• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sioen

Just finished off all the story content before Heavensward.

Man, those were a LOT of cutscenes there and also some really cool ones at that.
Looking forward to see where the story goes now.
I'm at the fight in the crystal, do I have much to go?

Klyka

Banned
I'm at the fight in the crystal, do I have much to go?

The crysalis?
Content wise you have a couple of "run around" missions and one more duty, the "steps of faith" which I found pretty fun.
Apart from that, you have cutscenes so long ahead of you,the game actually WARNS YOU to set enough time aside for them XD
Without skipping the dialogue,I'd say it was about 1hour or more of cutscenes.

The crysalis?
Content wise you have a couple of "run around" missions and one more duty, the "steps of faith" which I found pretty fun.
Apart from that, you have cutscenes so long ahead of you,the game actually WARNS YOU to set enough time aside for them XD

"It is recommended that you set aside sufficient time to view these cutscenes in their entirety."

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hi, folks. Thanks much for helping me solve my login issue the other day! I have a new question:

My character is on Japanese servers. This goes back to the original FFXI beta. However, I'd like to transfer to an American server to play with US friends. Is this even possible? Does anybody know?

Thank you in advance...!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hi, folks. Thanks much for helping me solve my login issue the other day! I have a new question:

My character is on Japanese servers. This goes back to the original FFXI beta. However, I'd like to transfer to an American server to play with US friends. Is this even possible? Does anybody know?

Thank you in advance...!
There is a $10+ server transfer service availabke, you can do it through mog station.

Zalasta

It's almost as if I didn't mention it not being like FF11. I would rather it be some sort of middle ground. They went in completely the opposite direction of 11 and didn't just make the world solo "friendly", but instead auto attack solo only. Having a little spice in the world so that you actually have to watch where you are going or pay attention to a mob's pathing isn't a bad thing for me. The world as is is completely boring.

Well, I don't think this is the first time you complained about the game being boring without addressing all the mechanics that will need to be adjusted to achieve what you're proposing. You haven't even answered the most fundamental question, how can you instill a sense of danger when there is no consequence to death. If all I am being penalized is time for dying in a zone filled with mobs that can one shot me, that's not danger to me, that's frustration, and I would have to say no thanks, I have better things to do with my time. But if that's all you want to spice up your game, then why don't you explore high level zones on a level 1 job, and be sure to remove the mount button from your hotbar as well because being limited to walking should certainly make it more exciting for you.

Sioen

The crysalis?
Getting my popcorn ready.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I don't think this is the first time you complained about the game being boring without addressing all the mechanics that will need to be adjusted to achieve what you're proposing. You haven't even answered the most fundamental question, how can you instill a sense of danger when there is no consequence to death. If all I am being penalized is time for dying in a zone filled with mobs that can one shot me, that's not danger to me, that's frustration, and I would have to say no thanks, I have better things to do with my time. But if that's all you want to spice up your game, then why don't you explore high level zones on a level 1 job, and be sure to remove the mount button from your hotbar as well because being limited to walking should certainly make it more exciting for you.

I feel like a game can provide danger without being masochistic? I mean, several games are hard as hell without any permanent loss on dying other than a loss of time. They still feel 'dangerous'. They don't have to and shouldn't one shot you, and nothing like FFXI would ever be put into FFXIV thank christ, but some vague approximation of a challenge in the overworld and some panic wouldn't be terrible while levelling and makes you feel better when you actually do win a close battle against three dudes or whatever.

And then when you hit 60 and find the wind crystals or whatever you can just fly over their heads while shouting 'SEE YA SHITLORDS' as Midgardsormr intended.

Valor

And then when you hit 60 and find the wind crystals or whatever you can just fly over their heads while shouting 'SEE YA SHITLORDS' as Midgardsormr intended.

Pretty much this.

I mean, I'm sure a couple of you at least remember The Struggle™ of going through a couple of the lowbie dungeons for the first time, or when EX primals hit and how roadblocky they were to the game and prompted a challenge and hurdle for people to get over. Titan HM is probably one that will resonate with a lot of people. It was challenging then and some said unfairly difficult. It just made the triumph and the "never again" all the more appealing once it was finished. Now you can go in a stomp his face and get that vindication for all of the wipes and stuff Titan's many incarnations have caused.

So basically, while death had a consequence in 11 which contributed to the dangerous feel of the overworld, I don't think you need to weigh risk versus reward in such a way for it to feel dangerous.

TL;DR I believe in difficult challenges that are temporary even if the only positive it brings is only that first feeling of "SEE YA SHITLORDS" as you transcend past them. A feeling of accomplishment/reflection/etc gives a sense of progression in a tangible sense which I don't think should be underestimated.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty hard to come up with MMO penalties that aren't just a loss of time, thinking about it- XP loss means more grinding, equipment loss means time grinding materials to replace it. Is there a roguelike/Diablo hardcore mmo? And how awful is its cash shop?! The important questions.

You are right, it isn't the first time I've complained about it, since the gameworld has always been subpar in this game.

You are still thinking in the absolutes, instead of aiming for some middle ground. Having danger doesn't need to mean that everything can one shot you. How about having things that you can't just auto walk through and not die before they leash? Have the bigger stronger looking mobs take at least a portion of effort for a caped person to beat when farming them/passing though instead of them just being scene dressing. Imagine the bull and turtle type of dragons sprinkled through the dragon encampments in Coerthas instead of there just being the same single type, or how about the big Garlean mechs that are around the empire troops to actually be harder then the human troops at cap. Just something that adds some variety, not only in appearance, but difficulty.

I don't know why you are so antagonistic to the idea. I'm not calling for the game to turn into FF11 (in fact my first post on this subject recently was making the claim that wanting more danger added to the world doesn't mean going back to how FF11 was), just for there to be a bit more to the world then it being the area you begrudgingly run through to get to the "real" parts of the game. We all have better things to do then play video games, yet here we are. I didn't address your "fundamental" question because I didn't see it as so. Time is already the consequence to death, as it was in various degrees in nearly all mmorpgs that I've played. Who is talking about being one shot? Would you mind expanding on your PoV there, since it seems to me like you are implying that if there was even more of a penalty to that situation that it suddenly wouldn't be frustrating to you? I don't really get that.

And for the record, I did do that at an early level. I explored nearly the entire world on foot and was left wanting.

It's pretty hard to come up with MMO penalties that aren't just a loss of time, thinking about it- XP loss means more grinding, equipment loss means time grinding materials to replace it. Is there a roguelike/Diablo hardcore mmo? And how awful is its cash shop?! The important questions.

Yeah, I really don't get where they are going with that point.

dramatis

Let's hope Sony doesn't screw this up, right?
They did it with the original launch, where if you loaded the beta you didn't even need a code to get into ARR. I'm not particularly worried, although that might be because I haven't encountered any difficulties.

PS3 MASTER RACE

IvorB

I still believe they should rename the class to something else and give us a more classic SMN, cause even if it is called Summoner the current iteration revolves little around summoning mystical creatures/gods to rain down death. Maybe Heavensward will change that who knows. However, If you were a fan of summoning magic/lore in the FF franchise in my opinion this is the weakest entry yet in terms of summoning magic a player can use.

I wanted to give summoner a try but I can't really wrap my head around playing a summoner in an FF game and summoning this:

500px-Garuda-egi_front1.jpg

When I'm used to this. I know they are limited by it being an MMO but they could still give people something decent to summon.

TRI Mike

Did you just say that the Blue Mage doesn't work in the game that has the most broken incarnation of the Blue Mage class in the entire series?

To actually answer, a job that relies on leveling two other classes sounds kinda like a hassle. Plus, that's kind of what cross-class abilities are already.

BLU is broken in FFV¿ I really don't know, only finished the game once and I've seen a lot of players in streams and forums saying it's better to ignore it.

RIP in pieces.

I might try and organise PVP nights again after the HW sheen dies off, but I don't think we have nearly enough for premade frontlines even if we were all Maelstrom and no-one but Nin Py cares about Wolves' Den.

I don't think anything but Frontlines exist anymore. I've queued for everything in the last 2 weeks and have never gotten anything but 99% slaughter and 1% defend and hold or whatever it is. Flames does decent enough but I think Adders has the most wins I've seen.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
BLU is broken in FFV¿ I really don't know, only finished the game once and I've seen a lot of players in streams and forums saying it's better to ignore it.

I'm pretty sure Blue Mage in FFV only really loses out to Samurai and Chemist in how easy it is to break the game with them, but I'm no expert.

The crysalis?

Lol I completely underestimated how long those last cutscenes were gonna be, ended up going to bed way past bedtime last night

RIP in pieces.

I might try and organise PVP nights again after the HW sheen dies off, but I don't think we have nearly enough for premade frontlines even if we were all Maelstrom and no-one but Nin Py cares about Wolves' Den.

wolves den way quicker than frontlines when you got the premades. it may be more broken but I like it

RK9039

oh man I cant wait for the new titan hm struggle.

Yeah Titan HM was a bastard when I first got to it, and this was pre-Warrior buff so I got murdered by him many times. When they changed the way Warriors worked it felt so great to finally beat him.

Now it feels so easy to do that trial.

RIP in pieces.

I've been out of the loop for some time. Any PvP changes coming for 3.0?

If not, I may be down for some premade PvP.

creid

Thank you in advance...!

There is a $10+ server transfer service availabke, you can do it through mog station.
Or if you haven't played much of your original character, you should be able to create a new one on a different server for no charge. Obviously you'd have to start all over, but if you only played in the Beta it might not take long to catch up.

iammeiam

Early Access starts at 2 AM PDT on 6/19

I work on the 18th when am I supposed to sleep time to plan.

Digital Playstation customers will get to preload 2 days before early access. Windows/Steam users will get an automatic client update at... some point. Physical Playstation customers will get a new download whenever they get around to giving us our access codes.

Digital Playstation customers will get to preload 2 days before early access. Windows/Steam users will get an automatic client update at... some point. Physical Playstation customers will get a new download whenever they get around to giving us our access codes.

get those fake eyeglasses and sleep at work. problem solved

IvorB

Soooo... Team UK, what's the game plan? If I just order this thing on Amazon am I gonna be okay for early access and discless play?

Stuart444

Ok so that's about 10am BST.

So.... HW Digital CE will be up by then... right? haha.

Well Alice will be away until about 2pm BST so hopefully by then at least. (maybe the servers will even be stable hahaha
not
)

Also no preload for Euro people. yay
What a joke

IMBored

EU digital playstation customers will get to download one day after the early acess begins.

iammeiam

...so 4 AM for me? Somehow need to make that when I wake up instead of when I go to sleep, huh...

Will never happen. Just buy a lot of coffee you'll be fine.

EU digital playstation customers will get to download one day after the early acess begins.

I went and checked the EU site hoping there'd be some reason to be optimistic and you guys do apparently get, like, super screwed.

NA:
PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 (PSN download version)
After pre-ordering from PlayStation Store, you will be prompted to enable automatic downloads to have the game pre-loaded on your console starting June 17, 2015. The Heavensward software will be available for pre-load two days before Early Access begins and will automatically download to your PS3/PS4 if automatic downloads are enabled. (Click here to learn how to enable pre-loading on PS3/PS4.)

EU:
PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 download version (FINAL FANTASY® XIV: Heavensward™ - Early Purchase)
After purchasing from PlayStation®Store, you will be prompted to download the early access entitlement needed for early access, along with the Standard/Collector's digital entitlement. The Heavensward software will automatically download to your PS3/PS4 if automatic downloads are enabled. (Click here to learn how to enable pre-loading on PS3/PS4.)

They're not even pretending you guys will have it when servers go up.

Stuart444

'They're not even pretending you guys will have it when servers go up.

I'm still hoping it will be like some midnight releases that happen on non-update days aka it goes up at 12/1am GMT/BST.

But the negative side of me is saying we'll be lucky if it goes up by 10am BST. (aka when the servers go up)

The way this has been handled is terrible. :/ I'm not even sure who to blame. SE EU? Sony EU? Both?

I can at least blame SE EU for not even communicating this to us until now.

creid

...so 4 AM for me? Somehow need to make that when I wake up instead of when I go to sleep, huh...
Just click "log in" at 4am and go to sleep, you'll actually get into the server right about the time you'll be waking up ;P

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just click "log in" at 4am and go to sleep, you'll actually get into the server right about the time you'll be waking up ;P
It's not the true MMO experience unless you sit there the entire time trying to login.

Soooo... Team UK, what's the game plan? If I just order this thing on Amazon am I gonna be okay for early access and discless play?

Team UK reporting in. I preordered a disc on the SE store ages ago and they sent me codes like three times. I plugged the most recent code into the PS Store after they fixed the launcher bug a couple of weeks ago and the add-on downloaded. I assume this means that everything is good to go until they mess something else up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess for Amazon they'll probably send you an early access code ahead of time and once you get your box you'll probably have your proper code inside.

Kinda wish they were a bit more precise when they said there will be a maintenance before early access. Like, a 3-4hours maintenance? A 12hours maintenance? 24hours? Depending on how long it is, you can estimate how likely it is to actually be up(if it's short it's less likely). Guess they'll say later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom