• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

Why not have both is what I have been wondering.

Why is there not a system that gives you two ways of doing it? like you said, the grind for the people that can't clear content and then add the raid & hard content way.

I have always wanted a relic but i don't have that amount of time to play BUT the time I do have, i spend that on clearing the hardest content.
Why should there be both? I think the disconnect here is that the players care far more about stat optimization than SE does
lol smn
. In their point of view, the system you are asking for is already in the game. There are multiple in fact. You can get a top-tier weapon, even before the relic guys, by completely clearing raid content. Starting with second coil you can also get a weapon just below top tier by clearing part of the raid content, or if you wait long enough, from the lower end tower raids.

With subsequent patches, they also add in the Primal stuff as instant mid-tier weapons for those that don't want to do relic but can't clear the high end either. You see the same philosophy in the rest of the tome system for gear, with full ilvl being possible with enough time spent, and mid-tier gear from drops is added later on in the middle of any content tier.

In general I don't think SE differentiates a relic from a weapon of the same ilevel the same way players do. They glow and have some lore to them, but that stuff is about on the same importance as vanity, the main goal is just to give an upgrade path to those that don't have one otherwise. Something to work towards. Giving a faster route through hard content would miss the point, as the raiders already got their avenue.

scy

xFa7iqB.jpg

close enough

Ultimately it comes down to personal muscle memory, whatever you can click in time is what's gonna be good for you.

That said whenever I feel like kicking back and playing the game on a gamepad I have this setup:

Logic behind this is pretty obvious: more used abilities should go to the right side, less used to the left side. So in order from right to left: main cures (regular Medica finds less use at 50), then cooldowns, then secondary heals/abilities (well, calling Regen secondary isn't really fair, but the point is that it's on the same easiest button as Cure 1 due to its highest usage), leftmost is pretty self-explanatory, swiftcast by the raise.

Second page is DPS stance, main single-target abilities, then those useless two (swiftcast is there to go with Repose, it's helpful to quickly disable an enemy in open world); then the Holyspam configuration (with a helpful Bene in case tank goes too low and Presence of Mind to machinegun); and the leftmost part is CS and pre-battle buffs that couldn't fit onto the first page. Protect not being handily available on page 1 to recast on raised people is the only thing I don't like about this setup.

Ah! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! :) I really appreciate it!

I think I'm really digging your set up, because it's similar in structure to my Scholar's, so I wouldn't have to alter the muscle memory too much! The only thing I would switch around is the position of swiftcast and raise, then I think I'd be good to go :)

Thank you!!

BadRNG

Someone call CSI, need their hi-tech zoom and enhance software. Incoming assumptions based off blurry images!

Looks like PLD has a new skill that uses MP and is on the GCD, The first icon looks like a shell so I assume that's shelltron, but the MP one is hard to make out. if it's Clemency that's interesting, would mean there is no cooldown on the heal, and you're only limited by your MP. I assumed it'd be just another cooldown to use, but this would be a cool way to add some layer to the job. Really hard to make out but looks like 4 numbers there so not cheap, which adds an incentive to use riot blade combo outside of just dps since you'd likely want to be using the heal as much as possible.

Man I am tired, at first glance I saw the 黒 and 士 and thought it was BLM 黒魔道士 holding up a staff, then got really confused by all the new icons. See 4 MP abilities for DRK, rest TP, I know some people thought they might not need TP so guess that's good confirmation they will. RIP free sprint dream. Looks like they also have quite a few oGCD skills, wonder what they all do.

Why is that MNK kamehamehaing the ground? Will there be beam battles between them and SMN's ahk morn? How much time must we buy for their spirit bomb LB to be ready?

scy

if it's Clemency that's interesting, would mean there is no cooldown on the heal, and you're only limited by your MP. I assumed it'd be just another cooldown to use, but this would be a cool way to add some layer to the job. Really hard to make out but looks like 4 numbers there so not cheap...

~2121 MP by the look of it which is probably close to 50% your MP at 60? The Ravana preview had a 54 DRK with ~3.3k MP (1.4k on the WAR).

Why is that MNK kamehamehaing the ground? Will there be beam battles between them and SMN's ahk morn? How much time must we buy for their spirit bomb LB to be ready?

until 4.0

Fmal

Banned
Zodiac Weapon trip report:

I just finished my +5 upgrade. All in all, it took me 70 dungeon runs:
DD: 2
Brayflox HM: 8
Halatali HM: 4
Snowcloak: 5
AV: 4 (thank god)
Haukke Manor: 2
Lost City: 1
Sastasha: 1
WP: 11
Copperbell: 1
Hullbreaker: 8
Sunken Temple: 7
AK: 5
PS: 3
Tam-Tara: 13 (fuck this place)
Stone Vigil: 5

Conclusions: If the new Relic weapon requires more random drop shit I'm going to set myself on fire.

On to more light grinding!

That reminds me of being in ST the other day, thinking that I never really got a look at the clones that appear among the trash mobs, so I tried to see if they were different from the cutscene NPC models. I spun my camera around and zoomed in, and discovered to no one's surprise that I couldn't see shit with all the effects going off. Imagine what 24-man stuff is going to be like in HW. {I'm looking forward to it!}

IvorB

I feel like they should just launch the expansion today, in time for the weekend. That would be nice. Next week is cool but today would just be a lot better I think.

dramatis

Hey guys :) Hope I can bug some of you with a question!

So I'm trying to get my WHM up to 50 before the expansion, and I'm playing on a PS3! I'm not 100% sure what the best way to set up my hotbar(s) would be. Are there perhaps any PS3/PS4 WHMs in here that wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot or explanation of their setup? :) I'd really appreciate it!!
My recommendation is that, with the understanding that your left thumb will be occupied frequently with movement using the left stick, your instant-cast and bread and butter abilities should be put on the face buttons (X, O, Square, Triangle).

I also put my cooldowns (things like Swiftcast, Presence of Mind, Eye for an Eye) on the Dpad primarily because those abilities see less frequent use.

Pre-Heavensward the separation of healing and offense into different hotbars as Frumix demonstrated is a fairly manageable idea. HW will probably make this a bit harder though.

If you also play scholar frequently, you can do the same conceit that I do, which is to put "similar abilities" in the same places. Cure/Physick are in the same place. I put Stoneskin on the same place I have Adloquium, Regen and Lustrate share the same spot, Bio/Aero, etc. That way you aren't caught flatfooted trying to remember your controls when you change classes, you can just half ass it lol.
Soken is currently working on 2.xx soundtrack release.
His tissue box is almost literally floating. I wonder if it's glued to his desk.

iammeiam

Also pictured: the oft-discussed towers.

Not pictured: The somewhat less discussed towering. For which we are all thankful.

Unless those are just weird candles in the foreground I guess idk how art works.

T.O.P

Banned
I was wondering if Garuda/Ifrit/Titan Ex. are gonna be necessary to unlock the new Primals

I never really bothered to even try them lol

Sorian

Banned
I was wondering if Garuda/Ifrit/Titan Ex. are gonna be necessary to unlock the new Primals

I never really bothered to even try them lol

Nope, you should still go do them though. If anything, and this is a huge probably not, maybe Shiva EX will be required but nah, can't see that at all.

If you also play scholar frequently, you can do the same conceit that I do, which is to put "similar abilities" in the same places. Cure/Physick are in the same place. I put Stoneskin on the same place I have Adloquium, Regen and Lustrate share the same spot, Bio/Aero, etc. That way you aren't caught flatfooted trying to remember your controls when you change classes, you can just half ass it lol.

SCH has been my main since I started the game! I decided to take my WHM up to 50 just in case I enjoy SCH less after the expansion (some of the things they're planning on doing to the job don't appeal to me too much :()

So this might actually be a good idea. I'm going to fiddle around with my hotbar a little bit and see if I can't get a similar flow on WHM that I had on my SCH!

Thanks!!

iammeiam

Update on NA PSN codes for Playstation preorders from the SE store:

(For North America players)

Greetings, everyone!

Sorry for the delay regarding the PSN promotion codes! We know you're all very anxious to get them registered long before early access begins. We've been working closely with Sony Computer Entertainment America and it looks as though all of our testing has been completed for the PlayStation 4 codes!

We'll be inputting them into the Pre-order website over the weekend and once the system is given the green light they'll automatically be distributed to all of you who have been waiting so patiently for them! Current ETA for distributing the PlayStation 4 early access codes is early morning Monday.

PlayStation 3 codes are still undergoing testing, but are scheduled to be sent in the days that follow the PS4 early access code distribution. We're still on track to deliver those ahead of early access so hang tight a bit more!

Once again, we truly appreciate your patience!

BadRNG

Okay, been kinda crossing my fingers, but by now I figure I should just ask.

Has there been any word on Warriors getting a 2nd Dot?
Unless they are getting more than the five skills we know about, then no, but why do you even want one?

You already got the best DoT in the game. How greedy are you?

WolvenOne

Unless they are getting more than the five skills we know about, then no, but why do you even want one?

You already got the best DoT in the game. How greedy are you?

Mainly just curious, was kinda wondering if they'd attach a dot or something to the DPS-Stance version of Inner Beast or something. I'd like to think that they'd do something more interesting there then just a High Potency AoE and a High Potency Single Target attack, minus the enmity. Obviously simply having access to a couple extra high potency attacks would do the job, but if there was some extra utility or whatnot that'd be nice.

As for greed, well Warriors obviously don't need it, but I certainly wouldn't say no if they offered another Dot. XD

BadRNG

Mainly just curious, was kinda wondering if they'd attach a dot or something to the DPS-Stance version of Inner Beast or something.
Seems like they going for a pretty straight forward alternative to IB/SC, just burst moves without the healing or threat component. WAR all about that burst, don't need no DoT.

It'd be kind of a waste with Infuriate anyway, since if you did DPSIB > Infuriate > DPSIB you'd be wasting a ton of potency due to overwriting the DoT.

Fmal

Banned
Mainly just curious, was kinda wondering if they'd attach a dot or something to the DPS-Stance version of Inner Beast or something. I'd like to think that they'd do something more interesting there then just a High Potency AoE and a High Potency Single Target attack, minus the enmity. Obviously simply having access to a couple extra high potency attacks would do the job, but if there was some extra utility or whatnot that'd be nice.

As for greed, well Warriors obviously don't need it, but I certainly wouldn't say no if they offered another Dot. XD

I'm very interested to see what the new DPS versions of IB/SC do. Apparently the new SC has an earthquake animation?

WolvenOne

I'm very interested to see what the new DPS versions of IB/SC do. Apparently the new SC has an earthquake animation?

Not the little spinning sawblade thing we saw in the benchmark?

Seems like they going for a pretty straight forward alternative to IB/SC, just burst moves without the healing or threat component. WAR all about that burst, don't need no DoT.

It'd be kind of a waste with Infuriate anyway, since if you did DPSIB > Infuriate > DPSIB you'd be wasting a ton of potency due to overwriting the DoT.

Ah, point. Would still be nice if SS/IB had some additional utility in the DPS stance though.

Sorian

Banned
I still feel like the name Deliverance seem wrong. I don't have a better idea but my mind tells me it doesn't match up right.

WolvenOne

I still feel like the name Deliverance seem wrong. I don't have a better idea but my mind tells me it doesn't match up right.

Well they clearly wanted it to sound kinda like Defiance, and I think the idea is, "Deliver you unto your maker," or something akin to that. Granted most people associate the word Deliverance with Messianic figures, so it doesn't entirely work. Would've been a great name for a healer stance.

Jomjom

Banned
Um... I'm getting a bit nervous. I preordered the HW CE for PS4 from Best Buy, but I still haven't gotten an early access code. Am I supposed to or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom