• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Depends, generally the disc is filled with a bunch of assets, then they patch some stuff in on release day. In some cases they don't even patch(for example wow expansion launches tend to just be unlock access to new content live in real time, you already have the expansion installed way before). So the disk would save you some downloading most of the time, most of it at least.

Yeah but the assets won't be needed for the early access right? considering the game ships on the 23th.

There's also tonnes of new coil content, of which most is very easy nowadays.

Coil is still end-game right? still requires hours and hours of practice and set parties. I just can't deal with that anymore after losing years at FFXI endgame.

Atleast the first Crystal Tower didn't require that, it was easy to enter, complete a run easily whenever you want and be out. I suppose the other two tiers are also easy.

Still wondering what they have planned for controller users. Crossing my fingers for combo buttons.

I refuse to believe Witcher ends. Every time I get rid of a question mark another spawns in its place, with another tale of a beaten/jealous/murdered/turned into a demon woman to be murdered/avenged/rescued. I will be slowly working my way through The Witcher long after the FFXIV servers have been sold for scrap parts.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Caaaaaaaaaaaarbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Not playing until they release a patch to fix the EXP glitch.

Did a bunch of main quests yesterday and got less than 100 XP. Think it was more like 75 when the glitch didn't occur one time.

iammeiam

I so ridiculously out level most of the quests I have that The EXP glitch isn't worrying me.
Coil is still end-game right? still requires hours and hours of practice and set parties. I just can't deal with that anymore after losing years at FFXI endgame.

Atleast the first Crystal Tower didn't require that, it was easy to enter, complete a run whenever you want easily and be out. I suppose the other two tiers are also easy.

We're like 8 months in to Final Coil now. Everyone's geared to the teeth and everyone gets a flat 15% boost to HP/damage/healing. It's still end game in that it's the last content in the game until expansion, but it's not really the struggle it was last year. First and Second coil at this point are definitely not end game.

1-4 and 6-7 are easy as hell to DF with randoms. 8 requires minimal group coordination. 5 and 9 are probably not DF friendly but can be done relatively quickly if you know people who have done them.

10-13 are still the newest and the closest to difficult, but if you know people who can do them you can probably learn most of it within a lockout or two per turn? Probably less if the rest of the group really knows it. If you don't know people you're at the mercy of DF--which I've heard semi decent success stories of 10-12, but I wouldn't trust with 13.

Essentially at this point all of coil is just a shadow of its formal self; it's actually a really good time to get in and do it without a massive time commitment.

creid

Still wondering what they have planned for controller users. Crossing my fingers for combo buttons.
I never thought about that, but it would be a good solution (for DRG at least.) I have 2 3-hit combos that include 4 moves that I will never do unless I'm doing a combo. They could be taking up 2 spots on the cross hot bar, instead of 6.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The hardest part of Coil 1 through 8 is actually finding a party willing to even go in.
One day I will realize my High Allagan dream.

creid

I thought I might take a day off near HW launch so I have a little extra time to play, but I'm afraid whatever day I pick will be "surprise 24 hour maintenance day". 1st day of early access will be a shitshow, the Monday after I assume will be a big day for hotfixes, the Tuesday after is official launch day and therefore also a shitshow, and who the hell wants to take a day off on a Wednesday?

That's the problem with scheduling days off for a MMO/expansion release.

There will probably be emergency maintenance, but you can't really predict when it will happen.

First day is a good bet, but we don't know what kind of bugs will pop up afterwards which will require them to take down the servers to fix things quickly.

Yeah but the assets won't be needed for the early access right? considering the game ships on the 23th.

Atleast the first Crystal Tower didn't require that, it was easy to enter, complete a run easily whenever you want and be out. I suppose the other two tiers are also easy.

The assets will be needed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to go anywhere in the heavensward zones because no assets to render. You will download most/all of heavensward assets on the 19th(or earlier if they do some preloading) regardless of wether or not you have early access. The disk would save you a decent amount of downloading, probably.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The assets will be needed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to go anywhere in the heavensward zones because no assets to render. You will download most/all of heavensward assets on the 19th(or earlier if they do some preloading) regardless of wether or not you have early access. The disk would save you a decent amount of downloading, probably.
There's a 1.7GB download after entering the early access code on the PS Store, so I guess that's a chunk of the new assets.

There's a 1.7GB download after entering the early access code on the PS Store, so I guess that's a chunk of the new assets.

Yeah not sure that's all of it though. I guess it depends on wether or not they split the clients, with one client being the non heavensward client and the other being the heavensward client. The differences would be all the assets for the zones and cutscenes and what not. You'd still need armor/races/classes/mounts/minions and other minor stuff like that in the non heavensward client though, which the 1.7gb might be.

Regardless, you'll have to dl the full client once early access starts if you have early access, since otherwise you wouldn't be to go to Ishgard. If you don't have early access, you might not need to download everything, just the stuff I mentionned that's shared, though that's assuming they split clients, they might just not bother and have everyone get the same client.

Disk should contain most assets, but will probably need a fairly large patch on top since it was most likely printed a few versions earlier than the version they're launching with.

koji kabuto

Just choose a class you like and go for it.

But here's my story. I my case I leveled White Mage to 50 first. Then I decided to level Scholar to 50 so that I had both healers classes and would always be useful in that regard. Already have Scholar in your party? That's fine I have a White Mage as well.

Then I max Paladin because well tank class seemed interesting and this was back in early days when Warriors were looked down upon compared to Paladins. Lastly I leveled a Bard to max so that I'd have a DPS class at the ready as well. Technically I have a max Summoner as well because of the way the Arcanist/Scholar/Summoner line works, but I hardly use it because stats are distributed towards Mind/Healing rather than INT/Damage though not like anybody I party will actually knows this because my Summoner is ilvl 100.

I think i'm in the same boat as you since i'm going to try a lot of jobs and see what I like the most, I got pld50 war50 and now going for nin

Thanks a lot this is really helpful

So I fucked up late last night. I was trying to replacing my PS4 HDD and everything went smoothly. Except for one thing: I forgot to backup my saved data on the USB drive and just did it for the new HDD. Client is up but I need to know if there is anyway I can get my character back

So I fucked up late last night. I was trying to replacing my PS4 HDD and everything went smoothly. Except for one thing: I forgot to backup my saved data on the USB drive and just did it for the new HDD. Client is up but I need to know if there is anyway I can't get my character back

the character is on the server. all you lost are your custom key binds and settings

SkyOdin

Isn't it part of FFXIV lore that Lalafell actually are a food source to the local flora and fauna? I swear I've read that somewhere.

The levequest you have to do to unlock leves in Horizon specifies that the Pieste you hunt was snacking on Lalafells, if I recall correctly. There are a few other references to monsters that could eat Lalafell children whole too.

Ferr986

I so ridiculously out level most of the quests I have that The EXP glitch isn't worrying me.

We're like 8 months in to Final Coil now. Everyone's geared to the teeth and everyone gets a flat 15% boost to HP/damage/healing. It's still end game in that it's the last content in the game until expansion, but it's not really the struggle it was last year. First and Second coil at this point are definitely not end game.

1-4 and 6-7 are easy as hell to DF with randoms. 8 requires minimal group coordination. 5 and 9 are probably not DF friendly but can be done relatively quickly if you know people who have done them.

10-13 are still the newest and the closest to difficult, but if you know people who can do them you can probably learn most of it within a lockout or two per turn? Probably less if the rest of the group really knows it. If you don't know people you're at the mercy of DF--which I've heard semi decent success stories of 10-12, but I wouldn't trust with 13.

Essentially at this point all of coil is just a shadow of its formal self; it's actually a really good time to get in and do it without a massive time commitment.

Thanks for the heads up. I may jump onto it, although tbh I was looking the WOD gear and that looks sexy as fuck.

Feels like I have a lot of work to do, I left with a ilvl90 DRG but I would like to enter Ishgard with a NIN (left it around 30 I think).

The levequest you have to do to unlock leves in Horizon specifies that the Pieste you hunt was snacking on Lalafells, if I recall correctly. There are a few other references to monsters that could eat Lalafell children whole too.
Ahh found something related.

QtImFYa.png
My people are not tasty snacks!

WolvenOne

Hmm, I really need to make certain I have the Myth Armor helmet. This set looks really good overall, except for the blasted goofy hat. XD

Edit: Anybody else planning on mixing and matching parts of AF1 and AF2?

WolvenOne

Anyone have any Glamour goals before Heavensward hits? Pieces of armor you want to farm up from old dungeons, raids, content that'll be really hard to do after the expansion?

Honestly, I have too many I think. I'd like to farm up the First Coil Tank set, (Why did I trade this in!?!) I'd still like to farm up the Allagan Heavycoat from T9, but that probably won't be practical. The Varlet Set, the Divine Tank set, and a couple bits and pieces here and there to finish off some various other sets.

.....I guess I better start hitting DF's and PF's. <_<;;

iammeiam

Farming existing content should be a lot easier in expansion, thanks to no level sync/no iLevel sync on ARR content. Yoshida specifically mentions that tackling Coil after 60 shouldn't be a big deal/more appealing to people scared if it. Farms will be possible with much smaller groups at 60, especially for First and Second coil stuff.

So much science you guys. So much.

My current question: If the three new jobs have no base classes, what happens if you unequip their job stones? 1/0 game explodes?

probably the game just won't let you but I want to believe something weird happens.

Farming existing content should be a lot easier in expansion, thanks to no level sync/no iLevel sync on ARR content. Yoshida specifically mentions that tackling Coil after 60 shouldn't be a big deal/more appealing to people scared if it. Farms will be possible with much smaller groups at 60, especially for First and Second coil stuff.

My current question: If the three new jobs have no base classes, what happens if you unequip their job stones? 1/0 game explodes?

probably the game just won't let you but I want to believe something weird happens.

probably wont let you like how you cant unequip weapons

Heavensword hype got to me, I just reupped by sub and the launcher's DLing the game now. Couple quick questions, I haven't played since the launch of ARR:

Have enough quests been added to max level more than 2 classes without resorting to FATE farming?

Do DPS classes still have super long wait times for instances (40+ minutes for 4-man dungeons)?

I prefer typing to voice chatting, is a mic/headset mandatory for the GAF free company?

WolvenOne

Well, even if DPS doubles, last phase of T9 will still destroy people if they either cannot do the elemental dance properly, or aren't getting divebombs marked, (or whatever.)

The rest I concede should be relatively easy to farm up after expansion. Though most players will want to spend their time in other ways.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'd still like to farm up the Allagan Heavycoat from T9, but that probably won't be practical.

Do eet. It's mad stylish.

Just let me 4-man SCOB Yoshida, please.
Last phase of T9 will actually be easier because with 4 people every fire is in and there's less chance that some new DPS is gonna put thunder over everybody.

Try unequipping SCH's job stone with a SCH-only weapon.

WolvenOne

Do eet. It's mad stylish.

Trust me, I want it. There are two problems however.

The first is that I never got really great at T9. I've cleared it eight times I think, but these times were always isolated instances where I was helping X or Y person getting a clear. I never really farmed the Turn, and I always seem to be going back into it with a degree of rust. Second issue is that about half my static is mostly AFK until expansion. So I can't really call upon them for help either.

scy

Well, even if DPS doubles, last phase of T9 will still destroy people if they either cannot do the elemental dance properly, or aren't getting divebombs marked, (or whatever.).

If the DPS doubles, you can possibly finish T9 before the first set of Divebombs.

Also worth noting that you'd have enough HP to outright survive double fire / double ice as a tank.

Farms will be possible with much smaller groups at 60, especially for First and Second coil stuff.

inb4 solo SCH T5 videos

BadRNG

Heavensword hype got to me, I just reupped by sub and the launcher's DLing the game now. Couple quick questions, I haven't played since the launch of ARR:

Have enough quests been added to max level more than 2 classes without resorting to FATE farming?

Do DPS classes still have super long wait times for instances (40+ minutes for 4-man dungeons)?

I prefer typing to voice chatting, is a mic/headset mandatory for the GAF free company?
- No. They boosted leve/dungeon exp a bit, along with adding roulettes that reward nice chunk of bonus exp, but there's no way to quest your way to 50 a second time. Closest thing are the beastmen daily quests you unlock in the 40s, but that is only 6 quests a day.

- Some dungeons yeah, it really depends on which tier of dungeons. At cap for newest stuff it's fast. Leveling dungeons can be in 15-20m range or more.

- Not at all, majority of FC doesn't even go onto mumble. If you intend to raid at endgame you will likely need to be able to listen but mic is never required.
also everyone on mumble are jerks

WolvenOne

If the DPS doubles, you can possibly finish T9 before the first set of Divebombs.

Also worth noting that you'd have enough HP to outright survive double fire / double ice as a tank.

Really? Last few cleared I've been in it felt like there were two, maybe three sets of Divebombs before the clear. Double the DPS would be amazing but I didn't think it'd be so amazing that it'd render the Divebomb mechanic obsolete.

Also, I really ought to learn how to tank that fight sometime. Cleared it on DRG every time so far.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Really? Last few cleared I've been in it felt like there were two, maybe three sets of Divebombs before the clear. Double the DPS would be amazing but I didn't think it'd be so amazing that it'd render the Divebomb mechanic obsolete.

Also, I really ought to learn how to tank that fight sometime.
Cleared it on DRG every time so far.

What's there to learn? IB every beak (Vengeance can cover both beak and ascent), Vengeance when picking up the dragon, then rotate for quintuple claws. It's actually pretty easy because you don't get targeted by most mechanics so you can 123 while barking at healers that they haven't virused the boss in time again.

- No. They boosted leve/dungeon exp a bit, along with adding roulettes that reward nice chunk of bonus exp, but there's no way to quest your way to 50 a second time. Closest thing are the beastmen daily quests you unlock in the 40s, but that is only 6 quests a day.

- Some dungeons yeah, it really depends on which tier of dungeons. At cap for newest stuff it's fast. Leveling dungeons can be in 15-20m range or more.

- Not at all, majority of FC doesn't even go onto mumble. If you intend to raid at endgame you will likely need to be able to listen but mic is never required.
also everyone on mumble are jerks

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to start playing again :D

WolvenOne

What's there to learn? IB every beak (Vengeance can cover both beak and ascent), Vengeance when picking up the dragon, then rotate for quintuple claws. It's actually pretty easy because you don't get targeted by most mechanics so you can 123 while barking at healers that they haven't virused the boss in time again.

Eh, didn't seem too difficult last time I tried. Though I don't actually have Claw timings down yet. Very limited experience with taking on that mechanic. Mostly I've let people capable of marking Tank. I never really figured out a good way of doing that on a controller mid fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Eh, didn't seem too difficult last time I tried. Though I don't actually have Claw timings down yet. Very limited experience with taking on that mechanic. Mostly I've let people capable of marking Tank. I never really figured out a good way of doing that on a controller mid fight.

Oh.

But why did you post that picture if it's mad stylish?

Mom says I'm stylish. Good for me.

iammeiam

inb4 solo SCH T5 videos

I'd actually wondered about that--could a SCH at double DPS realistically push fast enough to get out of Twister phase before the first Dreadknight?

I also think they'd be stuck doing T2 enrage because how do you rot pass with yourself? Titan EX would only be doable if you could push before gaols every phase. Mechanics ruining all the solo potential.

...I wonder if supergolem in T9 will be killable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom