• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Bayohne said:
We're working with Valve to launch pre-orders for the digital standard edition and digital Collector's Editions sometime in May.

IN MAY?!
I don't even know why I'm angry, it's still before the release date, but what the hell.

Tanking Gaf, did you mix and match i110 plat accessories or go all STR accessories with melded VIT? Or did you all go VIT accessories with melded STR?

Debating what I wanna do, cause STR materia is quite a bit cheaper than VIT materia on Goburin.

scy

Tanking Gaf, did you mix and match i110 plat accessories or go all STR accessories with melded VIT? Or did you all go VIT accessories with melded STR?

Debating what I wanna do, cause STR materia is quite a bit cheaper than VIT materia on Goburin.

I have Slaying Choker, Earring, and Ring with a Fending Wrist. If I could do it over, I'd have Slaying Choker + Ring with Fending Earring + Wrist since it's ultimately cheaper on the melds this way.

STR Earring does have DET already so you do get to avoid a Savage Might IV this way so that's worth mentioning I guess.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the Dreadwyrm Slaying Choker is really damn good so if you can get away with using it, you really want to go that route instead~

Teknoman

Wait...there are better high level options than just rolling with tome equip? I've been going about things all wrong...thought materia melding was just something as a gap between higher tomestone stuff.

iammeiam

Wait...there are better high level options than just rolling with tome equip? I've been going about things all wrong...thought materia melding was just something as a gap between higher tomestone stuff.

Crafted gear is serious endgame business, and with tanks it gets even weirder with DPS vs Tank sets. The idea is that crafted jewelry a tier behind can be better than current tier because you can cram it full of bonus secondaries.

This isn't tank but I've been obsessed with watching this guy fill this thing out over the past week. Work-in-progress of forty-two different 'BiS' configurations for bard, broken down into FCoB tiers for accuracy and gearing methods. Everything outside of the explicitly labeled "fuck crafted" set relies heavily on pentamelded gear on both sides; we're talking multi-millions in exploded materia per piece.

I have Slaying Choker, Earring, and Ring with a Fending Wrist. If I could do it over, I'd have Slaying Choker + Ring with Fending Earring + Wrist since it's ultimately cheaper on the melds this way.

STR Earring does have DET already so you do get to avoid a Savage Might IV this way so that's worth mentioning I guess.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the Dreadwyrm Slaying Choker is really damn good so if you can get away with using it, you really want to go that route instead~

good to know, been wondering if cheaping it out is ok or not lol

Its really more of a min/max thing that im trying to do so I can hold hate better. don't really HAVE to do this, but its kind of needed in the higher endgame stuff.

Teknoman

I guess thats why I hear so much about materia blowing up in the FC.

To be honest, i'm still hoping the materia system gets reworked so that it adds more customization and is useful at all levels/gameplay ranges.

I guess thats why I hear so much about materia blowing up in the FC.

To be honest, i'm still hoping the materia system gets reworked so that it adds more customization and is useful at all levels/gameplay ranges.

Gonna go ahead and cosign this with ya. I would love and expanded materia system that allows for more customization. Ultimately though I'd like an increase in materia IVs before all that takes place. I'm about to brake the bank on these accessories, and I'd like to make a Bravura MAYBE, but I'm already so far along with Wiyu Animus :(

In all honesty I'd like for them to release Engraved Tombstones from FCOB to the weekly round up. I'd take a magitek axe and book in a heart beat and save myself the mental anguish of yet MORE FUCKING LIGHT FARMING AND DUNGEON ATMA.

Swhalen

So it'd up for pre order on SquareEnix. Any chance of the collectors popping up on Amazon so I don't have to pay like 50cdn for shipping?

I wonder when SE and Sony will let us know about the digital version for PS3/PS4 users? I'm going to assume May like steam but got to wait and see.

EriksBlue

Banned
3 more Luci's too go (Fisher, Alchemist and Carpenter) what am I doing with my life...maybe I should go level more alts.
9eLp7DZ.gif

Tc91

I'm thinking about resubbing after not playing for quite some time, I played the game upon release and got the class armor stuff (I played Dragoon) but never got the weapon, is it primal?

The expansion looks fantastic and I'm at that point where I need a mmo fix, is it worth returning before the expansion or should I just wait to be on a even playing field?

God damn Ultros is quiet, is it always this quiet or is that because I am on EU time?

EU day is always pretty much dead. You need to play EU primetime for it to wake up a bit, and obviously US time is a lot more active. Add to that lull in content, other games(though mostly next week with Bloodborne/Pillars of Eternity, but this week still has Type-0/FFXV demo) and yeah it's even deader than usual.

glaurung

but you must have a new account 1st right?
Hmm. Good question actually. Does GMG even do some kind of guest checkout? Since I buy stuff from them all the time, for me having an account there is a necessity.

Plus with an account you get access to their occasional VIP treatment, which is always nice.

IMBored

I've been out of the pre-order loop, has it been explained if buying only one version will activate the expansion for all systems, or you have to buy one for PS4 and PC individually?
Debating pre-ordering the digital collector's edition for pc, as it will probably be cheaper than the PS4 version.

glaurung

I've been out of the pre-order loop, has it been explained if buying only one version will activate the expansion for all systems, or you have to buy one for PS4 and PC individually?
Another good question. I read up on the official press releases and they have not mentioned it. Then again, to me it makes sense that the expansion gets simply added to your account and from there on out, you can play that content on any platform. It'd be real underhanded of them to force people to buy the expansion separately for, say, PS4 and PC.

No idea about PS3 though.

Edit: actually, found this paragraph in the announcement press release:
Alongside versions available for PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC, a Mac OS version of the title will be available for the first time exclusively as a digital all-in-one bundle.

Debating pre-ordering the digital collector's edition for pc, as it will probably be cheaper than the PS4 version.

Need to upgrade every version. CE bonus stuff is applied globally however, so you only need one CE.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

It has.

You will need to purchase both the Windows and PS4 versions of the expansion to play the new content on both platforms. If you would like the exclusive bonus items from the Collector's Edition, you can get them with either the Windows or PS4 version as they will be linked to a single service account. Heavensward must be installed on the client to access the areas that will be added in Heavensward. If you are planning to log back in on a client that doesn't have Heavensward installed, make sure to log out in an FFXIV: ARR area.

The info was also in the OP that no one reads. >.>

♦ Do I have to buy an additional new copy for each platform I want to play on?
Yep. This also applies to expansions. And you can only log into the same account on one platform at a time. The game is region-locked, so all copies must be from the same region.
So in other words, to update to the Heavensward expansion you'd have to buy the Steam version of it (and so on). Steam is also considered as a separate version from Windows PC.
You receive 30 free days for each version (of the main FFXIV game only) when added to the same account.

Another good question. I read up on the official press releases and they have not mentioned it. Then again, to me it makes sense that the expansion gets simply added to your account and from there on out, you can play that content on any platform. It'd be real underhanded of them to force people to buy the expansion separately for, say, PS4 and PC.

No idea about PS3 though.

Edit: actually, found this paragraph in the announcement press release:

Ehm,, it's been confirmed multiple times that each system will need to be activated with a separate code. Applying the expansion to the PS4 will not let you play it on the PC, for example.

IMBored

;_; Gonna buy the standard PS4 digital version then, and wait for a sale on the steam collector's edition. Hopefully the PS4 digital preorder also gives early access.

If you are planning to log back in on a client that doesn't have Heavensward installed, make sure to log out in an FFXIV: ARR area.

How will this work for items exclusive to Heavensward? You log in on a diferent client and all your heavensward items to dissapear or become unusable.

;_; Gonna buy the standard PS4 digital version then, and wait for a sale on the steam collector's edition. Hopefully the PS4 digital preorder also gives early access.

How will this work for items exclusive to Heavensward? You log in on a diferent client and all your heavensward items to dissapear or become unusable.

It works like it says, the only limitation is zones. Not having heavensward doesn't prevent you from using the items, nor playing with other people who do, or playing a character over 50. It simply prevents you from entering the Heavensward areas, which basically prevents you from doing anything relevant(I assume the instances will also count as heavensward so you can't DF any 50+ content). I'm unsure however if you'll be able to play the Heavensward jobs assuming you have them unlocked, but since it's not mentionned, I would assume it'd be possible just the same.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Machinist guild at the very least is in Ishgard, and AST's probably too. DRK was shown off on Dravanian cliffs so take that as you will.

i have melded fending wrist with STR. rest is Slaying with VIT. do what you can afford. prices fluctuate.

IMBored

Machinist guild at the very least is in Ishgard, and AST's probably too.

Pretty save bet to assume DRK is ishgard too.

That's actually pretty good for me, can keep on using the PC version as I always did, for macro crafting and checking the chat.

Machinist guild at the very least is in Ishgard, and AST's probably too. DRK was shown off on Dravanian cliffs so take that as you will.

Yeah sure but I mean, if you unlock them on your heavensward version then go log off in costa and relog on your non upgraded version, I would assume you can still grind the classes in the old zones and just do your class quests every 5levels on your other account(or 10levels if you're lazy). They might add another restriction against that, or maybe they won't care.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I need to man up, lvl my WAR to complete my tanking jobs and use the damn thing to queue for my Zodiac dungeons. RWAR!

Bagerk

This might (definitely is) a stupid question. But I'm at the point where I get my Chocobo mount and it is asking me to name my chocobo and I can't figure out how to input a name on ps4. Any chance someone can tell me how to do this haha?

EDIT: Got it, press triangle...that was hurting my drunk brain.

Valor

Crafted gear is serious endgame business, and with tanks it gets even weirder with DPS vs Tank sets. The idea is that crafted jewelry a tier behind can be better than current tier because you can cram it full of bonus secondaries.

This isn't tank but I've been obsessed with watching this guy fill this thing out over the past week. <snipped>

While crafted gear + pentamelds is pretty dang efficient at times in the end game, it's next to useless right now. We're at the end of the content cycle and waiting for Heavensward. Heavensward will be that magical time you look at your fully spiritbonded pentamelded gear and smile as you convert your dear old friends into Elemental III materia.

Also there are like two bards I know of on reddit, and both of them are near insufferable. None of this is really directed at you, youareyouyouare, more about the topic of materia in gear in general. Actually that last bit about bards is kind of directed at you, but not really.

iammeiam

While crafted gear + pentamelds is pretty dang efficient at times in the end game, it's next to useless right now. We're at the end of the content cycle and waiting for Heavensward. Heavensward will be that magical time you look at your fully spiritbonded pentamelded gear and smile as you convert your dear old friends into Elemental III materia.

Also there are like two bards I know of on reddit, and both of them are near insufferable. None of this is really directed at you, youareyouyouare, more about the topic of materia in gear in general. Actually that last bit about bards is kind of directed at you, but not really.

At this point crafted is useless for progression, but it's still relevant when you're talking min/max'ing and obsessing over stats for the sake of obsessing over stats or those extra 10 DPS or trying to push 3 Bennu or whatever it is the crazy obsessive progression raiders with too much money do when progression isn't a thing anymore. It's also still kind of relevant to the original question--there are indeed better options than tome gear, it's just at this point they're nowhere near better enough to justify the cost for 99% of the playerbase.

Reddit bards can be insufferable all they want as long as they do the math heavy lifting--I like gear carries but am wayyy too lazy to figure this stuff out all on my own.Honestly the most useful thing in that post to me was the presence of a no-crafted set (especially since the T12 non-crafted set matches up with what I napkin math'd to be what I should be aiming for ages ago), and some semi-relevant gauge putting the DPS spread of the different sets in perspective (so ridiculously tiny.) It's also goid for random horror moments like the Augmented Ironworks Corselet of Aiming showing up in the T13 no-crafted no-flint BiS list because holy shit there's actually a use for that thing.

scy

At this point crafted is useless for progression, but it's still relevant when you're talking min/max'ing and obsessing over stats for the sake of obsessing over stats or those extra 10 DPS or trying to push 3 Bennu or whatever it is the crazy obsessive progression raiders with too much money do when progression isn't a thing anymore.

3 Bennu pulls is all I live for now in coil.

Reddit bards can be insufferable all they want as long as they do the math heavy lifting...

Here's something I want to know, why is it a Bard and not a class with math I care about :(

I guess it has the more complex math with the Bloodletter modeling and all but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom