• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.

Aww :( well you have us on your friends list if you ever need anything o/

Enjoy your new FC

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and good bye to everybody in the Ultros GAF FC for everything in the past year.

As I have slowly told more and more people the past few weeks, an FC with hundreds of active members that log on over the course of a day does not match my plans and goals with Heavensward - especially with what has been revealed with regards to FC crafting. I will look for a smaller FC that is similar to the one I was a member of when I started off in 2.0.

The crafting system was the main draw that caused me to subscribe to this game back in 2010 for 1.0 back on Trabia server and in 2013 for 2.0 on the Hyperion server, with which Trabia merged. All my crafting and gathering classes reached 50 before my Monk. The only reason Paladin got to 45+ was to unlock Mor Dhona leves. I am more eager to get crafting in 3.0 more than diving into any battle components of the expansion.

I will still raid with my current group and I will remain on Ultros. I will still hop on Mumble on occasion. I have filled my friend list with almost 200 GAF FC members over the past few weeks during my completed quest to cap out my friend list. Feel free to make any crafting or other requests come expansion, as long as you don't try to sell my products for profit.

Good luck with Heavensward, especially with the new hunts when I can easily stalk most of you via friend list.

noooooooooooooooo. who's gonna make fun of ppl with me

Moaradin

I'm unsure where to buy Heavensward. My account is an old FFXIV 2.0 acc, but I bought the Steam version later on just so I could have the game on Steam. I boot the game from steam but I don't use the key that I got from the steam version. I just log into my old account through the launcher like normal.

Will I be ok getting the steam version of Heavensward?

TRI Mike

I just hit level 40 BLM last night and still feel like I'm missing a lot and don't know tons of things. Example, I ignored the Chocobo companion because for some reason I thought it was only a parner Summoners/Arcanists could have. Now that I'm level 40 I'm wondering if having a level 1 chocobo companion around will be useful or should I just start using it once I start a second class.

Also, what's the item level¿ I see some people talking about raids requiring 50+ item level but, isn't the max level 50¿ (60 in HW) I really don't understand that. And finally, I got scolded in a dungeon the other day because the tank said I "wasn't following marks". In dungeons I usually cast Fire II, Fire III, Thunder II and Blizzard III in rotation to keep my MP. I noticed that in that particular instance, the enemies had numbers above them but I honestly ignored them. What happened and why are those numbers not showing up again¿

I'm unsure where to buy Heavensward. My account is an old FFXIV 2.0 acc, but I bought the Steam version later on just so I could have the game on Steam. I boot the game from steam but I don't use the key that I got from the steam version. I just log into my old account through the launcher like normal.

Will I be ok getting the steam version of Heavensward?

I am in a similar boat.

I was using a regular non-Steam key for a few months. When the Steam version came out I bought it on a discount because I really wanted a copy on Steam. I have been using that version ever since.

Do I still have access to the non-Steam version? I can get the Heavensward collector's edition for a lot cheaper non-Steam.

I also ended up with a new key for the non-Steam version as a free giveaway for buying a new computer.

To find out if you need the steam version or not I believe the way to do it is to log on mogstation and check what licenses you have on your account. Mine says Win and PS4 near Standard, if it says Steam instead of Win, I assume you only have a steam license. If it says both, then you might have both? In which case upgrading either would work fine as long as you use the proper version to login(which means instead of using the integrated steam version you'd need to use the standalone launcher, which you could add to your steam library as a non steam game but it won't be the same).

That's my understanding of it though, might want to contact support to find out for sure.

Edit: Nope, isn't the case, both say Win and steam+non steam can't be on the same account.

grimmiq

you in tonberry?

Nope, Hyperion (AUS LS I was in for 1.0 went there for some reason so I followed, took a 6month break and came back to find everyone gone), depending on how my current FC goes in Heavensward I may transfer to either Ultros or Tonberry.

Qvoth

blue mage! http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001032.html
lol

oshare09.png

oshare02.png

oshare03.png

oshare08.png

oshare01.png

oshare04.png

oshare05.png

oshare06.png

oshare07.png

Frumix

Suffering From Success
To find out if you need the steam version or not I believe the way to do it is to log on mogstation and check what licenses you have on your account. Mine says Win and PS4 near Standard, if it says Steam instead of Win, I assume you only have a steam license. If it says both, then you might have both? In which case upgrading either would work fine as long as you use the proper version to login(which means instead of using the integrated steam version you'd need to use the standalone launcher, which you could add to your steam library as a non steam game but it won't be the same).

That's my understanding of it though, might want to contact support to find out for sure.

It says Win if you have Steam version as well.
However you can click on Your Account button and if there's a Steam Payment button among those that show up you have a Steam account.

The steam version just boot up the launcher though. It's very confusing. What makes a steam account different than a regular PC account when they both go through the same launcher?

Steam accounts have Steam API enabled for Steam Wallet payments. The only difference is the license, there's no actual effect on anything in the game.

Moaradin

The steam version just boot up the launcher though. It's very confusing. What makes a steam account different than a regular PC account when they both go through the same launcher?

It says Win if you have Steam version as well.
However you can click on Your Account button and if there's a Steam Payment button among those that show up you have a Steam account.

So does it says Win twice if you have both the non steam and steam version? Sounds weird.

And it'll always go through the launcher, but the steam version is still considered different because reasons. Probably due to steam wallet payment and steam taking their cuts on the sales and stuff like that. It's basically like a PS3 or PS4 version, which also go through the launcher, but they're different and you need heavensward for each of them. Because of this you need to buy the correct heavensward version if you have the steam version or the non steam version. If you have both, you need to buy both expansions, or whichever one you want to use. All of them should be on your main account if setup properly so you won't lose your characters or anything, but it prevents you from accessing heavensward if you log on the wrong one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So does it says Win twice if you have both the non steam and steam version? Sounds weird.

And it'll always go through the launcher, but the steam version is still considered different because reasons. Probably due to steam wallet payment and steam taking their cuts on the sales and stuff like that. It's basically like a PS3 or PS4 version, which also go through the launcher, but they're different and you need heavensward for each of them. Because of this you need to buy the correct heavensward version if you have the steam version or the non steam version. If you have both, you need to buy both expansions, or whichever one you want to use. All of them should be on your main account if setup properly so you won't lose your characters or anything, but it prevents you from accessing heavensward if you log on the wrong one.

You can't have both.

So is there any way to make my account steam compatible? I still have the steam key unused.

I would like to buy Heavensward on Steam.

If you already have non-steam Windows key registered for ARR, you can't use Steam for that account anymore I'm afraid. The Steam key you have can be used to create a completely different account.

Moaradin

So is there any way to make my account steam compatible? I still have the steam key unused. It's still very confusing since I log into the game through the steam launcher with my non-steam account.

I would like to buy Heavensward on Steam.

iammeiam

Mine just says Win/PS4 even though I also have the Steam version of the game and that's the one I regularly use.

Account Type: Collector's Edition Windows® / PlayStation®4
Subscription: Entry
Payment Method: Credit Card/Debit Card
Number of Characters: 2 Characters(2 Worlds)

Yeah added an edit to correct that, seems I was wrong, steam version is also Win and they're exclusive.

I'm guessing it's just what is installed. I have a license for a non-Steam version of the game so if I install and just use that I can then buy a non-Steam version of Heavensward.

If I choose to stick with using the Steam install I will need to buy the Steam version.

My only concern is whether or not the Steam license over-wrote my non-Steam license or if I technically have both since I registered both on PC.

I guess I can just install a non-steam client and see what happens.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm guessing it's just what is installed. I have a license for a non-Steam version of the game so if I install and just use that I can then buy a non-Steam version of Heavensward.

If I choose to stick with using the Steam install I will need to buy the Steam version.

My only concern is whether or not the Steam license over-wrote my non-Steam license or if I technically have both since I registered both on PC.

I guess I can just install a non-steam client and see what happens.

No. Steam and Non-Steam clients are identical. It is not about what's installed, it's about where the product key used to create the service account came from - Steam or otherwise. Again, there's no difference in game files and it doesn't matter if you launch it using Steam or not. Actual game does not connect with Steam API in any way.

Wait, I'm lost, why does Jayhawk need a smaller FC for crafting? Isn't more people better to pool resources for things like the airship? Genuinely curious.

IMBored

I just hit level 40 BLM last night and still feel like I'm missing a lot and don't know tons of things. Example, I ignored the Chocobo companion because for some reason I thought it was only a parner Summoners/Arcanists could have. Now that I'm level 40 I'm wondering if having a level 1 chocobo companion around will be useful or should I just start using it once I start a second class.

Also, what's the item level¿ I see some people talking about raids requiring 50+ item level but, isn't the max level 50¿ (60 in HW) I really don't understand that. And finally, I got scolded in a dungeon the other day because the tank said I "wasn't following marks". In dungeons I usually cast Fire II, Fire III, Thunder II and Blizzard III in rotation to keep my MP. I noticed that in that particular instance, the enemies had numbers above them but I honestly ignored them. What happened and why are those numbers not showing up again¿

The level people talk about is item level. The items have a level when you can equip them and actual item level, the average of that dtermines the ilevel you have, it shows on your portrait in the upper right corner. The marks are markers people can put on enemies to indicate the order to kill them. Mostly it's the tanks that do this and dps should focus on that enemy and don't do much aoe.

IMBored

I'm gonna delete you from my friends list and you'll be at 199 friends forever. Because nobody else wants to be your friend. You'll never escape gill seller requests.

(Also, craft me a airship. With guns.)

Wait, I'm lost, why does Jayhawk need a smaller FC for crafting? Isn't more people better to pool resources for things like the airship? Genuinely curious.

I think he didn't want to have everyone asking him to craft stuff constantly while he's trying to get his own stuff done and what not. Also a crafting FC would be a ton more efficient at pooling ressources than a general FC, even if 10times bigger, simply because the ressources you'll have to pool are mostly going to be high end, requiring specialized gatherers and so on. Anyway it's not like a FC tag does much of a difference in this game, with linkshells and stuff.

The chocobo can be used as a mount as well as fighting with it. Since it will be a low level, you can use it with your current class in low level areas or use it with a second class but having it as a mount is useful for getting around the map quicker.

Item Level: Each equipment has a different item level. For example, my BLM has a lvl 45 hand (the AF gear) which has an item level of 50. When you save a gearset, it shows you what the overall item level is based on what you have on. The top item level is 130 for armour 135 for weapon (relic and dreadwrym).

As for marks, some tanks will mark enemies with numbers to show you what they want the DPS to focus on, it's just to try keep everyone on the one target.

No. Steam and Non-Steam clients are identical. It is not about what's installed, it's about where the product key used to create the service account came from - Steam or otherwise. Again, there's no difference in game files and it doesn't matter if you launch it using Steam or not. Actual game does not connect with Steam API in any way.

Ok, I think I am starting to understand.

The product key I used to create the service was from the initial collector's edition released well before "A Realm Reborn" came out. My Squenix Account still recognizes that.

So, even though I later bought the Steam version and will continue to use it I should still be able to upgrade using a Non-Steam Heavensward key?

Frumix

Suffering From Success

The product key I used to create the service was from the initial collector's edition released well before "A Realm Reborn" came out. My Squenix Account still recognizes that.

So, even though I later bought the Steam version and will continue to use it I should still be able to upgrade using a Non-Steam Heavensward key?

Yes, you'll have to purchase a non-steam copy.

iammeiam

Do you have the option to pay for things with Steam Wallet on Mogstation? I think/hope that's the indicator of which version your account is registered with.

You've been training your whole life for this moment; time to step up and mock without the Jayhawk carry. I believe in you.

Waifu gear. Male version is pretty potato friendly but female top is eh.

Still. We desperately need more glamour options in general so bring it on.

but I'm from the fake east coast. I'll never be truly legit

I think he didn't want to have everyone asking him to craft stuff constantly while he's trying to get his own stuff done and what not. Also a crafting FC would be a ton more efficient at pooling ressources than a general FC, even if 10times bigger, simply because the ressources you'll have to pool are mostly going to be high end, requiring specialized gatherers and so on. Anyway it's not like a FC tag does much of a difference in this game, with linkshells and stuff.

Oh. I thought he meant there was a clear disadvantage to having more people in regards to crafting. If he said he was looking for a crafting specific FC, that'd have made more sense. I just figured with GAF we had a lot of people who were level 50 crafters/gatherers so that would be an advantage. I actually have no clue what the crafting scene is in our FC. Do people really ask for crafts? Craft what? All I ever see are an occasional materia meld request.

And yeah, I'm one of his special 200 friends so I'm not worried about that. I guess I just don't get the crafting scene in this game yet. I probably never will to be honest, just not enough time.

Yes, you'll have to purchase a non-steam copy.

"have to"

Glad I didn't even try to do it with the Steam Version.

Do you have the option to pay for things with Steam Wallet on Mogstation? I think/hope that's the indicator of which version your account is registered with.

I will check for this. I don't think I have ever seen the option.

Thanks for all the help BTW!

Edit: I don't see any Steam Wallet stuff on Mogstation.

Edit 2: Just bought it off Green Man and then used the code on Mogstation for Bonus Items and Early Access. Everything worked. I guess that means I'm good.

Thanks again! You just saved me a lot of money. (Well, I guess I could have received a Steam refund.)

Stuart444

Rotation wise, Fire III comes before Fire II (which is for AoEing, if a tank wants you to follow marks, just use Fire I). Fire III gives you a full stack of Astral Fire which puts up the dmg caused by Fire I/II.

Might not be the most optimal rotation but I would suggest (at least on bosses, since mobs die too fast to get full use of thunder): Quelling Strikes (if you have it, ARC cross class skill) -> Thunder 2 -> Raging Strikes (again Arc Cross Class skill) -> Fire III -> Fire I until nearly out of MP -> Blizzard III -> Thunder 2 refresh -> Fire III (by this point, at least while leveling, not sure about at 50 - your mp should be fully recovered) -> Fire I til nearly out of MP -> repeat while keeping raging strikes up whenever it's off CD.

Quelling is because it's easy even when doing a single target rotation for the BLM to steal aggro due to the high burst dmg at the start of the fight.

Any expert BLMs here can probably give you better tips, I'm mainly posting this because the rotation you're doing doesn't seem that good and might make dungeons take longer because things take longer to die.

(I had a Cutter's the other day which had a BLM use nothing but Fire III -> Blizzard 3 -> repeat. Took so much longer than it needed to even with my WHM DPS lol)

iammeiam

but I'm from the fake east coast. I'll never be truly legit

Don't sell yourself short; imitation east coaster but 100% authentic jackass.

Edit: I don't see any Steam Wallet stuff on Mogstation.

Thanks for checking. I'd swear I initially picked up a PC license for dirt cheap off Amazon and bought a Steam copy on sale later, but I have the Steam Wallet option so maybe I just never bought or didn't bought but didn't redeem my Amazon copy.

I was going to try registering the preorder code from the Steam copy but apparently there's no way to get the registration key without being at a computer that has Steam installed? Mobile app is junk.

TRI Mike

So spamming Fire I after getting three astral fires is better than just spamming Fire III¿ Sometimes I like using Fire III > Swiftcast > Fire III so everything explodes.

Don't sell yourself short; imitation east coaster but 100% authentic jackass.

Thanks for checking. I'd swear I initially picked up a PC license for dirt cheap off Amazon and bought a Steam copy on sale later, but I have the Steam Wallet option so maybe I just never bought or didn't bought but didn't redeem my Amazon copy.

I was going to try registering the preorder code from the Steam copy but apparently there's no way to get the registration key without being at a computer that has Steam installed? Mobile app is junk.

scy

So spamming Fire I after getting three astral fires is better than just spamming Fire III¿ Sometimes I like using Fire III > Swiftcast > Fire III so everything explodes.

Fire 3's damage-to-cost(-to-cast time) isn't worth repeated use. It's there for the stacks of AF3 and for whenever Firestarter comes up. The rotation in general is Thunder -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder -> Blizzard 1* -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> etc. Or, in picture form, one of these, though I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd basic rotation.

*Can be omitted if the first MP tick during UI3 comes up early enough that you hit full before Fire 3 casts. Usually get that early tick when using Thunder 2 instead of Thunder 1 but still sort of requires keeping an eye on things.

Stuart444

Fire 3's damage-to-cost(-to-cast time) isn't worth repeated use. It's there for the stacks of AF3 and for whenever Firestarter comes up. The rotation in general is Thunder -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder -> Blizzard 1* -> Fire 3 -> Fire 1 until low -> etc. Or, in picture form, one of these, though I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd basic rotation.

*Can be omitted if the first MP tick during UI3 comes up early enough that you hit full before Fire 3 casts. Usually get that early tick when using Thunder 2 instead of Thunder 1 but still sort of requires keeping an eye on things.

I've seen F5/T2/etc mentioned a lot but what the hell do those mean? I've not found an answer to that and I'm curious.

Valor

I've seen F5/T2/etc mentioned a lot but what the hell do those mean? I've not found an answer to that and I'm curious.

I'm assuming F# is the amount of Fire 1 casts until low on mana and T# is whether you're using Thunder 1 or 2 due to cast time/mana cost with the rotation to still have enough mana left over for Blizzard 3.

plake

GL Nat. Sounds wise although I'll miss having you around. It was a pleasure to static with you and I'll run into you I'm sure!

scy

It's just the shorthand notation: F5 T2 means "Fire 5 times, use Thunder 2" with AF3/UI3 triggers just assumed wherever they go. Which, on that note, the rotation 2 there (F2 T2) should be F5 T2 instead. Not sure why it's listed as F2 in that image.

Edit: I guess it's worth mentioning here that the image doesn't cover when to use buffs (I prefer Raging Strikes going up after the Fire 3, not before) and to use Swiftcast + Flare + Convert on any rotation where they're up once you're done with all the Fire spam (and especially whenever Raging Strikes is up!).

Stuart444

I'm assuming F# is the amount of Fire 1 casts until low on mana and T# is whether you're using Thunder 1 or 2 due to cast time/mana cost with the rotation to still have enough mana left over for Blizzard 3.

It's just the shorthand notation: F5 T2 means "Fire 5 times, Thunder 2" with AF3/UI3 triggers just assumed wherever they go. Which, on that note, the rotation 2 there (F2 T2) should be F5 T2 instead. Not sure why it's listed as F2 in that image.

Yeah, that Rotation 2 one is what threw me off, I think I've seen that same mistake somewhere else as well.

Ty you two.

Edit: I guess it's worth mentioning here that the image doesn't cover when to use buffs (I prefer Raging Strikes going up after the Fire 3, not before) and to use Swiftcast + Flare + Convert on any rotation where they're up once you're done with all the Fire spam (and especially whenever Raging Strikes is up!).

Heh, well if it was following my rotation above, (which isn't the most optimal probably but it's what Alice has been doing while leveling), with Flare it'd be

Quelling -> Thunder 2 -> Raging -> F3 -> F1 til nearly out of mana -> Swift Flare -> Convert -> Blizzard 3?

Sounds like a lovely case of blowing things to smithereens lol.

Valor

Heh, well if it was following my rotation above, (which isn't the most optimal probably but it's what Alice has been doing while leveling), with Flare it'd be

Quelling -> Thunder 2 -> Raging -> F3 -> F1 til nearly out of mana -> Swift Flare -> Convert -> Blizzard 3?

Sounds like a lovely case of blowing things to smithereens lol.

I only use Convert to follow it up with a Fire 1 > Hardcast Flare. If you're dropping Flare, you're likely gonna wanna double it up. You leave a lot of mana on the table when you Convert > Blizz 3 especially since you're still in AF3. Might as well cast another fire or something.

Also yeah, you're burning a good few seconds on Raging Strikes by casting it before the Hardcast Fire 3. I would advise dropping it before Fire 1 spam as scy said.

Why not Thunder 3 to start? The only downside to 3 is the cast time, which you negate when you pre-cast it on the pull.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Phenomenal.

I upgraded from the PS3->PS4 version last year, and want to resub for the expansion. Apparently I can't pre-order or even purchase the expansion on PSN because it doesn't recognize that I hold a license to the PS4 game after the transfer(noticed this at the time and knew this would come to back to bite me). I have FFXIV in my library and can launch the game just fine, but the storefront doesn't register that, giving an error that I must own the base game in order to even attempt a purchase.

Anyone else in a similar boat? I own the game and its playable!!

scy

I only use Convert to follow it up with a Fire 1 > Hardcast Flare.

Well, in a single-target situation, never hardcast Flare. It's Swiftcast + Flare -> Convert -> Fire 1 -> Blizzard 3; it's a slight loss to single-target a hardcast Flare since it takes so long + Transpose to regen up is slow.

I hardcast Flares in AoE, though. Because Flare. Flaaaaare.

Also yeah, you're burning a good few seconds on Raging Strikes by casting it before the Hardcast Fire 3. I would advise dropping it before Fire 1 spam as scy said.

It's also due to that initial Fire 3 being so weak anyway. Can do the Raging after the first Fire 1 if you want to use it for checking for a Firestarter proc as well (and/or tell yourself this every time you forget to Raging after that Fire 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom