• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'd actually wondered about that--could a SCH at double DPS realistically push fast enough to get out of Twister phase before the first Dreadknight?

I also think they'd be stuck doing T2 enrage because how do you rot pass with yourself? Titan EX would only be doable if you could push before gaols every phase. Mechanics ruining all the solo potential.

...I won't.der if supergolem in T9 will be killable now.

I don't think solo clears outside of maybe WARs or SMNs restricted to T1-4 + maybe 6? are gonna be a thing in 3.0 because the jump in stats from what we've seen appears to be high but not high enough to offset seven other people not being there. Rot hits for 7k, Twintania's fireball hits for 14k I think? Thermionic is like 21k. Let's say your DPS triples with echo and you can reach 1000-1200 on scholar. Well that's enough to fight Twintania, but will you survive her shit is the question.

Supergolem will probably never be killable. That regen is crazy potent. It's effectively invulnerable.

BadRNG

Really? Last few cleared I've been in it felt like there were two, maybe three sets of Divebombs before the clear. Double the DPS would be amazing but I didn't think it'd be so amazing that it'd render the Divebomb mechanic obsolete.
I think you are underestimating just how drastic double DPS would be. Nael has 373,092.11 hp at phase change into final phase, at 6k dps (which wouldn't even be double some of the highest non-echo parses these days) she'd only survive about 62 seconds.

Beating her before first dive would be very much doable with double dps. At that level of dps the fight in general would go laughably fast.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think you are underestimating just how drastic double DPS would be. Nael has 373,092.11 hp at phase change into final phase, at 6k dps (which wouldn't even be double some of the highest non-echo parses these days) she'd only survive about 62 seconds.

Beating her before first dive would be very much doable with double dps. At that level of dps the fight in general would go laughably fast.

I'm currently debating the possibilities of a shriek coming out before the first Renaud.

BadRNG

I don't think solo clears outside of maybe WARs or SMNs restricted to T1-4 + maybe 6? are gonna be a thing in 3.0 because the jump in stats from what we've seen appears to be high but not high enough to offset seven other people not being there. Rot hits for 7k, Twintania's fireball hits for 14k I think? Thermionic is like 21k. Let's say your DPS triples with echo and you can reach 1000-1200 on scholar. Well that's enough to fight Twintania, but will you survive her shit is the question.
Does level change calculations on incoming damage though? I honestly can't remember.

Switching back to Summoner has made me realize (even at level 33) how disappointing it is that we're not getting a new Egi (or something similar) for Heavensward.

iammeiam

I'd assume the higher DEF/MDEF on i170+ gear would change incoming damage? The important part is they're finally making it feasible to at leas try out this stuff without needing to rope other people into queueing.

Switching back to Summoner has made me realize (even at level 33) how disappointing it is that we're not getting a new Egi (or something similar) for Heavensward.

You get to channel Bahamut, though. Fair trade! I've never really heard a description of what niche a fourth Egi which actually fill. Egi glamour seems like a smart path to go down?

So max'ed Bard and friends keep saying saying I need Invigorate and Blood for Blood from Lancer. Hate Lancer with a passion decide to start leveling Monk.

"Oh you need to get Invigorate and Blood for Blood from Lancer for that job too."

OO3bANM.png
But I hate Lancer/Dragoon so much. Reminds me of when I hate to level BLM to get Quickcast for my healers and leveling it to 34 says I might as well go all the way to 50 then.

Valor

So max'ed Bard and friends keep saying saying I need Invigorate and Blood for Blood from Lancer. Hate Lancer with a passion decide to start leveling Monk.

"Oh you need to get Invigorate and Blood for Blood from Lancer for that job too."

But I hate Lancer/Dragoon so much. Reminds me of when I hate to level BLM to get Quickcast for my healers and leveling it to 34 says I might as well go all the way to 50 then.

Well you don't need to level dragoon to get invigorate/blood for blood.

You'll just be terrible for the rest of your bard life and be singing paeon all the time and crying yourself to sleep.

Might as well cry yourself to sleep while leveling dragoon instead!

How could there be any danger if death has no penalty? This kind of sentiment is really silly when you put your complaint so simply, when this issue is anything but simple. The reason why FFXI environments were so dangerous is due to a combination of how the game mechanics were implemented. First of all mobs can rarely be soloed, even if you are 10 levels above, not to mention there is no way of getting rid of aggro unless you zone, otherwise they will follow you until one of you is dead. Travel options are severly limited and must be done on foot most of the time, and unless you're on the right jobs (or have the necessary items), you won't have access to teleport/warp. Then the ultimate death penalty. People are afraid of dying because they lose experience points

XIV changed all that when the game was made to be more accessible and solo friendly. Mobs reset, teleports available to everyone at any time, mounts, and death has no consequence. So how does it exactly give you meaning by simply populating the world with enemies that can kill you? You lose nothing by dying and all you are left with is a minor annoyance of having to get back to where you were. If that is your idea of danger, then I'd say no thank you and to leave the nostalgia in the past.

It's almost as if I didn't mention it not being like FF11. I would rather it be some sort of middle ground. They went in completely the opposite direction of 11 and didn't just make the world solo "friendly", but instead auto attack solo only. Having a little spice in the world so that you actually have to watch where you are going or pay attention to a mob's pathing isn't a bad thing for me. The world as is is completely boring.

You get to channel Bahamut, though. Fair trade! I've never really heard a description of what niche a fourth Egi which actually fill. Egi glamour seems like a smart path to go down?

Yeah, I know.

I'm still a little salty about the egi's in general, to be honest. I love pet classes and the FFXIV Summoner is the first casting class that's ever resonated with me in an MMO, so I'm a bit disappointed in general that they're just not as spectacular as I would have liked. Carby looks cool, the egis are kinda meh, and that we don't get an actual new summon for Heavensward kinda bums me out, is all.

I still love the class though. Looking forward to getting it to 50 before the expansion.

Ruruja

Why do you hate it? I started leveling Lancer today in fact and I'm enjoying it so far, though I am a PLD usually, so just the monsters dying quickly is enough to make me happy.

Yeah, I know.

I'm still a little salty about the egi's in general, to be honest. I love pet classes and the FFXIV Summoner is the first casting class that's ever resonated with me in an MMO, so I'm a bit disappointed in general that they're just not as spectacular as I would have liked. Carby looks cool, the egis are kinda meh, and that we don't get an actual new summon for Heavensward kinda bums me out, is all.

I still love the class though. Looking forward to getting it to 50 before the expansion.

It is kind of disappointing. I get the feeling they're steering clear of pet classes for 14. I'd love to see Beastmaster or Necromancer make comebacks from previous entries, but I just don't think they're motivated to do anymore pet jobs if SMN/SCH is anything to go by. The amount of interaction you have with the pet is lower than most other MMOs I've played.

Kenai

Yeah, I know.

You are not alone in your Egi disappointment. As much as i argue in favor of FF14's version of SMN vs FF11, i will also be the first to admit that FF11's pet's looked much, much cooler. Sure, they couldn't hold a candle in overall effectiveness to what we have here, but they were damn impressive, slightly smaller version of the real thing rather than whatever it is Egis are. Slightly fleshed out stick figures?

At the end of the day though, I will always vote for the more balanced version, even with the poo-pet trio. Trying to render super detailed pets was likely a large part of the reason for the oppressive avatar perpetuation thing FF11 summoners had to suffer though, which no one actually should want to see again. The lack of any real spot for a new pet with new abilities is also a valid concern. Customizable? pets or whatever they are doing will help a lot, though.

It is kind of disappointing. I get the feeling they're steering clear of pet classes for 14. I'd love to see Beastmaster or Necromancer make comebacks from previous entries, but I just don't think they're motivated to do anymore pet jobs if SMN/SCH is anything to go by. The amount of interaction you have with the pet is lower than most other MMOs I've played.

Necro has never really been a FF job and FF14's version of SMN is literally a reskinned Necro compared to other games (dots, very mild healing ability, battle res, ect).

We could definitely see Beastmaster someday, especially since their weapon of choice isn't being taken up by another class yet (1 handed axes). Could possibly be the only class to pull me away from SCH. They might have a similar problem to BLU in the dev team doesn't quite know how to implement it while paying homahe to the BSTs from older games, but who knows. I never thought I'd see a re-imagined Engineer or Astrologer job here either.

Why do you hate it? I started leveling Lancer today in fact and I'm enjoying it so far, though I am a PLD usually, so just the monsters dying quickly is enough to make me happy.

Lancer has never been a appealing class to me in the least. There's no real reason I'm just not interested in the class.

IvorB

I started playing bard and I came to the same junction. So I started levelling dragoon which I actually really like so I figure why not take it to fifty too. But for that now I need Mercy Stroke from warrior (level 26!!). So then I found myself actually playing a tank of all things. It's a rabbit hole...

Necro has never really been a FF job and FF14's version of SMN is literally a reskinned Necro compared to other games (dots, very mild healing ability, battle res, ect).

The Necromancer (ネクロマンサー, Nekuromansā?) is a Job in the Game Boy Advance and iOS versions of Final Fantasy V, found in the Sealed Temple after beating Enuo.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Necromancer_%28Final_Fantasy_V%29

It was actually a fun class to play and didn't play like the generic necros from other MMO's

If BST ever does appear I doubt it'll be what people wanted. I mean people complain all the time about the lack of interaction between the pet egis and the SMN. Most of that has fallen on deaf ears by the dev team. They seem to want a pet job on training wheels. The amount of interaction is so low that I sometimes wish they'd just up the potency on DoTs, fold the pet abilities into the SMN skill set, and just drop the Egi altogether.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

GHVebug.gif

So...guess I gotta get back going with lancer.

Anything outside of those 2 is a bonus. You can cross class bloodbath/mercy stroke/Fracture as well from MRD. I'm not sure if MNKs still use fracture in the main rotation though. Think its a dps loss due to low potency and TP cost. Those aren't as needed as the lancer stuff of which Blood for Blood is nearly mandatory and invigorate is absolutely mandatory for endgame events.

I have a solution for the crummy looking Egi problem.

Put some new options in the menu.

1. Show NEW EGI MODELS for all players.
2. Show NEW EGI MODELS for yourself.
3. Show NEW EGI MODELS for party members only.
4. Show NEW EGI MODELS for no one/use old ones for everyone.

IF anyone has a problem with larger models they can make use of the options here to tailor their experience so they can see them or not.

Also I should have went c a t b o y z instead of Highlander. But Heavensward is so close I shouldn't worry about it.

I resubbed and am back in the FC. I'm playing on the PC now with a keyboard instead of the PS4 controller, so on top of not playing in a year, adapting to heal on a KB was a little hard. I started off doing a low level dungeon (HM) and got a feel on what I would have to change. Then ran Sunken Temple and Thornemarch (Hard) without much trouble! I have the worst memory so I had to go through each skill and re-read how they work and I think some stuff has changed like stoneskin buffing the whole party now?

I can't wait for the expansion now!

Yikes just resubbed and I totally have forgotten pretty much everything. Time to read up on that long guide.
Lets newbie-up together!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Anyone know if they'll let you preload ps4 Heavensward before early access?
They're already allowing for a partial download when you activate the early access, but it's just 1.7GB and it downloads as "Heavensward" which obviously isn't displayed in the library, because it's just a part of FFXIV. I wonder if an add on can patch itself/download the rest of the file after being installed, like regular games do.

Kenai

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Necromancer_%28Final_Fantasy_V%29

It was actually a fun class to play and didn't play like the generic necros from other MMO's

If BST ever does appear I doubt it'll be what people wanted. I mean people complain all the time about the lack of interaction between the pet egis and the SMN. Most of that has fallen on deaf ears by the dev team. They seem to want a pet job on training wheels. The amount of interaction is so low that I sometimes wish they'd just up the potency on DoTs, fold the pet abilities into the SMN skill set, and just drop the Egi altogether.

I never said Necro hasn't existed at all, just that they aren't a job you see very often.

That and the whole Necro shtick was basically playing as a zombie character and having to deal with the fact that normal healing doesn't work on them in combat. Definitely interesting but also not something i can see translating well to MMOs.

And you can interact with the SMN pets quite a bit if you want to. You need to do that quite a lot when tanking anything that "matters" for funzies with Titan cause of them being bad at positioning, and if you want max Garuda deeps you have to move her into max deeps "melee' range for the knockback aoe damage. I know it's not quite as involved as SCH messing around with Eos or trying to be on a silence rotation with Selene, but I it is there. At least we have them out all the time, in 11 it was summon > Blood Pact > unsummon > ghetto cures or sitting to regen mp (until the faboulous update that let you BP TWICE before ghtto cures/sitting). And even if it doesn't "feel' like it, they are important since they do like...1/4th? of your deeps.

There could definitely be improvements but it's such a huge step up from everything in FF11 regarding pets (outside graphix) that I think it's fine (for now), If anything, i wish the pets could join us in CSes :(

Grisby

Ok, so (late game spoiler)
Midgardsormr
is pretty funny. Just showing up for a second or two before buggering off.

And you can interact with the SMN pets quite a bit if you want to.

Yeah, but its not really super necessary to do so a lot of the time. It's always good to let them sit on obey, but the amount of abilities you need to que up at any given time is pretty low. Not to mention there's an awkward delay when queing abilities.

Since the damage relies on the master most of your time will spent watching the DoT/shadow flare timers, dodging mechanics and making sure things stay on cool down.

You need to do that quite a lot when tanking anything that "matters" for funzies with Titan cause of them being bad at positioning, and if you want max Garuda deeps you have to move her into max deeps "melee' range for the knockback aoe damage.

Yeah, but Titan isn't a super good tank. He can't snap aggro for shit or provoke and he lacks major DEF cool downs, so he winds up being a WAR with no defiance and one DEF CD. Its semi funny to watch him tank low lvl dungeons, but its nothing super significant in the grand scheme of things. You can't really pick up a boss with Titan when you have raid class damage dealers wailing on the thing.

Moving either one of them isn't something your going to do more than a half a dozen to a dozen times a fight anyway. Even then positioning isn't something I'd call being all that interactive, since the pets by their nature in this game are more or less mobile turrets and you won't be interacting with them too much.

At least we have them out all the time, in 11 it was summon > Blood Pact > unsummon > ghetto cures or sitting to regen mp (until the faboulous update that let you BP TWICE before ghtto cures/sitting).

I'm guessing you quite during the 75 cap? SMN at 99 is a power house and you can BP: Rage for into the 5 digits regularly. Its nice combined with convert from /RDM and Refresh, and they're also no longer pseudo healers. They haven't been for long time now. Avatars favor was also a welcome addition to buff party members.

And even if it doesn't "feel' like it, they are important since they do like...1/4th? of your deeps.

I know, which is a shame if you ask me.

There could definitely be improvements but it's such a huge step up from everything in FF11 regarding pets (outside graphix) that I think it's fine (for now), If anything, i wish the pets could join us in CSes :(

I beg to differ. Since a lot of the changes post abyssea SMN is a lot better representation of what an FF SMN could be in the grand scheme of things. FF14 SMN is nothing more than an aff. warlock by comparison-thats perfectly fine really. People enjoy the play style for sure, but as a supposed pet class its pretty sad how weak at times and on training wheels your pet really is. Its a far cry from what a classic SMN is, which makes no sense to me considering the name of the class and the lack of interaction with the pet or SMN magic in general. Summoning has always felt like this grandiose magic art where I could summon other worldy gods to rain down the sword of damocles itself. I haven't got that feeling once playing SMN in this game.

They don't even have to do a FF11 style SMN. just give me something to do with the damn thing other than hitting a few stuns/AoE/contagion every now and then :/

TRI Mike

Guys, do you see Red Mages and Blue Mages making it in a future expansion post-Heavensward¿ How'd you make them work¿

Red: I'd make them use swords but require both CNJ and THM leveled so they can cast both types of spells. And just like in FFXI I'd make them focus on debuffing rather than raw DPS or healing.

Blue: This is a weird class that sometimes works (bravely default, FFXI) and sometimes doesn't (FFV). I'd probably make it completely separate from the basic classes with the possibility of equipping both BLM and WAR weapons. They could have some basic skills and actions that unlock via leveling but the monsters move should be learned the classic way. By getting hit with them.

Noi

Blue: This is a weird class that sometimes works (bravely default, FFXI) and sometimes doesn't (FFV). I'd probably make it completely separate from the basic classes with the possibility of equipping both BLM and WAR weapons. They could have some basic skills and actions that unlock via leveling but the monsters move should be learned the classic way. By getting hit with them.

Did you just say that the Blue Mage doesn't work in the game that has the most broken incarnation of the Blue Mage class in the entire series?

To actually answer, a job that relies on leveling two other classes sounds kinda like a hassle. Plus, that's kind of what cross-class abilities are already.

SkyOdin

We could definitely see Beastmaster someday, especially since their weapon of choice isn't being taken up by another class yet (1 handed axes). Could possibly be the only class to pull me away from SCH. They might have a similar problem to BLU in the dev team doesn't quite know how to implement it while paying homahe to the BSTs from older games, but who knows. I never thought I'd see a re-imagined Engineer or Astrologer job here either.

Okay, one thing here: the Beastmaster should be a whip using class, not a one-handed axe using class. The axes were just in FFXI, which was trying to keep a simple weapon list. The class used whips when they were first introduced in FFV. Since FFXIV is giving every job its own unique weapon, whips would be the superior choice.
Guys, do you see Red Mages and Blue Mages making it in a future expansion post-Heavensward¿ How'd you make them work¿

Red: I'd make them use swords but require both CNJ and THM leveled so they can cast both types of spells. And just like in FFXI I'd make them focus on debuffing rather than raw DPS or healing.

Red Mage has to be a job that combines melee ability, offensive, and healing magic in some way with a heightened emphasis on debuffs and support. The FFXIV approach will probably be a support DPS Job that has some similarities to Bard and Arcanist. It would probably have some minor healing power akin to the Summoner's Physik and Resurrection, while also having access to some support ability, probably Refresh from FFXI. At the same time, it's main role will be mixing melee attacks and attack spells. Maybe melee combos that proc spells? Switching between melee and ranged like how the Black Mage switches between Fire and Ice? Anyways, the most likely weapon for Red Mage would be Rapiers or Foils.

Blue Mage can go any direction. It classically has a mix ranging from physical attacks, elemental attacks, defensive buffs, and healing. If you look at Blue Spells like Vampire and
White Wind, you can almost build a Healer Job out of it. On the other hand, some of the core of the Blue Mage are breath attacks and eye lasers. Or just exploding. I guess a debuff heavy and slightly off-kilter DPS class that has a lot of moves that mix hp recovery with spending hp to unleash attacks. Probably the key word for defining Blue Mages would be "Strange". The most likely weapon for Blue Mages would be scimitars or other curved swords based on FFTA, though I could imagine them going full Quistis and using whips, or maybe bringing Relm in and having Blue Mages use magical brushes or something. I don't think the actual mechanic of learning spells from monsters is quite as important as the flavor. Having all of the job quests for the class involve hunting monsters to learn their skills might be sufficient.

Its one of the most requested classes every time they do a job poll. I believe a year or 2 back they said they wanted to add RDM to the game along with Samurai and Ninja. 1/3 has shown up so far so they could make it work.

Personally prefer that it isn't a debuffer this time around and be an all around jack-of-all-trades caster that swings the sword. Something you couldn't really do in 11.

Blue mage is something they were weary of adding. See here:

Q: I love the blue mage job that appears in the FINAL FANTASY series. Will the blue mage job ever be implemented in FFXIV?

A: I think that blue mage is an interesting job because you can learn spells from enemies, but honestly I don't think that it really fits MMORPG party settings. If anything, I think it would work solo and it would be really fun to implement it as a job where you go around and learn abilities from every monster, so I'd definitely like to try and do this, but I'm concerned when it comes to playing in a party players would put up barriers if you haven't learned certain abilities. Additionally, in the event you are able to use abilities forever once you learn them, the difficulty of learning abilities would be high, and we wouldn't be able to balance the system so it wouldn't revolve around procuring your abilities instead of equipment. This wouldn't be practical enough to fit in an MMORPG party setting and conversely if you are swapping in only certain abilities you've learned, the true image of a blue mage would diminish, so this is something that I am concerned with.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/191993

This is from the live letter last year though so things do change.

Kenai

Okay, one thing here: the Beastmaster should be a whip using class, not a one-handed axe using class. The axes were just in FFXI, which was trying to keep a simple weapon list. The class used whips when they were first introduced in FFV. Since FFXIV is giving every job its own unique weapon, whips would be the superior choice.

I wouldn't mind whips. I think Dancer would use whips better though (always wanted them to have those in 11). I also think Dancer would work pretty well in this game as a healer if they converted what was already in 11 over here. Full line of Curing Waltzes, Haste/Drain Samba, Steps and Flourishes could all work.

Or give them fans, i dunno.

I beg to differ. Since a lot of the changes post abyssea SMN is a lot better representation of what an FF SMN could be in the grand scheme of things. FF14 SMN is nothing more than an aff. warlock by comparison-thats perfectly fine really. People enjoy the play style for sure, but as a supposed pet class its pretty sad how weak at times and on training wheels your pet really is. Its a far cry from what a classic SMN is, which makes no sense to me considering the name of the class and the lack of interaction with the pet or SMN magic in general. Summoning has always felt like this grandiose magic art where I could summon other worldy gods to rain down the sword of damocles itself. I haven't got that feeling once playing SMN in this game.

They don't even have to do a FF11 style SMN. just give me something to do with the damn thing other than hitting a few stuns/AoE/contagion every now and then :/

Yea, i quit during WotG, and even if they did fix SMN that was after a looooong time of them piddling around doing nothing that mattered (they did PUP and BST kinda wrong too, that game was just bad for pet classes overall when I played). Maybe they did stuff right eventually a lot of that stuff's balance was so wacky for so long that I hope you understand why I don't really want to see that again and would rather 14's team stick to what they are doing regarding class mechanics since it is (mostly) working, even if some of the Heavensward stuff sounds kinda iffy to me their track record has been pretty good overall.

I'm trying to figure out how more pet interaction would be an advantage to the class considering this game's mechanics and not coming up with much. i guess if you aren't interested in minning/maxing I can't really suggest what more they can do outside of transferring more potency to the pet, but considering that would be almost entirely a disadvantage i am not to sure I'd recommend moving in that direction.

Maybe eventually they will have a job where you control a pet more directly at the expense of your character not doing much, but to be frank SMN has been like this from day 1 on here so it's one of those things where ya gotta look at it for what it is rather than what it is not. It's allowing you a minimal amount of interaction because it's not that rewarding (to you) to mess with it but it is there if you really want. Hell our SMN does extra melee book dps cause he can and it matters (a little) and I have yet to see another do the same, maybe it;s for the best if you are allowed to get away with auto-pet a lot.

Yea, i quit during WotG, and even if they did fix SMN that was after a looooong time of them piddling around doing nothing that mattered (they did PUP and BST kinda wrong too, that game was just bad for pet classes overall when I played). Maybe they did stuff right eventually a lot of that stuff's balance was so wacky for so long that I hope you understand why I don't really want to see that again and would rather 14's team stick to what they are doing regarding class mechanics since it is (mostly) working, even if some of the Heavensward stuff sounds kinda iffy to me their track record has been pretty good overall.

If you can ever go back, or hell even find a friend with a 99 SMN I fully recommend it. It took them a decade but they finally did right by their pet classes. You'd fully understand my frustration if you play SMN as it is now. It plays quite differently compared to the 75 cap.

I'm trying to figure out how more pet interaction would be an advantage to the class considering this game's mechanics and not coming up with much. i guess if you aren't interested in minning/maxing I can't really suggest what more they can do outside of transferring more potency to the pet, but considering that would be almost entirely a disadvantage i am not to sure I'd recommend moving in that direction.

To the bolded I would prefer they give a potency boost to DoTs in exchange for doing away with the perpetual pet. That way you wouldn't have to worry about your pet dying from AoEs/swapping pets mid fight and wasting MP/losing dps to revive it/keep it alive. Positioning can only do so much after all. There'd be no more worrying about the ugly ass aesthetic of the Egi's either. I have no confidence in the glamor options they'll add later, but I'll be happy to eat my words if they deliver lol

With a perpetual pet gone you could add summoning magic thats more a one and done style like classic FFs. You summon > summon does its super awesome move thats super effective > disappears into the night consuming MP/Some form of stackable buff whatever. It would be something like this Bahamut stance they're throwing out there.

Either way whatever they have planned its a little late to add more pet interaction now than what we have. The class would need a moderate redesign to support something like that. This isn't likely to happen because like I said there are people who like the current play style and this would certainly upset that, and two they haven't demonstrated a willingness to change things like that drastically.

Maybe eventually they will have a job where you control a pet more directly at the expense of your character not doing much, but to be frank SMN has been like this from day 1 on here so it's one of those things where ya gotta look at it for what it is rather than what it is not. It's allowing you a minimal amount of interaction because it's not that rewarding (to you) to mess with it but it is there if you really want. Hell our SMN does extra melee book dps cause he can and it matters (a little) and I have yet to see another do the same, maybe it;s for the best if you are allowed to get away with auto-pet a lot.

I've already cast my vote of no confidence in that regard. If SMN is any example I expect any other "pet" class we get to be completely neutered and focused on the master damage. As for SMN I've already mostly abandoned it and hardly use it anymore since I lvled BLM. It was fun at first learning the play style and all, but after awhile muscle memory kicked in. When that happened I realized how both aesthetically boring the class is with the Egis and spells, and how weak I felt vs other caster/ranged/melee dps-this is of course the nature of a DoT class since it isn't burst dmg focused. Even with Bane and fester I still feel pretty weak on adds to this day. After I leveled BLM I couldn't justify coming SMN anymore since I could do everything they could do and do it better for longer. It was also aesthetically far more pleasing and rewarding as a nice extra bonus.

I still believe they should rename the class to something else and give us a more classic SMN, cause even if it is called Summoner the current iteration revolves little around summoning mystical creatures/gods to rain down death. Maybe Heavensward will change that who knows. However, If you were a fan of summoning magic/lore in the FF franchise in my opinion this is the weakest entry yet in terms of summoning magic a player can use.

Klyka

Banned
Just finished off all the story content before Heavensward.

Man, those were a LOT of cutscenes there and also some really cool ones at that.
Looking forward to see where the story goes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom