• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Code:
Yea, I personally like to use Scathe instead of Blizz 1 like in that one rotation.

Blizzard is strictly better but Scathe lets you move earlier. Really, the ideal one is not having to cast anything. Getting out of Umbral in one GCD is the best option.

Edit: BUT, it's like ... not even relevant at all really? Just don't do nothing is all that really matters. Something about ABCs.

If it's super lazy, I don't even apply the previous rule, I will cast all the Fire Is, then Blizzard 3, and then just wait for the mana tick to allow me to cast Thunder 3.

This is the best of those listed lazy options. Losing that one Fire cast is something like a 10+% loss outright? Waiting a tick in UI3 and getting T3 instead of T1B1 isn't a huge deal.

Oh god somehow FCCCCoB has become synonymous with GAF PVE Stuff.

What a strange world we live in.

It's like the worst possible outcome. We're on a Bad End route.

iammeiam

Who was hoping ground transit in Ishgard would be like running through the sylphlands?

When we were playing the test version, even at level 60 and item level 170, it seemed like it would be unreasonable to fight three or more monsters at once.

Yoshida: We've also made adjustments to the sensing range of enemies, using the beast tribe strongholds as a point of reference. For players until now, I think there was a point of view that you could just run through enemies on your mount even if you get attacked, but then it would be a disaster in beast tribe areas (laughs). So it's recommended that you cooperate with players around and move through the enemies one by one.

Not really a ton of other new info. Dungeons are designed to take 30 minutes with a party of new players and 16 with an overgeared experienced group, which seems fair.

IvorB

Man, I can't wait for the new black mage skills. I wonder how the forced proc thing will work. Thundercloud is off the ticks so if you have a thunder spell running and you do it will it give you a Thundercloud? What happens if you have Thunder running but you want to force a Firestarter? Will you get Thundercloud or Firestarter?

scy

Why is it 16 and not 15. Why is that what I noticed.

Now that I think of it, one of the bosses was a rafflesia.

Yoshida: That was kind of a half-joke (laughs).

is the other half of that joke Melusine

Man, I can't wait for the new black mage skills. I wonder how the forced proc thing will work. Thundercloud is off the ticks so if you have a thunder spell running and you do it will it give you a Thundercloud? What happens if you have Thunder running but you want to force a Firestarter? Will you get Thundercloud or Firestarter?

Unless they change how parts of the game interact, you would have to actually recast Thunder while under Sharpcast for it to gain that property. Though this then begs the question of does that Thunder now always proc Thundercloud? I would think it has to, right? Still struggling to find a good reason to Sharpcast anything but a Firestarter proc, honestly.

Dunan

Is anyone playing the Japanese version familiar with using Webmoney?

My friend said to me "I don't really understand how it works though, I can buy WebMoney gift cards but I'm not sure if I need to use them to charge a WebMoney account or if I just use the gift card on the Square Enix Account."

Any ideas?

I live in Japan and can get you a digital code for a month of play easily; it's a simple matter of going down to the 7-11. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

badbrains

I haven't played FFXIV since the patch where they added Extreme modes for Titan, Garuda, Ifrit so I believe 2.1. Is it too late to start playing again? I feel like I've missed so much of the content that coming back right now would serve little purpose

I haven't played FFXIV since the patch where they added Extreme modes for Titan, Garuda, Ifrit so I believe 2.1. Is it too late to start playing again? I feel like I've missed so much of the content that coming back right now would serve little purpose

I don't think it's ever too late.

scy

I guess it depends on what you mean by "purpose" here? Like, the expansion requires the rest of the story stuff to be done so if you were thinking of coming back due to the expansion, now is probably the best time to try to catch back up with things.

badbrains

I guess it depends on what you mean by "purpose" here? Like, the expansion requires the rest of the story stuff to be done so if you were thinking of coming back due to the expansion, now is probably the best time to try to catch back up with things.

Yes, that's what I wanted to know. So getting back into right now so I can come back for the expansion would be the best choice I believe. Is there a lot of content that I missed, or that I need to do to catch up from 2.1 to where I'll be ready for the expansion?

IvorB

Unless they change how parts of the game interact, you would have to actually recast Thunder while under Sharpcast for it to gain that property. Though this then begs the question of does that Thunder now always proc Thundercloud? I would think it has to, right? Still struggling to find a good reason to Sharpcast anything but a Firestarter proc, honestly.

I dunno. Technically the proc is off the tick not the actual cast so I don't know how it's supposed to work to be honest. Since there's many ticks per cast I don't know how this will fit in. If it's just 'the next proc opportunity will always be successful' then that will be a nightmare trying to get anything other than Thundercloud. If it basically means the Thunder will cause a Thundercloud immediately then I guess double cast Thunder 3 could be a thing or maybe when applying thunder you just get to throw in another Thunder 3. We'll probably need to read the actual skill description to know for sure. I'm sure sharpcast -> scathe could have its uses too. I just hope it's not on some godawful, slow-ass cool down though so we can actually make good use of it.

RK9039

I stopped playing even before that back in early 2014. I only re-subbed towards the end of May and now I'm completely up-to-date and ready for Heavensward, so I don't think it's too late for you. The game even allows you to exchange your old end game currency for the new stuff which allowed me to get out of Darklight gear within a few days.

The only thing I can't find anymore is Potash, I think another NPC sells that now.

scy

I dunno. Technically the proc is off the tick not the actual cast so I don't know how it's supposed to work to be honest.

The proc-effect is tied to the spell itself and not the player and buffs on the player don't interact with DoTs after-the-fact. So unless they change the whole snapshotting process, Sharpcast on the player does nothing to an existing Thunder spell.

I'm sure sharpcast -> scathe could have its uses too.

I honestly can't think of an opportunity for this. +100 potency for Sharpcast when you could've just waited (or pre-empted the movement) and gotten nearly double the outcome.

Yes, that's what I wanted to know. So getting back into right now so I can come back for the expansion would be the best choice I believe. Is there a lot of content that I missed, or that I need to do to catch up from 2.1 to where I'll be ready for the expansion?

Most of it will be gearing for requirements probably. There's quite a few trials (Leviathan, Ramuh, Shiva, Chrysalis, Steps of Faith), a few dungeons (Snowcloak, Keeper of the Lake for required ones), and tons of delivery quest bullshitfun and interesting quests.

The only thing I can't find anymore is Potash, I think another NPC sells that now.

Ixali Vendor, GC Seals, and dungeon drops for Potash.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You need to finish the main scenario to be ready for the expansion. There's about 80 main scenario quests between 2.2 - 2.56; including 2 mandatory dungeons (10 optional), 3 mandatory primals (extreme optional), and 2 main scenario trials. Most of the quests are fluff so you could probably finish them before the expansion.

Stuff like Frontlines PvP, Hildibrand & Postmaster side quests, Coil & Crystal Tower, Relic weapon quest, etc... are all optional and you don't need any of it to start playing in the new 3.0 zones.

Last time I played was back in 2.0. Your options for leveling a second class were the Hunting logs, Guildhests, levequests, and FATE grinding. Mostly FATE grinding.

I noticed they added a roulette. How quick is it to level a class, and how bad are the DPS queue times? I like tanking but I'm aware that no one really needs or wants tanks at end game.

Basically, I got ACN/SMN/SCH to 50 before I stopped playing and I wasn't too fond of my choice.

I like tanking but I'm aware that no one really needs or wants tanks at end game.

feelbadman.jpg

Last time I played was back in 2.0. Your options for leveling a second class were the Hunting logs, Guildhests, levequests, and FATE grinding. Mostly FATE grinding.

I noticed they added a roulette. How quick is it to level a class, and how bad are the DPS queue times? I like tanking but I'm aware that no one really needs or wants tanks at end game.

Basically, I got ACN/SMN/SCH to 50 before I stopped playing and I wasn't too fond of my choice.

tanks have the fastest queues, and dps usually longer. can be up to 30 minutes. Low level roulette usually adds about a level each time, and this is mainly from the bonus. Since it's random what dungeon you end up getting, you could be level 49 and get sastasha or a story primal, so all the exp comes from the bonus at the end, and you get barely any from the dungeon mobs/boss.

The only time being a tank will bite you in the ass is when you queue for Syrcus Tower or World of Darkness

WolvenOne

Well, leveling a Tank or Healer to 50 is easy peasy now. They buffed the amount of XP you get for doing dungeons, and yes there's a low level roulette that gives you a generous chunk of XP. DPS classes tho. The queue times for DPS classes can get pretty annoying. If you're solo queueing, your best bet is to do FATE's or LEVE's until your queue pops, otherwise that's too much time sitting around doing nothing.

PS: I really should get all my DPS and healing classes to level 30 before Heavensward. <_<;;

WolvenOne

Hmm, sounds like Heavensward might be the last expansion of this scale. That's actually probably a good move. It will render future expansions less of an event, but if they're smaller we're probably not going to have the same gaps in content like what we've seen leading up to Heavensward.

Also, spreading out content a bit isn't a bad thing. I would love it if we actually occasionally saw new zones and whatnot outside of expansions.

WolvenOne

They probably backed themselves into a corner with the 3 way FFA. Can't imagine 3 separate groups helps queue times at all.

Three groups, further split into two separate modes. It's no wonder queue times are horribad. It's annoying since I actually enjoyed PVP to an extent, until they added Slaughter. :p

WolvenOne

Weird.

Wonder who the culprit here is.

they just had to keep to the lore

Well they could ease the issues with Slaughter at least, by changing it from 72 man to 24 man. The queue times wouldn't be nearly so bad, it wouldn't be half as frustrating for controller users either, since we wouldn't have to tab through nearly as many targets when people converge on the middle.

Secure though, eh, that particular game wouldn't really work with such small groups. Though they could compensate a little by putting a larger PVP-XP and Wolfmark bonus, for doing Secure. Say, double the Wolfmarks/XP for doing Secure. That would lure some people into doing Secure and help the queue times a little in that regard.

Stuart444

I am a little confused about why this is. JPSN has it, NAPSN have it but we have to wait till the early access date ;-;?

I am slightly regretting my decision to wait but I really didn't want me and jade to have two figures sitting around.

It's also leaving it REALLY close if there is any bugs like the NA one on this day.

I hope they reverse this stupid incompetent decision or make sure people are there ready to fix any issues (including Sony people) day 1, minute 1 so we don't have a "it is bugged for people, we will fix it... as soon as we are able to, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week" type of thing.

Okay since this is just turning out to be a giant clusterfuck mess I'm going to stop trusting S-E/Sony and just pre-order it from shitty gamestop. I didn't want to give them any of my money but looking at how hard they're fucking Europe right now, my trust levels are pretty low.

aceface

I think you can preorder the physical copy from Amazon and still get early access, yeah? Or was there a fuck up with that too.

Ken

So does the NA PSN digital have early access?

I think you can preorder the physical copy from Amazon and still get early access, yeah? Or was there a fuck up with that too.

They're advertising early access but haven't sent out codes yet.

Stuart444

From what I heard, you also need the disc in the PS4 to play XIV (which I didn't know about before due to the upgrade campaign) so having to use a disc from now on is not exactly the most appealing thing after being so used to not needing one.

aceface

They're advertising early access but haven't sent out codes yet.

Well we ordered the collectors edition for PS4 and I don't think those codes have been generated either? SE emailed us a code but when we put it into their site to generate a code for PSN it said pending.

From what I heard, you also need the disc in the PS4 to play XIV (which I didn't know about before due to the upgrade campaign) so having to use a disc from now on is not exactly the most appealing thing after being so used to not needing one.

Huh, upgraded from PS3 here too so I had no idea you needed the disk in.

Stuart444

Huh, upgraded from PS3 here too so I had no idea you needed the disk in.

Neither did I but I said to someone on here you didn't need the disc in and got corrected. Alice googled it and found out you do indeed need the disc in. Which is also stupid but whatever.

This is one big clusterfuck anyway.

BadRNG

If you re-download the client off the PSN, from the free trial, and just login from there you do not need the disc anymore.

I'm just gonna assume we have XI fans to thank for that.... : /

Bringing danger back to the open world isn't really a "I want the game to be FF11" thing. It's a "I want things in the gameworld to actually have meaning" thing. I fully support it. Like when I first was playing the game I really thought something was broken and it would be fixed how safe you are everywhere. It wasn't until hunts that there was even something that was unmarked in the world that you couldn't autoattack to death at cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom