• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwShucks

So doing some more searching I think I've found my answer. Mostly doable solo, need parties for some story dungeons but there is a system in place to match make.

I might give the trial a try and see if I want to go ahead with it.

WolvenOne

First, I'm of the mindset that you don't need to justify 2.0 sidequests in the expansion. I'm the kind who would rather wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Second, Alexandrite is gated in the relic questline. You need to finish Animus books to acquire Alexandrite. Making that into something that is now sought after for means outside of relic progression is silly because you're going to end up alienating a decent chunk of the player base. If I'm a new player in 3.0 who is just starting out, I'm not going to get my old relic, get a zenith, get an atma, do 9 animus books so I can start farming out Alexandrite so I can craft new accessories or gear with it.

I just find that as a proposal with no clear understanding of how game progression should work. It's okay to throw away items you don't have a use for anymore. It's okay to make Alexandrite simply something that is used in a Relic Quest that people probably won't bother with when Heavensward comes out. Just because a small group of people have access to a large quantity of it doesn't mean that the game has to justify the fact that they farmed out that much of an optional and niche material.

Edit: I can understand making the stuff tradeable so that people who want it can get it from people who don't, but making it have a progression-based usage seems like a waste of time to me.

Well, first, the slate isn't being wiped, "entirely," clean. They're already using some of the old content as a means of padding out the new content. Thus why new jobs start at 30 instead of 50.

Second, I get what you're saying about Alexandrite quests and drops being gated, but it seems to me that simply removing that Gate and making the quests/drops, etc available immediately upon hitting fifty solves that; as does making it a tradable item.

Third, it isn't entirely because there's a backlog in this case. Additionally, making it tradable helps anyone still working on Relic come expansion time finish it quickly. Aaaaand also, because Alexandrite is supposed to be a legendary material to make jewelry, so using it to make accessories prevents the lore people from having to pull yet another legendary ore name out of their behinds; at least for awhile.

Yes I know, that might seem like a silly reason to do it, but still!

Edit: In my mind if you're going to make it tradable there should be some other use for it in there. Making accessories just seems the obvious use, since that ties into the materials lore.

scy

I'm already sad that I end up being the highest DPS in most of the parties I try. I'm a BRD with a 110 weapon :( . And I play Foe's every time for casters. Seeing the WAR at the top made things worse.

Playing Foe's doesn't do anything to your damage, for the record.

Well, first, the slate isn't being wiped, "entirely," clean. They're already using some of the old content as a means of padding out the new content. Thus why new jobs start at 30 instead of 50.

Reusing old content is one thing but reusing things that you could have a farmed stock of is another. That alone is probably the most likely reason for them to not be used.

Besides, all they really have to do is call it "Pure Alexandrite" or something to keep "Alexandrite" in the name without reusing an old item.

Valor

Second, I get what you're saying about Alexandrite quests and drops being gated, but it seems to me that simply removing that Gate and making the quests/drops, etc available immediately upon hitting fifty solves that; as does making it a tradable item.

Third, it isn't entirely because there's a backlog in this case. Additionally, making it tradable helps anyone still working on Relic come expansion time finish it quickly. Aaaaand also, because Alexandrite is supposed to be a legendary material to make jewelry, so using it to make accessories prevents the lore people from having to pull yet another legendary ore name out of their behinds; at least for awhile.

Yes I know, that might seem like a silly reason to do it, but still!
I'm talking about endgame slate. Nothing prior to 60 is going to matter in the long run, just the way of gearing up at 60. So basically, the endgame slate is being wiped entirely clean.

Removing the gate and making it tradeable makes me question why you wouldn't just make it a new gatherable item in its stead. Why should I need to gather an old mat for new items? Especially one that you need to remove random restrictions on to make it pseudo-viable?

It's all super silly and easily replaced by adding in new materials. Those are my reasons why {/no}

The eagle in your avatar isn't even crying. No vote for you.
Eagles don't need to cry when they know that their victory is assured. Don't you want to be on the right side of history?

Redx508

if you make me the Airship Captain free Pumpkin cookies for all

oprahyouandyouandyoulego.gif

WolvenOne

Reusing old content is one thing but reusing things that you could have a farmed stock of is another. That alone is probably the most likely reason for them to not be used.

Besides, all they really have to do is call it "Pure Alexandrite" or something to keep "Alexandrite" in the name without reusing an old item.

See, that was the only reason I could think of not to use it. Even then, I figured that requiring multiple Alexandrite per-accessory would bleed out most the pre-existing stock and make it moot.

Still while I'm certain there are ways to mitigate the problem; this is still a legit reason.

I'm talking about endgame slate. Nothing prior to 60 is going to matter in the long run, just the way of gearing up at 60. So basically, the endgame slate is being wiped entirely clean.

Removing the gate and making it tradeable makes me question why you wouldn't just make it a new gatherable item in its stead. Why should I need to gather an old mat for new items? Especially one that you need to remove random restrictions on to make it pseudo-viable?

It's all super silly and easily replaced by adding in new materials. Those are my reasons why {/no}

Two things. First, I specified that this would work as a lvl59 accessory; so it'd be less a progression accessory and more something used for Spiritbinding.

Second, the reason I figured there would need to be a second use is that the material would have essentially zero Gil value day one without another use. Maybe that is fine, but I rather dislike how many items on the board essentially have zero value.

Especially Fish, if my retainer brings me another gosh darned fish!!!!

iammeiam

PUG T10 seems so much easier than PUG T11, I'm surprised to hear differently. T10 you really only need a few people who can handle tether/charge properly. T11 requires everyone to be able to dodge.

FCCCCCCoB (we added a lot of corpses this weekend) has had okay success with completely blind people in 10.

WolvenOne

Welcome to a game that has vertical progression.

Stalkhawk, why do you assume that I don't understand this? Of course items used to progress at early levels wouldn't be worth anything once most players are at or near endgame. I don't mean to be snippy here, but you're awfully eager to jump at people for what you perceive to be their areas of ignorance. While it's been cute from time to time; it's starting to get old now.

Again, I don't mean to be snippy. I just feel that you should know that this isn't as endearing as you seem to think it should be.

Jayhawk

Stalkhawk, why do you assume that I don't understand this? Of course items used to progress at early levels wouldn't be worth anything once most players are at or near endgame. I don't mean to be snippy here, but you're awfully eager to jump at people for what you perceive to be their areas of ignorance. While it's been cute from time to time; it's starting to get old now.

Because your numerous attempts at game design decisions show you don't understand and that shit also gets old? Perception is reality here. Who is trying to be endearing here?

WolvenOne

Because your numerous attempts at game design decisions show you don't understand and that shit also gets old? Perception is reality here.

First, I've actually been trying to reduce my presence on the OT somewhat, just to give people a bit more space. If I have to remove myself completely because you find my presence intolerable, that's something I'll need to consider.

Second, I see no issue with batting around some occasional hypothetical game design. I also see no issue with being wrong. Being on the wrong side of a discussion is a good learning experience, and so long as you're learning I figure it is worthwhile.

Third, what else are you guys going to talk about? Threads half dead son!

Fourth, even if you have a point you're still being very rude.

Jayhawk

First, I've actually been trying to reduce my presence on the OT somewhat, just to give people a bit more space. If I have to remove myself completely because you find my presence intolerable, that's something I'll need to consider.

Second, I see no issue with batting around some occasional hypothetical game design. I also see no issue with being wrong. Being on the wrong side of a discussion is a good learning experience, and so long as you're learning I figure it is worthwhile.

Third, what else are you guys going to talk about? Threads half dead son!

Fourth, even if you have a point you're still being very rude.

You are free to post whatever you want. There are no issues with being wrong, just expect people to point it out. Being rude was intentional.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
[22:26]Something bites!
[22:27]You land a giant takitaro measuring 108.1 ilms!
[22:27]Data on the giant takitaro is added to your fish guide.
[22:27]You have set a new personal record for Lakes!
[22:27]You sense something larger than even a great takitaro!
[22:27]You apply a topwater frog to your line.
[22:27]You cast your line at Urth's Gift.
[22:27]Something bites!
[22:27]You land a namitaro measuring 215.9 ilms!
[22:27]Data on the namitaro is added to your fish guide.
[22:27]You have set a new personal record for Lakes!

Well holy god damn, praised be the RNGesus. First window, first buff.

WolvenOne

You are free to post whatever you want. There are no issues with being wrong, just expect people to point it out. Being rude was intentional.

People already pointed out areas of concern with that particular piece of design direction. They did so without being half as rude about it. I understand that not everyone shares my sense of decorum; but please understand that when you're rude towards me you gradually remove my incentive to be polite towards you.

I would like to keep discussion on the OT pleasant; so please keep this in mind.

Sorry for the questions FF XIV GAF but I have a few questions about this game

I played the beta awhile back and seeing as this game has progressed so much since then (that and I have more free time on my hands) I'd like to ask a few questions

1. If I purchase this game on Steam do I get the other platform versions?

2. I heard this is cross play..... so my character is usable on all 3 platforms correct?

3. Are expansion packs extra money or are they included in the subscription?

4. How do I purchase my subscription via the PC.... is there a simple way of buying them via steam?

there is some metaphor that involves bad leaders and galen but i dont know what it is yet,

Sorry for the questions FF XIV GAF but I have a few questions about this game

I played the beta awhile back and seeing as this game has progressed so much since then (that and I have more free time on my hands) I'd like to ask a few questions

1. If I purchase this game on Steam do I get the other platform versions?

no

2. I heard this is cross play..... so my character is usable on all 3 platforms correct?

yes

3. Are expansion packs extra money or are they included in the subscription?

you have to buy the expansion, but your subscription should last however long you put on

4. How do I purchase my subscription via the PC.... is there a simple way of buying them via steam?

I believe everybody has to use mogstation to add money to the subscription

Croyles

The real question on everyone's mind is: Will Heavensward have a size/emote glitch?

Also CD reset at wipe.

Lastly, Galen is a terrible parent/businessman how can he be a leader?

Thanks for the reply

some few extra questions

1.Is the expansion a standalone?

2.Is there any useful guide for beginners like me? EDIT: Scratch the guide stuff..... the OP will suffice ;)

WolvenOne

Thanks for the reply

some few extra questions

2.Is there any useful guide for beginners like me?

1: No, you'll need the base game. However they'll be including the base games in most copies of Heavensward, i THINK.

2: Well, yeah there are plenty of guides, but most of them are level 50 guides. However, in game there are tool-tips on how to do the basic actions that'll be expected of you while leveling. If you need additional information players themselves should be able to offer you advice.

scy

Guys ... please.

Thanks for the reply

some few extra questions

In addition to it not being standalone, you also need to complete the entire story (1-50 content and the 2.0-2.55 patch stuff) for access to the Expansion stuff.

also, hi

^^^^
Thanks Guys

1.When they say "Game Time" cards (particularly the 60 day one) does that mean game hours rather then regular days (without or with playing the game)?

2. This link for the expansion shows some pricing
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/
FINAL FANTASY XIV Online

Platform Product Name Price

PlayStation®4
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV Online $59.99
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV Online (Digital Download)

PlayStation®3

Windows®
Mac
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV Online (Digital Download) $59.99

this 59.99 one includes the expansion correct?

If so does that mean when the expansion does release it would just download it for me..... or is this some preorder thing where I can't play the main game until the expansion release?

Hasney

^^^^
Thanks Guys

1.When they say "Game Time" cards (particularly the 60 day one) does that mean game hours rather then regular days (without or with playing the game)?

2. This link for the expansion shows some pricing
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/

this 59.99 one includes the expansion correct?

If so does that mean when the expansion does release it would just download it for me..... or is this some preorder thing where I can't play the main game until the expansion release?

Misread.

Yeah, that includes both but it isn't released until the expansion is I don't believe, so you'll wait until June to play.

60 real life days.
I wonder why that is more expensive then their other options which are more days (granted that one is purchasable via a retail store)
No, that's the RRP for the base game right now.
mmmm does this include anything special seeing as the Steam one is cheaper..... Edit:
Misread.

Yeah, that includes both but it isn't released until the expansion is I don't believe, so you'll wait until June to play.

Oh okay thanks

might actually wait if that bundle doesn't allow you to play the base game in the meantime

Hasney

I wonder why that is more expensive then their other options which are more days (granted that one is purchasable via a retail store)

mmmm does this include anything special seeing as the Steam one is cheaper..... Edit:

Oh okay thanks

might actually wait if that bundle doesn't allow you to play the base game in the meantime

Looking at it, you can get FFXIV right now on Amazon for $20 and then Heavensward is $40. Would work out the same price and no waiting to play.

iammeiam

Can I be Rickon in this? Lost and forgotten after awhile?

If anything, you work for the Iron Bank keeping tally of every single penny owed, rattling off debts and lording your power over the rest of us. Who don't care because lol accountants.

Bend the knee, Fays. Save yourself the struggle and bend the knee.

I'm torn between refusing to swear fealty to a humorless would-be ruler nobody wants and making a "potatoes have no knees" joke.

#TeamTommen2015
#SerPounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom