• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of them? I'm kind of neurotic about that kind of stuff. I remember there being an event some time after I quit where Lightning was around and you could get armor based on hers. It drove me nuts knowing I wouldn't have it, despite me not playing the game anymore at that point.

Of course! I'm Master Silvard on Ultros, I'll also be rediscovering the game so the more the merrier!

yea they usually redo them, but I dont know what theyll do now that they added the cash shop

Silvard

Load faster than drama with this

Not all of them (yet). Sure more will be added over time. For the FFXIII items Lightning has already returned twice since her first event, wouldn't be surprised if we see a fourth go around at some point.

What other types of promotional events have they done so far? I guess so I have a good idea of what I've missed out on and so my regret can deepen :'(

I ask about missed content in general because I played GW2 and there was a lot of content you'd miss out on if you weren't active most of the time.

WolvenOne

What other types of promotional events have they done so far? I guess so I have a good idea of what I've missed out on and so my regret can deepen :'(

I ask about missed content in general because I played GW2 and there was a lot of content you'd miss out on if you weren't active most of the time.

Save for seasonal events, there hasn't been much of the way of limited-time events. As for seasonal events, they mostly award vanity gear, or furniture.

Only other thing i can think of that might count, is the building up of Mor Dhona. That however was less an event, and more a series of cosmetic changes to simulate the passage of time.

suzu

I think nearly all the special events (holidays and promotional) have some vanity stuff that you can't get again or are only available on the optional items store.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Mostly silly fetch quests with vanity/housing rewards. You can find most of the vanity stuff on the cash shop.

BadRNG

Promotional wise they had a FFXI event that had you fight a giant Shantotto and get a minion of her, a DQX event with a brickman minion and slime hat, and then of course the Lightning Returns one. Not really a cross over like the others, but there was also a special one year anniversary for ARR's launch. That one actually had an exclusive emote rather than just a minion or some vanity gear.

All the other events have been seasonal for holidays and the like. They come every year but the rewards are different, so if you missed them you're out of luck unless they add the item to Mogstation to buy. Most of the exclusive furniture for houses is tradeable too, you can find some of it on MB.

Silvard

Holy crap, that's a lot "content" that I've missed out on.

On that note, I understand that like all MMOs current content will no longer be relevant when the expansion hits and a new endgame is created, but are there ways to experience everything on my own, or incentives to do legacy runs or something like that?

Sorian

Banned
Holy crap, that's a lot "content" that I've missed out on.

On that note, I understand that like all MMOs current content will no longer be relevant when the expansion hits and a new endgame is created, but are there ways to experience everything on my own, or incentives to do legacy runs or something like that?

At 60, you'll probably be able to the vast majority of dungeons on your own. All story stuff is already soloable. Trials and Raids are what you will be missing out most on and I don't think there are any plans currently to do legacy runs of old stuff. I'm sure that will come at some point but certainly not now.

Pachimari

What is this, current content won't be relevant when the expansion hits? Are they gonna remove something from the main game?

Or can I relax and take my time completing the story? So that I don't have to worry about Heavensward launching soon.

iammeiam

The thing with MMOs is that you build up a ton of content balanced around the current max level cap. So FFXIV has a ton of optional stuff to be done at level 50 (EX Primals, Coil) that people have been doing/still do because it's the endgame or stuff you have to do to get to the endgame.

When the cap goes to 60, there's no longer any reason for people to hang out doing level 50 content. The main story stuff is still required for new players and will stay fairly active, but Coil will just be a thing that drops outdated glamour gear and primals will just be for ponies (most likely... Coil isn't required for access to the new raid; I'd guess new primals won't require old primal completion but I could be totally wrong there. Although there are no new EX primals so probably no requirement.)

You'll probably still be able to get groups together to do things--especially since at 60 everything will be laughably easy--it's just going to be a smaller pool of players regularly doing them as everyone's going to be focused on the level 60 stuff.

Jayhawk

What is this, current content won't be relevant when the expansion hits? Are they gonna remove something from the main game?

Or can I relax and take my time completing the story? So that I don't have to worry about Heavensward launching soon.

You can't access the new expansion areas without completing the base game's main story questline.

They are increasing the level cap to 60, so most, if not all, of the current rewards and gear will become obsolete.

They will be adjusting the experience rewards for current content once expansion comes out to speed up the 1-50 process for a new player. You will have a harder time finding groups for current level 50 cap content when the expansion hits, unless the developers add relevant rewards to old content.

In terms of taking your time or not, that's your call. If you're going to rush through content, you'll have to ask yourself why you're in a rush.

Redx508

Don't hate me angary
9rn4zYj.jpg

iammeiam

Better a potato than waifubait/waifubait 2.0/boring/giraffe/there aren't even enough Roes for them to have an identity to mock.

Jayhawk

Better a potato than waifubait/waifubait 2.0/boring/giraffe/there aren't even enough Roes for them to have an identity to mock.

I am eagerly anticipating for the day when they add gravy and cheese curds to the game, so I can create lalafell poutine.

Has anyone pre-ordered through Newegg? When did they ship you the early access code? I had a bunch of gift cards from post price matching.

Edit: Got it!

Silvard

The thing with MMOs is that you build up a ton of content balanced around the current max level cap. So FFXIV has a ton of optional stuff to be done at level 50 (EX Primals, Coil) that people have been doing/still do because it's the endgame or stuff you have to do to get to the endgame.

When the cap goes to 60, there's no longer any reason for people to hang out doing level 50 content. The main story stuff is still required for new players and will stay fairly active, but Coil will just be a thing that drops outdated glamour gear and primals will just be for ponies (most likely... Coil isn't required for access to the new raid; I'd guess new primals won't require old primal completion but I could be totally wrong there. Although there are no new EX primals so probably no requirement.)

You'll probably still be able to get groups together to do things--especially since at 60 everything will be laughably easy--it's just going to be a smaller pool of players regularly doing them as everyone's going to be focused on the level 60 stuff.

tumblr_mig80tc9h71s0qwvdo1_500.jpg

scy

Basically, current raids and end-game content won't be relevant when they add +10 character levels on top of things. The content will still be in the game but there won't be any reason to do it outside of players wanting to and/or for vanity.

Silvard

Basically, current raids and end-game content won't be relevant when they add +10 character levels on top of things. The content will still be in the game but there won't be any reason to do it outside of players wanting to and/or for vanity.

Yeah, I get that. It's mostly the terminology that I'm lost on. Hopefully the vanity rewards are desirable enough that us returning players at least get to see the old raids and encounters.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, I get that. It's mostly the terminology that I'm lost on. Hopefully the vanity rewards are desirable enough that us returning players at least get to see the old raids and encounters.
People will probably still be running roulettes with the old content, so there's that.

Our group is looking for a melee DPS or Summoner for raiding in Heavensward, preferably melee though. I guess we could take a Bard if you're super good. Tengetsu has to do work stuff or something dumb so we need a replacement.

If your group is imploding or you are currently groupless or if you just want to cause drama by transferring, please hit me and/or docbon up if you're not a bad.

I am terrible at writing serious recruitment messages.

We raid Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 7 PM - 9 PM Eastern. We expect to be going into Alexander on day one so getting your class to 60 within those first couple of weeks will be necessary.

Kenai

Oh man what if you requite defeating Bahamut to access Dreadwyrm stance? (No way they actually do that but still).

Oh, the secrets I could reveal.

Oh man what if you requite defeating Bahamut to access Dreadwyrm stance? (No way they actually do that but still).

Oh, the secrets I could reveal.

That would be hilarious but I doubt they will do it since you don't even need to beat Turn 13 to access Alexander.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Our group is looking for a melee DPS or Summoner for raiding in Heavensward, preferably melee though. I guess we could take a Bard if you're super good. Tengetsu has to do work stuff or something dumb so we need a replacement.

If your group is imploding or you are currently groupless or if you just want to cause drama by transferring, please hit me and/or docbon up if you're not a bad.

I am terrible at writing serious recruitment messages.

We raid Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 7 PM - 9 PM Eastern. We expect to be going into Alexander on day one so getting your class to 60 within those first couple of weeks will be necessary.

Give me a chance? DRG.

Risette

A Good Citizen
does the physical PS4 version come with a PSN code or just a SE service code? I want to play disc free, but I assume that once my trial expires I won't be able to download the trial client again. Does the code included let me download the client or will I have to use the disc once I upgrade my HDD or something?

Kenai

That would be hilarious but I doubt they will do it since you don't even need to beat Turn 13 to access Alexander.

I was thinking since they require you to beat Ifrit and Titan and Garuda for their summons they might do the same here somehow. They might just make it a CS or a mini DF outside of Coil if they did though, rather than T13.

Still, imagine the short time forum explosion if "Temper Bahamaut's wroth afore ye taketh his power unto thine own" (is that sentence ye old English enough?) was somewhere in the patch notes.

Most of the male Roe's I've seen are almost naked, mostly speedos with Moggle helm and/or thighhighs.

I may have been responsible for part of that considering the amount of speedo requests I got back during the summer when waterproof cotton was hard to come by. I fufilled a lot of those orders. A LOT. it's partially how I afforded my M house. The Roe-only LS (yes, it's a thing) can get fairly lewd at times, to the point where GAF chat seems family friendly.

I still laugh at those that thought Au Ra would affect Roes more than, say, catgirls or lalafells, Roe fans are pretty dedicated (for one reason or another).

I may have been responsible for part of that considering the amount of speedo requests I got back during the summer when waterproof cotton was hard to come by. I fufilled a lot of those orders. A LOT. it's partially how I afforded my M house. The Roe-only LS (yes, it's a thing) can get fairly lewd at times, to the point where GAF chat seems family friendly.

I still laugh at those that thought Au Ra would affect Roes more than, say, catgirls or lalafells, Roe fans are pretty dedicated (for one reason or another).

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me in the least, I just think it's interesting how there are so many scantily clad males running around in this game compared to other MMO's that I've played. It could be because they actually look good in this game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
does the physical PS4 version come with a PSN code or just a SE service code? I want to play disc free, but I assume that once my trial expires I won't be able to download the trial client again. Does the code included let me download the client or will I have to use the disc once I upgrade my HDD or something?
PSN code. You can redownload it.

Kenai

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me in the least, I just think it's interesting how there are so many scantily clad males running around in this game compared to other MMO's that I've played. It could be because they actually look good in this game.

It is true, the ability to be a pretty buff non-ugly dude who wears scantily clad clothing is pretty rare in general in videogames. Probably even more so regarding games with a decent character creator.

In spite of the developers clearly preferring female dress up given the sheer amount of extra clothing they get, it is still nice that the males got quite a few to play with also.

That and stuff like Eternal Bonding whoever you want and the various little things sprinkled throughout the game showing all kinds of characters (like the recently mentioned Postmoogle recipients and so on) give the game some real character I just don't get elsewhere. It's really appreciated by me (and others I am sure)

Last live letter before the expansion info:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f682f668aa34ced6921d284392f81542ec4c4edb

Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. (PDT)

I kinda hoped it would take place during the earlier days of E3, that's like really last minute, but eh. No mention of patch notes anymore though, hopefully they just release the patch notes after and let people read them rather than actually read them on video which is boring as all hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom