• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/

kd008.png

What is that little cute dog with mantle.. lol.

is that... supposed to the FFVI emperor as poodle? (Based on everyone imagining him as a dog thanks to his SNES sprite).

BadRNG

What is that little cute dog with mantle.. lol.
More importantly, why is that MNK dressed like a BRD.

It's always fun watching full STR PLDs try to out-aggro me with sword stance. Nothing is going to rip aggro off me in defiance! No amount of vokes will help them either
Out-aggro...in sword oath? That seems counter productive if threat is your goal. Only time you'll be pulling in sword is if tank is asleep or undergeared in comparison to you...

GUYS WE'RE ALMOST THERE.
IT'S ALMOST TOMORROW?!

IvorB

GUYS WE'RE ALMOST THERE.

Um... I hate to be that guy but NO WE'RE NOT!!! IT'S STILL LIKE SIX FREAKIN' DAYS!!!!

If they had just listened to me and launched yesterday like I suggested we would have never got into this mess. Maybe if I log in, go to Coerthas and jump of high buildings riding on my Chocobo it will feel like Heavensward.... I don't know...

SO finally hit 30 on my ARC, did my Chocobo quest so now I have a fighting Chicken with me as well as my glowing squirrel/carbuncle.

I'm pretty keen to level the THM/CNJ so I can get the jobs, but what questions should I do first? I have a quest to go and look at the Titan Primal for the main story, and a level 30 Arcanist Quest. I was under the impression that it'd basically be like "HEY DO THIS" and I'd get what some people called a Job Stone? Or do I need to level up the other class to 15 first before I see that?

SO finally hit 30 on my ARC, did my Chocobo quest so now I have a fighting Chicken with me as well as my glowing squirrel/carbuncle.

I'm pretty keen to level the THM/CNJ so I can get the jobs, but what questions should I do first? I have a quest to go and look at the Titan Primal for the main story, and a level 30 Arcanist Quest. I was under the impression that it'd basically be like "HEY DO THIS" and I'd get what some people called a Job Stone? Or do I need to level up the other class to 15 first before I see that?

You need to level up CNJ and THM to 15 then the level 30 quests to gain the job crystals will appear.

Probably best to leave titan until after you've got your job crystal.

Well which one first doesn't really matter, that's up to you. THM is faster to 15 though. That said it's more a question of what do you want to level to 50 as, a healer(SCH, so need CNJ) or a DPS(SMN, so need THM). You could switch back and forth but you have to do both job quests and stuff it's kinda annoying imo. They both level roughly as fast, SMN is better at killing single mobs but any quest where you have to kill a bunch of mobs, SCH goes as fast/faster because you can just pull a bunch and aoe them down. Much faster queues for dungeons as a SCH obviously.

And you do need the lvl 30 ACN quest done to see the quest for the job, which will require your sub class to take it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Can somebody coach me on Monk rotation?
I'm opening with Tackle -> ToD -> PB -> Demo -> Snap -> Snap -> DK -> TS then go into
Boot - True - Snap - DK - TS - Snap cycle replacing Snap with Demolish every 3rd time.

At 126 I'm still getting pretty low numbers with this (hanging around very low 500s)

I'm opening with Tackle -> PB -> ToD-> Demo -> Snap -> Snap -> DK -> TS then go into
Boot - True - Snap - DK - TS - Snap cycle replacing Snap with Demolish every 3rd time.

At 126 I'm still getting pretty low numbers with this (hanging around very low 500s)

I'm pretty sure you typed this out incorrectly because there's no way you're getting 6GCDs out of PB and nobody would waste a PB GCD on ToD.

Shoulder Tackle -> PB -> Snap Punch (Internal Release) -> Snap Punch (Blood for Blood) -> Demolish (Steel Peak) -> Dragon Kick (Howling Fist) -> Twin Snakes -> ToD

The idea being that you get two Demolish attack buffed by Blood for Blood and the first one is also buffed by GL2 at that point. Your ToD will also be buffed by GL3 and B4B.

Some people like Demolish first instead of the first Snap Punch but I've found much more success with this method and I also find it easier to immediately get a flank hit than a rear hit with the boss potentially still moving.

As for the actual MNK rotation, idk it's pretty simple. It's basically a checklist of "is this buff/debuff/DoT active?". If yes then use the other skill for that form, if no reapply the buff/debuff/DoT.

You might also be clipping too much? In general you shouldn't clip your DoTs if they have 5-6 seconds left on them unless you're going to be spending some time away from the boss, e.g. Earthshakers or Megaflare in the final phase of T13.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
As for the actual MNK rotation, idk it's pretty simple. It's basically a checklist of "is this buff/debuff/DoT active?". If yes then use the other skill for that form, if no reapply the buff/debuff/DoT.

That's a lot if-thens to consider at once while the fight is going on.

Usually on monk after the opener you can use your bootshine/true strikes and dragon kick/twin snakes one after another, after that it really just boils down to demolish and ToD timers

That's a lot if-thens to consider at once while the fight is going on.

It can be a little overwhelming at the start but it's honestly really intuitive and you'll just sort of learn what you need to do next after playing the class a bit to the point where it'll be muscle memory.

There's nothing really difficult execution wise on MNK, it's just a pretty intuitive set of choices that you just sort of learn after a while. I prefer it to set-in-stone rotations.

You can just work on the opener and the basic 1-2-3 combos at the start and then when you get comfortable look to cheat out extra damage with timings after that.

They key to MNK is just maximising GL3 up-time. If you're dropping GL3 stacks often that could also be where the lack of DPS is coming from.

I guess another way to put it is to relate it to a class you play, in this case Dragoon.

You have the priority system on Dragoon of Disembowel > Heavy Thrust > Phlebotomise > 1-2-3 combo

It's the same with MNK. Dragon Kick (resist down like Disembowel) > Twin Snakes (Damage up like heavy Thrust) > Demolish and ToD (DoTs like Phlebotomise) > 1-2-3 combo (Bootshine, True Strike, Snap Punch)

On MNK the combo is less strict and you have the overarching mechanic of Greased Lightning stacks. Once you are comfortable with that priority system you can then adapt it to maximise DPS through timings, DoT management, preparation for downtime etc.

Sorry if that sounded patronising or something the analogy just popped into my head and I wanted to share it.

MogCakes

Out-aggro...in sword oath? That seems counter productive if threat is your goal. Only time you'll be pulling in sword is if tank is asleep or undergeared in comparison to you...

PLD's threat generation in sword oath with full STR spec can pretty easily surpass a VIT-spec tank's threat. I used to toy around with it myself. It is usually i130 PLDs with zeta who run this setup.

PLD's pulling threat off of the MT should be less of an issue with the new combos. You'll only need to use Halone to re-apply the debuff if you're OTing and the MT is a Warrior. Otherwise you can just go between Royal Authority and Gore Blade as necessary.

scy

PLD's threat generation in sword oath with full STR spec can pretty easily surpass a VIT-spec tank's threat. I used to toy around with it myself. It is usually i130 PLDs with zeta who run this setup.

I think STR vs VIT counts as "undergeared in comparison."

Really though, Shield Oath's bonus enmity is nice but it's not as massive of a lead as people think it is. The damage penalty clips a lot of that bonus off. It's still better but not enough to offset a lot of extra STR.

PLD's pulling threat off of the MT should be less of an issue with the new combos. You'll only need to use Halone to re-apply the debuff if you're OTing and the MT is a Warrior. Otherwise you can just go between Royal Authority and Gore Blade as necessary.

Assuming people use them.

There's going to be a lot of lazy 1-2-3 OTing still in the 3.0 Towers.

I'm opening with Tackle -> ToD -> PB -> Demo -> Snap -> Snap -> DK -> TS then go into

on a dummy? You either arent clipping correctly or stopping the parse too early. The other thing is that you may not facing the mob correctly and not getting in all the auto attacks you can, especially when you rotate from side to back and vice versa

Redx508

Our group is looking for a melee DPS or Summoner for raiding in Heavensward, preferably melee though.a bard may work if you're super good.

We raid Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 7 PM - 9 PM Eastern and sometimes till 10 if needed

We expect to be going into Alexander on day one so getting your class to 60 within those first couple of weeks will be necessary. mumble required

PM me or PhillipCostigan,docbon

Frumix

Suffering From Success
on a dummy? You either arent clipping correctly or stopping the parse too early. The other thing is that you may not facing the mob correctly and not getting in all the auto attacks you can, especially when you rotate from side to back and vice versa

I always strafe around the target. Doesn't seem like I'm missing any auto attacks - it's definitely not an issue on dragoon. The best I could hit was 550 over 3:30-something with a party bonus. I thought maybe my gear was garbage? It kinda is since it's just whatever I had laying around but even then with a 130 weapon it shouldn't be this bad.

Gonna have to record a video or something. This is pretty frustrating.

BadRNG

Right, a STR tank can surpass a VIT tank in dps stances, but like scy said that's a gear disparity. But if the PLDs you mentioned were really trying to take threat from you, STR spec + shield oath is far more threat than STR spec + sword oath.

I always strafe around the target. Doesn't seem like I'm missing any auto attacks - it's definitely not an issue on dragoon. The best I could hit was 550 over 3:30-something with a party bonus. I thought maybe my gear was garbage? It kinda is since it's just whatever I had laying around but even then with a 130 weapon it shouldn't be this bad.

Gonna have to record a video or something. This is pretty frustrating.

ok your gear is garbage.

there's too much skill speed and accuracy there.

It doesn't matter much now because expansion next week but here's the current BiS

You have 1 less weapon damage, 25 less main stat, 37 extra accuracy, 33 less crit, 55(!!!!) less Determ and 48 extra skill speed.

You're doing fine on a dummy for that gear. Though I think you already knew that. I'd like to see the video of you doing that with that gear and a party bonus. Maybe RNGesus smiled upon you like no other.

Linkark07

Banned
Well I think I give up on T9. Have tried this over a month with PF, no luck. Either people don't know how to place meteors, let golems fuse, paralyze the party with thunderstruck or, if we are lucky, divebombs kill us.

I... am so tired of this crap. Only wanted to do this for unlock the last turns. I'll have to pray to Yoshi so he can let us unlock the last turns in Heavensward without doing T9.

P.D. Needed to vent my frustration.

Well I think I give up on T9. Have tried this over a month with PF, no luck. Either people don't know how to place meteors, let golems fuse, paralyze the party with thunderstruck or, if we are lucky, divebombs kill us.

I... am so tired of this crap. Only wanted to do this for unlock the last turns. I'll have to pray to Yoshi so he can let us unlock the last turns in Heavensward without doing T9.

P.D. Needed to vent my frustration.

Are you on Ultros? People will be willing to help you through it in the GAF FC

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're doing fine on a dummy for that gear. Though I think you already knew that. I'd like to see the video of you doing that with that gear and a party bonus. Maybe RNGesus smiled upon you like no other.

I dunno about RNGesus, seems fairly consistent.
I make a couple of mistakes here and run out of TP earlier than I thought I would (because lol who pays attention to Invig amirite, dragoons sure don't) but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKg4lPieLk0

Japanese DPS calculator tells me I should be doing that without STR bonus and I believe it because it is in Japanese.
I kinda start to dislike monk outside of boss battles for how unwieldy it gets sometimes.
My biggest beef is that I can hit much higher on DRG with five times less effort.

Zhao_Yun

Yay, my group managed to clear T13 tonight, just in time before expansion hits.
Looking forward to raid in Heavensward now, when the content is still fresh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom