• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phenomenal.

I upgraded from the PS3->PS4 version last year, and want to resub for the expansion. Apparently I can't pre-order or even purchase the expansion on PSN because it doesn't recognize that I hold a license to the PS4 game after the transfer(noticed this at the time and knew this would come to back to bite me). I have FFXIV in my library and can launch the game just fine, but the storefront doesn't register that, giving an error that I must own the base game in order to even attempt a purchase.

Anyone else in a similar boat? I own the game and its playable!!

Yes it's on the frontpage of reddit and there's a dev post, they're working on it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yes it's on the frontpage of reddit and there's a dev post, they're working on it.

Phew. Good to know!

Now to get re-admitted to the Ultros crew! :)

Haven't read the 2.55 faq yet. Left off months ago after getting frustrated FATE grinding for my Relic weapon upgrade. Has that been toned down a bit?

Valor

Well, in a single-target situation, never hardcast Flare. It's Swiftcast + Flare -> Convert -> Fire 1 -> Blizzard 3; it's a slight loss to single-target a hardcast Flare since it takes so long + Transpose to regen up is slow.

I hardcast Flares in AoE, though. Because Flare. Flaaaaare.

Well I'm a bad because I don't even bother Flaring a single target. I was talking purely AoE which I see you also agree with. I can see why only swift-flares would be worth it in single target, but sometimes I need to burn a swift Thunder 3 to open and so blahblahblah.

Basically my brain is dumb and when I see "Flare" I think "AoE" because of my confirmation bias.

Stuart444

I only use Convert to follow it up with a Fire 1 > Hardcast Flare. If you're dropping Flare, you're likely gonna wanna double it up. You leave a lot of mana on the table when you Convert > Blizz 3 especially since you're still in AF3. Might as well cast another fire or something.

Also yeah, you're burning a good few seconds on Raging Strikes by casting it before the Hardcast Fire 3. I would advise dropping it before Fire 1 spam as scy said.

Why not Thunder 3 to start? The only downside to 3 is the cast time, which you negate when you pre-cast it on the pull.

Fair enough, like I said, it's Alice leveling the BLM while I'm just trying to help her with the rotation stuff. I'll point her to these posts lol.

Also since we're still leveling, no Thunder 3 now. (level 45 so soon) All I know about T3 is that it's the go to spell during procs.

Anyway ty for the info Guys :)

TRI Mike

Fire 3's damage-to-cost(-to-cast time) isn't worth repeated use. It's there for the stacks of AF3 and for whenever Firestarter comes up. The rotation in general is Thunder -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder -> Blizzard 1* -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> etc. Or, in picture form, one of these, though I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd basic rotation.

*Can be omitted if the first MP tick during UI3 comes up early enough that you hit full before Fire 3 casts. Usually get that early tick when using Thunder 2 instead of Thunder 1 but still sort of requires keeping an eye on things.

Does he actually ask me to cast Blizzards III with Astral Fire on or is he just assuming I have to use transpose¿ It makes no sense to cast Blizzard III if the fire orbs are still around.

Qvoth

WAIT! Did they just out a new Blue Mage job??

Also, RIP Haman (at the very end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHhsM6WMa8U

uhh did you miss my spoilered lol or what haha

Does he actually ask me to cast Blizzards III with Astral Fire on or is he just assuming I have to use transpose¿ It makes no sense to cast Blizzard III if the fire orbs are still around.

yeah, he meant using blizzard 3 while you're on astral fire
as a blm, the most important thing is to never stop casting basically, so everytime you have low mp, use blizzard 3 to gain mp back

Well I'm a bad because I don't even bother Flaring a single target. I was talking purely AoE which I see you also agree with. I can see why only swift-flares would be worth it in single target, but sometimes I need to burn a swift Thunder 3 to open and so blahblahblah.

Basically my brain is dumb and when I see "Flare" I think "AoE" because of my confirmation bias.

Generally you want to swift flare since it'll still be with Raging up, and that does quite some damage.

There's also another opening that's better but kinda slower, however since I haven't played in a while I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but basically Blizzard III precast > Thunder 2 or 3 > Fire III then do the rotation, it gives you one more fire at certain amounts of mp in the initial rotation since the thunder and fire III end up "free", at the cost of being slower to ramp up, which isn't really an issue on a boss fight. DPS is about the same because of the additional fire.

Learning all the intricacies of the BLM rotation 2weeks before it's probably made completely obsolete though might not be that useful.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Another day, another 2 hours of failed T13, one with DF and one with a random training PF party.
At least no one gets angry about failing, even when the DF party is terrible, everyone just waits until 15 minutes pass to silently vote abandon.

Stuart444

You get an instant stack of Umbral Ice III when you cast Blizzard III.

Blizzard III/Umbral Ice's entire existence is to regain MP. It's dmg is inconsequential.

So no, you don't need to transpose.. Only reason to transpose is if you don't have enough MP for convert / Blizzard III.

plake

uhh did you miss my spoilered lol or what haha

yeah, he meant using blizzard 3 while you're on astral fire
as a blm, the most important thing is to never stop casting basically, so everytime you have low mp, use blizzard 3 to gain mp back

No, but I didn't get what it meant in context! Also checked source but don't know japanese. I guess since like no one reacted there was no new job announced >_>

scy

You definitely want to Blizzard 3 directly from AF3 when out of MP. You do not Transpose and then Blizzard 3. That's the entire purpose of Blizzard 3, really: To instantly go from AF3 to UI3.

Generally you want to swift flare since it'll still be with Raging up, and that does quite some damage.

There's also another opening that's better but kinda slower, however since I haven't played in a while I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but basically Blizzard III precast > Thunder 2 or 3 > Fire III then do the rotation, it gives you one more fire at certain amounts of mp in the initial rotation since the thunder and fire III end up "free", at the cost of being slower to ramp up, which isn't really an issue on a boss fight. DPS is about the same because of the additional fire.

Learning all the intricacies of the BLM rotation 2weeks before it's probably made completely obsolete though might not be that useful.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've tried the B3 -> T3 -> F3 -> F5 opener. Hm.

And, yeah, the rotation is changing a lot but a lot of the nuances of AF3/UI3 balancing is still there. It's still a good place to start for the new Enochian/Fire 4/Blizzard 4 balancing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
We are pleased to announce that we have re-opened PlayStation®Store downloads and product code entry for "FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward" as of May 25, 2015.

We apologise for this delayed notice and for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Source (EU).

IvorB

So spamming Fire I after getting three astral fires is better than just spamming Fire III¿ Sometimes I like using Fire III > Swiftcast > Fire III so everything explodes.

Is your black mage under level 44? Sometimes Fire III -> Swiftcast -> Fire III can be good if you are under level 44 and don't have Firestarter. Otherwise I don't think it would be worth wasting your Swiftcast for that.

New glamors almost make me want to bring back old tomo. Almost.

GAF it's my birthday, I want a pony.

Happy birthday, mate!

Eldren

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.

All the best, Jayhawk. I'll be sure to wave at you whenever I see you by the Cactpot ticket guy o/

That new gear is pretty nice. I expect to see every single cat girl in Eorzea in those sandals combined with the hempen underwear.
I'll probably wear them too.

dramatis

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.
Now I will have to gather the GAF to smack you down with a cultural victory

Jayhawk

Wait, I'm lost, why does Jayhawk need a smaller FC for crafting? Isn't more people better to pool resources for things like the airship? Genuinely curious.

Analogy time!

Suppose every FC is a restaurant. Unfortunately due to PS3 limitations, every FC's kitchen is the same size regardless of employee count. Each restaurant only gets to put out one menu.

When you have hundreds of chefs, managers, and patrons wanting input on what goes on the menu, some stakeholders may not have the amount of control they want with the menu. Even if a chef had the amount of input they wanted, maybe they'd feel guilty that others as deserving or more deserving do not have as much input.

Maybe a chef just wants to avoid having to deal with that amount of politics that come with a restaurant of that large size, but the same size kitchen as every other restaurant.

A chef may not also want to cook a certain type of cuisine as determined by the group, or that chef may not want to work together with other chefs they dislike. So what should a chef do? Stick around and get in the way of all the other chefs, or find a restaurant that has fewer chefs?

One thing that wasn't mentionned and is very important to note is that at Astral/Umbral 3, you get a MASSIVE speed boost when casting the opposite element which didn't exist at lower levels. That makes Blizzard III while in Astral Fire III very quick to cast and as such very fast to swap between Astral Fire III and Umbral III states(and similar the other way with Fire III).

It's one thing that also confused me before I got my BLM to these levels, I didn't really understand why people didn't use Transpose, but endgame you rarely Transpose anymore other than a few specific usages(after a hardcast flare if you're forced to cast one for aoe reasons for example, or at the end of a mana regen phase if you have a firestarter proc so you get 1stack astral fire before you do an instant Fire III to swap back).

Redx508

New glamors almost make me want to bring back old tomo. Almost.

GAF it's my birthday, I want a pony.

Happy Birthday!!

For Jayhawk don't forget about us in mumble
LOicMJA.gif

rubius01

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.

Damn, I take one day off and the this happens....

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Does anyone know how/when you get the preorder bonuses when you purchased through PSN?

Analogy time!

Suppose every FC is a restaurant. Unfortunately due to PS3 limitations, every FC's kitchen is the same size regardless of employee count. Each restaurant only gets to put out one menu.

When you have hundreds of chefs, managers, and patrons wanting input on what goes on the menu, some stakeholders may not have the amount of control they want with the menu. Even if a chef had the amount of input they wanted, maybe they'd feel guilty that others as deserving or more deserving do not have as much input.

Maybe a chef just wants to avoid having to deal with that amount of politics that come with a restaurant of that large size, but the same size kitchen as every other restaurant.

A chef may not also want to cook a certain type of cuisine as determined by the group, or that chef may not want to work together with other chefs they dislike. So what should a chef do? Stick around and get in the way of all the other chefs, or find a restaurant that has fewer chefs?

you should lead the randgris corporation if it still exists

Analogy time!

So this analogy flies right over my head because I genuinely don't know the endgame crafting scene in our FC, or even the game lol. What does an FF14 end game crafting menu consist of? Is there some sort of crafting output our FC has? Who are the customers? I figured crafting is for self-income and people just throw their stuff on the AH. The only other crafting I'm familiar from other mmos is raiding food/pots, which again is more about being self-sufficient than having to waste money buying it every week.

Is there anything in-game right now that requires some sort of coordination between crafters (beyond just trading mats I mean)? I thought crafting was essentially a solo affair and HW was finally introducing some ways to interact among eachother? Is it because the specializations for our FC aren't being done in a better way (I only briefly perused our guildworks thread because again, no clue about crafting)? Are specializations even relevant?

You don't have to answer any of these, it's just what genuinely came to my mind as I read your response. I can get not liking people, and I can totally get wanting the feel of a smaller more personal guild. Those come across to me just fine. I'm just not seeing why the crafting part is such a big deal. I feel like I'm missing the big picture of 14 crafting.

There's nothing right now, but I believe FC crafting and airship stuff that are coming with the expansion is what the analogy is about. Oh and possibly crafting specializations too, to reduce overlap and what not.

iammeiam

I'd assume FC buffs are going to be a point of contention. Heading in to Heavensward I'd expect combat EXP buff and Reduced Rates II up full time. There are crafting buffs that can be super helpful when trying for new/difficult crafts and from what I remember of 2.4 it amounted to picking an hour to swap out buffs and telling crafters to cram everything in before ninja XP buff went back up.

FC airship mission items and the building thereof will probably trend more genpop friendly in GAF, too. GAF h!as a ton of people but we only get as many buffs and airships and whatever as a lot of much smaller and less active FCs.

It's also possible this is just because his terrible Captain Galen plan failed to gain traction.

Valor

Basically Jayhawk wants to be more like a Xelios and less like a Baramoht. Maybe he wants to take a run at Cheshire Kat or something so he needs to spread his wings and fly.

Now who will help me run for captain of the GAF airship!?

It's also possible this is just because his terrible Captain Galen plan failed to gain traction.
Wowowowowowowowowow.

Maybe there's room in the Jayhawk airship for two if this is the kind of treatment I get.

I'd assume FC buffs are going to be a point of contention. Heading in to Heavensward I'd expect combat EXP buff and Reduced Rates II up full time. There are crafting buffs that can be super helpful when trying for new/difficult crafts and from what I remember of 2.4 it amounted to picking an hour to swap out buffs and telling crafters to cram everything in before ninja XP buff went back up.

FC airship mission items and the building thereof will probably trend more genpop friendly in GAF, too. GAF h!as a ton of people but we only get as many buffs and airships and whatever as a lot of much smaller and less active FCs.

This is a neat point that never really comes to mind. The idea of having only two active guild buffs is weird and I'm not used to it, coming from WoW. I could see how someone focused on the non-battle parts of the game would feel like they're at a disadvantage in this type of FC. So if someone like Jayhawk wanted to immediately become a top crafter in HW on Ultros this FC really isn't the best environment for it. That helps a lot, thanks.

tariniel

The Ninja stuff they revealed so far for the expansion doesn't look too interesting. I'm worried it's going to be basically the same except I cast Huton less.

SMN though has some cool looking stuff, so I might level that one first just because of that.

The Ninja stuff they revealed so far for the expansion doesn't look too interesting. I'm worried it's going to be basically the same except I cast Huton less.

SMN though has some cool looking stuff, so I might level that one first just because of that.

omg your avatar just instinctively made me want to post - do not sign. :O

aceface

There's also the issue of who gets to decide how the airships will be spec'd and rewards will be distributed in such a big FC. And I suppose to a lesser extent, house glamour.

There's also the issue of who gets to decide how the airships will be spec'd and rewards will be distributed in such a big FC. And I suppose to a lesser extent, house glamour.

Are there specific details about the airships out? What sort of specs/awards? I must have missed info about them because I don't see much when I search. I figured it'd be an in-air house and I read it will help with hunts. Can there really be a captain? Can it not be Galen please?

dramatis

The only part I'm interested in is how we can build a house within a house.

FC airship is going to be FC retainer, which is kind of dumb until they add more to it.

aceface

Are there specific details about the airships out? What sort of specs/awards? I must have missed info about them because I don't see much when I search. I figured it'd be an in-air house and I read it will help with hunts. Can there really be a captain? Can it not be Galen please?

Apparently you can pick a faster engine to reach more unexplored areas or a bigger hold to bring back more items. Stuff like that you have to choose between.

Edit: well here's the quote from YoshiP's reddit interview

With the building of the airship you’re not going to be picking from a list of available designs but building it from different parts. There will be four major parts which go into your Free Company ship. For example the engine, fuel tank, the body, and then the sail that propels you and each part will have different designs as well as different capabilities. If you pick a high capability engine that has good power and a fast speed when you send your Free Company out with that high capability engine to scout based on we’ve been calling a “sky map” it can go out quickly and return fast but it’s a gas guzzler. It takes up a lot fuel. So you then add on a very large fuel tank. But because it’s so huge you lose space to store your items. Considering those different parameters that come with different parts you’ll be discussing among your Free Company members to see which parts you would need to build your ideal airship. So that’s the first part of Free Company crafting in terms of an airship. At the start of Heavensward you’re not only able to have just one ship but you can actually build up to four ships. And those airships will be ranked. And depending on what your rank level is there will be different parts you can and cannot equip. At the start of Heavensward once you build your airship you’ll be able to send it out to scout, no passengers, just the ship goes out to try and scout. And then in a following patch you’ll then be able to board that ship and explore and find uncharted areas. And even beyond there’ll be capabilities to add combat capability so you can have sort of a battleship. So it’s going to be very major content that will become available throughout the 3.x patch series. Once you’re able to go out and explore and travel and find those different areas in the sky you may find that some of these areas may have Notorious hardcore monsters that you can’t beat and just end up defeated and having to have to come back. Or you may find that other Free Company have already visited and trashed it and made a mess of it. Or you may end up finding a land where you can find really rare gathering items, materials that you can harvest. So there will be a lot of very interesting things you can look forward to in the 3.x series.

Apparently you can pick a faster engine to reach more unexplored areas or a bigger hold to bring back more items. Stuff like that you have to choose between.

Hmm, seems like sort of small, inconsequential stuff. Still, I don't even really know how the governing of the FC works. I know the regulars that are always on but all I really know is Felix runs the pve stuff, which is more my interest. Maybe Jayhawk should have lead a crafters coup.

Yeah, reading the above paragraph, who controls the FC airship? Who gets to decide where we send them? How do we decide those people? Is this a democracy? Does my vote count? How are rewards distributed? Should I shut my mouth?

Analogy time!

tl;dr version: I'm going home and taking my ball with me! Or perhaps red balloon...Exelon told me that you should take Pitbull with you btw. Seriously though, good luck to you and hopefully we'll still see you around and whatnot!
You will still be renovating my house in 3.0!

Fire 3's damage-to-cost(-to-cast time) isn't worth repeated use. It's there for the stacks of AF3 and for whenever Firestarter comes up. The rotation in general is Thunder -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder -> Blizzard 1* -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> etc. Or, in picture form, one of these, though I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd basic rotation..

Yea, I personally like to use Scathe instead of Blizz 1 like in that one rotation. One thing I do still have a habit of doing is if mp is high enough after my last Fire I cast and then using Blizz 3, I will bust out Thunder 3 even without TC. I can't sneak in a Blizz 1 or Scathe if I do that, but I can start casting Fire III immediately after the Thunder 3 and always have the last tick of mp hit before the cast finishes. I generally don't see much of a dps difference there since the situation doesn't come up too often (usually using Thunder 1/2). But I should really stop using Thunder 3 outside of the opener and TC.

Also my lazy afk BLM rotation always uses Thunder 3 and sometimes cuts out 1 Fire 1 cast. Basically if my MP is above 1100, I cast another Fire 1, Blizz 3, then Thunder 3. If my MP is below 1100, don't cast another Fire 1, use Blizz 3, then Thunder 3. If it's super lazy, I don't even apply the previous rule, I will cast all the Fire Is, then Blizzard 3, and then just wait for the mana tick to allow me to cast Thunder 3. Usually leads to clipping off some of the mp or having to wait more time than you should to cast something, but that's why it is lazy. Can still do decent enough dps this way, and is a good autopilot mode if I need to focus more on mechanics and not optimizing my rotation because it's always the same buttons in the same order.

Baleoce

Is there any way to rewatch the relic cutscenes at all? I checked the unending journey in the inn room, couldn't find anything relic related. Perhaps I'm just missing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom