• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oeilvert_1.png

This is the only Oeilvert I know!

iammeiam

Oh ffs psn. Well Chocolate wanted to watch the Kenshin live action movie anyways I guess.

As long as you're logged in before 6PDT/9EDT you should be fine? It mostly keeps the launcher from checking patch version; once you're in the game PSN doesn't matter.

Basically as long as your people log in before raid time you guys should be able to go. It's just the logging in ten minutes late that might be a thing.

aceface

As long as you're logged in before 6PDT/9EDT you should be fine? It mostly keeps the launcher from checking patch version; once you're in the game PSN doesn't matter.

Basically as long as your people log in before raid time you guys should be able to go. It's just the logging in ten minutes late that might be a thing.

Oh you're right, I had my time zones mixed up. We'll see who makes it in before psn goes down.

Xux

I think Koji is trolling Frumix on purpose. ;)
Probably.

I wonder what they're gonna call the Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent in Japan, though, since they already used the Ultima Weapon name.

I also wonder if they're gonna make a new model for it or just take a bronze behemoth and slap a city on its back.

XenoRaven

My main character is actually my alt because I have a legacy character that I imported to a server that my friends weren't on. So instead of transferring again I just made a brand new one. Maybe I'll transfer my old one to Ultros...

BadRNG

Are we allowed to have Alt's in the FC as we level? That reduced teleportation cost would be helpful...
Yeah, a bunch of people have alts in the FC. Only time it'd be an issue is if we run out of FC space for new people, but we are no where near there anymore.

Eh? It's not so bad.

Mind you, I end up just ignoring a lot of the finer mechanics, but I don't think I've ever wiped, and that's far more of a time waster than long halls or whatnot.

I don't know why but tanks ragequit this particular dungeon so much. I guess it's super boring for them?

WolvenOne

I don't know why but tanks ragequit this particular dungeon so much. I guess it's super boring for them?

Well, a little. None of the boss fights seem to involve tanks in any way other than really basic ways.

Thing is though, I do dungeons when I want something to do, but don't feel like working through anything challenging. So bring basic isn't a problem, since I'm mostly there to chill anyway.

Is it possible to send messages to people in different servers?

I just got back on since bloodborne came out and something has happened with my free company:(

Cømet

Banned
I don't suppose any folks are playing Zodiark? I hear it's not the best server to play on right now, but hey it's the recommended for UK peeps...

Got two buddies to play with, but more are always welcome and I'd like to start my own clubhouse at some point. Didn't think I'd get so into this to be honest!

Because the summoner lady that wielded the book had green eyes. In Japanese, that's her name, Oeilvert, and the book is called after her, all in a reference to the Oeilvert in Tactics. She also was Elezen so it makes sense that she had a French-y nickname.
I can get behind the tradition argument but then there's Cherry Blossom, I mean, Chaos Thrust.

Yes, I disagree with Cherry Blossom --> Chaos Thrust, too. However, it is important to consider that translators also need to judge every element of a text by their own merits. Them deciding to appeal to tradition on one part doesn't mean that it's an ironclad rule to apply on absolutely everything.

I think, at least in this particular case, it's a bit reaching to suddenly accuse them of disrespecting the players, or having an obsession to insert *wink-wink-nudge-nudge* lines. Which doesn't really make sense, anyway: unlike something like "this guy are sick," the Veil of Wiyu is hardly, nay, never a meme.

This is the correct answer; there was an entire sound novel in FFT about her (which you can find online; translated by some incompetent hack); she was an assassin in a French Revolution-like state and it fit very well into the FFT's world. The writers of the sound novel clearly knew enough French for "green eyes" to be the intention; there is also some wordplay involving "deux ans" (two years) and "...de sang" (of blood).

Be that as it may, if the goal was to reference a grimoire in Final Fantasy Tactics (and of course it is, yar?), "Oeilvert" is a reference most of English players would never get.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Because the summoner lady that wielded the book had green eyes. In Japanese, that's her name, Oeilvert, and the book is called after her, all in a reference to the Oeilvert in Tactics. She also was Elezen so it makes sense that she had a French-y nickname.
I can get behind the tradition argument but then there's Cherry Blossom, I mean, Chaos Thrust.

The American versions of FF Tactics never got the Sound Novels that included Oeilvert.

Also

pfUha5m.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yes, I disagree with Cherry Blossom --> Chaos Thrust, too. However, it is important to consider that translators also need to judge every element of a text by their own merits. Them deciding to appeal to tradition on one part doesn't mean that it's an ironclad rule to apply on absolutely everything.

This isn't a singular case. There's a lot, a lot of small steps like that taken here and there, some good, some bad, and some outright confusing. Forget Oeilvert, there's some things that just can't be defended, like destroying the Megaflare joke in Battle on the Big Bridge, or ruining the image of a Scholar as a tactician by translating their spells as some sort of clergy skillset.

dcye

This isn't a singular case. There's a lot, a lot of small steps like that taken here and there, some good, some bad, and some outright confusing. Forget Oeilvert, there's some things that just can't be defended, like destroying the Megaflare joke in Battle on the Big Bridge, or ruining the image of a Scholar as a tactician by translating their spells as some sort of clergy skillset.

Why don't you just play in a JP client?

frumix should start his own static w/ 7 other ppl and instead of raiding should bemoan all the translational errors instead of raiding. Probably have a better time. He then should write blog posts on his website and link them to the official forums where probably more ppl care there. You got part of it down

for real I doubt ppl care that much. Im not orgasming at all these lore translations for games I havent played in 10 years

Shamdeo

You know dude, why don't you bring up stuff like this on the official forums if that bothers you so much? There are plenty of mistakes they've routinely acknowledged and corrected from players pointing them out, whether it's spelling, grammar, loc, or just functionality... so it's not like it's an environment that's hostile to suggestion.

A recent example:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-new-Titles.?p=2894525&viewfull=1#post2894525

Tash

I tried WTFast for a quick WoD yesterday to gather some info from their monitor.

It seems it improves my 10 sec ping and average ping by 20% (from around 150 down to 120)
Additionally it listed around 20 lost packages that it helped me with in the course of around an hour of play time. That seems great but I am no pro and have no clue about the math behind it all.

In a side-note: that much packet loss is kinda bad or is that normal?

I'm feeling the sting of trying to farm yet another set of dungeon atma for my Ragnarok. I guess the biggest benefit this time around is being able to farm lights at the same time, but low and behold I'm already 0/19-20 :/

If it hadn't been for a friend making me an entire right side of i110 plat accessories for less than 1.5mil I would be making an Apocalypse right now I think. Still deciding how to meld this fending ring out at the moment other than the max STR part >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom