• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you're undergeared, as many are when doing progression. The % he gave was based on people being the correct ilevel they tuned for, which generally seems to be much higher than what people actually clear it at.

Tuning content for the ilevel of the gear it drops seems like bad design. I would guess something closer to 120-125 for T13? Although since it's last fight I guess they could tune it higher just to make it harder.

For healers dping in T13, I think it was partially needed because one of the roadblocks when progressing there was minimum HP, so healers dpsed to compensate for some of the DPS needing to wear i90 jewelry melded VIT just to survive.

It only drops a few parts, and you can get those parts with poetics+carbontwin from T11(12? already forgot). 128 if you prefer. They might have tuned it for 120 though I guess, it really depends on what they use for their DPS setups and stuff, as I said it's probably not optimized so it might be tuned for higher gear but poorer performance which is why with i130 you can crush the fight even without healers DPSing.

And in the first kills it's not just to compensate for jewelry, especially since I assume most raiders used crafted stuff which lets you get vit with a fairly small loss of DPS(in comparison to using tome vit tanking gear which also comes with garbage parry and what not). The early kills had the SCH doing like 200DPS and stuff, that's a huge chunk of missing DPS.

Anyway it was cleared kinda quickly, but I don't think I've heard people complain about T13(or final coil in general) too much, most raiders seem I've seen discuss it even in other places seem to have thought it was a solid raid with fun fights and a decent challenge. It wasn't overly hard but not so easy that it ruined the thing, so I feel that's good balance.

That sounds like 120 minutes of pure agony.

Was it intentionally sabotaged or was your collective group full of scatterbrains lol?
Scatterbrains.

Failed the first area twice, failed eyeball 4 times, failed Cerberus 5 times and at that point the alliance just was absolutely at each other's necks and then we just kept failing Cloud of Darkness because healers were just not keeping MT alive and people were not doing meteors.

scy

It only drops a few parts, and you can get those parts with poetics+carbontwin from T11(12? already forgot). 128 if you prefer. They might have tuned it for 120 though I guess, it really depends on what they use for their DPS setups and stuff, as I said it's probably not optimized so it might be tuned for higher gear but poorer performance which is why with i130 you can crush the fight even without healers DPSing.

The 120-125 is simply because it's the DF requirement (i123).

Aselith

I was just with a group that failed WoD.

lwhHVKz.gif

Why so depressed? You just saw a unicorn, bro!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I can't believe how bad the lag is in T13. 10 seconds during which nothing is happening and then everyone's dead? Dodging dives just to be hit a few seconds later for no reason? Uh.

SkyOdin

Why so depressed? You just saw a unicorn, bro!

I've actually seen a fair number of abandoned WoD runs. Usually what you see is a string of failures against the first two bosses, which causes a few people to trigger abandon votes. Usually those fail and a handful of the loudest complainers quit, which leads to the rest of the Alliance going on to a smooth victory with the new replacements. However, every now and then the Abandon duty votes go through for whatever reason. Thankfully those are still relatively rare.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Really sitting on the fence still as to whether I want to get the expansion. There's plenty that I like about the game, but the story isn't one of them. I'm at the point where I need to do Chrysalis now, and am about to throw in the towel. Pretty much forcing myself to play at the moment, and not looking forward to even more of that once Heavensward gets here. =S

Ok so I haven't played since the game came out, had it on the PS3 and the expansion looks pretty neat, I now have a PS4 and was wondering if I buy the expansion, how does the transfer work? Do I need to rebuy it for the PS4?

Aeana

Ok so I haven't played since the game came out, had it on the PS3 and the expansion looks pretty neat, I now have a PS4 and was wondering if I buy the expansion, how does the transfer work? Do I need to rebuy it for the PS4?

Yes. You sadly missed the PS3->PS4 free upgrade campaign, which ended on April 1st. So now you need to buy both the base game and the expansion for PS4.

BadRNG

Really sitting on the fence still as to whether I want to get the expansion. There's plenty that I like about the game, but the story isn't one of them. I'm at the point where I need to do Chrysalis now, and am about to throw in the towel. Pretty much forcing myself to play at the moment, and not looking forward to even more of that once Heavensward gets here. =S
You could just skip the cutscenes. You're almost at the end already, majority of what is left is just cutscene time I think.. If there's other things you like about the game just focus on them. Plenty of people play without caring about the story anyway. Plus with Heavensward you'll have all the new areas/dungeons/jobs/etc to enjoy while you're trekking through whatever poorly paced plot they stitched together about the thousand year giraffesong war.

Anyway it was cleared kinda quickly, but I don't think I've heard people complain about T13(or final coil in general) too much, most raiders seem I've seen discuss it even in other places seem to have thought it was a solid raid with fun fights and a decent challenge. It wasn't overly hard but not so easy that it ruined the thing, so I feel that's good balance.
It was the best designed tier of coil to me. Excellent balance of complexity while still actually being fun. I think too many people put too much emphasis on clear time or difficulty, forgetting that it's still a game, needs to be enjoyable too. If it feels like a chore to progress through than what's the point, bragging rights?

I hope Alexander is as well done.

It was the best designed tier of coil to me. Excellent balance of complexity while still actually being fun. I think too many people put too much emphasis on clear time or difficulty, forgetting that it's still a game, needs to be enjoyable too. If it feels like a chore to progress through than what's the point, bragging rights?

I hope Alexander is as well done.

I liked Final Coil too, Kaliya BS party tethers notwithstanding. It seemed more balanced than the jump through hoops mechanics circus of Second Coil pre-nerfs while still being challenging.

Jayhawk

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.

Semper88

You are not alone, I've joined the game since release on PS4 and in the first hour of the game I was already burned out on the silly story line and its lack of boring and voiceless cut scenes BUT i still play the game for its dungeons and raids that i do with my static.

but yea, every time they release new content for the main quest I go like naww please no.. no more.

Hang in there, you might like the dungeon crawling and the raiding :)

chrono01

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.
Sorry to lose you, but I completely understand your reasons [even though I don't have a single crafting class to Level 50 and am, in fact, only focused on my BLM].

Regardless, best of luck out there!

kurahador

Guys...does Havensward expansion on steam has region restriction? Can I buy it regardless which version of XIV I have?
I'm using EU btw.

grimmiq

Not sure where I should really ask this, but what the hell.

I've been back playing FFXIV for almost 2 months now, being from AUS I've been trying out different programs to ease latency.

Battleping (Which I used fine in 1.0 and when ARR first came out) seems to have no effect and closing the application doesn't disconnect me, so it may just be set up wrong.

WTFast was OK and made it slightly easier to dodge AoEs, but I had 2-3 nights in a row where it just disconnected over and over for hours at a time.

Pingzapper at first was amazing for my connection, but for some reason I constantly disconnect after 7pm through to about 11pm so this may be on my end, citing a PuTTY error. I can stay connected for 5-9 hours nonstop during the day, but as soon as it hits 7pm, I disconnect every 40min-1hr. Their support is worthless, a dozen emails/support tickets put in on their site and several tweets and 0 replies over the last 3-4 weeks.

Does anyone else who uses any of these services have a solution to this or any alternative service? It wouldn't be so bad if I could immediately get back in-game..but because it thinks I'm still logged in it can sometimes take 5-10mins and I find myself kicked from duties/parties.

but who will help me collude in the next TT tournament? ;_;

WolvenOne

I liked Final Coil too, Kaliya BS party tethers notwithstanding. It seemed more balanced than the jump through hoops mechanics circus of Second Coil pre-nerfs while still being challenging.

Gonna agree with this. SCOB was just,draaaaining. I simply didn't have any fun in T7 or T8, at all. FCOB was challenging, but it was a fun sort of challenge so I was far happier to put time and effort into it.

dcye

Not sure where I should really ask this, but what the hell.

I've been back playing FFXIV for almost 2 months now, being from AUS I've been trying out different programs to ease latency.

Battleping (Which I used fine in 1.0 and when ARR first came out) seems to have no effect and closing the application doesn't disconnect me, so it may just be set up wrong.

WTFast was OK and made it slightly easier to dodge AoEs, but I had 2-3 nights in a row where it just disconnected over and over for hours at a time.

Pingzapper at first was amazing for my connection, but for some reason I constantly disconnect after 7pm through to about 11pm so this may be on my end, citing a PuTTY error. I can stay connected for 5-9 hours nonstop during the day, but as soon as it hits 7pm, I disconnect every 40min-1hr. Their support is worthless, a dozen emails/support tickets put in on their site and several tweets and 0 replies over the last 3-4 weeks.

Does anyone else who uses any of these services have a solution to this or any alternative service? It wouldn't be so bad if I could immediately get back in-game..but because it thinks I'm still logged in it can sometimes take 5-10mins and I find myself kicked from duties/parties.

I play from AUS east coast and use Battleping, connecting through WC US servers (usually the San Jose ones) and it works perfectly for me. Wouldn't be be able to play without it.

Sioen

Hey guys I need some help from someone who plays ninja, I haven't played in a long time and I have a new PS4 wich means all my skills on my skill bar is gone.
Anyone who plays ninja and who plays with a controller can take a pic of their skill bar so I know which skills are important?

Ugh, the standard edition is almost $60 here. That's almost 4 times the price of the base game here! This sucks. And it's my only option, too... Guess I'll miss the early access :/

Maybe it'd be cheaper to buy the non steam version base game as well as the expansion for it? I don't know if you can apply both the normal PC and steam version to the same account the same way you can with the Mac or PS3/4 versions but assuming you can, deducting the free month, it'd probably a lot cheaper that way.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

grimmiq

I play from AUS east coast and use Battleping, connecting through WC US servers (usually the San Jose ones) and it works perfectly for me. Wouldn't be be able to play without it.

When you close Battleping with FFXIV still running, does it disconnect? Every other tunnel does, not sure why this wouldn't.

Tash

If anyone is playing on Phoenix, we do have a really friendly social, chatty and more casual oriented FC (even though we did clear all ARR content and plan to raid in Heavensward, too).

Isaccard

I guess Yoshida's quote officially confirms that healers aren't the lazy scumbags a few people believe they are should they chose not to help DPS in any face roll content for the sake of speed.

hue

Valor

You're dead to me.

Run away and never return.

Aeana

I guess Yoshida's quote officially confirms that healers aren't the lazy scumbags a few people believe they are should they chose not to help DPS in any face roll content for the sake of speed.

hue

are you trying to summon him

also what quote

hue
Its not my job to help the rest of you dps and I refuse to do it. Why do you think I'm playing healer?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
are you trying to summon him

also what quote

From Game Watch via Slycer @ bluegartr.com
So you expect it [DPS] to go up overall?

Yoshida: Yes. Since all DPS jobs will be increasing up through level 60, it makes sense to have the white mage's DPS extend by a proportional amount as well. For development, such as with Bahamut's Coils, the development team assumes what the item level should be for general equipment on players when they clear a raid. They sum up the basic DPS for four DPS and tanks at that assumed item level and cut that by about 10-15% for the minimum clear DPS. Healer DPS is not taken into account when this is set.

Certainly for people who are at world's first level, their goal is to clear it at as low an item level as possible, lower than the one assumed during development. So if you look at the fight and figure out that if it's not numerically possible to clear with four DPS and tanks, you'll need to make up the gap with DPS from healers. Then when those publish clear videos and other people see the healers DPSing, they might think that healers need to be DPSing even though its a situation that only arose because their clear would have otherwise been impossible. While we could take this into account, and assume a different item level in the next update which would then make it impossible to clear even with the healer DPS, we'd eliminate this type of play for highly skilled players who use communication, items, and a high level of understanding to come up with those last second clears. That would be a tough decision to make, so I still think it should be up to each party's own plans.

Isaccard

Just before 2.5, I don't remember how it got started but there were a handful of of opinions about if healers should be DPSing in dungeons or not. I think it had more to do with people just wanting to grind out tomes as quickly and efficiently as possible, and that healers who didint contribute to the groups DPS were lazy jerks or something to that extent.

Aeana

Just before 2.5, I don't remember how it got started but there were a handful of of opinions about if healers should be DPSing in dungeons or not. I think it had more to do with people just wanting to grind out tomes as quickly and efficiently as possible, and that healers who didint contribute to the groups DPS were lazy jerks or something to that extent.

you're gonna summon him stop

iammeiam

Them balancing coil DPS checks without healer DPS has nothing to do with healers DPSing in dungeons. I don't really care if healers DPS or not (although Holy > no Holy always and forever), but given they just gave WHM a few new AOE DPS skills that would be useless solo and that healing in coil is nothing like healing a dungeon run, you're stretching to a ridiculous degree here. This isn't really going to change anyone's views on people ignoring a chunk of their skills because they don't wanna use them.

Maybe it'd be cheaper to buy the non steam version base game as well as the expansion for it? I don't know if you can apply both the normal PC and steam version to the same account the same way you can with the Mac or PS3/4 versions but assuming you can, deducting the free month, it'd probably a lot cheaper that way.

Yeah, I can't. That's how bad Steam is. I didn't even have the option to purchase a physical version. There must be an error, though. Even considering lolbraziltaxes these prices are insane. The standard edition is more expensive than recent AAA games like The Witcher 3 by a large margin. Not sure what to do...

It's good to know that Squenix sees this as an issue. I thought that they were going to expect PS3 to PS4 upgraders to buy a complete new copy of the base game or the bundle.

Also, Heavensward is up on Steam for preorder. $66.99 Canadian for that collector's - ouch.

Maybe I will just play it on my PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom