• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

Maybe someone can help with this: since about three weeks or so I have really annoying freezes in coil. They range from a few seconds up to 10 and I have no clue why. I set all graphics settings to as low as I can, tried pingzapper and other funnels and made sure all my drivers are up-to-date. It's starting to really, really annoy the hell out of me. T12 farming today was freaking hell. T13 basically ends up me being frozen for up to 10 seconds or more and then the game speeds up to catch up (chat and everything works fine and I can move around and cast - just nothing actually gets applied).

T12 was not as bad with constant slight freezes.
I am at the end of my knowledge. I don't think it's an ISP issue since we didn't change anything from our side..I guess I should check with them anyway? It's getting to the point of unplayable :/

Apoptomon

Is ST the best place to get sands/oils of time?

Coming back to questionable localization decisions - because there just haven't been enough of those - it was brought to my attention that Summoner's relic, the name of which has been bugging me for the longest time, is actually a preservation of a somewhat infamous mistranslation of a grimoire of the same name from Final Fantasy Tactics - and should be Oeilvert.

Which makes infinitely more sense.
What doesn't is why the fuck they saw fit to reference an old ass mistranslation. It's like if a new Castlevania game unironically recreated the "Die, monster" dialogue for no reason other than the translator wanting to go "Us, nerds right?" at the audience. Or if coming across an ill guy we'd be greeted by a character telling us that this guy are indeed sick.

And don't tell me it's lore preservation or anything, because lore preservation reasons don't restrict them from plugging the game choke full of random pop culture references and in-jokes because it's more MMOey that way.

Je devrais apprendre le francais. At least French localization team doesn't disrespect their players so much.
Oh. That would explain why the associated title is "Green Eyes". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was someone who "are sick" - this game has "Morbols" after all. I know very little about localisation, but you have to remember that the only time the word Oeilvert has been used in the series in English is for FFIX, whereas Wiyu is used in both Tactics and Tactics A2 for a book so maybe that sets precedence and avoids confusion. But then again they went with Fire 2 instead of Fira etc for the same reason ("so people don't confuse different tiers with different spells") and some would have you think they made it more confusing by doing so.

iammeiam

T12 was not as bad with constant slight freezes.
I am at the end of my knowledge. I don't think it's an ISP issue since we didn't change anything from our side..I guess I should check with them anyway? It's getting to the point of unplayable :/
You're getting lag spikes--if you can move/cast, your system is running just fine, communication is getting interrupted. My understanding is that this is usually a routing issue--not your personal connection being bad, but somewhere between you and Montreal your packets are getting dropped occasionally. This is still generally considered an ISP issue because it may be the providers your ISP is using (Level3 being the big offender IIRC?), but isn't something they can send a truck out or swap your hardware to fix.

If you're on PC you can try WTFast; I've heard it helps. I've sporadically had this problem in FCoB--nothing like holding your breath and hoping the game catches up before Blackfire or Megaflare goes off--but it's been a while since it was a daily thing for me. There was a week or two a while back where instances were borderline unplayable, but it eventually cleared up.

Dinjooh

Trying to make an account and i'm stuck at the confirmation code screen. I've tried three different emails but none of them seems to go through; any help?

xxczx

Trying to make an account and i'm stuck at the confirmation code screen. I've tried three different emails but none of them seems to go through; any help?
I signed up for Yahoo for the confirmation then changed to my actual email later.

Wow, such bads!

To be fair I thought you were all going in i80 - that's be more fun. All of us already know you're a good healer, Korra. :3

It was supposed to be for fun! But apparently only Galen wants to jump on board with the all i80 or lower part members attempt. Such sadness at this server.

If we're throwing out desperate ideas for ways to kill time: Permadeath coil. Start at T1, rezzes not allowed. If you die in a turn you are dead not only for that turn, but the remainder of the run. You queue in and go sit in the wall/do nothing on any or all subsequent turns, see how far a random GAF group can get before it is a lost cause. I'd guess T4, with all but like 2 people dead by the end of T3.

...you could theoretically do the same thing with EX primals I guess.

Angary...sometimes I like the way you think. It's not always, but sometimes. Except, let's do perma-death challenge through ALL of coil, T1-13. And the Primal Gauntlet. Every EX primal, but random order, you die you stay dead.

How about all healer T9 i.e. Korra soloing it.

Galen would find a way to mess up hate and cause me to die or somebody would hit me with thunder right before claw and ruin it.

Redx508

is this a sign? XIV coming to xbox

eDr6f5N.jpg

ebil

Is ST the best place to get sands/oils of time?

Oh. That would explain why the associated title is "Green Eyes". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was someone who "are sick" - this game has "Morbols" after all. I know very little about localisation, but you have to remember that the only time the word Oeilvert has been used in the series in English is for FFIX, whereas Wiyu is used in both Tactics and Tactics A2 for a book so maybe that sets precedence and avoids confusion. But then again they went with Fire 2 instead of Fira etc for the same reason ("so people don't confuse different tiers with different spells") and some would have you think they made it more confusing by doing so.
Ironically, it was never even a thing in the French localization for FF9, as for some reason (maybe because of the character limits, maybe just because they did a lousy job) they chose to change the place's name to "Euyver" which would roughly have the same pronunciation without the meaning. FFT was never localized so that reference is essentially lost to the French players.

Shamdeo

Coming back to questionable localization decisions - because there just haven't been enough of those - it was brought to my attention that Summoner's relic, the name of which has been bugging me for the longest time, is actually a preservation of a somewhat infamous mistranslation of a grimoire of the same name from Final Fantasy Tactics - and should be Oeilvert.

What doesn't is why the fuck they saw fit to reference an old ass mistranslation. It's like if a new Castlevania game unironically recreated the "Die, monster" dialogue for no reason other than the translator wanting to go "Us, nerds right?" at the audience. Or if coming across an ill guy we'd be greeted by a character telling us that this guy are indeed sick.

And don't tell me it's lore preservation or anything, because lore preservation reasons don't restrict them from plugging the game choke full of random pop culture references and in-jokes because it's more MMOey that way.

Je devrais apprendre le francais. At least French localization team doesn't disrespect their players so much.

I think, for the sake of your own health, you should probably find another game to play.

I just got this game a little while ago (on PS4 by the way), and it finally got done updating. I was about to finish creating my character, but the servers for most of the worlds are filled. The game says if I wait a while, they may let me in. So I think I'll start playing later tonight when not many people are on.

Regardless, I'm planning on going the Rogue class first. I like the skills that it has, so I want to try it out.
Only thing I know about the game, is what I played out of the free trial. So everything after lvl20 will be new to me. I'm gonna read up on what's in the OP, while I wait for these servers to kick in.

Noi

I was pretty surprised at my MGP loot for tournament participation (I was on the board for a while until I got knocked out), but then I had to do a double take to see if I got the things I thought I got from these packs.

YYkVIYq.png

Guess I'm never skipping a tournament.

Shamdeo

I was pretty surprised at my MGP loot for tournament participation (I was on the board for a while until I got knocked out), but then I had to do a double take to see if I got the things I thought I got from these packs.

YYkVIYq.png

Guess I'm never skipping a tournament.

Oh wow, sounds like I should probably do these then.

BadRNG

Damn you got some nice cards, I got 2 Shiva and an Ultima weapon from my platinum packs. 20k mgp still nice though.

Xux

'twas a joke.
Eh, I like The Veil of Wiyu better.

Tash

You're getting lag spikes--if you can move/cast, your system is running just fine, communication is getting interrupted. My understanding is that this is usually a routing issue--not your personal connection being bad, but somewhere between you and Montreal your packets are getting dropped occasionally. This is still generally considered an ISP issue because it may be the providers your ISP is using (Level3 being the big offender IIRC?), but isn't something they can send a truck out or swap your hardware to fix.

If you're on PC you can try WTFast; I've heard it helps. I've sporadically had this problem in FCoB--nothing like holding your breath and hoping the game catches up before Blackfire or Megaflare goes off--but it's been a while since it was a daily thing for me. There was a week or two a while back where instances were borderline unplayable, but it eventually cleared up.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I REALLY appreciate it since the freezes are getting incredibly irritating. What I don't get is that I never had the issue before (other than the usual latency stuff with no servers here in Europe). I am using pingzapper which is (I think?) similar to WTFast. iirc - I tried WTFast but it actually created more issues than it helped.

Like you, I had a few hiccups here and there but that was ages ago and like with you, it cleared up by itself.

Made the switch from WHM to SCH. Finally cracked the 120 barrier as well.

Now to take on t9. :p

Anyone here on Exodus, by the way?

Did the same ages ago when we only had the first coil and my static needed a SCH. Never looked back, as a matter of fact, I find playing WHM really boring compared to SCH :p

I did T 10 and T11 below i120, you should be more than fine for T9.

And a better race

Yup, just say no to catgirls, too :p

On other news: ONLY TWO MORE DAYS TO THE NEW CG TRAILER! HYPE!

English players have only known "Oeilvert" as a place. Meanwhile, "Veil of Wiyu" is always a book. Even in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 and War of the Lions where the translation quality is much better. When the intent of FFXIV is expressively to reference elements of past games, I think it's obvious which name they should choose for a book.

And it's less about lore preservation and more about familiarity, and I think keeping to tradition while forsaking accuracy has its merits. Else we'd all be protesting the use of "moogle" instead of "moguri".

Also, honest question: why does "Oeilvert" makes infinitely more sense than "Veil of Wiyu", anyway?

WolvenOne

Honestly, hope FCoB farms don't end quite yet. I could deal with not getting any of the T13 weapons, (mildly disappointing but, meh,) but I REALLY want my Tank pants, and I've got a couple BiS Dragoon pieces that I want. Plus, Dragoon Spear, I'm planning on getting a Longinus eventually, but I really don't want to pay for full Crit/Determ.

Granted, I'm in a slightly different spot here then a lot of people.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
English players have only known "Oeilvert" as a place. Meanwhile, "Veil of Wiyu" is always a book. Even in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 and War of the Lions where the translation quality is much better. When the intent of FFXIV is expressively to reference elements of past games, I think it's obvious which name they should choose for a book.

And it's less about lore preservation and more about familiarity, and I think keeping to tradition while forsaking accuracy has its merits. Else we'd all be protesting the use of "moogle" instead of "moguri".

Also, honest question: why does "Oeilvert" makes infinitely more sense than "Veil of Wiyu", anyway?

Because the summoner lady that wielded the book had green eyes. In Japanese, that's her name, Oeilvert, and the book is called after her, all in a reference to the Oeilvert in Tactics. She also was Elezen so it makes sense that she had a French-y nickname.
I can get behind the tradition argument but then there's Cherry Blossom, I mean, Chaos Thrust.

dramatis

Because the summoner lady that wielded the book had green eyes. In Japanese, that's her name, Oeilvert, and the book is called after her, all in a reference to the Oeilvert in Tactics. She also was Elezen so it makes sense that she had a French-y nickname.
I can get behind the tradition argument but then there's Cherry Blossom, I mean, Chaos Thrust.
Over something that obscure?

rnE90.gif

Come back when you're working in localization at Square Enix.

plake

Over something that obscure?

rnE90.gif

Come back when you're working in localization at Square Enix.

lol! Localization is a pain indeed. I can't imagine localizing something as FFXIV without having to make compromises/mistakes, especially with the rich lore from other games such as the example shows.

Dunan

Because the summoner lady that wielded the book had green eyes. In Japanese, that's her name, Oeilvert, and the book is called after her, all in a reference to the Oeilvert in Tactics.

This is the correct answer; there was an entire sound novel in FFT about her (which you can find online; translated by some incompetent hack); she was an assassin in a French Revolution-like state and it fit very well into the FFT's world. The writers of the sound novel clearly knew enough French for "green eyes" to be the intention; there is also some wordplay involving "deux ans" (two years) and "...de sang" (of blood).

I can't possibly blame this game's jaw-droppingly-amazing translators for missing a thing or two, but I do wish they had not "doubled down" on a previous mistake that doesn't even have the benefit of being funny, like a lot of the 1990s Woolseyisms are.

(In before "why do you care?": I'm a professional J <> E translator.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom