• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancerotomy

Neo Member
So I just resubbed because my buddy started playing again, and saw that my Free Company just hit level 6. So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what our FC should be working on together to get some gil and land acquisition?

What do they mean by that? Crafting is very easy already.

They're adding specialization, so you pick one of the trades and I guess you get specific recipes and stuff, you can switch specialization but there's a long cooldown. Point is, you won't need to max every craft to be competitive with other people who do that and such stuff, so less hardcore in that regard.

Aselith

They're adding specialization, so you pick one of the trades and I guess you get specific recipes and stuff, you can switch specialization but there's a long cooldown. Point is, you won't need to max every craft to be competitive with other people who do that and such stuff, so less hardcore in that regard.

Ah that's cool!

Talaysen

The only thing you need to max on all crafts right now is the level for crossclass skills. Unless you can't crossclass the new level 60 skills, that's not even going to change.

We don't really have much info on the system but nothing I've heard about it seems like it'll help.

Aselith

how hard is this game to get into?

Never played but thinking about it

should i wait for expansion?

It's pretty easy. I've been playing for less than a month and I'm almost max level. I'd start playing now or maybe at least two months before the xpac drops if you're gonna so you're top level for the expansion on release. It's a pretty casual game really until (I'm assuming) you get to the big raids.

It becomes a bit of a grind from level 10-15 due to running out of stuff to do but otherwise you'll pretty much always have a bunch of stuff to do. One thing to keep in mind which is a good thing imo is that this game is not about griding on mobs. You'll want to be doing activities all the time whether that be leves, hunting log, quests, fates or whatever. You always want to be doing a thing not just wandering around killing stuff.

LowParry

I'd just like to find a static group to go raiding with a little after the expansion. Pre goals are just working on some leveling, finishing up fishing and card collecting.

Jeels

My goals -

Finish Zodiac (at 8/16 dungeon atma...not bad).

Get carried through T13. (love gaf <3)

Get Adamantoise mount (at 30K mgp right now, I doubt this will happen...)

Organize my room in the FC house...it is literally just a storage room for various furniture I've managed to get from events and stuff. I want to clean it up...

Tabris

Man they need to find a way to end the 2.55 story in an epic but also challenging way.

In FFXI, they had a boss fight that took the main boss from the previous story and gave you closure with one last (epic) fight called Apocalypse Nigh which tied all the stories together.

They need to give something that combines beating coil + beating normal game and provides closure to 1.0 to 2.55.

EDIT - Looking at old FFXI clips, this was the best looking boss and boss zone ever in an MMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvpoY4UhN8&spfreload=10. You're descending down to earth while fighting a boss. Imagine that with actual good graphics.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd like to be out of admitted hospital stay and over this pneumonia before Heavenward comes out.

Teknoman

Man they need to find a way to end the 2.55 story in an epic but also challenging way.

In FFXI, they had a boss fight that took the main boss from the previous story and gave you closure with one last (epic) fight called Apocalypse Nigh which tied all the stories together.

They need to give something that combines beating coil + beating normal game and provides closure to 1.0 to 2.55.

EDIT - Looking at old FFXI clips, this was the best looking boss and boss zone ever in an MMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvpoY4UhN8&spfreload=10. You're descending down to earth while fighting a boss. Imagine that with actual good graphics.

Tabris read my mind. Good lord that would be amazing.

dcye

Man, Answers is seriously one of the best song ever made for a game. Brilliant track.

Up there with Distant Worlds as my favourite two video game tracks of all time.

IvorB

I think it would be cool if they can have something a bit bigger than an instance battle but rather something where the whole world is involved. Like in Dragon's Dogma where, even though everyone was fighting Ur-Dragon separately, we were also working together to beat it.

This weekend the true horror of dungeon ATMA was revealed to me. I was doing Qarn HM almost the whole weekend and I got f**k all. I actually just aborted it and started playing a new class. So I started leveling archer and it's like a whole new game. :)

Tabris

I think it would be cool if they can have something a bit bigger than an instance battle but rather something where the whole world is involved. Like in Dragon's Dogma where, even though everyone was fighting Ur-Dragon separately, we were also working together to beat it.

Those are so boring and laggy in FFXIV though, see: S Rank Hunts and Odin / Behemoth.

Teknoman

Those are so boring and laggy in FFXIV though, see: S Rank Hunts and Odin / Behemoth.

I'd rather multiple large dragons in different regions near Ishgard, or just have dragons in the sky with multiple fates at once around the world... S-ranks, Odin, Behemoth, and Lightening events were the worst way to do things.

IvorB

Yeah it couldn't be just a huge pile-on. I can't remember how it was exactly but I think everyone fighting the Ur-Dragon weakened him overall. So even though you weren't actually fighting him with other people you were working together to beat him. Maybe have an instance that lot's of people need to do to weaken a boss then when he's at a certain point then you can challenge him. So you still fight him in a party of eight or whatever but it feels like everybody's involved in the same thing. Could be better than just another eight-man instance battle.

Edit: found a link to Ur-Dragon fight.

Kenai

Yeah it couldn't be just a huge pile-on. I can't remember how it was exactly but I think everyone fighting the Ur-Dragon weakened him overall. So even though you weren't actually fighting him with other people you were working together to beat him. Maybe have an instance that lot's of people need to do to weaken a boss then when he's at a certain point then you can challenge him. So you still fight him in a party of eight or whatever but it feels like everybody's involved in the same thing. Could be better than just another eight-man instance battle.

They do have server turn ins in this game already (they did for the doll quest we just had), so maybe they could do something like a DF fight with a tally leading up to a CS? I dunno. They could just put it in the story and maybe have some extra instanced visuals in Coerthas.

Firebrand

Trying to make sense of level 50 crafting is making my head spin. I appreciate that they added cheap shortcuts so I don't have to meld every single class's left side, but there's so many token things I don't know what's "obsolete" and what not. I'm also curious how people in 2.3 and earlier got past the seemingly catch-22 situation with artisan gear being 3 and 4-star?

Currently got all the accessories fully melded, and got the left side artisan gear except for the glasses... yet I'm struggling to HQ 2-star things with bouillebaise, both 40 and 80 (the 80 ones have such a long craftmanship meter even with Ingenuity, taking me 4 or 5 steps to fill - maybe PbP could help here). I haven't melded my Militia off hand though, which might be worth the investment to reduce failcrafts. Maybe I should look into a better rotation, I'm still doing the hasty touch thing: Comfort Zone, Inner Quiet, Hasty with Master's Mend II (80) or Manipulation (40) until I get down to 100-120 CP for the Steady Hand II + Great Strides + Ingenuity II (+ Innovation) + Bygot's Blessing.

Does the expansion pack come with 30 days? I want to resub to play it but it being $40 on top of the expansion pack is rough on my wallet.
Nope, it's been confirmed it does not (other than the base+expansion bundle): http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...pre-orders-bonuses-etc.?p=2852190#post2852190 . Bit pricey expansion, but goshdarnit, there seems to be so much in it I can't just not get it. Not particularly feeling the whole dragons and floating island theme, but eh.

iammeiam

That FCoB unlock can't come soon enough.

While on the one hand, yeah, on the other Final Coil spam is really the last Thing To Do until June. It'll be theoretically awesome for a week or two, but late April/May/June will be pretty dry.

I'm largely curious if they're just sticking to the timeline they drew up when Heavensward was supposed to be May, so there's unintended dead time, or what.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Considering how it's decided that you need to have cleared 2.x MSQ before proceeding with Heavensward's... well, anything really, they can't really put any big and difficult event between now and then. Definitely nothing harder than Chrysalis. I think it's pretty obvious that whatever happens at the end of the 2.x story is what prompts Ishgard to even let us in (as well as motivate the adventurer to move to Ishgard in the first place). Therefore if you make it some kind of large open world NM/FATE event, what would that mean for the future of this storyline? It would have to go away at some point, but MSQs won't. The situation here is not at all like the unique position they were in at the end of 1.23b so I honestly don't see anything larger than some kind of instanced battle (with that dragon on the Griffin Crossing in the trailer maybe?). An 8-man story raid like The Praetorium could be cool but the I dunno about the logistics of having it in the Main Scenario roulette.

suzu

So I just resubbed because my buddy started playing again, and saw that my Free Company just hit level 6. So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what our FC should be working on together to get some gil and land acquisition?

You guys can try spiritbonding and selling the materia. Maybe this link is helpful.

How the hell do you get off of a chocobo porter?

I think you can just click on the icon to remove the chocobo buff?

BadRNG

Considering how it's decided that you need to have cleared 2.x MSQ before proceeding with Heavensward's... well, anything really, they can't really put any big and difficult event between now and then. Definitely nothing harder than Chrysalis. I think it's pretty obvious that whatever happens at the end of the 2.x story is what prompts Ishgard to even let us in (as well as motivate the adventurer to move to Ishgard in the first place). Therefore if you make it some kind of large open world NM/FATE event, what would that mean for the future of this storyline? It would have to go away at some point, but MSQs won't. The situation here is not at all like the unique position they were in at the end of 1.23b so I honestly don't see anything larger than some kind of instanced battle (with that dragon on the Griffin Crossing in the trailer maybe?). An 8-man story raid like The Praetorium could be cool but the I dunno about the logistics of having it in the Main Scenario roulette.
They could make it as part of the MSQ storyline but not make it actually required to be done, it just gives a brief extra look into what was happening at that point in the story. Not sure if that makes sense. WoW did something like this for a lot of their major patches as well as the first expansion, like there was a big event where the Dark Portal was opened and you saw NPCs troops fighting back against the first wave of demons and you got to help out. After BC was actually released that was sort of removed, so you still went into the Dark Portal for the same reasons, you just didn't get the special opening event. Something similar could be done here where you take part in some aspect of the battle of Ishgard, and when expansion comes they cut down that section so all the important story bits are there, you just miss out on the timed event part. I think they should look into trimming down many aspects of the post 50 story to begin with come expansion anyway, cut out a lot of the patch story's fluff. No new player will want to play hide and seek or deliver uniforms while they could be fighting dragons in Ishgard.

Whatever they do, event or no event, I can't see any scenario where it's actually difficult content though. They have been pretty consistent on the point that the main story is meant to be easy and enjoyed, not challenging at all.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
TIL it's possible to beat Titan EX via DF.

Looking forward to starting up FF14 tomorrow and not instantly getting Wham! stuck in my head.

Orcastar

Well I just got botanist to lvl 50 yesterday, completed the lvl 50 quest and blew what little money I had on ilvl 55 botanist gear before realising that I have no idea what to do now and will probably never be able to afford the Forager gear or all the melds that you apparently need in order to gather anything worthwhile.

Well I just got botanist to lvl 50 yesterday, completed the lvl 50 quest and blew what little money I had on ilvl 55 botanist gear before realising that I have no idea what to do now and will probably never be able to afford the Forager gear or all the melds that you apparently need in order to gather anything worthwhile.

You don't need forager's gear to gather anything, except maybe Rosemary? And actually Forager's melds are really cheap. Another thing to point out is that all of the forager's gloves, pants, and shoes can be used NQ and still get the same stats as the HQ versions, you just have to meld them a little more. Sometimes you can find NQ versions really cheap on the market board which makes it worth it even though you have to meld it more.

I swear you guys really want me to play FF XI

dammit. that looks awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom