• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittercup

Have the developers said anything about making it more comfortable to share Interface/hotbars between platforms?
At least a local export/import feature to transfer settings via USB stick would be nice. Especially now with Heavensward when you level all classes again and skills and gear will change a lot.

Aesthet1c

Yes, Since the HW story starts from the end of the ARR story, you must complete them all. Should only take a few days at most depending on how hard you go at it I guess.

If you hit 50 before unsubbing, it won't take you too long to go through the story quests. From 2.1 onward each story quest only takes a few hours to complete, sooo I would guess the whole thing will take you somewhere around 12-20 hours. (Depending on how swift you are and how many cutscenes you skip.)

Can do that in 2.5 weeks easy.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah I hit 50 and made it part of the way into the 2.1 questline I think. My item level isn't great though, are there dungeons in the story quests with gear requirements?

WolvenOne

Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah I hit 50 and made it part of the way into the 2.1 questline I think. My item level isn't great though, are there dungeons in the story quests with gear requirements?

Just clear dungeons and stuff and you'll get most the gear and armor currency you need without really trying.

I see the Heavensward Preorder is up on PSN however it is showing as unavailable for me.

I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that my PS4 version is a free upgrade of the PS3 one.

Edit: Yup. It says it's unavailable to me because I need to purchase a copy of the PS4 version despite the fact that I received a copy of the PS4 version via upgrade.

That fucking sucks.

Hopefully buying physical will get around that.

iammeiam

So this is possibly old news, but it's the first I've read the explained out. This translated interview includes an explanation of how Coil DPS checks have been tuned.

Yoshida: Yes. Since all DPS jobs will be increasing up through level 60, it makes sense to have the white mage's DPS extend by a proportional amount as well. For development, such as with Bahamut's Coils, the development team assumes what the item level should be for general equipment on players when they clear a raid. They sum up the basic DPS for four DPS and tanks at that assumed item level and cut that by about 10-15% for the minimum clear DPS. Healer DPS is not taken into account when this is set.

Certainly for people who are at world's first level, their goal is to clear it at as low an item level as possible, lower than the one assumed during development. So if you look at the fight and figure out that if it's not numerically possible to clear with four DPS and tanks, you'll need to make up the gap with DPS from healers. Then when those publish clear videos and other people see the healers DPSing, they might think that healers need to be DPSing even though its a situation that only arose because their clear would have otherwise been impossible. While we could take this into account, and assume a different item level in the next update which would then make it impossible to clear even with the healer DPS, we'd eliminate this type of play for highly skilled players who use communication, items, and a high level of understanding to come up with those last second clears. That would be a tough decision to make, so I still think it should be up to each party's own plans.

This is also one of the reasons we decided to implement both a normal and savage version of Alexander. Once again, healer DPS was not included in the development team's calculation as it was for other jobs, so you should just think of healer DPS as a last way to get your overall party's DPS up to where it needs to be.

85-90% of full potential officially good enough.

I see the Heavensward Preorder is up on PSN however it is showing as unavailable for me.

I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that my PS4 version is a free upgrade of the PS3 one.

Edit: Yup. It says it's unavailable to me because I need to purchase a copy of the PS4 version despite the fact that I received a copy of the PS4 version via upgrade.

That fucking sucks.

Hopefully buying physical will get around that.

Yup I'm blocked from purchasing as well. Really Sony? Refusing to let us purchase the game because of a technical error? They'd better fix this, I'm not buying physical.

WolvenOne

So this is possibly old news, but it's the first I've read the explained out. This translated interview includes an explanation of how Coil DPS checks have been tuned.

Probably appropriate actually. I mean between some people having latency issues (which can prevent full utilization of DPS classes,) and the fact that most people cannot max out DPS while learning content.

Granted, this is probably in part why FCoB was cleared so quickly.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They sum up the basic DPS for four DPS and tanks at that assumed item level and cut that by about 10-15% for the minimum clear DPS.
"Basic DPS"
bgAo0tO.jpg

Noi

Both versions showed up as Unavailable to me before, but now it lets me buy the PS3 version (I did the PS3 > PS4 upgrade).

pls fix this sorny

BadRNG

It actually makes me really curious what gear/iLevel 13 was tuned around.
Wouldn't be surprised if the ilevel for DF is about where they tune it in development at that 80% dps mark.

Which is probably why it always seems like the DF requirement is too high.

WolvenOne

Well that sucks, I was about to resub to finish up the storyline, but no option from PS3->PS4 upgrade.

Give it a day or so, they'll get it figured out. Their systems probably have a hard time with people that upgraded from PS3, since it's kinda a unique situation there.

Valor

I like when the developers confirm what I said ages about about healer dps being bonus damage and not mandatory.

More like 70-75% potential when you factor in echo!

Only 65% effort required for Twintania, so step it up everyone.

Greetings,

We are aware of the issue where users who participated in the PS3>PS4 upgrade campaign are not able to purchase the Heavensward pre-order for the PS4 on PSN.
We are currently reaching out to Sony regarding this and will update when we have more information.

source

scy

official rulings \o/

I like when the developers confirm what I said ages about about healer dps being bonus damage and not mandatory.

I think almost everyone said this? It was usually tank DPS being a thought of number or not?

Either way, Cleric Stance for days still.
until heart of the cards everywhere

iammeiam

They don't account for healer DPS. Based on the way the game works, their tank numbers are probably full VIT/Fending for both. And it kind of sounds like they include item usage in the early progression only category, so PPP and stat pots probably aren't part of the number.

So basically there are a lot of tools out there to make up for us generally all being bads.

Like Holy.

Which is amazing.

Stuart444

They don't account for healer DPS. Based on the way the game works, their tank numbers are probably full VIT/Fending for both. And it kind of sounds like they include item usage in the early progression only category, so PPP and stat pots probably aren't part of the number.

So basically there are a lot of tools out there to make up for us generally all being bads.

Like Holy.

Which is amazing.

I just got Holy today :D

I have waited for this day. :D

Valor

I think almost everyone said this? It was usually tank DPS being a thought of number or not?

Either way, Cleric Stance for days still.
until heart of the cards everywhere
I remember it differently but it really is hardly important at this stage.

In other news, since I didn't purchase XIV digitally I can't get Heavensward digitally. Rip me.

BadRNG

Only 65% effort required for Twintania, so step it up everyone.
technically it's still mandatory if you want to clear it early in progression and not wait for gear, which is usually where people say it is needed

Twintania is legit crazy these days. You can fuck around the entire fight and still clear.

Stuart444

technically it's still mandatory if you want to clear it early in progression and not wait for gear, which is usually where people say it is needed

Twintania is legit crazy these days. You can fuck around the entire fight and still clear.

Like surrounding the MT near the end with Liquid Hell Spam :D

But yeah, only reason you'll die now is due to twisters, dread if it doesn't get stunned/killed before it gets to you or if you decide to wall yourself cause why not.

suzu

So if my account is Windows CE, but I've been launching through a copy on Steam someone bought me, does that mean I can't buy Heavensward on Steam and redeem it on my account?

If so, that is really dumb. Why make PC and Steam separate codes?

Was your FFXIV account originally created/registered with a Windows key? If so, then you should be able to go with Heavensward on Windows OR Steam. But keep in mind that you can only login on the specific platform you bought Heavensward.

If your account was registered with a Steam key first, then you can ONLY buy Heavensward on Steam.

Yeah it's dumb.

aceface

Can't quote cause on phone but in that article Angary quoted above Yoship says it will take as long to get from 50-60 as it took to get from 1-50 in ARR. He calls people who will do it in two weeks "a little crazy." Man it's gonna take me forever to get to Alexander.

Edit: also confirms that for Alexander gear "performance on savage gear will be higher" in addition to it being dyeable if there was any doubt about that.

iammeiam

Can't quote cause on phone but in that article Angary quoted above Yoship says it will take as long to get from 50-60 as it took to get from 1-50 in ARR. He calls people who will do it in two weeks "a little crazy." Man it's gonna take me forever to get to Alexander.

Edit: also confirms that for Alexander gear "performance on savage gear will be higher" in addition to it being dyeable if there was any doubt about that.

He also says you'll hit 60 on the main job by essentially doing story quests, opening up the map, and running each dungeon once or twice. So it probably goes a lot faster if you just skip all the cutscenes. Which I will be probably be doing. Provided I can find other people who will do the same for faster queue times.

Gotta get to the HM primals while they're still somewhat mysterious.

Stuart444

I wonder what he will call people who do it in 3 days then. or probably less lol.

BadRNG

Hope it's not that bad, the whole point of delaying Alexander was so people could get to 60 in time and not feel rushed. Saying this now defeats the whole point...

scy

He also says you'll hit 60 on the main job by essentially doing story quests, opening up the map, and running each dungeon once or twice. So it probably goes a lot faster if you just skip all the cutscenes. Which I will be probably be doing. Provided I can find other people who will do the same for faster queue times.

o/

gotta go fast

Yeah well I wouldn't put too much stock in the "it'll take as long as 2.0" until I see it, there's daily dungeons/guildhests now and dungeon xp was boosted A LOT, so I don't think it'll be that bad, unless they tuned it with specifically that in mind, which would then make it quite sloggish. It's only 10levels, if it takes 4-5casuals days to get one level, a lot of people will cry it's way too slow. There's a difference between taking a month a half to do 50levels and taking a month and a half to do 10levels.

That and I don't think I've seen a dev mention a figure for game completion and such that was actually accurate. I expect DRK/AST/MCN(MCH?) lvl 60 within the first 2weeks, if not earlier.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

So needing healers to boost your DPS just enough to progress smoothly mean your DPS players are poop-tier?

Damn

iammeiam

o/

gotta go fast

Will hold you to this. No takebacks!

So needing healers to boost your DPS just enough to progress smoothly mean your DPS players are poop-tier?

Damn

I think it's kind of complicated and interesting, really. I'm not really sure what percentage of the playerbase actually hits 100% of potential--I know I've seen bard parses no bard I know has ever come anywhere near--and while 15% shortfall seems generous, I'd guess that there's huge overlap between people in the 95-100 range and the early progression folk that are exploiting every advantage anyway, including healer DPS. It leaves very little room for error, I guess, until overgearing kicks in.

Damn

I think it's just while progressing, a lot of people aren't doing 100% of their DPS, plus you might have deaths to mistakes which will severely impact your total DPS and if the fight is tuned closely enough, that means you won't make it. Add a healer doing 50-100DPS on top though and it evens out.

And I would say T13 was probably tuned with a group in full 130 in mind, but not necessarily with as much optimization as people ended up doing(covering DPS to skip some of the shakers, stacking stuff to aoe everything down, tanks maximizing DPS with offtank dropping tank stance/using DPS accessories and such). The healer is there to cover for mistakes or for undergeared DPS in the case of the early kills.

BadRNG

Damn
Or you're undergeared, as many are when doing progression. The % he gave was based on people being the correct ilevel they tuned for, which generally seems to be much higher than what people actually clear it at.

And I would say T13 was probably tuned with a group in full 130 in mind,
Tuning content for the ilevel of the gear it drops seems like bad design. I would guess something closer to 120-125 for T13? Although since it's last fight I guess they could tune it higher just to make it harder.

For healers dping in T13, I think it was partially needed because one of the roadblocks when progressing there was minimum HP, so healers dpsed to compensate for some of the DPS needing to wear i90 jewelry melded VIT just to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom