• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolkien

I just spent 4 hours trying to complete Steps of Faith... not fun as an healer. I hope I'll get it down eventually I wanna continue my story :(

I'm finding this guide very helpful, gonna save it for later. I love how bis has a bunch of crafted gear...sure beats farming Final Coil too much.

Careful farming for that FCOB dragoon set. It has a fatal flaw in that things get a bit Hellraiser if you cross your arms:

HtZgyUL.jpg

Good morning all,

Just wanted to drop in here and say that I lurk a lot here but haven't posted to this thread to my knowledge. My fiancée and I play on Cactuar and have since launch of ARR. We are both legacy members and while I'm a GAF member, she is also a lurker. We played pretty hard from the launch of ARR until we quit just after 2.1 released. There was some FC drama involved but we had cleared around Turn 3 or 4 at the time and just didn't feel like continuing.

In anticipation of Heavensward being released this summer, we re-subscribed a few weeks ago to work our way through things that we have missed since we left (MSQ wise, Crystal Tower, other Coil Turns, etc.).

Mostly, I wanted to stop in here and gush because I have been working hard to push my Summoner to be a high enough item level to go through Crystal tower. As of a few days ago, I reached ilvl 106 and had a full set of ilvl 100 and 110 accessories as well as all of the BLM/SMN gear from Syrcus Tower (also 110 weapon from tomes). Last night, I made my first delve into World of Darkness after having mentally prepared myself by watching various tactics videos, etc. It is probably old hat to many of you by now given how much it has been run to death I'm sure, but I wanted to stop in and say how incredible that place is to me. I'm still feeling terrific the next morning about how amazing it has been that Yoshi-P and his team were in recreating basically the entire climactic chapter of FFIII in the world of Eorzea. The attention to detail was meticulous and the musical arrangements of classic FFIII songs being included throughout the story and the dungeons gave me the goosebumps.

This is the first time in a lot of years, I felt like I didn't have anything to say "You know, you could have done this better" in regards to something Square Enix has done. To me, it satisfied me completely. It was accurate on the whole with both nostalgic and plain fun boss fights and mechanics.

Sorry for the ramble, but I just had to share my feelings.

Dunan

This isn't a singular case. There's a lot, a lot of small steps like that taken here and there, some good, some bad, and some outright confusing. Forget Oeilvert, there's some things that just can't be defended, like destroying the Megaflare joke in Battle on the Big Bridge, or ruining the image of a Scholar as a tactician by translating their spells as some sort of clergy skillset.

Could you tell us about these? At first, I occasionally loaded up the Japanese version just to see what the original lines were for some of the really good dialogue and text, but am getting lazy (and there's so much content to do). What was the Megaflare joke? What were the scholar's spell names? (I quite liked one of the quest names, Gakumon no susume 'On Encouraging [People to] Learn', which is a reference to a book by the great late 19th-century scholar Yukichi Fukuzawa, who is on the Y10,000 bill. Fukuzawa is an absolute legend.)

And if I can answer on others' behalf on why not just play the Japanese version, it's because playing this game in its beautifully-translated English is better than the original. But that doesn't mean that there are no improvements that can be made. ^_^;

XenoRaven

Good morning all,

Just wanted to drop in here and say that I lurk a lot here but haven't posted to this thread to my knowledge. My fiancée and I play on Cactuar and have since launch of ARR. We are both legacy members and while I'm a GAF member, she is also a lurker. We played pretty hard from the launch of ARR until we quit just after 2.1 released. There was some FC drama involved but we had cleared around Turn 3 or 4 at the time and just didn't feel like continuing.

In anticipation of Heavensward being released this summer, we re-subscribed a few weeks ago to work our way through things that we have missed since we left (MSQ wise, Crystal Tower, other Coil Turns, etc.).

Mostly, I wanted to stop in here and gush because I have been working hard to push my Summoner to be a high enough item level to go through Crystal tower. As of a few days ago, I reached ilvl 106 and had a full set of ilvl 100 and 110 accessories as well as all of the BLM/SMN gear from Syrcus Tower (also 110 weapon from tomes). Last night, I made my first delve into World of Darkness after having mentally prepared myself by watching various tactics videos, etc. It is probably old hat to many of you by now given how much it has been run to death I'm sure, but I wanted to stop in and say how incredible that place is to me. I'm still feeling terrific the next morning about how amazing it has been that Yoshi-P and his team were in recreating basically the entire climactic chapter of FFIII in the world of Eorzea. The attention to detail was meticulous and the musical arrangements of classic FFIII songs being included throughout the story and the dungeons gave me the goosebumps.

This is the first time in a lot of years, I felt like I didn't have anything to say "You know, you could have done this better" in regards to something Square Enix has done. To me, it satisfied me completely. It was accurate on the whole with both nostalgic and plain fun boss fights and mechanics.

Sorry for the ramble, but I just had to share my feelings.
Glad you enjoyed it. As someone who has next to no knowledge of FFIII, I felt the Towers were done really well in terms of atmosphere and music. Fun boss mechanics too, when you can actually get 23 other people on board to do them correctly. Although healing is more fun when people are messing up.

Glad you enjoyed it. As someone who has next to no knowledge of FFIII, I felt the Towers were done really well in terms of atmosphere and music. Fun boss mechanics too, when you can actually get 23 other people on board to do them correctly. Although healing is more fun when people are messing up.

Yeah, getting everyone to do the mechanics correctly (even simple ones...World of Darkness' boss mechanics are easier to me than the other two, but eh) is sometimes a struggle, but as you say, the atmosphere and music was on point. There's so many tiny details that can go unnoticed if you haven't played FFIII before, so I'm glad I played it on the DS version a handful of years back.

I think my favorite one is that the entrance to Crystal Tower from the outside (just after the destroyed elemental golem sentries) looks just like the crystal that was on the title screen of the NES version:

yH9tYdQ.png

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Could you tell us about these? At first, I occasionally loaded up the Japanese version just to see what the original lines were for some of the really good dialogue and text, but am getting lazy (and there's so much content to do). What was the Megaflare joke? What were the scholar's spell names? (I quite liked one of the quest names, Gakumon no susume 'On Encouraging [People to] Learn', which is a reference to a book by the great late 19th-century scholar Yukichi Fukuzawa, who is on the Y10,000 bill. Fukuzawa is an absolute legend.)

And if I can answer on others' behalf on why not just play the Japanese version, it's because playing this game in its beautifully-translated English is better than the original. But that doesn't mean that there are no improvements that can be made. ^_^;

Adloquium 鼓舞激励の策 → Encouragement Tactic
Succor 士気高揚の策 → Inspiration Tactic
Lustrate 生命活性法 → Revitalization Method
Sacred Soil 野戦治療の陣 → Field Treatment Camp
Leeches 生命浄化法 → Cleansing Method
Galvanize 鼓舞→Encouraged
Embrace 光の癒し→ Light's Solace
Lily (fairy's name) リリーベル→ Lilybell

Megaflare joke was like... In Battle on the Big Bridge trial, Gilgamesh is wielding a spear Pradamante which looks exactly like Nael van Darnus's Bradamante, but of course is merely a replica continuing the Excaliboor/Excalipoor joke. Gilgamesh attempts to cast Megaflare (Which is a signature move of Darnus, as a servant of Bahamut), but all that comes out is a Dragonfire Dive-alike, which prompts him to go "Oh no, this isn't the strongest of spears!"
Calling Megaflare out is completely gone in English dialogue just like Shiva calling out Diamond Dust is gone from hers and the latter is probably an attempt to de-anime the script, but Gilgamesh fight is a joke trial, come the hell on.

Knowing Team Ninja, I'm more worried about seeing her in motion....

FFXIV already has boob physics!

studyguy

Scholar's JP names always made much more sense to me after going through the job quest.
Didn't know the fairy was Lilybell in the JP client. I like that a bit better.

Dunan

Galvanize 鼓舞→Encouraged

Those originals are excellent (I confess to never having used the word 鼓舞 kobu 'encourage', presumably using drums and dancing, before). They seem to tell you a lot more about what the effects are than the English names. I only just got the Scholar job and am still picking up the basic skills.

I still don't get why the fairy is called "Eos", which means "Them" in Latin. And what language is "Egi" (which is attached to some of the summons)?

Gilgamesh attempts to cast Megaflare (Which is a signature move of Darnus, as a servant of Bahamut), but all that comes out is a Dragonfire Dive-alike, which prompts him to go "Oh no, this isn't the strongest of spears!"

Would have liked to see that stay in, but the Gilgamesh content is funny enough the way it is now.

As is the Hildibrand content, which is a laugh a minute; I'm having great fun playing it. Ultros has shown up (important tip for added enjoyment: read his lines in the accent of Joe Pesci from Goodfellas) and the English dialogue is just beautiful. I can't wait to see where this story leads!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I still don't get why the fairy is called "Eos", which means "Them" in Latin. And what language is "Egi" (which is attached to some of the summons)?

Eos is the Greek goddess of the dawn...
Oh yeah, while we're on that page, 2.3 dungeon sets are actually named after Greek gods! Divine Harvest (healer) is Demeter, Divine War (tank) is Ares and so on. This, of course, is preserved in the French version. This is kinda change that I agree with because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Eorzea to have items named after Greek mythology, but Selene and Eos exist so whatever?

dramatis

What happens when you get overly fixated on language, is that you miss the forest for the trees. Eos and Selene are Greek goddesses of the dawn and the moon respectively. Their last sibling is actually Helios.

Ironically "egi" is supposedly Latin but Google says it means Effective Gross Income, which is good enough for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Egi means "To act"

I do, act, make.
I accomplish, manage, achieve.
I perform, transact.
I drive, conduct.
I push, move, impel.
I guide, govern, administer.

Dunan

Eos is the Greek goddess of the dawn...
Oh yeah, while we're on that page, 2.3 dungeon sets are actually named after Greek gods! Divine Harvest (healer) is Demeter, Divine War (tank) is Ares and so on. This, of course, is preserved in the French version. This is kinda change that I agree with because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Eorzea to have items named after Greek mythology, but Selene and Eos exist so whatever?

Eos is Greek! I knew Selene was related to the moon but I never picked up on Eos. Serves me right for assuming that Latin-loving Square-Enix would stick to that language all the time.

I think if we can have all those primals named for real-world mythological figures, we can let the Greek names stay.

Now here's one that's absolutely amazing in English compared to the original. I actually declined the reward, reset the game, loaded it up in Japanese, and watched the scene again, just so I could find out what the original was: at one point in Vesper Bay (in northwest Thanalan; the town where the Scions establish their base), you have to deliver some goods to a lalafell, and she counts them up by saying, "yan, tan, tether...", which come from the Brittonic languages of rural England.

I had learned these words (in this amazing book) and eagerly loaded up the original, hoping to hear some numbers in the language of a tiny Okinawan island perhaps, only to hear near-standard Japanese.

But what a great thing for the translators to put in! Now even someone with no interest in Wales or Scotland or Brittonic languages could easily guess what the words mean, so, as obscure as they are, they're not off-putting in the least.

I wish a book would be published containing all this game's names and content, with all four languages side by side. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Valor

Thank god for that.
Racist

TOO BAD YOU DOWNGRADED TO CAT. Bye kawaii giraffe.
RACIST
Galvanize 鼓舞→Encouraged
Nah bro, these names are hot garbage. I much prefer the english names for the abilities. They don't make a whole lot of sense with literal translations. I think it fits the Scholarly motif better with them being forms of treatment that aren't as "magically inclined". Then again, I suppose it would be much easier to say "Revitalization Method me!" Rolls off the tongue like poetry.

Nah bro, these names are hot garbage. I much prefer the english names for the abilities. They don't make a whole lot of sense with literal translations. I think it fits the Scholarly motif better with them being forms of treatment that aren't as "magically inclined". Then again, I suppose it would be much easier to say "Revitalization Method me!" Rolls off the tongue like poetry.

Playing devil's advocate to the bolded here, but if those were the names of the spells in the English version, I have no doubt that people would just say "Vita me!" or some other colloquialism. Similar with the Sacred Soil, if it were the literal translation, I expect a lot of "FTC HERE!!".

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Scholars are tacticians. Yeah, they manipulate aether through arcanima just like arcanists do, so technically they are magic users, but the image they were going for is different. It's not any more confusing than, say, why relic weapon for Scholars involves a book of stratagems for example. I'm pretty sure Japanese have some kinda shorthand method to refer to each one of those and so would we, like how people call Adloquium "adlo", or Sacred Soil just "soil". Generally I'm not against the translations applied because they give or take mean the same thing the original does, with obvious exceptions of sacred soil and leeches, as those are totally off the mark. These are definitely not wordings I would use, they're there to show the meaning.

scy

Generally I'm not against the translations applied because they give or take mean the same thing the original does, with obvious exceptions of sacred soil and leeches, as those are totally off the mark.

Honestly, I think "Field Treatment Camp" sort of misses the mark as well as to what the spell even does: Mitigates damage. I guess you could make some argument about Field Treatment being about preventing (further) damage but it's fairly loose.

But ... I don't get why "Leeches" is seemingly a problem to people? Or is it just a case of not fitting the class? "Cleanse" would probably have been better I guess but they already used it, sort of, with Lustrate. "Leeches" gets the meaning across fine, too.

studyguy

Field Treatment Camp is straight up dumb.
But lets be real, the SCH quests all mention tactics, strategy, plans, etc.

The JP names at least follow through with this

Dunan

Honestly, I think "Field Treatment Camp" sort of misses the mark as well as to what the spell even does: Mitigates damage. I guess you could make some argument about Field Treatment being about preventing (further) damage but it's fairly loose.

Field Treatment Camp is straight up dumb.

The word 陣 doesn't have to be an actual camp; it's often used in video games for a (possibly magically protected) circle or area. "Paling" is a popular word for this these days.

scy

That doesn't help if the point is about "name -> effect" correlation. "Field Treatment" sort of misses the mark anyway as the effect is lowering incoming damage.

I don't think anybody cares about the "Camp" part of it.

studyguy

The word 陣 doesn't have to be an actual camp; it's often used in video games for a (possibly magically protected) circle or area. "Paling" is a popular word for this these days.

No worries, not gonna stress 1:1 translations. Sometimes they simply don't work, taking liberties is fine in my book. I don't really care too much anyhow, but I do like a lot of the naming conventions the JP side uses for SCH either way.

scy

No worries, not gonna stress 1:1 translations. Sometimes they simply don't work, taking liberties is fine in my book. I don't really care too much anyhow, but I do like a lot of the naming conventions the JP side uses for SCH either way.

"Inspiration Tactic" being the group form of the spell that gives the "Encouraged" buff is pretty good, actually. \o/

But I think the English names are fine and far better at random use in conversation / voice chat which is ultimately the most important part imo.

Basically, everyone just wants the live letter tomorrow to be happening already.

So we can "discuss" all the localization mistakes of the trailer?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom