• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Morning
dedgaem.
Apparently all I do now is log in, maybe do daily quests. Run some chocobo races and wait for the weekend for coil. What are you guys doing these days?

I'm logging in to get a few more levels on my bard and do my daily LL roulette before switching over to Bloodborne so that I can whip mutherf**kers with a cane. :)

Do people think they will nerf the dungeon ATMA before expac? I've lost count of the Qarn HM runs I've done and I'm thinking to hang back and ride the nerf wave through to Zodiac if it comes.

iammeiam

We should do all tank T9.

...I could Tempered Will through divebombs! This is amazing!

Morning
dedgaem.
Apparently all I do now is log in, maybe do daily quests. Run some chocobo races and wait for the weekend for coil. What are you guys doing these days?

Hilarious bad idea things I couldn't get away with when lockout existed and clearing and loot actually mattered. WHM in coil? Suuuuure. DRG in coil? Yeah ok. Tank T10? WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!?? (everything. All the things. They all went wrong.)

Also randomly dragging people into things for 'learning' purposes.

Basically I'm wasting a bunch of people's time? But ded game so it's not like they have better things to do.

Valor

Hilarious bad idea things I couldn't get away with when lockout existed and clearing and loot actually mattered. WHM in coil? Suuuuure. DRG in coil? Yeah ok. Tank T10? WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!?? (everything. All the things. They all went wrong.)
It was good practice healing not mitigated Crit Rips. For sure. It was excellent. 10/10 would recommend to a friend of mine.

WolvenOne

All I seem to do these days is log on, make a PF for T13 learning, nobody joins, /cry and log off lol.

On Hyperion, and there seems to be less coil in PF than when it wasn't farmable.

I think a lot of people are waiting for mechanical nerfs and echo at this point.

iammeiam

WHM is Tomo's fault actually. And kind of Naji's.

It was good practice healing not mitigated Crit Rips. For sure. It was excellent. 10/10 would recommend to a friend of mine.

Yeeeah that's why I only pretend to tank once a quarter.

Also I needed those CDs for adds. Since no heals.

studyguy

You know what I just realized.
I think I'm going to be gone in Mexico for two weeks when Heavensward drops.
RIP MY PROGRESS. I literally leave the day of early access holy shit lmao

BLCKATK

I'm praying that the T13 nerf doesn't come within the next week or two. My raid group has been having trouble getting together and we had just passed Terraflare. Getting close... would love to have the fight down before nerf so I can have some dignity.

I'm praying that the T13 nerf doesn't come within the next week or two. My raid group has been having trouble getting together and we had just passed Terraflare. Getting close... would love to have the fight down before nerf so I can have some dignity.

nobody gonna know whether you beat the fight pre or post echo

WolvenOne

Oooooh man, I've been where you are. Don't worry too much about the T13 nerf, it'll probably only be the echo, and while that certainly eases up the DPS and Vit checks, it probably won't help with mechanic checks one bit.

Plus, well, your group can always click the echo off once, if you want to prove that you don't need it to clear. Granted, everybody has to agree to it and all that, but if everyone in your group feels the same...

PS: What's the Warrior HP Checks for Ahk Morns again? I had to go near full Vit on my first few T13 clears, to make life a bit easier on the healers. Soon I'd like to start transitioning back to my STR accessories, or at least swap out a Vit accessory for another crafted, so I can help push down Bakamutt before 5th Morn.

PS: What's the Warrior HP Checks for Ahk Morns again? I had to go near full Vit on my first few T13 clears, to make life a bit easier on the healers. Soon I'd like to start transitioning back to my STR accessories, or at least swap out a Vit accessory for another crafted, so I can help push down Bakamutt before 5th Morn.

A wipe that late in the fight isnt worth that risk i feel. 14 minutes ugh. At most use two STR.

Is your PLD using HG during first flatten and breath so the healers can dps? Our WHM solo heals the second flatten when i pop sentinel. Worst case, you can LB1, during first giga flare.

The pain of those last seconds wipes, why risk it man!

WolvenOne

A wipe that late in the fight isnt worth that risk i feel. 14 minutes ugh. At most use two STR.

Is your PLD using HG during first flatten and breath so the healers can dps? Our WHM solo heals the second flatten when i pop sentinel. Worst case, you can LB1, during first giga flare.

The pain of those last seconds wipes, why risk it man!

Counting the crafted accessories, all the accessories I've been using for T13 clears have Vit on them. Ideally I'd like to replace one Vit accessory with another Crafted accessory, and then swap out one Vit Acc for a Str accessory, so the total would be 3 crafted, 1 STR, 1 Vit.

Thing is, that while it's getting better both of our clears so far have been running up against the Enrage timer, and we've had a few runs that would've been clears if we'd had just a little more DPS to get down the last percentile or two. So, yeah, there's a lot to be said for not taking chances with Morns, but another 15-20DPS can also be the difference between a 1-2% wipe and a clear.

PS: and yeah, they use HG once in the first phase, and we burn the first LB for a small chunk of additional damage during the transition into second phase.

PPS: I have a large chunk of the more expensive mats to make said accessory. Only reason I don't jump into it whole hog is because of the Materia. Though, thinking about it, I suspect at least Vit 4's have dropped since I last pentamelded an accessory, as people aren't really doing progression anymore.

Counting the crafted accessories, all the accessories I've been using for T13 clears have Vit on them. Ideally I'd like to replace one Vit accessory with another Crafted accessory, and then swap out one Vit Acc for a Str accessory, so the total would be 3 crafted, 1 STR, 1 Vit.

Thing is, that while it's getting better both of our clears so far have been running up against the Enrage timer, and we've had a few runs that would've been clears if we'd had just a little more DPS to get down the last percentile or two. So, yeah, there's a lot to be said for not taking chances with Morns, but another 15-20DPS can also be the difference between a 1-2% wipe and a clear.

PS: and yeah, they use HG once in the first phase, and we burn the first LB for a small chunk of additional damage during the transition into second phase.

PPS: I have a large chunk of the more expensive mats to make said accessory. Only reason I don't jump into it whole hog is because of the Materia. Though, thinking about it, I suspect at least Vit 4's have dropped since I last pentamelded an accessory, as people aren't really doing progression anymore.

Our Warrior was around 10.5k hp when we first cleared, and he didn't have full i130 left side or anything like that. So I would say around there should be fine. As long as you have your sch healing you, you should be fine because thrill of battle + lustrate = ez pz ahk morns

Tash

Wow, we finally figured out that one person gets a different debuff through megaflare and thus much more damage that has to be shared..

scy

Not much reason to go above 10.5k HP in Defiance for T13, 11k as an upper limit; hell, I don't even use full Fending as PLD MT. And, realistically, if you die during Akh Morn with proper cooldowns, it's just a healer not healing issue. It can't crit. There's no other damage happening. It's pretty much just push the healing buttons over and over until it ends. It's entirely about solving the math around it and not about narrow windows of execution or tight timings.

That said, err on the side of what your healers want since your HP pool is more a resource for them than it is you.

WolvenOne

I've been surviving the Gigaflare Ahk Morn lately, but I usually end it with about 4000hp, and that is with thrill of battle putting me up at 14000+ hp, aaaand with me using Second Wind and using Infuriate to fire off a second Inner Beast.

The healers are getting better, but I've got to be a bit careful.

Stuart444

So I've been watching a lot of T9 vids recently. At this point, I think I have the whole fight in-grained mostly in my head (or at least the pattern for P1 - 3). Now it's just about putting it into practice.

Probably going to try DFing it in the next few days for some practice.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I found that the trick to Akh Morn is spamming Cure III then spamming the button that asks the bard to manasong.

studyguy

I found that the trick to Akh Morn is spamming Cure III then spamming the button that asks the bard to manasong.

Eddie-Murphy-Is-Not-Sure-About-His-Approval-Head-Nod.gif

This is like the trick I found to using Hallowed Ground in clutch situations. If you smash your keyboard or controller with enough force it'll ping the servers faster. Truest protips.

I dont think mary or I have ever had a death to akh morn since we first started getting to them. It always the damn twister hit + breath + auto attack in the span of 2 seconds were my butt is clenched.

WolvenOne

I dont think mary or I have ever had a death to akh morn since we first started getting to them. It always the damn twister hit + breath + auto attack in the span of 2 seconds were my butt is clenched.

Yes, I've noticed that this particular combination of attacks is kinda brutal. XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Coming back to questionable localization decisions - because there just haven't been enough of those - it was brought to my attention that Summoner's relic, the name of which has been bugging me for the longest time, is actually a preservation of a somewhat infamous mistranslation of a grimoire of the same name from Final Fantasy Tactics - and should be Oeilvert.

Which makes infinitely more sense.
What doesn't is why the fuck they saw fit to reference an old ass mistranslation. It's like if a new Castlevania game unironically recreated the "Die, monster" dialogue for no reason other than the translator wanting to go "Us, nerds right?" at the audience. Or if coming across an ill guy we'd be greeted by a character telling us that this guy are indeed sick.

And don't tell me it's lore preservation or anything, because lore preservation reasons don't restrict them from plugging the game choke full of random pop culture references and in-jokes because it's more MMOey that way.

Je devrais apprendre le francais. At least French localization team doesn't disrespect their players so much.

I feel sorry for that bard.
'twas a joke.

WolvenOne

For people that are entirely caught up on raid progression, and have little interest in side projects, yeah the game is a bit underwhelming for them right now.

Speaking personally, I have some side projects I'm interested in, so I'm fine. Also, for people that aren't caught up, the game isn't dead at all, and that's something like 92% of the games population.

That said, I'll probably play other games more frequently come May. I may have side projects, but I can tackle most of them while playing casually.

Incidentally, said projects are.

Finish Farming FCOB for missing BiS pieces and alt gear.

Help get some friends of mine caught up on Raid content.

Fully level crafting and gathering classes, get a few respectably geared.

Pony Farm

Get the blasted Allagan Heavy Coat out of T9.

Dragoon Zodiac, for glamour.

Earn enough Gil to buy a Medium house.

Torture Galen with puns.

Tash

You know multiple people get that icon?

Well, two to five (four, not sure) get the Megaflare stack icon but one is slightly different. Or you mean there can be more than one that is different? The damage gets shared but ONE person gets more damage than the others and if just one doesn't properly stack with the one with more damage that one person most likely will get one shot while the others still will survive. (even if that person had more hp than the others). It happened to use a few times on Monday, we had one person (with higher HP than the others still share the damage but they got one shot because they didn't share their damage with everyone that was supposed to stack) - if that makes any sense.

We tested it today and voila - no issues with weird one shots any more.

scy

Yeah, there is one person that gets much more damage from the ring and that person also has a slightly different target icon. We never noticed that until today.

I feel like one thing needs to be clarified: The targeting rings only indicate who needs to stack to soak it. Only one person in that group is the target of the attack. Like, if there are four rings and none of them stack, only one of them will die.

It's simply a set damage attack that then splits the RawDamage by the number of targets. That value then goes through all the mitigation checks rather than it doing it based off the person targeted (e.g., target has B4B up, not everyone eats 25% more damage).

Tash

I feel like one thing needs to be clarified: The targeting rings only indicate who needs to stack to soak it. Only one person in that group is the target of the attack. Like, if there are four rings and none of them stack, only one of them will die.

It's simply a set damage attack that then splits the RawDamage by the number of targets. That value then goes through all the mitigation checks rather than it doing it based off the person targeted (e.g., target has B4B up, not everyone eats 25% more damage).

Aha, yeah that makes sense and certainly explains why stacking properly and tightly fixed our problem.

Ken

Well, two to five (four, not sure) get the Megaflare stack icon but one is slightly different. Or you mean there can be more than one that is different? The damage gets shared but ONE person gets more damage than the others and if just one doesn't properly stack with the one with more damage that one person most likely will get one shot while the others still will survive. (even if that person had more hp than the others). It happened to use a few times on Monday, we had one person (with higher HP than the others still share the damage but they got one shot because they didn't share their damage with everyone that was supposed to stack) - if that makes any sense.

We tested it today and voila - no issues with weird one shots any more.

I think all the stack icons are the same unless there's some subtle difference that denotes the actual target out of all the other stack targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom