• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

You don't need forager's gear to gather anything, except maybe Rosemary? And actually Forager's melds are really cheap. Another thing to point out is that all of the forager's gloves, pants, and shoes can be used NQ and still get the same stats as the HQ versions, you just have to meld them a little more. Sometimes you can find NQ versions really cheap on the market board which makes it worth it even though you have to meld it more.

Good to know, thanks! I need to read up on the whole materia melding system and end-game gathering stuff. I haven't levelled any crafting classes past lvl 32 so I haven't been doing any melding myself. Seems kinda weird how superfluous the whole materia system is when levelling and for the main classes/jobs, what with none of the end-game gear having any materia slots.

The only thing you need to max on all crafts right now is the level for crossclass skills. Unless you can't crossclass the new level 60 skills, that's not even going to change.

We don't really have much info on the system but nothing I've heard about it seems like it'll help.

No that's not what I meant, you will want to level everything to 60(probably), the issue comes with the gearing. Right now, it might not be as much of an issue since they added token artisan and crafted artisan before that(though crafted artisan was expensive as hell), the problem was in 2.0. You had to level all the crafts, not a big deal and actually pretty fun, but then you had to gear them all, and meld on all of their gear. This is what they want to prevent. They don't want people to have to gear every class to be able to craft everything and be competitive on all markets, driving the prices down, making it harder for new players to make money out of their craftings because the materias prices go up while the profit margins go down on every items.

Instead, in 3.0, you level your class, maybe the others too assuming cross classes still work the same way(we'll see though, the new skills could be non cross class), then you buy your AF for your specialized job, meld it, and that's it you're done. You might need to buy AF for other classes, or maybe they'll have generic token gear that's nearly as good but more importantly is good enough to craft non specialized max level stuff(for example with current system, one star stuff, making dark iron nuggets or gold nuggets and such) without melding everything and spending a lot of time/money in it.

On the other hand, while you now have a much limited market, due to specialization, that market won't be as competitive since you won't have every top crafter also making your stuff. The weavers will compete with the weavers, the chefs with the other chefs and so on. Less supply, so higher prices, so less time required. Obviously demand is still an important factor and prices might not go super high, but they won't go super low either like you sometimes saw back then. By 4star though, most people had given up on crafting and the prices kept high due to low supply and people kinda "price fixing" by being little crybabies about undercutting and doing stupid stuff like undercutting by 15g on 1.5million items instead of selling at affordable prices, to make sure the only people buying would be gold buyers or crazy people.

Then there's all the upgrade stuff, gear aside, such as master books and main hand questlines. Gear is a money problem and for good crafters, it's not a problem really, it just means you throw X money at it and fix it instantly and get every class geared. But having to do all the books, all the lucis crafts for every class, that takes a while, and it's boring as hell. You have to craft hundreds of items to get it done, and you have to do that on every class if you want to have every class able to make every items.

I think it'll be a better system, maybe. Implementation still needs to be seen. The other advantage too is in the upgrading of the gear. In 2.4, they added Artisan as the upgrade to the armor. They added Artisan because they probably didn't want everyone to have to remeld ALL THEIR CLASSES one by one, which would have been terrible. But with specialization, they don't need to care about that. They can add AF2 to all crafting classes, and it makes little differences for most people since all they need to do is remeld the one set of gear for their specialized class, which is the same as the Artisan upgrade, but meanwhile keeping further class identity in each crafter and giving them visual recognition, kinda like how Dreadwyrm says "this guy cleared FCoB/got carried super hard", you'll have your AF2 that says "I picked the completely wrong tradeskill and I'm poor as hell, but damn does that alchemy robe look cool and I can make some sweet items no one wants".

Leveling every class to 50 wasn't the hardcore part(at least if you didn't do it super fast and instead took the long route of random leves/GC turn ins/Ixal), it was gearing every class and unlocking every book to craft the most current gear stuff that was. Hell I haven't finished my master 2 books on every class cause it's so freaking boring. That's what specialization I think is trying to correct. Only one class to worry about(or more if you have alts, but that's on you).

TLDR: Read the last paragraph only. Holy shit I typed more than I needed, but eh, whatever.

xxczx

Fresh Lvl50. God damn, just did the Relic Reborn quest and I felt like people was just carrying me in the hard mode bosses.

So I'm just gunna continue story and stock up on Tomes >_> Should my aim be ilvl 100 gear? I'll just be doing roulettes each day I guess.

Hystzen

Fresh Lvl50. God damn, just did the Relic Reborn quest and I felt like people was just carrying me in the hard mode bosses.

So I'm just gunna continue story and stock up on Tomes >_> Should my aim be ilvl 100 gear? I'll just be doing roulettes each day I guess.

Hoard myth for gear while saving poetics for 110 chest piece or whatever feel you need first. Get to work on unlocking Crystal Tower raids soon as starts with legacy of Allag quest. They drop good gear if you not getting high amounts of myth. Then go trough rest of story to get materia you can sell on market board or keep if feel like doing relic weapon you don't really need to

dcye

Hoard myth for gear while saving poetics for 110 chest piece or whatever feel you need first. Get to work on unlocking Crystal Tower raids soon as starts with legacy of Allag quest. They drop good gear if you not getting high amounts of myth. Then go trough rest of story to get materia you can sell on market board or keep if feel like doing relic weapon you don't really need to

Myth hasn't been in the game for like 5 months.

plake

PSA:

PSN goes down for maintenance in 90 minutes for about 8 hours so if you're EU and on PS4/PS3, I suggest logging on asap if you want to play at all this evening.

Godan

so i managed to preorder heavensward through greenmangaming, what do i do with the early access code they sent me?

You get an early access code right away for it?

I ordered the EU CE and not had an email with an early access code yet.

Hystzen

I expect the Highlands to be decimated by dragons burning everything and then the Ishgard army marching out (attacking the 3 states due to Erebuis and Lahbrea manipulation). They could change terrain textures to scorched floor and ruins for whitebrim front.

I would laugh if ishgard wipes out revenants toll after amount of filler quests to set up our new HQ

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So my dragoon is now i113 with Shiva spear.
Why not go T9 thought I.
It was a one-shot. Did 360 DPS (pained me so, messed up my rotation something fierce). Still I was 2nd on damage, got the spear and 4 comms (Maybe they liked my impeccable LB timing).
Really fun as melee though!

Meanwhile, some Evangelion stuff is going down in the Golden Saucer:
fBfO6MJ.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Low Level roulette
Copperbell
Tank is level 20 marauder with New Player leaf
Actually uses Tomahawk, go tank!
...but doesn't use Overpower
Continues to not use Overpower after being informed of its usefulness
Loses agro on every add
Yells at me for DPSing instead of healing
Nobody has died or even gotten low HP
Runs ahead to elevators and hits lever without waiting for team
Laugh emote spams while riding elevators and team watches
Tank gets kicked from party
Replacement tank is... the exact same tank

tl;dr, why is it allowed for someone who is kicked from a party to just duty finder their way back into the exact same party?

So a question about these 110 accessories. Am I understanding correctly that these accessories, which are 20 ilvl below those you can get from raids, can become better than those 130 accessories if you meld them with expensive materia? I understand min/maxing with materia is rng based and expensive, but I don't quite get the reasoning behind making something such a low ilvl when it has the ability to be best in slot. Why don't the materia slots boost up the ilvl?

Low Level roulette
Copperbell
Tank is level 20 marauder with New Player leaf
Actually uses Tomahawk, go tank!
...but doesn't use Overpower
Continues to not use Overpower after being informed of its usefulness
Loses agro on every add
Yells at me for DPSing instead of healing
Nobody has died or even gotten low HP
Runs ahead to elevators and hits lever without waiting for team
Laugh emote spams while riding elevators and team watches
Tank gets kicked from party
Replacement tank is... the exact same tank

tl;dr, why is it allowed for someone who is kicked from a party to just duty finder their way back into the exact same party?

Same exact thing happened to me in a low level dungeon. Kicked a terrible healer who afked nonstop, got the same healer. The kick whipped him into shape though. I couldn't believe it could happen either.

iammeiam

So a question about these 110 accessories. Am I understanding correctly that these accessories, which are 20 ilvl below those you can get from raids, can become better than those 130 accessories if you meld them with expensive materia? I understand min/maxing with materia is rng based and expensive, but I don't quite get the reasoning behind making something such a low ilvl when it has the ability to be best in slot. Why don't the materia slots boost up the ilvl?

iLvl essentially caps how much of each stat a item can take--melding more or less just lets you fit more stats on than regular gear comes with. An i130 ring will have a higher STR cap than a crafted i110, but the i130 ring will also be limited to two secondary stats (both at the i130 cap.) The i110 ring will be limited to the i110 cap per stat, but since you can cram 5 materia on there you can cap a larger number of stats pushing the overall weight of the item higher. This is even more relevant if you're a class where either your ironworks or dread ring has a bad secondary on it, since wasted stats are wasted regardless of iLvl.

Realizing iLvl isn't everything is a big deal--my favorite go-to example is the Ironworks bard chest, which at i130 is a DPS loss against the old i110 soldiery chest. No materia needed, it's just good secondaries at a lower iLevel winds up more valuable than bad secondaries at a higher iLevel.

Hystzen

Is it wrong that I'm contempt having Wootz Sword (with blood sword glamour :3 ) for my PLD. I would like dreadwrym or Magictek but I have zero interest in doing my relic. I know Dread be hardest to get as I not even touched bahamut coils yet plus I never play weekends due to being at gfs so hard to set up a party during week as a euro member. I do have luxury of working at home as I'm freelance designer so why I appear on Ultros during day lol.

I'm more interested in saving poetics for my armour at moment then thinking about weapon. So what asking is will I be fine leaving sword til end as I'm PLD I think armour and accessories are more important.

iammeiam

I'm more interested in saving poetics for my armour at moment then thinking about weapon. So what asking is will I be fine leaving sword til end as I'm PLD I think armour and accessories are more important.

Why not Shiva sword? Farm Shiva for a while, get the sword and a few Diamond Dusts, upgrade it to i115? Way, way cheaper than melding the Wootz sword to be useful. If you have a sub-i110 weapon now, you could also do the soldiery tome weapon as a stopgap.

Hystzen

Why not Shiva sword? Farm Shiva for a while, get the sword and a few Diamond Dusts, upgrade it to i115? Way, way cheaper than melding the Wootz sword to be useful. If you have a sub-i110 weapon now, you could also do the soldiery tome weapon as a stopgap.

I need do ex primals to unlock her ex right? I know Ramuh ex is locked due to fact not done Mog Ex (god I really wish never do it). I could go for Burtang I need grind out crystal tower for sands of time

iammeiam

I need do ex primals to unlock her ex right? I know Ramuh ex is locked due to fact not done Mog Ex (god I really wish never do it). I could go for Burtang I need grind out crystal tower for sands of time

Yeah, Shiva is gated behind Ramuh who's gated behind Mog/Levi. Mog sucks, but I think generally sucks less for tanks so at least there is that, and EX primals are sort of a key component in things to do in the game at 50 so unlocking them is worthwhile.

Burtgang is probably your most cost-effective bet honestly; i110 should let you hold aggro against whoever without being a massive gil sink. ST for sands might take a few runs, I guess, but it's probably worth it.

dramatis

Not that I can read 95% of this, but Live Letter and Heavensward trailer on April 11th. get pre-hype hype, I guess.

Trailer is supposed to have ~massive spoilers~ for 2.55 in it, right?, so make sure to have patch content done by then.
Not Heavensward trailer. They're showing off the 'opening movie' of the game.

Which I suppose will be trailery. I doubt it will be spoilerish considering what the OP of 1.0 and the OP of 2.0 are like.

iammeiam

Wait, is the 2.0 opening movie not the thing that plays if you leave the menu up and starts with Bahamut obliterating 1.0 Eorzea and sort of spoiling the entire 1.0 storyline?

I just figure the 3.0 thing will spoil whatever big massive thig is supposed to go down in 2.55.

IvorB

They do have server turn ins in this game already (they did for the doll quest we just had), so maybe they could do something like a DF fight with a tally leading up to a CS? I dunno. They could just put it in the story and maybe have some extra instanced visuals in Coerthas.

Yeah I was thinking about the doll thing. Maybe it was a rehearsal for something since it seemed fairly random in and of itself

goals before heavensward? get archer to 50

Archer is such fun. It's cool to be leveling again doing guildhests and getting hyped about level 30 gear. :)

So my dragoon is now i113 with Shiva spear.
Why not go T9 thought I.
It was a one-shot. Did 360 DPS (pained me so, messed up my rotation something fierce). Still I was 2nd on damage, got the spear and 4 comms (Maybe they liked my impeccable LB timing).
Really fun as melee though!

Meanwhile, some Evangelion stuff is going down in the Golden Saucer:

360 w/ 20% echo. pls go to the trojita school of drg

studyguy

Anyone have a decent guide on breeding chocobos for racing?
I'm finally at the point of retiring one.

At this point just racing my FC mates in parties.
SO MANY BRIARS

iammeiam

Angary was beasting it on DRG with no echo to the sweet tune of like 320 (no echo) yesterday according to a couple of broken parsers that had her above me somehow. Watch out, Tengetsu.

I thought what happened in ST stayed in ST. What did I ever do to you?
Aside from the months of unrelenting verbal abuse, which you have absolutely earned.

I think the key takeaway is that there was probably some dude in another alliance in there parsing, looking at the results for our group, and bemoaning to his FC on Mumble about how shitty DPS in this game is.

IvorB

Speaking of archery, I have a question for any archers/bards out there. So it looks like I have skills that are operating on different cool downs. It's possible for me to fire off a Bloodletter and, before that's even gone out, a heavy shot (for example). In this case will both attacks fire? I'm worried one of them is not going out.

Valor

Speaking of archery, I have a question for any archers/bards out there. So it looks like I have skills that are operating on different cool downs. It's possible for me to fire off a Bloodletter and, before that's even gone out, a heavy shot (for example). In this case will both attacks fire? I'm worried one of them is not going out.

Pretty much. GCD skills will operate on the GCD, and Bloodletter is off GCD, so you can fire it off between GCDs. You can't do two skills at the exact same time, but after you fire Heavy Shot, for example, you can shoot off Bloodletter once it's about halfway through the spin while still getting your next Heavy Shot/DoT/Straight Shot on the next GCD without skipping a beat. You can do this on basically every class: popping off GCD abilities inbetween your GCD spins. If the skill darkens and starts its cooldown, it's going off.

EDIT: Also there's no way I was parsing barely 300 in ST on my BLM. I like didn't even get targetted AND used Raging Strikes and it said I was only at 300, which doesn't seem possible D: Tomo lies.

scy

It's worth noting that only a few classes actually have a crafted i110 Accessory in their potential best in slot set and it's usually just a Ring. Tanks use them to get STR and VIT on a single piece so they can get away with a full set while DPS use them to get away from having no good second i130 ring (e.g., Bards).

I'm not entirely sure why you care about their ilvl, though. Them being below the ilvl of current gear is mostly a balancing thing.

I think the key takeaway is that there was probably some dude in another alliance in there parsing, looking at the results for our group, and bemoaning to his FC on Mumble about how shitty DPS in this game is.

;___;

I'm sorry that I'm a terrible person.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Last time I was in a raid with Ranketsu pretty sure he outdpsed me, go ask him!

But step 1 should probably be practice the DRG rotation on a dummy until you start hallucinating Garuda light farms. Only then can the hatred flow.

Ruruja

Is there any way to get those loading screen pictures somewhere? Some of them are lovely, but the blurry top and bottom thing ruins them.

XenoRaven

Is there any way to get those loading screen pictures somewhere? Some of them are lovely, but the blurry top and bottom thing ruins them.
Slightly related, has anyone made a first person screenshot with no UI of Bahamut after Teraflare? Because that shit looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom