• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
Oh man.

Is it time for a giant 2.0 ending survey to vote on all these burning questions we've bickered about for ages? Is Fracture the best cross-class skill? Which tank class is superior MT? How many poison pots should one be expected to bring to a progression raid session? At what point does not having Quelling stop being funny and start being sad? Is there a DPS class more insufferable than Summoner? Which race should be evicted from Eorzea? Amon's hat: Best hat ever or.... Lol there's no or it's the best.

I was ALMOST bored enough to log in Sunday night and get another level or 2 on my bard. ALMOST! But then I bought a game on sale through GOG, crisis averted.

I was under the assumption that Summoner was the worst DPS class in the game....

you hear this from a lot of people who are just bad at Summoner.

A good Summoner will do more DPS than 90% of the morons that say SMNs are bad. There are a lot of fights that SMNs just work really well in too if you get the hang of playing them.

They're a hard class to play on controller though.

Ruruja

This question was probably asked a lot already, but can I finish the main scenario without going too far into the endgame content?

Sure, all the raids and extreme primals aren't in the main scenario.

Also.. is it actually possible to have a good time with the DS4? Tried it yesterday and it doesn’t feel right.

I play with the 360 controller on PC and it's great, much more comfortable to play with. It can get a little tricky switching hotbars in a fight at endgame but nothing major.

Qvoth

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b6782e2d0b7befaedae68b0b38b662a1328666c4
15d1032b9b4930625091ad52c9b883d9d22d24cc_1.jpg

new artwork everyday

I was under the assumption that Summoner was the worst DPS class in the game....

For many it's just the most high maintenance class in a game where impatience and cluelessness are the norm. A good summoner is a horrifyingly beautiful thing to witness when you come across one.

It's also been getting screwed to Hell and back in gear itemization for a while now so many who main it feel spurned and most I know dropped it for something else.

scy

End of the day, my DPS cap on Summoner is pretty close to BLM (+/- AoE setups ala T10) which is above Bard but below melee. Which is fine, I guess. We're essentially immune to mechanics and are a fairly high mobility caster. Our biggest issues were itemization and some down-the-road scaling concerns.

You're confused. Summoner just has the worst optimized gear in the game. Anyone actually saying summoner is some terrible DPS is just whining.

An "average" melee should outperform both casters; whether or not that's fine is up for debate, I suppose. I'm really looking forward to where added skill ceiling stuff places all the DPS come expansion.

I'm really interested to see just how much the Spell Speed changes in Heavensward will effect SMN. Wonder if SS will be the go-to stat or if crit and det will still be the better stats, with SS just slightly less shit.

scy

I'm really interested to see just how much the Spell Speed changes in Heavensward will effect SMN. Wonder if SS will be the go-to stat or if crit and det will still be the better stats, with SS just slightly less shit.

when I have to make a Spell Speed / Det relic in the expansion, I'm going to look upon the past and laugh.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How important it really is to have Eye for an Eye as a BLM?
I don't feel like leveling ARC to 34 just for that and while clearing all the raid content in 2.x aside from the Savage Coil I never felt the need to have that skill.
Am I missing out?
Not gonna lie, I barely used E4E all throughout final coil. Then again, I might be a bad BLM. It's cool if you can remember to use it.
I was ALMOST bored enough to log in Sunday night and get another level or 2 on my bard. ALMOST! But then I bought a game on sale through GOG, crisis averted.
You don't have Quelling?

iammeiam

Is this where people start posting the DnT and Levi leaderboards again?

That's always good for wondering how we have a hojillion bards none of whom can seriously compete.

it's hard enough getting the healers to use it!

Based on when it does usually get used, I think the goal should be making sure healers actually understand what it does first.

scy

Based on when it does usually get used, I think the goal should be making sure healers actually understand what it does first.

It makes me go "Please hope for Eye for an Eye to proc and to stop being utterly useless and actually miti--HEY IT PROCCED GUYS."

I guess it does something besides that.

Problem of EoE is how utterly unreliable it is. You might want that reduced damage before a big aoe or something, but you need to cast it WAY before the aoe for a decent chance at it procing. It's nice for reducing aoe tanking damage situations though.

It's pretty decent to use on a BLM just randomly when you're on GCD from firestarter though, you put it on a mouseover macro so you don't have to switch targets and just drop it whenever, it doesn't hurt unlike untraited virus. Hardly a necessity and most of the time no one will notice if you're using it or not using it.

Valor

above bad and below good
Well, are you saying that average melee dps would outparse average casters? Because yeah, that's pretty true. Average melee outparsing good casters though I just don't see it. If you parse 600ish on T10, I can tell you right now no average melee is going to be coming within 100+ of that.

If you mean all things being equal, then yeah. Average melee probably will crush average casters, I would imagine. Crush may be a bit of a strong word, but you get the gist, I'm sure.

Is this where people start posting the DnT and Levi leaderboards again?

That's always good for wondering how we have a hojillion bards none of whom can seriously compete.
I don't recall seeing very many bard parses that blew the doors off of encounters. Plus all of the good parses had Dragoons/Ninjas, so it's whatever.

Bard is dead anyway. Best to bury the remains and move on to the bright future of Machinist Ninja Dragoon.

As a healer I toss out Eye for an Eye simply because it is there and MIGHT be useful I have otherwise never had a moment I was thinking "Glad used E4E such a good skill."

iammeiam

I don't recall seeing very many bard parses that blew the doors off of encounters. Plus all of the good parses had Dragoons/Ninjas, so it's whatever.

Bard is dead anyway. Best to bury the remains and move on to the bright future of Machinist Ninja Dragoon.

Meh, it's mostly weird to me because GAF FC just has a _ton_ of Bards, so out of all the jobs it's the one I'd most expect us to field an outlier in and from what I know we're more or less all within statistical noise of each other once gear balances out, but not within reach of the upper-echelon stuff, even adjusting for missing DRG and/or NIN. It mostly made me wonder if we were en masse missing something.

But, yeah, it no longer matters. Now we'll all be serviceable if unremarkable other things!
I still don't know what to be send help.

scy

Joking aside, E4E is really good in terms of the end effect. It's not too hard to time it out at around 20s before you want it to be up. It's a chance to proc but it's more unlikely to not get a proc in that duration than it is to get one.

...that said, it's more of a progression tool to try and worry about timing due to the necessity of the situation. Still, I think it's a good habit to use them even if it's unnecessary simply to get used to when they might be necessary.

Well, are you saying that average melee dps would outparse average casters? Because yeah, that's pretty true. Average melee outparsing good casters though I just don't see it. If you parse 600ish on T10, I can tell you right now no average melee is going to be coming within 100+ of that.

I'm saying that average melee would be closer to the good side of caster damage than the average side of caster damage. Which I don't really think there's a disagreement here on.

Is it possible for E4E to not proc at all?

Yeah, it can not proc but it's not _that_ likely to completely blank. I mean, it tends to go through 10-ish swings in 30 seconds? That's around an 89% chance I think for a single success.

Valor

I'm saying that average melee would be closer to the good side of caster damage than the average side of caster damage. Which I don't really think there's a disagreement here on.
Nope, no disagreement. I can definitely see that.

Meh, it's mostly weird to me because GAF FC just has a _ton_ of Bards, so out of all the jobs it's the one I'd most expect us to field an outlier in and from what I know we're more or less all within statistical noise of each other once gear balances out, but not within reach of the upper-echelon stuff, even adjusting for missing DRG and/or NIN. It mostly made me wonder if we were en masse missing something.
This is true enough I suppose. I think I chalk it up to us being lazy for the most part and not really pushing hard to maximize dps. The first time I really can think about me trying hard to get things on point was while we were doing t9s, where I tried to plan my buffs to take advantage of Trick Attack instead of just letting it fall along wherever I am in my own "rotation".

I mean I don't think a majority of our bards are too terrible, but there's probably another step a majority of us can take. Whether or not we care enough to do so is another story, I guess?

iammeiam

Man you may not have been doing that stuff, but I was pretty frequently. It may not have helped, but I tried. It's not a terrible or not, it's just that we have nobody really impressive and that's weird to me.

And, yeah, "good enough" is unfortunately the GAF goal a lot of the time.

Stacey

Banned
This question was probably asked a lot already, but can I finish the main scenario without going too far into the endgame content?

Also.. is it actually possible to have a good time with the DS4? Tried it yesterday and it doesn’t feel right.

The character creator is amazing. Dat brown catgirl (*^▽^*)

Definitely possible and enjoyable.

I'm a ilvl 125 WHM using only a dualshock 4 (and keyboard to chat) The only thing that is frustrating is useless DPS. Apart from that the game is golden.

Demoskinos

The character creator is amazing. Dat brown catgirl (*^▽^*)

The main scenario with take you through the majority of the Dungeons and Trials as a requirement. You can ignore raids if you so cboose however. Also DS4 is perfectly viable. I play a BLM and have cleared all content in the game as various roles Tank,Healer,DPS with DS4. You just have to find out what setup is most comfortable for yourself.

Most MNKs even on the PC swear by controller.

i dont b/c I'm better than most

Man you may not have been doing that stuff, but I was pretty frequently. It may not have helped, but I tried. It's not a terrible or not, it's just that we have nobody really impressive and that's weird to me.

And, yeah, "good enough" is unfortunately the GAF goal a lot of the time.

w/e gets that boss's hp to 0

Nohar

Sounds like you need to level botanist/miner to 60 instead of an adventurer class, so you can make that big time money selling overpriced common materials to rich crafters.

I'm seriously thinking about doing just that, and forgo leveling my main job. I'm not really sure how the market will react once Heavensward is up. Supply and demand should both be very high.

Also, Dragoon 48. Gosh I forgot how FATE farming can be mind-numbing. After this one I'll need to level up Warrior (22) and Monk (21), though it may be a better idea to save the bonus exp for the rest... Decisions, decisions...

Soulflarz

Banned
Heavensward digital CE bought. Will be back after I play through oonee more game. (TW101)
Oh and Dragons Dogma. Should take a few days.

Said I was returning for this, and here I am :D
(my 2 month card is still unused too!)

I'm seriously thinking about doing just that, and forgo leveling my main job. I'm not really sure how the market will react once Heavensward is up. Supply and demand should both be very high.

Also, Dragoon 48. Gosh I forgot how FATE farming can be mind-numbing. After this one I'll need to level up Warrior (22) and Monk (21), though it may be a better idea to save the bonus exp for the rest... Decisions, decisions...

Oh if your goal is making money, I fully expect this to be an easy and guaranteed way to do so. You have to consider that on every server there's like 1 to a dozen of crafters that are going into the expansion with 100-500+millions with the sole goal of being the first to sell whatever can be crafted/do the airship stuff and so on.

While they might have FC people supplying them materials, it's not necesarily the case(mostly because any sort of investment in materials will be easily covered by the profits from selling their products anyway).

So I expect the prices of the first common/semi rare materials to be insanely high, because the supply will probably be low(most people I'm sure will level their combat classes first) and the demand won't be terribly high but will be from people with insanely deep pockets. So it'll be really easy to make money.

Now wether or not that's fun to you, that's a different question. As someone who has enough money to probably never have to farm any for the next 2-3expansions and still afford anything I'd want, I don't care, but if you've been poor all of 2.0 and you're looking to be rich all of Heavensward, I think banking on this and spending the first couple of weeks just making money is a pretty solid idea. Unless you're in a static and need to start farming alexander normal asap and what not, there's also no real rush to get to cap.

WolvenOne

Dead game watch, Day 91.

Dear diary, I should have enough Gil to pay some GAFers to pass on a Ramuh pony soon. Afterwards I am uncertain what I will do with my life. This place, it is filled with ghosts. Ghosts of players past, and the ghosts of raiders future. The horizon stretches out before like a fallow wasteland. Maybe I should level my botanist.

There is no sense here. Signed: NuNu.

You have 2 weeks to get to cap. Plenty of time to make money first.

That heavily depends on your playtime though, and I took a "safe" approach in that statement but yeah you can get a combat class to cap after getting a gathering class to cap in 2weeks, most likely. But if you don't play that much, you wouldn't make it I'd think so it'd be a choice between the 2 instead.

And you can still make money AFTER too, it's just I expect the big money to be during that first week when crafters are buying massive bulk amounts of metal/wood/cloth/jewels/fruits(na just kidding no one wants cooking crap) to do leves and get their craft to 60 then whatever's needed to craft the first tier of crafting gear and gathering gear to sell and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom