• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Last live letter before the expansion info:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f682f668aa34ced6921d284392f81542ec4c4edb

Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. (PDT)

I kinda hoped it would take place during the earlier days of E3, that's like really last minute, but eh. No mention of patch notes anymore though, hopefully they just release the patch notes after and let people read them rather than actually read them on video which is boring as all hell.

Prelim patch notes are 7PM PDT on June 16th. And only in Japanese. Because fuck everyone else, that's why.

Less than a week. Time to consider hype.

Ah yep just saw that. That sucks. Well kinda. Hopefully it means patch notes available to read right after the stream ends, in english. Or even in japanese, I'm level 34 Google translator, I can probably decipher half of it.

I have a feeling I'm never going to get a Dreadwyrm Earring of Aiming from T10. It never drops and there's always 1-2 people I have to lot against. dem odds I'm not feelin them

Tash

Ah yep just saw that. That sucks. Well kinda. Hopefully it means patch notes available to read right after the stream ends, in english. Or even in japanese, I'm level 34 Google translator, I can probably decipher half of it.

I expect SCH patch notes in regards to surprise tofu shoes!

squadr0n

Does my Gamestop pre order come with an Early Access Code? I might need to stop in and pick that up!

How are que times these days for DPS?

I've taken a break since right around Heavensward was announced so I was fresh and not too burned out. Gotta finish the story stuff soon :(
I don't understand why they have such a larger gate for the expansion.

Mature

Does my Gamestop pre order come with an Early Access Code? I might need to stop in and pick that up!

I've taken a break since right around Heavensward was announced so I was fresh and not too burned out. Gotta finish the story stuff soon :(
I just started leveling my first DPS and trying to run low level roulette takes about 20 minutes to queue.

Silvard

Hey guys, as a returning player that is 30 lancer/16 marauder only, is it worth it to stop and try to have some relevant crafting jobs at the same level as the adventuring ones, to gear myself while I level? I already started doing this back when I was playing and leveled all crafting jobs to about 10 or 12, and all gathering to like 20, but even that took me a LONG time and it seemed like it was a really tedious process. Are they worth it?

Sora_N

Hey guys, as a returning player that is 30 lancer/16 marauder only, is it worth it to stop and try to have some relevant crafting jobs at the same level as the adventuring ones, to gear myself while I level? I already started doing this back when I was playing and leveled all crafting jobs to about 10 or 12, and all gathering to like 20, but even that took me a LONG time and it seemed like it was a really tedious process. Are they worth it?

Sounds like it'll just burn you out. Should continue the story first and do that stuff on the side.

I'm probably not gonna touch that till level 50 and finish the quests.

Mature

You incidentally fall over the gear you need over the course of leveling a character. Things like Job Quests, Side Quests, LeveQquests, and Dungeons appropriately dole out the stuff you'll need.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Just wait for expansion, and you will have a very boost in the story missions.

suzu

You should just level your battle class up first while working on the story/job quests. You really don't have to do any crafting/gathering if you don't want to.

Silvard

You should just level your battle class up first while working on the story/job quests. You really don't have to do any crafting/gathering if you don't want to.

I do want to, I'm just not sure if it's horribly efficient to do it now. It's fun enough to craft and I love crafting in games, but maybe it's better to wait until I reach 50 on one class first? Maybe it becomes easier?

Kenai

You should have gotten a code on your receipt that you can input on your account page.

And DPS queues usually take less than 30 min. Much easier if you queue with a tank or healer buddy though, usually shortens it to 5 min or less.

I do want to, I'm just not sure if it's horribly efficient to do it now. It's fun enough to craft and I love crafting in games, but maybe it's better to wait until I reach 50 on one class first? Maybe it becomes easier?

Well considering you are gonna need to do the content of any specific zone to do things like flying (and you just know the real rare nodes are gonna be in the middle of nowhere like always) it's probably best to do a battle job first. by the time you are 60 or so there should be some general into on how to efficiently proceed with gathering/crafting.

I might keep an eye out for whatever crafting dailies/currency to earn so i don't fall behind with those commendation type things la reputation/tomes/sealant/w/e but beyond that I am definitely taking my time with them.

But that is just for the expansion. if you mean getting to 50, you can just do HQ leve turn ins. Those will get you up there quick-like. I highly recommend doing battle class first as you need to progress through the story for expansion content and that requires battle classes. HQ turn ins aren't too hard to do if you are queuing for stuff, but Quarrymill/Costa/Coerthas Fates are my fav way to go for DPS leveling after the LLDR is done for the day.

suzu

I'd say maybe not make it a priority before you hit level 50 on a battle class. If you want a change of pace, then go for it. Just don't let it burn you out though.

Also there's some crafting/gathering beastmen daily quests that are helpful exp boosts, but I think you can only unlock them when you have a battle class at level 40 or so.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Absolutely; crafting low lv battle gear is a waste of time, mats, and money. Dungeons will rain down gear on you and anything you don't find in a dungeon you can get from a town vendor. Only thing I'd recommend doing now is maybe your challenge log since that's on a weekly timer and it hands out a good chunk of exp. There's also crafting dailies you can run later in the game that will help you with level you crafters, but for now focus on leveling your main and finishing the story.

BadRNG

As Mature said, you get most leveling gear just from quests and the like. It's not really worth spending the time to craft your own gear while leveling. You can do it for secondary classes you level if you want, but GC gear you can get can generally last awhile for them.

I wouldn't waste any gil buying gear either. The one and only exception to all of this is (potentially) jewelry, as it can be kind of sparse compared to other types of gear, but I would not worry too much about it.

Silvard

Alright then, I want to get into crafting but I will focus on a battle class and finishing the story for now, and leave crafting as an endgame pursuit.

Absolutely; crafting low lv battle gear is a waste of time, mats, and money. Dungeons will rain down gear on you and anything you don't find in a dungeon you can get from a town vendor. Only thing I'd recommend doing now is maybe your challenge log since that's on a weekly timer and it hands out a good chunk of exp. There's also crafting dailies you can run later in the game that will help you with level you crafters, but for now focus on leveling your main and finishing the story.

That is greyed out on my menu, am I supposed to have it by now?

BadRNG

Quest in Limsa at level 15, so you should be eligible to get it now. That's something they added later in one of the patches.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How important it really is to have Eye for an Eye as a BLM?
I don't feel like leveling ARC to 34 just for that and while clearing all the raid content in 2.x aside from the Savage Coil I never felt the need to have that skill.
Am I missing out?

Semper88

I don't feel like leveling ARC to 34 just for that and while clearing all the raid content in 2.x aside from the Savage Coil I never felt the need to have that skill.
Am I missing out?

not much, i'd say if your a progression raider it could come in handy due the E4E rotation on the tank etc.

Teknoman

I dunno if im gonna want to get right off the bat exploring as Paladin, or start training my dark side. I know I still have some Dragoon training to get Monk up to par...but i've gotta finish up Warrior at least to 30 something.

So close >_<

EDIT: If anyone finds a South Seas Charm, please let me know. You get it from desynthing Gigansharks, but my fishing skills arent anywhere near to snag one.

Leunam

So I'm past the Atma stage of my relic knives, working on the first book still. It's slow but is it eventually going to be more powerful than the weathered knives I can buy for 1300 soldiery? Is it worth it to just buy those weathered knives once I have the soldiery to do so?

So I'm past the Atma stage of my relic knives, working on the first book still. It's slow but is it eventually going to be more powerful than the weathered knives I can buy for 1300 soldiery? Is it worth it to just buy those weathered knives once I have the soldiery to do so?

yeah it would be. get the weathered vajras and farm a sands of time to uncurse them from CT or 2nd coil. then save up your poetics to get ironworks knives. the relic isn't going to be too worth it other than saying you did one in a few days time. there's also diamond knives if you can farm shiva.

Am I missing out?
Eye for an Eye is something your healers should have and be casting on the tank. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask a BLM why they aren't casting that on the tank.

Dunkley

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before:

I want to get some game time in order to finish up the story and level to 50 before Heavensward so I can jump right into the expansion when it drops, but do you guys think I will be required to gear up through raiding before I can actually jump into the expansion or will I be mostly fine just with the normal gear I have at 50?

I don't know how the endgame gearing process works in FF14 and my only experience with that type of deal is with WoW which allows you to enter the next expansion fine just with quest gear, but I figured I might just ask in case things are different here in FF14.

Thoraxes

I want to get some game time in order to finish up the story and level to 50 before Heavensward so I can jump right into the expansion when it drops, but do you guys think I will be required to gear up through raiding before I can actually jump into the expansion or will I be mostly fine just with the normal gear I have at 50?

I don't know how the endgame gearing process works in FF14 and my only experience with that type of deal is with WoW which allows you to enter the next expansion fine just with quest gear, but I figured I might just ask in case things are different here in FF14.

Most of the story content has gear ilvl requirements, so you'll need to hit those to do the appropriate story bosses.

Raid gear is a reward for raiding and is good for gearing up to a high level fast with the highest level equipment while you get equipment with tomes. (Tomes (tomestones) are tokens you receive primarily for doing instances and can be exchanged for high level items.) This gear is not really necessary to catch up on the story at all, and once the expansion comes out in 10 days, it'll be quickly outdated anyway.

To jump right into the expansion you don't really need to do anything special with your gear, as the item level requirement for dungeons and story-based instances has always been low compared to the highest item level. For example, the last story-based instance required your character's item level average to be 90, while the highest possible average is currently 130. You'd be able to get to 90 easily by doing dungeons, the Crystal Tower raids (which are a bit more like 24-man dungeons), and getting tome items. In fact, if you make friends with a generous crafter, it's possible to hit this requirement with crafted gear alone.

Will the expansion continue the main story?

Yeah, it's a direct continuation.

----

Edit: Screenshot time! Got my Apocalypse, the last ever Zodiac I'll do, honest.

myraoriales08_06_2015xsu46.jpg
Veil of Wiyu Nexus, which I had for slightly under a minute, until...

Bye bye, dorky reading light.

Orcastar

Got an e-mail from the Square Enix store last night that my order for the Heavensward CE would be billed two days from now. 50 minutes later I got another e-mail stating that I had been successfully billed for the order. Good job, SE?

I was pretty hyped for Heavensward a month ago, but it's becoming increasingly unlikely that I'll finish Witcher 3 in time for it...

Kenai

Most of the story content has gear ilvl requirements, so you'll need to hit those to do the appropriate story bosses.

Yup. We are at a pretty big cliffhanger in the story right now actually, might take most of next expansion to clear everything up!

There are some basic gear requirements, but there are a few different ways to get that gear. The easiest way is getting soldery tomes while running other content. Whatever doesn't drop you can fill in the holes with tome gear from the vendors. If you meet the basic ilvl reqs for things like the 24 man raids, earlier coil turns and HM/EX primals you should be able to get a decent amount of various gear quickly. it won't be perfect but it should definitely get you through the main story.

Crafted gear is pretty good too for filling out the basic ilvl reqs, but it's easy to overpay if you dunno what you are doing so be wary of that.

Crafted gear is pretty good too for filling out the basic ilvl reqs, but it's easy to overpay if you dunno what you are doing so be wary of that.

Yep, that's true. The reason why I mentioned it in connection with generous crafter friends, though, is that the mats needed to make i90 gear are cheap as muck now. For example, cashmere fleece needed to make i90 caster gear regularly goes under 1000 gil on the market board. I certainly wouldn't mind making a few freebies to help someone catch up.
(Crafted accessories and weapon are still going to be expensive, though, but you can just spam Crystal Tower stuff to get the drop for a soldiery/poetics weapon and soldiery/poetics to pick up accessories.)

Jeels

Man..thanks to everyone that tried to help me with t13 last night. Sorry we couldn't clear it :( I appreciate everyone's time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Raid gear is a reward for raiding and is good for gearing up to a high level fast with the highest level equipment while you get equipment with tomes. (Tomes (tomestones) are tokens you receive primarily for doing instances and can be exchanged for high level items.) This gear is not really necessary to catch up on the story at all, and once the expansion comes out in 10 days, it'll be quickly outdated anyway.

To jump right into the expansion you don't really need to do anything special with your gear, as the item level requirement for dungeons and story-based instances has always been low compared to the highest item level. For example, the last story-based instance required your character's item level average to be 90, while the highest possible average is currently 130. You'd be able to get to 90 easily by doing dungeons, the Crystal Tower raids (which are a bit more like 24-man dungeons), and getting tome items. In fact, if you make friends with a generous crafter, it's possible to hit this requirement with crafted gear alone.

Yeah, it's a direct continuation.

----

Edit: Screenshot time! Got my Apocalypse, the last ever Zodiac I'll do, honest.

Veil of Wiyu Nexus, which I had for slightly under a minute, until...

Bye bye, dorky reading light.

Is that a summoner?

iammeiam

Oh man.

Is it time for a giant 2.0 ending survey to vote on all these burning questions we've bickered about for ages? Is Fracture the best cross-class skill? Which tank class is superior MT? How many poison pots should one be expected to bring to a progression raid session? At what point does not having Quelling stop being funny and start being sad? Is there a DPS class more insufferable than Summoner? Which race should be evicted from Eorzea? Amon's hat: Best hat ever or.... Lol there's no or it's the best.

Silvard

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm going to slowly try to get used to the game again (I used to know so much about it relatively speaking, now I just hope to some day understand half of the things said just on this page.

Oh man.

Is it time for a giant 2.0 ending survey to vote on all these burning questions we've bickered about for ages? Is Fracture the best cross-class skill? Which tank class is superior MT? How many poison pots should one be expected to bring to a progression raid session? At what point does not having Quelling stop being funny and start being sad? Is there a DPS class more insufferable than Summoner? Which race should be evicted from Eorzea?

I feel the biggest question is the last one. Nobody cares about raid stuff.

Also it's cat ppl and lalas

iammeiam

I edited because I forgot the most important part.

And I'm actually really curious if cats or potatoes are the most reviled. I assume everyone hates lalas out of intense emote envy.

holysan

This question was probably asked a lot already, but can I finish the main scenario without going too far into the endgame content?

Also.. is it actually possible to have a good time with the DS4? Tried it yesterday and it doesn’t feel right.

The character creator is amazing. Dat brown catgirl (*^&#9661;^*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom