• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Bringing danger back to the open world isn't really a "I want the game to be FF11" thing. It's a "I want things in the gameworld to actually have meaning" thing. I fully support it. Like when I first was playing the game I really thought something was broken and it would be fixed how safe you are everywhere. It wasn't until hunts that there was even something that was unmarked in the world that you couldn't autoattack to death at cap.

Gonna agree. Before hunts there really wasn't anything in the Overworld that was any sort of a threat. Hardly anything even dropped stuff that was useful either, so mobs were pretty much only there to harass gatherers and to act as a threat to people leveling up.

That isn't to say that I want mobs to be an huge threat to players at level 60, but they shouldn't be something you can just ignore or steamroll through either. I want a reason to sneak around mobs and the like.

suzu

I remember sneaking around in FF11. While it would lead to laughs sometimes (wooo training Guivre through the whole zone), it was mostly annoying. D:

Ninja should have an easier time getting through dense areas with Hide.

Unless the area you're going to is so dense with mobs that you'll get slaughtered as soon as you come out of it.

WolvenOne

I remember sneaking around in FF11. While it would lead to laughs sometimes (wooo training Guivre through the whole zone), it was mostly annoying. D:

Well, thing is in Heavensward, you'll be able to get to any of the major landmarks without encountering mobs via flying. So if it's just a function of needing to get somewhere, that shouldn't be an issue. As such I don't see a problem with making it so you need to kill high level mobs if you don't want to eventually be killed by them, during those instances where you need to get to someplace that isn't a major landmark.

Granted, making them tough beyond a certain point WOULD just be annoying.

BadRNG

Hardly anything even dropped stuff that was useful either, so mobs were pretty much only there to harass gatherers and to act as a threat to people leveling up.
Do you think this will change though, even if mobs are "more dangerous"? Even dungeon mobs don't drop anything and are there as a time waster.

Well, thing is in Heavensward, you'll be able to get to any of the major landmarks without encountering mobs via flying. So if it's just a function of needing to get somewhere, that shouldn't be an issue. As such I don't see a problem with making it so you need to kill high level mobs if you don't want to eventually be killed by them, during those instances where you need to get to someplace that isn't a major landmark.

Granted, making them tough beyond a certain point WOULD just be annoying.

You still have to reach the Aetheric current points in order to unlock flying for that zone (don't know if each one unlocks flying for a portion of a zone or if you need every one in the zone to fly).

Omnicent

Party disbands in Yhoator Jungle and you went to the deeper camp. You have no map or sneak/invis pots. Gobs everywhere. How do I get back to Kazham!? I'm only level 30!

That was fun and scary at the same time, but mostly due to xp loss on death.
Don't think HW is going to be as brutal. Fuck a single Easyven Match gob at 30 would kick my ass, unlike what has been said about HW

WolvenOne

Do you think this will change though, even if mobs are "more dangerous"? Even dungeon mobs don't drop anything and are there as a time waster.

Dungeun mobs give you some Gil at least. Granted I'm not expecting that either, but it'd be nice if there were some slightly tougher overworld mobs that dropped items that were useful for crafting consumables.

Mostly though, it'd be for the sake of making the world feel a bit larger and more alive. The current overworld feels a LOT bigger at lower levels, merely because getting from point A to point B actually involves an element of danger. Granted that'd probably be too much danger for people at end-game, but still.

You still have to reach the Aetheric current points in order to unlock flying for that zone (don't know if each one unlocks flying for a portion of a zone or if you need every one in the zone to fly).

Yeah, but chances are every new zone is going to be attuned while players are leveling up and going through the story. I'm more talking about overworld mobs for level 60 players.

To be clear, I don't want mobs that're like level 55 or whatnot to pose a danger to level 60 players. That'd make these mobs absurdly dangerous for people leveling. I'm talking more akin to, "oh that group of mobs is level sixty, I probably shouldn't pull all ten at once."

Ferr986

Party disbands in Yhoator Jungle and you went to the deeper camp. You have no map or sneak/invis pots. Gobs everywhere. How do I get back to Kazham!? I'm only level 30!

Don't think HW is going to be as brutal. Fuck a single Easyven Match gob at 30 would kick my ass, unlike what has been said about HW

I still remember my first travel to Jeuno. Shit was some Metal Gear experience.

Anyways, a couple of in-game friends are persuating me to come back for HW. Won't deny I'm interested (especially because I want to finish my NIN that keep leveling up in the free weekends), I'm just worried about gearing up for it. I don't even want to go close to Coil ever again.

Well at the same time being able to pull 10 is pretty nice when you want to do quests quickly and stuff. On my SCH while leveling(and at cap for some of the quests), I'd compensate for the dot and slower killing speed compared to DPS by pulling 4-5mobs together then using Bane to kill all of them at once(well bane and dot on whatever wasn't baned).

Also on that note, I feel like SCH is still gonna be zzz who cares with adds. I mean they can't really balance damage in such a way that it's threatening to a SCH and not completely stupid to everyone else. Probably will still level aoeing 3-4mobs at the same time without too much of an issue I'd say.

Yeah, but chances are every new zone is going to be attuned while players are leveling up and going through the story. I'm more talking about overworld mobs for level 60 players.

To be clear, I don't want mobs that're like level 55 or whatnot to pose a danger to level 60 players. That'd make these mobs absurdly dangerous for people leveling. I'm talking more akin to, "oh that group of mobs is level sixty, I probably shouldn't pull all ten at once."

I think Yoshida said something about 2 or 3 mobs at once still being a danger to a level 60 in i170 armor.

Don't think he mentioned what level those mobs would be though. Presumably 60. Considering how high HP jumps once you get to 60 + better gear I can't see earlier level mobs giving much trouble if at all.

suzu

I used to get lost even with a map. lol

I don't mind a bit of difficulty, but pls.. nothing like FF11 again. (Not that I believe they would go back to that anyway.)

WolvenOne

I think Yoshida said something about 2 or 3 mobs at once still being a danger to a level 60 in i170 armor.

Don't think he mentioned what level those mobs would be though. Presumably 60. Considering how high HP jumps once you get to 60 + better gear I can't see earlier level mobs giving much trouble if at all.

170 is the darklight equivalent isn't it? I mean, if so that sounds about right. If that's accurate it'll be awhile before a player can solo a huge mob without any real danger.

Valor

Yep! So maybe it really will be pretty grueling on the ground since you only need to deal with that garbage "once".

Dungeun mobs give you some Gil at least. Granted I'm not expecting that either, but it'd be nice if there were some slightly tougher overworld mobs that dropped items that were useful for crafting consumables.
I mean, there are several mobs that dropped really good stuff that people bought a lot of back in the day. Then patches hit and no new areas/mobs to farm with them so the items went other places. People used to farm for fleece, skins, and all sorts of other odds and ends to craft things because they actually had a decent value to them during 2.0. This doesn't have to be the case in Heavensward necessarily because of the larger areas allowing them to add more stuff in and move things around with subsequent patches.

Heavensward upgrade has been fixed on PSN for those who did the PS3 to PS4 update last year.
Time to go see if it actually works or not.

Edit: It works \o/

WolvenOne

Yep! So maybe it really will be pretty grueling on the ground since you only need to deal with that garbage "once".

I mean, there are several mobs that dropped really good stuff that people bought a lot of back in the day. Then patches hit and no new areas/mobs to farm with them so the items went other places. People used to farm for fleece, skins, and all sorts of other odds and ends to craft things because they actually had a decent value to them during 2.0. This doesn't have to be the case in Heavensward necessarily because of the larger areas allowing them to add more stuff in and move things around with subsequent patches.

I'm aware of that, but like you said, they didn't have any room to really add anything new. So eventually nothing on the overworld was really worth farming up. Also anything that might have initially been dangerous at level 50 was joke status by the time you reached ilvl90 (before that really.)

Hopefully the larger overworlds will make it easier for them to add additional stuff from time to time.

Edit: Also to go back to something I said earlier. Hopefully they'll consider actually adding zones between expansions this time. Would love to see new level 60 zones for Thanalan, Limsa, The Black Shroud, and Mor Dhona even if they ended up being considerably smaller than the new Ishgard areas. Might be pie in the sky, but I can dream!

Dunan

Anyone know if, if you buy the digital pre-order, the pre-order bonuses are locked to your account or if the code can be used separately (or if the items will be tradable in-game)? I have little use for that Cecil gear and would be happy to give or trade it to someone.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone know if, if you buy the digital pre-order, the pre-order bonuses are locked to your account or if the code can be used separately (or if the items will be tradable in-game)? I have little use for that Cecil gear and would be happy to give or trade it to someone.
Pretty sure it's tied to your account and I believe it's all one package (early access, minion, and cecil stuff) so if you give out the code you also lose out on the early access.

MogCakes

The pure white augmented MNK robe is being run into the ground. I've seen the exact same setup with the robe and the demon gauntlets/pants a good 10+ times on different people in rev toll and several times in DF from across servers.

CLBridges

Glad they fixed that PSN bug pretty quick, preorderd standard HW edition and like the theme that goes with it and the music. Need to renew my sub this week and maybe get around to clearing T9 and then FCOB before early access...probably not though lol.

DarkKyo

Looks like I'm one of the winners of the Au Ra Twitter contest, I got a Scarf of Wondrous Wit in my in-game mailbox today.. very cool! Anyone else get one??

WolvenOne

Yeah but why?

Because in most progression groups there is almost always at least one person to overreact to mistakes. This creates a degree of social tension that ruins the fun of the raid for most people. This is of course on top of the rather hefty time investment.

In short, because jackholes.

BadRNG

Yeah but why?
Time commitment/effort involved is often big factor, then there is things like finding a group and the issues that go with that.

But also well, just personal taste, some people don't enjoy raid style fights.

Because in most progression groups there is almost always at least one person to overreact to mistakes. This creates a degree of social tension that ruins the fun of the raid for most people. This is of course on top of the rather hefty time investment.

If a single guy is ruining it for the group then just kick them. Or get a new group.

dcye

I'm not talking about progression, I'm talking about times like right now. Why wouldn't you want to do first and second coil (at the least) at this point in time? I get progression isn't for everyone but that's not what I was talking about.

WolvenOne

I'm not talking about progression, I'm talking about times like right now. Why wouldn't you want to do first and second coil (at the least) at this point in time? I get progression isn't for everyone but that's not what I was talking about.

Now?

Maybe they've built it up in thier head, or they don't think thier usual support group is capable of helping them through it. Maybe they don't care about the story content, and figure it's too late to care about the gear.

Lots of different strokes out there.

IvorB

The proc-effect is tied to the spell itself and not the player and buffs on the player don't interact with DoTs after-the-fact. So unless they change the whole snapshotting process, Sharpcast on the player does nothing to an existing Thunder spell.

I honestly can't think of an opportunity for this. +100 potency for Sharpcast when you could've just waited (or pre-empted the movement) and gotten nearly double the outcome.

Hmmm... guess we will have to see how it pans out. :)

Teknoman

True, but sometimes you have to power through it and you end up being successful. Since i'm usually a tank, I feel like the entire fight rests on my shoulders (which it usually does aside from dps checks), get a person to overract and thats a bad scenario period.

Actually had that problem with EX primals for awhile...but after the other night, my faith has been restored. Really does have everything to do with the personality of the people you're playing with. Of course you have to be familiar with your job, but that aside, its mostly party personality.

As for coil, i'm in it for story and content reasons. I want to see everything the game has to offer story, minigame, and battle content wise.

dcye

Eh whatever I guess. I don't understand the mentality, especially when people are afraid or intimidated by it. Its a video game lads, real life gets much scarier.

HooYaH

Is the game going to be patched/preloaded before Heavensward is out or is there just going to be one big patch out on the 19?

Aselith

Expansion hype sure does bring the crowd

tumblr_n3vuosO9aF1scihlto1_250.gif

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom