fall behind for whatever reason you could see buffs coming your way to compensate.

i just realized i'm going to be expected to do things with those 5 new pld abilities
Come on, no one pays attention to PLDs. As long as you aren't dead or losing aggro you can be as afk as you want! They can't take that from you! Fight the good fight!

Or die and feed the DRK army MP, whatever.

Redx508

Come on, no one pays attention to PLDs. As long as you aren't dead or losing aggro you can be as afk as you want! They can't take that from you! Fight the good fight!

Or die and feed the DRK army MP, whatever.

yep item box done the afk pld before i think it was in the last phase of T11 one time he when and got his door and we had no idea till he told us

Paladin will be a real class now.

More things to keep track of is good, especially in this game where it's easy to zzz on particular classes.

What I read so far is that they are getting a DoT combo off of Riot Blade, and an "offtank" combo which I assume is just straight damage with no enmity mod but it's possible it could be something more interesting.

I'm really considering making the switch from WAR to DRK for my tanking class. I want something that's more in the vain of WAR but much more forgiving if I'm trying to learn/screw something up. DRK might be it. Living Dead definitely trumps Holmgang for a lot of things. I think the biggest worry I would have with it is the MP management while OTing in the DPS stance. If I burn up too much MP it could be a thing when I need to swap. I bet is not as serious as I think it'll be however.

I'm definitely on board with making the switch to Machinist from SMN for my ranged class though. It seems like a much more fun BRD plus guns and shit. I think I'd rather deal with a turret that seems much more "set it and forget it" until I need to do something with it. It'd be easier on me than micromanaging Ifrit because he does dumb things.

Its Infuriating how dumb pets are in this game, and that goes double for your chocobo companions. "Oh hey your at less than 35% health?! think I'll cast CHOCO REGEN!!!!!111one".....

I'm really considering making the switch from WAR to DRK for my tanking class. I want something that's more in the vain of WAR but much more forgiving if I'm trying to learn/screw something up. DRK might be it. Living Dead definitely trumps Holmgang for a lot of things. I think the biggest worry I would have with it is the MP management while OTing in the DPS stance. If I burn up too much MP it could be a thing when I need to swap. I bet is not as serious as I think it'll be however.

I'm definitely on board with making the switch to Machinist from SMN for my ranged class though. It seems like a much more fun BRD plus guns and shit. I think I'd rather deal with a turret that seems much more "set it and forget it" until I need to do something with it. It'd be easier on me than micromanaging Ifrit because he does dumb things.

Its Infuriating how dumb pets are in this game, and that goes double for your chocobo companions. "Oh hey your at less than 35% health?! think I'll cast CHOCO REGEN!!!!!111one".....

Meanwhile Eos solo heal dungeons better than most random WHMs. But eh you know that's how it goes, like master like pet.

BadRNG

Hm, I got quite the different impression, seems like DRK may be the most punishing class and require the most forethought. Living Dead does give a bigger window but the MP management isn't just for DPS I think, you use it to buff/debuff the enemy as well while tanking. I'm expecting a lot of bad DRKs who can't manage MP correctly.

For choco companion, put it in the stance you want it to use the skills of for slightly better AI. In Free stance it feels almost random at times, but healer stance it will use heals a lot more often (and at higher HP thresholds)

Semper88

Hm, I got quite the different impression, seems like DRK may be the most punishing class and require the most forethought. Living Dead does give a bigger window but the MP management isn't just for DPS I think, you use it to buff/debuff the enemy as well while tanking. I'm expecting a lot of bad DRKs who can't manage MP correctly.

For choco companion, put it in the stance you want it to use the skills of for slightly better AI. In Free stance it feels almost random at times, but healer stance it will use heals a lot more often (and at higher HP thresholds)

Yea, i get that feeling too.

I am really curious how well DRK will be able to dps vs WAR.. Specially since WAR gets a new stance with actual DPS abilities.

I'll stay WAR during the beginning of HW so we raid on classes that we know. Once my WAR is 60 and raiding I will check the other classes.

Also getting both casters ready for the expansion. Raided as BLM yesterday, its boring and nice at the same time. Pretty sweet after a days hard work and you can just stand at a spot and fire away.

One cool change I don't think I've seen mentionned here(but it might have been) is that you can enter every 2.0 dungeon with less than 4 people and there's no level sync when you do so. Will be nice to help people around to do their story or whatever, since most 50(and even more so 60) can probably solo the old content, or at least duo with a healer. They had talked about it, but they seem to have confirmed it in one of the japanese interview.

T.O.P

Banned
Similar to Holmgang - Warrior’s go-to do-not-die ability - Dark Knights also get Living Dead: an ability which, during its duration, allows Dark Knights to persist through death. If they’re healed to 100% health during the triggered effect, they will not die, but if not, you get the gist of it.

This sounds amazing

So excited

MP management hasn't been a thing to me on any other class like WHM or SMN, so I can't see it being a huge deal here unless your unfamiliar with MP management in game. I can deal with that vs missing an ill-timed IB for a tank buster. Plus DRK gets a gap closer. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My impression so far is that it seems to be a nice in between for PLD and WAR that relies on resource management rather than relying on an IB esque skill.

I'm aware of the stances for the companion. It still doesn't stop him from doing dumb things when I really need him. He can't react like a player can and winds up trying to refresh choco surge when I really need him to cure me.

Mets9

Hello everyone!
Like a year ago I bought the ps3 version, but I didn't play it much, and now I would like to try it again.
I read it's soloable thanks to help of a "party system", so one of my concerns is already answered.
Now, I would like to play it on PC, and I need to buy the PC version, right?
I have some store credit on GMG, so I'll probably tae it from there, but is there a way to use the 14 days trial? I assume I'm not entitled to the trial since I already " played" a month of the game, right?

Hello everyone!
Like a year ago I bought the ps3 version, but I didn't play it much, and now I would like to try it again.
I read it's soloable thanks to help of a "party system", so one of my concerns is already answered.
Now, I would like to play it on PC, and I need to buy the PC version, right?
I have some store credit on GMG, so I'll probably tae it from there, but is there a way to use the 14 days trial? I assume I'm not entitled to the trial since I already " played" a month of the game, right?

yea you need to buy the pc version. Not sure about the trial though

You cannot use a trial on an existing account. You can only create a new trial account. If you have played the game and want to get use your old characters and stuff you can't do a trial. You do get a free month with a new base game purchase though, so if you buy the PC version you get 1 month free. Considering the sub price and removing it from the game's price, it's really cheap. If you find the game at less than the baseline 20$ price you can even actually "gain" money.

Mets9

You cannot use a trial on an existing account. You can only create a new trial account. If you have played the game and want to get use your old characters and stuff you can't do a trial. You do get a free month with a new base game purchase though, so if you buy the PC version you get 1 month free. Considering the sub price and removing it from the game's price, it's really cheap. If you find the game at less than the baseline 20$ price you can even actually "gain" money.
Well I probably won't use the old character because I want to start from scratch, but at the same time I don't want to create another account, so I'll just buy the PC version and start a new pg on the old account.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
us8xVB8.png

Echo is ridiculous. I just press buttons and things die.

RPGCrazied

Stone Vigil done! Last boss was super annoying, specially when he flies and shit gets real on the ground. We wiped once, lol.
I now have the Airship, can you use that to get to cities for free, or is just for story reasons?

Omnicent

Stone Vigil done! Last boss was super annoying, specially when he flies and shit gets real on the ground. We wiped once, lol.
I now have the Airship, can you use that to get to cities for free, or is just for story reasons?

That's the story airship. But hey personal airships should be coming sometime in the future.

Semper88

You must be a mutated midget Lala to fly that tiny ship :D

Echo is ridiculous. I just press buttons and things die.

can confirm.

Hitting 720~ish DPS with no pots in phase 1 and 2 as MNK is a pretty good feeling. Hitting over 600 for the entire fight with no pots is nice too.

Generally I'm too poor to afford strength pots but I kind of want to get a few made and see how high I can push those numbers. I could probably hit 750 for phase 1 and 2 with good RNG crits.

Omnicent

So after rereading the game.watch translation DRK definitely sounds like my cup of tea.

When using Dark Arts, MP consumption is surprisingly fast. The Dark Knight does not have as much freedom as a mage with his/her MP so just by using it 3 times your MP is exhausted. Their Overpower-like ability called "Unleash" or their single-target enmity increasing "Unmade" are magic attacks and thus spend MP, so if you're too focused on Dark Arts, you'll neglect your main job of drawing enmity.

So unleashed is going to be DRK's version of overpower, but consumes MP. Well considering DRK has 2 MP restoring weapon skills it sounds like DRK will give WAR some competition for AoE threat/dps.

Is it the 19th yet? Wish I could go to sleep and wake up on the 19th.
Guess I'll finish leveling my WAR till then. Got PLD to 50 this weekend, and WAR is far more fun for me (My Femroe is a better WAR than PLD I guess).

IvorB

Scylla sets are awesome, don't be hating. You just gotta wear it like you own it.

Fair enough. :) I actually have the gloves on my current glamour and I've used the boots quite a bit actually so I can't hate too much.

Anyone else looking forward to going back at the new level and stomping on some old bosses that used to hand out grief?

Mesharey

Fair enough. :) I actually have the gloves on my current glamour and I've used the boots quite a bit actually so I can't hate too much.

Anyone else looking forward to going back at the new level and stomping on some old bosses that used to hand out grief?
Sure, I still need tank coat from T9.

iammeiam

Level 50+ Aurum Vale, lessgo. Finally it is time for revenge.

...all I can think is how much less annoying partial groups with no level sync would have made books/the DD and AV zodiac drops.

scy

I really don't want to be in an AV post-50. At least, not without a reason (like solo/duoing the place?), anyway. I doubt it'll be good 50+ EXP.

...well, maybe?

iammeiam

It's not about experience, it's about hilariously melting it now that level 49 isn't forced on everyone. I just have a lot of pent up AV resentment.

Mostly because of Bara and those goddamned fruits.

Croyles

It's not about experience, it's about hilariously melting it now that level 49 isn't forced on everyone. I just have a lot of pent up AV resentment.

Darkhold is my personal mortal enemy (40 runs for the drop...)

Yeah, was about to edit that it might be fun to just ... Akh MornDeathflare all of the things.

You know what. Summoners really should have gotten divebombs as their LB3. The sweet revenge.

iammeiam

Giving anyone access to divebombs is just going to get me PK'd constantly.

Just give them normal Flare. They all secretly want to be BLMs anyway.

scy

Teraflare was only used by one boss. Nearly every fucking boss has divebombed us at one point. We need vengeance!

this way Divebombs can just be a future Dreadwyrm Trance ability and I can get an FMV LB3.

Giving anyone access to divebombs is just going to get me PK'd constantly.

There goes that surprise. It's just not the same killing someone who expects it.

Jayhawk

I am sure there will be fruits in Heavensward for Bara to annoy you with.

iammeiam

Theeeere it is. Dream is dead, and I retract CTRL-X, CTRL-V accusations. It was totally a CTRL-C.

Upon using an attachment, the attack power of Machinist weapons is significantly increased. However, aside from some skills, attacks will be more like those from casters, where moving while charging will cancel the attack. The two ways to fight will be either attacking while moving around freely avoiding enemy mechanics like bard currently does, or finding a safer spot in the back near casters where you can focus more on powered up attacks.

There is also a powerful attack that can only be used while the attachment is mounted, so it will be important to know when you can and cannot move around. Additionally, there is also an ability which can reduce the cast time of one attack which allows the high damage to be maintained, so there are definitely ways to improve.

Everythingiscasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom