• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda stuck right now
Was doing the main quest and lm at the point where I have to do snowcloak
The problem is the requirement is average item lvl 80 while I'm @ lvl 65...
I only got 60k gil
What should i do now ;_;

You do every dungeon you haven't done once, to get bonus soldiery to buy armor. Also do your relic if you haven't done it, bunch of soldiery from that and a i70 weapon, which you could upgrade to i80. Though 60k might be short to buy one.

Shield Swipe would be better if it applied pacifism to all enemies in addition to providing a 50% received damage reduction buff (duration stacks with repeated use).

Well yeah, it'd also be better if it instantly killed everything you hit with it, but that's not going to happen.

The skill isn't bad but it has very niche uses. Mostly the only point is it's free, as in cost no TP, so you use it on extended fights where you might run out of TP but still want to do damage. It's also pretty decent damage(though it comes out only very very slightly better than halone chains) so if you don't need more threat, you might as well add them to the rotation, they don't break combos either(can resume your halone combo chain even if you swipe inbetween). The pacification has very few actual uses, and mostly only on trash or low level bosses.

Basically, it kinda doesn't matter if you use or don't use it.

BadRNG

But I don't see many PLDs mention it (Shield Swipe) so I had to ask.
It's better damage, essentially restores TP, and occasionally has useful debuff. Rule is pretty much use it whenever you can if you have a decent thread lead.

With the new DPS chain coming for PLD it may be losing it's usefulness though. Guess we'll see.

Spyware

Hi FFXIV-GAF!
I just subbed for the second time (the first time doesn't really count tho, never got past level 15) and I'm hoping the game will grab me for real this time. I don't know anyone playing besides my SO, so I figured joining GAF could help us get motivated enough to brave the group content that stopped me the last time I tried. I'm insanely afraid of PUGs :p

We created Lalafells!
CHPxhD6W0AA2FM_.png:large

Talaysen

Obviously I would say the best use of this skill is the same as popping Bulwark (except less offensively minded than Bullwark) - you would want to use it when you're going to be taking a lot of little damage like on trash pulls or a multi-stage attack like Bahamut's Claw in Turn 9. In my opinion it'll be pretty situational, but still useful even if you're gonna be parrying basic auto attacks and the like.

When I parry something it's like -30% damage. Why wouldn't you want to pop it before big physical hits (Revelation, Critical Rip, etc.)? That's straight up better than using Vengence. It's not situational at all.

suzu

Hi FFXIV-GAF!
I just subbed for the second time (the first time doesn't really count tho, never got past level 15) and I'm hoping the game will grab me for real this time. I don't know anyone playing besides my SO, so I figured joining GAF could help us get motivated enough to brave the group content that stopped me the last time I tried. I'm insanely afraid of PUGs :p

We created Lalafells!

Welcome. Yay lalafells! \o/

Getting burnt out.

Not on the game, but just of doing the same stuff I've been doing every night. Crafting dailies, hunts, roulettes.

I'm trying to get the three 40s I've been working on to 50 before next week and I'm just not sure I have it in me.

I'll keep pushing on, though!

Valor

When I parry something it's like -30% damage. Why wouldn't you want to pop it before big physical hits (Revelation, Critical Rip, etc.)? That's straight up better than using Vengence. It's not situational at all.
Well, if you want to get technical here, what you described is a situation. It would be useful if you were going to take a big hit PLUS being physical. That's already rather situational. That's kind of the issue with Parry. The new skill is good because it's 100% Parry, and it's a nice thing to pop alongside Inner Beast or whatever for a big hit. Warrior just has so many ways to handle one large hit that it feels rather unneeded? In a way?

Well yeah, it'd also be better if it instantly killed everything you hit with it, but that's not going to happen.

The skill isn't bad but it has very niche uses. Mostly the only point is it's free, as in cost no TP, so you use it on extended fights where you might run out of TP but still want to do damage. It's also pretty decent damage(though it comes out only very very slightly better than halone chains) so if you don't need more threat, you might as well add them to the rotation, they don't break combos either(can resume your halone combo chain even if you swipe inbetween). The pacification has very few actual uses, and mostly only on trash or low level bosses.

Basically, it kinda doesn't matter if you use or don't use it.

Are there any other abilities that matter as little as Shield Swipe? Maybe Tri-Disaster for Summoners.

If it only manages out to a slight DPS increase I think it would be more interesting if they changed it into something else. What if it was off GCD and had a longer cooldown?

Fehyd

Banned
Starting to get so pumped. Played a bunch of MMO's but an expansion has never really gotten me excited like this before.

scy

Man ... Shield Swipe is far more important than Tri-Disaster. You should be hitting it whenever it's available simply for the TP break and DPS increase.

aceface

Hi FFXIV-GAF!

We created Lalafells!

Welcome to the Mafia.

iammeiam

Shadowbind says hi.

Remember Shadowbind? That's okay, nobody does. At least Tri-disaster looks cool and Shield Swipe has an actual use outside of T7S.

Jayhawk

When they add incentive to do Wolves Den, Tri-Disaster will make its triumphant return. I like to Bane dots onto people who've been Tri-Disastered.

BadRNG

Well, if you want to get technical here, what you described is a situation. It would be useful if you were going to take a big hit PLUS being physical. That's already rather situational. That's kind of the issue with Parry. The new skill is good because it's 100% Parry, and it's a nice thing to pop alongside Inner Beast or whatever for a big hit. Warrior just has so many ways to handle one large hit that it feels rather unneeded? In a way?
Well, I mean, big physical hits are the most common tank killer, aren't they? Everyone always brings up Ahk Morn/Flarebreath but physical big hits are still far more common. Every FCOB boss had one, majority of SCOB was physical, everything but ADS was in first. The major knock against parry is usually that it cannot be relied upon, not that is is physical damage only. A 100% parry skill has a ton of uses. It may not be "needed" but it's still incredibly useful, really powerful cooldown.

I'm really curious if it works with Awareness. That'd be crazy for trash/aoe tanking.

Man ... Shield Swipe is far more important than Tri-Disaster. You should be hitting it whenever it's available simply for the TP break and DPS increase.

Yeah Tri Disaster is just bad. Thing is Shield Swipe is such a minor DPS increase(it's 210potency instead of the average 203potency from halone chain iirc) and TP increase is such a non factor for Paladin in most of the content, that it makes the skill kinda like, eh. You might as well press it because it is still a positive thing, but not using it would make close to no difference at all besides the fights where you can in fact run out of TP and not benefit from Paeon's due to limited range. It's rather unique in that regard, almost everything that is a boost is such that not using it is actually a severe loss in general or comes at a huge cost(Fracture insane TP cost for example), but not Shield Swipe.

I would boost it by making it increase the damage of Riot Blade or something, which would have pushed a dual combo setups for Paladin and more interactive gameplay(get a block, finish your chain, shield swipe, do a riot blade combo for higher damage, resume normal play and so on). With the expansion they're doing some stuff in that regard, but if it stays the same it'll still be kinda weird.

scy

I mean, there's all sorts of things to be done to improve Shield Swipe. I was just noting it's pretty much always better to hit it than not hitting it which isn't the case for Tri-Disaster (or Shadowbind or other actual niche skills).

I remember reading that a bunch of PLD/WAR pre-50 skills are getting changed/adjusted for Heavensward.

Not really counting on Shield Swipe being changed though. I just don't find the current iteration to be that interesting to use. But it is not major issue. Especially since we are getting 2 new combo route's to make PLD more fun to play.

I ran the benchmark on my PC. I scored 6911 "very high" on 1920 x 1080 Maximum on directx 11. Does this mean the game will look and better on the PS4 than on my PC?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm kinda stuck right now
Was doing the main quest and lm at the point where I have to do snowcloak
The problem is the requirement is average item lvl 80 while I'm @ lvl 65...
I only got 60k gil
What should i do now ;_;

Have you visited the gear vendor at Mor Dhona? Trade in your Soldiery Tomes for i100 gear. Just run dungeons(especially dailies) for more tomes, you should reach that i80 req with relatively little effort and not a single gil spent. Also, run any dungeons in duty finder you have yet to clear for a huge dump of tomes beating it first attempt. Everyone on the party gets the same bonus if you clear the dungeon with someone new to it. Also you might get lucky getting new equipment off bosses doing appropriate leveled dungeons too.

Fmal

Banned
I really, REALLY, hope that whatever they call the new Relic in 3.0, they tie getting it to stuff that requires actual skill instead of just mindless grinding. Tie it to Alexander or Primals or something that you actually feel accomplished for doing.

12 Tam Taras and counting...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really, REALLY, hope that whatever they call the new Relic in 3.0, they tie getting it to stuff that requires actual skill instead of just mindless grinding. Tie it to Alexander or Primals or something that you actually feel accomplished for doing.

12 Tam Taras and counting...

I'm mid 'books' right now and wish I knew the Heavensward Relic will essentially be a reset button instead of a continuation before starting. I like the idea of a long quest chain that powers up a weapon as an alternative to raid drops or grinding tomes, but this is a bit ridiculous.

At the very least I am told you can drop the steps as the first major content patch post-expansion should introduce a whole new relic quest that isn't tied to the old one. Or at least this is what was gleamed from some interview notes recently.

Still, I hate to at least leave off halfway through this relic book chain, so I'll at least finish that phase off until launch. I hate myself for not having the strength to just abandon it.

iammeiam

Not only will the Heavensward relics be a new quest line, they've also indicated they're going to significantly ease the difficulty/grind of the ARR relic quests to make it a viable vanity option.

That + solo queue without level sync for dungeons should make them more tolerable.

Fmal

Banned
I'm mid 'books' right now and wish I knew the Heavensward Relic will essentially be a reset button instead of a continuation before starting. I like the idea of a long quest chain that powers up a weapon as an alternative to raid drops or grinding tomes, but this is a bit ridiculous.

At the very least I am told you can drop the steps as the first major content patch post-expansion should introduce a whole new relic quest that isn't tied to the old one. Or at least this is what was gleamed from some interview notes recently.

Still, I hate to at least leave off halfway through this relic book chain, so I'll at least finish that phase off until launch. I hate myself for not having the strength to just abandon it.

I just hope the new Relic has requirements closer to killing Ifrit/Garuda/Titan than it does to shit like books or atma or light or basically any step after the +0.

Hey guys :) Hope I can bug some of you with a question!

So I'm trying to get my WHM up to 50 before the expansion, and I'm playing on a PS3! I'm not 100% sure what the best way to set up my hotbar(s) would be. Are there perhaps any PS3/PS4 WHMs in here that wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot or explanation of their setup? :) I'd really appreciate it!!

BadRNG

It's not supposed to be challenging though, the whole point of the relic weapon upgrade quests is for people who can't clear other content to be able to get a sense of progression and something to work towards. You put enough time in, you get a weapon, the accomplishment is just perseverance
masochism

I'd love for them to change that a bit, the original relic line in 2.0 was brilliantly designed and fun even on subsequent run throughs. Judging by how they have talked about the future relic, and just the sheer number of people who bought into the 2.2onwards carrot/stick game, I don't see it changing.

(There's also the added benefit of it keeps long term players running older content, which is another very obvious goal in how the system is set up. The fact you will be running Amdapor Flying Funhouse 15 dozen times to get your sky atma is intended design.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hey guys :) Hope I can bug some of you with a question!

So I'm trying to get my WHM up to 50 before the expansion, and I'm playing on a PS3! I'm not 100% sure what the best way to set up my hotbar(s) would be. Are there perhaps any PS3/PS4 WHMs in here that wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot or explanation of their setup? :) I'd really appreciate it!!

Ultimately it comes down to personal muscle memory, whatever you can click in time is what's gonna be good for you.

That said whenever I feel like kicking back and playing the game on a gamepad I have this setup:
Logic behind this is pretty obvious: more used abilities should go to the right side, less used to the left side. So in order from right to left: main cures (regular Medica finds less use at 50), then cooldowns, then secondary heals/abilities (well, calling Regen secondary isn't really fair, but the point is that it's on the same easiest button as Cure 1 due to its highest usage), leftmost is pretty self-explanatory, swiftcast by the raise.

Second page is DPS stance, main single-target abilities, then those useless two (swiftcast is there to go with Repose, it's helpful to quickly disable an enemy in open world); then the Holyspam configuration (with a helpful Bene in case tank goes too low and Presence of Mind to machinegun); and the leftmost part is CS and pre-battle buffs that couldn't fit onto the first page. Protect not being handily available on page 1 to recast on raised people is the only thing I don't like about this setup.

Semper88

It's not supposed to be challenging though, the whole point of the relic weapon upgrade quests is for people who can't clear other content to be able to get a sense of progression and something to work towards. You put enough time in, you get a weapon, the accomplishment is just perseverance
masochism

I'd love for them to change that a bit, the original relic line in 2.0 was brilliantly designed and fun even on subsequent run throughs. Judging by how they have talked about the future relic, and just the sheer number of people who bought into the 2.2onwards carrot/stick game, I don't see it changing.

(There's also the added benefit of it keeps long term players running older content, which is another very obvious goal in how the system is set up. The fact you will be running Amdapor Flying Funhouse 15 dozen times to get your sky atma is intended design.)

Why not have both is what I have been wondering.

Why is there not a system that gives you two ways of doing it? like you said, the grind for the people that can't clear content and then add the raid & hard content way.

I have always wanted a relic but i don't have that amount of time to play BUT the time I do have, i spend that on clearing the hardest content.

Soulflarz

Banned
I was going to come back tonight, but I just finished End of Evangelion for the first time and I think I need to take a nice long nap TOMORROW
if my brain works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom