• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

So I really can't help suspecting there's a greater cosmic and karmic link between this:

Cagalli where are you. These coats are getting so dirty from the floor.

Q1rSCOr.jpg

And this:
SmZZemS.jpg

Also primals are hard.

WAR is best class in the game. no wonder people like to argue lots.

also DRK will be powerful at launch to pull people in. will be adjusted a few weeks later.

Teknoman

Is there any actual good fan art for XIV out there though? Even XI had more good stuff than Mithra art all over. Also podcasts? I used to listen to Limit Break radio on the regular.

Meciu

2.32 Relic, 2.08 Dreadwyrm, 2.0 Ironworks, though I believe Dreadwyrm still beats out Ironworks here.

That one, for instance? Less slashing debuff uptime for the PLD + some AoE. T11/T12 tend to be more PLD oriented if I recall, though it's been awhile for any of these. Even T13 is competitive with the whole "JP is crazy, tank swap for F&F rotation" that Lucrezia likes to do.

But, yeah, PLD DPS is more reliant on extra factors compared to WAR just sort of capable of doing it because they themselves want to push DPS.

Tell me more about it! Is there more info?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any actual good fan art for XIV out there though? Even XI had more good stuff than Mithra art all over. Also podcasts? I used to listen to Limit Break radio on the regular.

Limit Break radio does FFXIV now. I have no idea how good they are, though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I thought I was having trouble fitting all of the Monk's abilities into gamepad hotbars. Scholar is even worse! Class does so much it makes my head spin.

WolvenOne

FFXI had fifteen years, that's a LOT better than many MMO's out there. Granted, it's a huge shame that there won't be some sort of permanence to it, but, such is the nature of MMO's. Best people can do is set up private servers I guess.

Besides, maybe they'll fully combine development teams, and XIV might get even more content. Probably not, but it could happen.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Limit Break radio does FFXIV now. I have no idea how good they are, though.

They're alright except for being too damn long. Somebody should notify all the podcast makers that if you want people to listen to your rambling about something it should be concise and directed. I mean, when MrHappy is beating you in "keep it short and simple" department you know something's going wrong. Fun to watch live though I guess.

Also podcasts? I used to listen to Limit Break radio on the regular.

We're sort of doing one, but it's not just XIV stuff. Going to try to do next episode this Friday or Saturday and discuss Type-0 HD, Episode Duscae, and probably now this XI news. One after this will probably be Patch 2.55 thoughts.

We probably need a name for this thing...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
We're sort of doing one, but it's not just XIV stuff. Going to try to do next episode this Friday or Saturday and discuss Type-0 HD, Episode Duscae, and probably now this XI news. One after this will probably be Patch 2.55 thoughts.

We probably need a name for this thing...

Pony Ranch.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Damn I wanna recruit someone. The friend who I let recruit me got his chocobo when I reupped this month and I'm jealous. :D

Tiops

I'm not really bothering with my tanks right now because I'll change to DRK as soon as the expansion is released. I already leveled up PLD and WAR to get the probable useful cross-class skills, so I'll just focus on the BRD now. My Relic and crafting classes are already taking all me game time, anyway.

And I can't wait to see all the terrible tanks we're going to find on DF with the advent of the Edgy Knight. So much fun -_- .

xxczx

Just tried doing Garuda for the first time. Read tactics online beforehand but spent HALF AN HOUR getting wiped until I had to quit to get ready for work all because of the healer.

I had to remind each wipe to cast protect, when I asked about Stoneskin he replied 'whoops soz forgot'. Swiftcast? Nope. Cure II? Why waste the MP when there is Cure? One DPS quit on wipe 5, the other I really felt for him since he really didn't know why we was failing and wanted to learn how to beat Garuda. The new DPS was French.

I hope tomorrow night will be more successful.

iammeiam

Yoshida on incoming changes to Triple Triad NPC difficulty and the tournament system.

The Future for Triple Triad Tournaments
Hello, everyone. Producer and Director Yoshida here. Thank you all for your feedback on the Triple Triad tournaments!

Let me start with an apology for the lack of adjustments thus far, and also for the delay in communicating our plans for upcoming changes. The team is currently neck-deep in development for Heavensward, even as they look to finalize content for Patch 2.55, and the timing has not been ideal for testing and implementing major fixes. So to keep the development schedule running smoothly, we’ve decided to implement adjustments for the Triple Triad tournaments over the course of several minor patches, beginning with Patch 2.55. We also considered putting the tournaments on hold until all the necessary changes had been made...but as there are no other means of acquiring certain rare cards, the competitions will continue as usual.

That said, I’d like to discuss some of the pressing issues and popular requests and explain how we plan on addressing them.

Issue: The effort required to build a competitive tournament deck
Acquiring Triple Triad cards is a demanding task, and this in turn discourages players from participating in tournaments─without at least thirty cards, it’s difficult to build effective decks. So to improve this situation, we will be looking into reducing the match difficulty for NPCs who reward cards, thus making it easier to reach that thirty-card threshold. (To be addressed in Patch 2.55)
Issue: Loss of motivation to continue playing when there is little chance of placing in the top ranks
Participants often lose the desire to keep playing tournament matches once a place in the top ranks is no longer within reach. In response to this problem, we will be introducing a new feature wherein players are rewarded with a generous amount of MGP based on their final tournament score (regardless of rank). We intend to make other similar adjustments to provide greater incentives for participants to play through to the end of a tournament.

In a similar fashion, players who accumulate a certain number of tournament points (again, regardless of rank) will be rewarded with a platinum Triad card─which has the possibility of yielding a rare card. By offering a means to earn rare cards other than placing in the higher ranks, we hope to encourage more players to take part in Triple Triad tournaments.

We are, however, still debating whether or not these adjustments can be squeezed into Patch 2.55, and if their introduction is deemed too risky, we will delay implementation until a later patch (Patch 2.56 etc.).
Requests: Eliminating unfair collusion between players/Making it possible to challenge players without the need for discussion
As measures such as those previously described are implemented, we anticipate a significant drop in unsuitable tournament conduct (i.e. using multiple accounts to ensure victory, or throwing matches for payment). Naturally, we don’t believe that these unfair practices will be eliminated completely─unless the system is changed so that tournament rankings are strictly based on victories won through random matching, there will always be a way to cheat regardless of the measures we introduce. But supposing we did change the system to rely solely upon random matching, we would then run the risk of alienating all but the most dedicated Triple Triad players.

Taking these points into consideration, we have two main goals around which future adjustments and additions will be planned. The first goal is to build upon those measures already discussed, and develop a tournament system that is both fun and rewarding for all participants. The second goal─implementing more strictly run tournaments─will require more time to achieve.

I understand that many players are in favor of being able to use the Duty Finder to set up Triple Triad matches. Unfortunately, however, the Duty Finder does not support one-on-one matching at this time. Should such a feature be integrated into the current system, it will also require us to introduce measures to combat a host of related issues such as increased server load, mid-match AFKing, and dropped connections. As you can imagine, this all takes time to test and perfect.

But our players have spoken, and we are looking into designing an improved tournament system (more tightly run competitions based upon match victories) that will make use of this matching feature. We plan to have something concrete ready not too long after the release of Heavensward, and so once more I ask for your understanding and patience.
These are our current goals, and, moving forward, we will continue to rely heavily upon player feedback when considering any changes that need to be made to the Triple Triad tournament system, rules, and rewards. This process of trial and error may continue for a while, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions on how we can make the game even better!

So it sounds like the only thing for sure guaranteed in 2.55 is NPC difficulty nerfs to ease deck-building, with mayyyyybe some reward adjustments if they make it in time?

I feel like if anything a point threshold for rewards is going to promote collusion even further.

Just tried doing Garuda for the first time. Read tactics online beforehand but spent HALF AN HOUR getting wiped until I had to quit to get ready for work all because of the healer.

I had to remind each wipe to cast protect, when I asked about Stoneskin he replied 'whoops soz forgot'. Swiftcast? Nope. Cure II? Why waste the MP when there is Cure? One DPS quit on wipe 5, the other I really felt for him since he really didn't know why we was failing and wanted to learn how to beat Garuda. The new DPS was French.

I hope tomorrow night will be more successful.

I only did it the first time a few days ago too. My party wiped twice before we got it on the third try. Everyone seemed to know what to do but obviously when you're in there the first time you have to get a feel. Though it sounds like you just got a group that needed to understand gameplay concepts a bit more, let alone learning the fight. One of my favorite things to do as a tank is just queue up once a day for Ifrit/Titan/Garuda to help out a party. Anyway, if you happen to be on Ultros I'm always willing to help. I feel like I can't offer my services much yet since I'm a 50 with like nothing unlocked. Hopefully soon when people say "I need a tank for such and such" I'll finally be able to help out.

Sorian

Banned
Yoshida on incoming changes to Triple Triad NPC difficulty and the tournament system.

So it sounds like the only thing for sure guaranteed in 2.55 is NPC difficulty nerfs to ease deck-building, with mayyyyybe some reward adjustments if they make it in time?

I feel like if anything a point threshold for rewards is going to promote collusion even further.

So adding RNG as the way to get the dissidia cards out there and promoting more point collusion. Yoshida is so fucking clueless.

Also, lol at the excuses given for the matchmaking. "Wut do if someone afks or disconnects?" Oh idk, maybe let the game do the exact same thing it does already, they have 30 seconds to make a move, if they don't card plays randomly and go.

Hystzen

It's not that the NPCs where hard it was the stupidly low drop rate that makes hitting 30 a chore. I got 34 and have zero interest in card collecting which is bad due to how much time j sunk in TT during FF8. I know they only released a small amount of cards which why drop rates are shit but when you fight king for 50+ wins and only get 2 godbert and zero bahamut I threw in towel.

Teknoman

I only did it the first time a few days ago too. My party wiped twice before we got it on the third try. Everyone seemed to know what to do but obviously when you're in there the first time you have to get a feel. Though it sounds like you just got a group that needed to understand gameplay concepts a bit more, let alone learning the fight. One of my favorite things to do as a tank is just queue up once a day for Ifrit/Titan/Garuda to help out a party. Anyway, if you happen to be on Ultros I'm always willing to help. I feel like I can't offer my services much yet since I'm a 50 with like nothing unlocked. Hopefully soon when people say "I need a tank for such and such" I'll finally be able to help out.

I usually shy away from Primal duty finders (both HM and EX) but that sounds like a good idea. Im no expert on the fights 100%, but I do think I could help people in Titan and Leviathan.

Hystzen

Yeah I do enjoy helping new people if see in FC chat someone doing a primal for first time or dungeon I always ask if need a tank. It one thinks I do enjoy about this game 90% of people are willing to help newcomers it just odd few who just shout "watch video online before doing a duty".

So has the Heavensward expansion purchasing been sorted out yet?

What happens if I buy a copy for PS4 and have my expansion gear on in an expansion zone then try to continue on a non-expansion PC version?

I hear you need to have Heavensward purchased for both but I am not sure how that is going to work.

I usually shy away from Primal duty finders (both HM and EX) but that sounds like a good idea. Im no expert on the fights 100%, but I do think I could help people in Titan and Leviathan.

Yeah, we'll see if my nice streak continues into the harder versions of the fights lol. It's part of the reason I've liked playing tank for the last few years - I can hear the sigh of relief when a party realizes the tank knows what they're doing. I did AV for the first time last night and made it aware to the party that it was my first time - though I had watched a video - and it turned out to be the most fun party I've been in. Everyone was talking and joking (I left my imperial clothes from the story quests on for the first few pulls), I cleared the whole place for them because they needed exp, they walked me through simple trash/boss strats, we had a few close calls with some battle rezes. It was just a good dungeon run.

What's interesting though is I'm sure if I hadn't said I was new and just stayed mute the whole time they probably would have kicked me somewhere along the run simply because of the random hiccups we had that messed up the flow of a get in and get out run that most of these are (two people in the group had their zeta). But since we were all on the same page the expectations were tempered and the run was just a nice 30 mins of 4 players killing some stuff.

I've yet to have a primal run that I queued for to help out go wrong, but I'm sure once I get into EX stuff I will come across parties where I simply can't will them to victory.

iammeiam

HM Primals in DF are pretty trivial and not anything to worry about at this point--like to the point I spam trial roulette on tank or healer when I'm bored despite not knowing how to play either. The rare bad group on an HM is actually the most interesting--having to healer LB3 at any point or go Sword Oath to meet the DPS heart check is means I might have to start paying attention--but for the most part they're so outgeared and frequently overpopulated with light farmers they're pretty snooze-worthy.

Titan EX charity tanking would probably be good, though.

I've tried queuing DF T5 a few times to help, but it usually ends in everyone getting divebombed into the wall for 45 minutes before vote abandon. I have wondered about preforming a six or seven man party and then just queuing up for choke point fights to randomly carry people through in DF.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Spent a good bit of time last night getting my UI all comfy for me instead of actually playing the game :S I considered turning the minimap off completely because I just use the huge map all the time, but I kinda like having it.

glaurung

Guys, sorry to ask such silly questions, but here are a few:

If I have FFXIV on PC and I decide to buy the PS4 disc, does my account work immediately?

Has Square explained the details about the Machinist job in Heavensward?

XenoRaven

I'm happy on Adamantoise because I've made some really good friends there, but sometimes I wish I was on Ultros. I'd make an alt but that seems like too much work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom