• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

I'm super hyped for DRK in 3.0. At first I wasn't feeling it but thinking about it I want to give it a shot. WAR is fine but I'm not feeling it like I am PLD and DRK seems interesting to me at least right now while it's still a mystery.

Also looking forward to pewpew. I'm hoping I can piggy back pewpew off of my friend's yugioh as I have a feeling he'll want to level the third healer to see how it plays (Urlala lurvs dem heals).

scy

The bottom line is that most people feel PLD is easier to learn on because they have cooldowns for days and have a passive that lets them take less damage.

The thing is, as far as main defensive cooldowns are concerned, it's actually not like Paladin has that many more defensive buttons than a Warrior. I mean, it's really Bulwark and Awareness and even those compare against Foresight and Bloodbath. Rampart/Sentinel are basically "matched" with Thrill/Vengeance in terms of how defensive rotations work out. Storm's Path as an upkeep and Inner Beast as a GCD one exist on top of all those as well.

Zomba13

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I fully await for YoshiP to fuck SMN brutally once they realized they made them half decent.

"SMN was a mistake" - YoshiP

I'm eagerly awaiting "We are working on more summons for SMN" and then 3 years passing and then getting 2 on a 2hour cooldown from the last expansion.

It may not be exciting, but it's effective as hell.

I know. Someone crunched the numbers a while ago. I'm just saying I wouldn't mind if they ended up nerfing it to work in new stuff somehow. There's no indication that that is or will be the case so there's really no point in me speculating on that possibility I guess.

studyguy

This is why I said early on I don't expect the PLD attack combo to change potency since if it did, Sword Oath + the new combo would put up wacky tank DPS numbers.

Sword Oath is baller as fuck.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If I didn't main a DPS class I would play and love the hell out of Warrior. They're such a fun mix of DPS style rotations and defensive mumbo jumbo. But I stuck with Paladin as a reprieve from all that. I like to be able to insta-queue for 90% of the content in the game and AFK tank. I hope they don't get too many more buttons to push from 50-60.

So, I just resubscribed to this. I would like to get caught up on the storyline and do a few misc things before the expansion hits.

Apparently the Artifiact Weapons have a bunch of upgrades now? I have the Spharai Zenith for Monks. Are the other upgrades going to be super difficult to get before the expac? Should I bother?

Those Rogue animations are aces.

studyguy

So, I just resubscribed to this. I would like to get caught up on the storyline and do a few misc things before the expansion hits.

Apparently the Artifiact Weapons have a bunch of upgrades now? I have the Spharai Zenith for Monks. Are the other upgrades going to be super difficult to get before the expac? Should I bother?

Those Rogue animations are aces.

AF weapons aren't hard. Like none of it is ever difficult, just time consuming. If you're at Zenith you have quite a ways to go. Next step is Atma.

Atma --> Animus --> Novus --> Nexus --> Zodiac --> Zeta

All of it can be cleared with ease, you just need to grind long enough. Personally unless you're super invested in them. I would just skip them. Just aim for a poetic weapon if you don't care enough to grind. Hell a soldiery weapon or a weapon from Shiva would hold you over if all you want to do is catch up.

AF weapons aren't hard. Like none of it is ever difficult, just time consuming. If you're at Zenith you have quite a ways to go. Next step is Atma.

Atma --> Animus --> Novus --> Nexus --> Zodiac --> Zeta

All of it can be cleared with ease, you just need to grind long enough. Personally unless you're super invested in them. I would just skip them. Just aim for a poetic weapon if you don't care enough to grind. Hell a soldiery weapon or a weapon from Shiva would hold you over if all you want to do is catch up.

Thanks for the information. I want to do more research but I'm at work and my resources are kind of limited at the moment.

Didn't they introduce some sort of transmog-esque thing for weapons and armor in FFXIV? Can I use the artifacts for that?

studyguy

Thanks for the information. I want to do more research but I'm at work and my resources are kind of limited at the moment.

Didn't they introduce some sort of transmog-esque thing for weapons and armor in FFXIV? Can I use the artifacts for that?

Yep. Most anything can be glamored into looking like something else.
ALL ARMOR CAN BE GLAMORED INTO BIKINIS BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT LEWD CATS DO.

Unfortunately you can't glamor your weapon into a bikini. Though I'm sure some cats have tried.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Here's some pages to check out:

Outline of the entire Relic/Zodiac weapon quest line

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Zodiac_Weapon

Info on glamours

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Glamour

Took me about 3 months to do the entire relic weapon, playing pretty hardcore. You could probably finish it before the expansion comes out but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. i130 weapons are available now for the (relatively) low cost of 3 weeks worth of Poetics. Soldiery weapons (i110 and far better than your Zenith) are even easier to get, and honestly can get you thru most of the content currently in the game.

Unfortunately you can't glamor your weapon into a bikini. Though I'm sure some cats have tried.

You can hide weapon when it's sheathed though, that way it won't clash horribly with your bikini.

Here's some pages to check out:

Outline of the entire Relic/Zodiac weapon quest line

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Zodiac_Weapon

Info on glamours

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Glamour

Took me about 3 months to do the entire relic weapon, playing pretty hardcore. You could probably finish it before the expansion comes out but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. i130 weapons are available now for the (relatively) low cost of 3 weeks worth of Poetics. Soldiery weapons (i110 and far better than your Zenith) are even easier to get, and honestly can get you thru most of the content currently in the game.

Awesome, thank you.

And you as well, Studyguy.

I'm gonna talk to my team and see how they want to proceed with everything. I can probably do it all as a side project later provided they don't remove the content when the expac hits.

Not all cats wear bikinis.

Only weapon you should be glamoring to is the moogle ones so you can annoy people with moogle sounds.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Slot in what you like (STR STR STR STRONK), take out the useless stats (LOOKING AT YOU PARRY)

Basically, you get to trade some VIT from full i130 Fending to get 18 STR on a piece. So -6 VIT, +18 STR and you can tailor them to the Accuracy or whatever secondaries you need.

<looks at gil wallet> I'm going to bet I can't afford these accessories. lol

Apoptomon

Apologies if this's been brought up already, but I didn't see anything when I skimmed the last few pages.
Some people who ordered Heavensward from SE's European digital store recently got another pre-order code email, and this is what SE has to say about it:
SE Moderator Kahuna said:
Hello everyone,
We are aware that some users who pre-ordered Heavensward have received a second Early Access Code email on 16th April, possibly containing one or multiple new Early Access Codes. This only affects users who have pre-ordered on the EU Square Enix Store (http://store.eu.square-enix.com), and does not affect users that have pre-ordered on the Square Enix Boutique (for France) or the North American Square Enix Online Store. It also does not affect users who have ordered via third party retailers, such as Amazon or Green Man Gaming.
These codes have been sent out in error, and there is a chance they will not work properly. We have identified all users that received a second mail and will rectify this situation as soon as possible. Just to repeat -
If you have not received a second mail, you are not affected.
New pre-orders after 21:20 BST on Thursday 16th April 2015 are not affected.
Pre-orders from outside the EU Square Enix Store are not affected.
Everyone affected will receive a third and final mail with valid Early Access codes (depending on the amount of pre-ordered copies) in the near future, and any codes sent prior to the third mail will be invalidated.
We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion caused.

TL;DR: if you're in this situation, you're gonna get yet another code.

Item Box

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I fully await for YoshiP to fuck SMN brutally once they realized they made them half decent.

"SMN was a mistake" - YoshiP

cQzCI4R.gif

WolvenOne

What I've been learning is that any Tank-based mechanic has a cast bar. If it has a cast bar, you can IB it. The thing is that there's really just a small window where dropping IB doesn't help you in any what whatsoever for mitigation. I mean, even if you drop IB after a hit, you're still leeching back health you lost and mitigating any auto attacks or whatnot that follow. As you learn a fight as WAR you can time the IB more accurately and not buttclench. Not like Thrill of Battle is hard to use if you get scared.

The bottom line is that most people feel PLD is easier to learn on because they have cooldowns for days and have a passive that lets them take less damage. There's plenty of math out there saying that this is a wrong way to think about it, but whatever. Theory versus reality. WAR isn't harder to learn content on. The skill level of the average WAR is the problem.

This is how you get demoted.

You're not wrong. On the whole the two classes are pretty comparable. That said, I will once again reiterate that you do have to be a bit more careful about timing when it comes to Inner Beast, since it's on the GCD. Most of the time this doesn't make much of a difference, because outside of Coil the Tankbuster moves we've seen have been relatively forgiving for a long while. In the bulk of fights, if you miss Inner Beast you can mash Thrill of Battle and that'll probably save you from the mistake. Heck, even in Coil this can often save you.

However, in fights with strict mitigation checks, blowing CD's early can make life more difficult later on. So just mashing Thrill of Battle or Vengeance isn't always an option. Again, not a major difference, PLD's just have slightly more options when it comes to purely reactive mitigation.

Also, full context, this argument arose when a PLD, who had just barely reached 50 on WAR and ran a few trials with it, started talking smack about people that play the class. Specifically asserting that people were full of crap when they insist that the class is more involving.

<looks at gil wallet> I'm going to bet I can't afford these accessories. lol

Go to xivdb.com. Look up the materials needed to make the accessories. Write them down somewhere. Go to the marketboard, check the prices for these items, and slowly gather them as you can afford them. Then find a friend who can craft them for you.

Honestly if you're patient, getting the accessories themselves isn't bad. The, "real," walletbuster is getting them affixed with materia later. <_<;;

Teknoman

You're not wrong. On the whole the two classes are pretty comparable. That said, I will once again reiterate that you do have to be a bit more careful about timing when it comes to Inner Beast, since it's on the GCD. Most of the time this doesn't make much of a difference, because outside of Coil the Tankbuster moves we've seen have been relatively forgiving for a long while. In the bulk of fights, if you miss Inner Beast you can mash Thrill of Battle and that'll probably save you from the mistake. Heck, even in Coil this can often save you.

However, in fights with strict mitigation checks, blowing CD's early can make life more difficult later on. So just mashing Thrill of Battle or Vengeance isn't always an option. Again, not a major difference, PLD's just have slightly more options when it comes to purely reactive mitigation.

Also, full context, this argument arose when a PLD, who had just barely reached 50 on WAR and ran a few trials with it, started talking smack about people that play the class. Specifically asserting that people were full of crap when they insist that the class is more involving.

Late night thought: Would've been a real twist if Dark was dps, Astro was tank, and Gadget was healer.

Go to xivdb.com. Look up the materials needed to make the accessories. Write them down somewhere. Go to the marketboard, check the prices for these items, and slowly gather them as you can afford them. Then find a friend who can craft them for you.

Honestly if you're patient, getting the accessories themselves isn't bad. The, "real," walletbuster is getting them affixed with materia later. <_<;;

I kinda want to get into crafted accessories at some point since I want to be the best whatever I can be. Of course, thats if there arent any major plans for materia system changes/additions come Heavensward.

I've been learning SMN recently (I main BLM, levelled ACN using SCH in low-level roulette) and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it, so I'm looking forward to™ seeing what they do with it in the expansion. (That AF gear is pretty awesome too.)

At first, I found it very hard to get away from the BLM mindset of HUGE EXPLOSIONS, but now that I've spent a bit more time practising with it, SMN's style of doing consistent damage over the course of a fight rather than huge spikes has its appeal too, and Fester crits are nice for keeping you from getting bored watching DoT timers. :V

Pro-tip for practising a new class that you've got to 50 but don't really know how to play: once you've got the hang of the basics on a striking dummy, queue up for Ramuh HM and practise there. You now have a giant striking dummy with occasional AOEs and 7 adds trying to mess you up. \o/

I have under 500k. most of which will go on raid food.

I'm mega poor!

What food do you use?

WolvenOne

I kinda want to get into crafted accessories at some point since I want to be the best whatever I can be. Of course, thats if there arent any major plans for materia system changes/additions come Heavensward.

Eh, crafted accessories made now won't be relevant into expansion for more than the first 2 to 3 levels.

Valor

You're not wrong.
I get the argument. Guy is shitting on WAR and saying it's not hard to learn fights as WAR. You say he's biased because he knows the fight already so he has an advantage. I say that he's completely right. People underestimate Warrior because people who play Warrior typically play it poorly.

You consistently bemoan IB being on GCD, but it really isn't a big issue. It's better being on GCD than off because you have it at your beck and call. Rampart isn't. IB is WAY better than Shield Oath is because it mitigates and heals you, which is even further mitigation or can be used as a post-big-hit-healer-helper&#8482; [patent pending].

Still don't agree? Paladin's Stun is on GCD and Warrior's is off GCD. Which stun is better? Exactly. Inner Beast is the exact same thing. Its short duration makes it something you need decent enough timing for. It's spot mitigation instead of a long term mitigation. It's a trade off you get for having something freaking awesome, like the 150 TP cost of Shield Bash is the trade off for that on GCD stun. Checks and balances.

Finally, mitigation.
Shield Oath, Rampart, Sentinel, Convalescence, Awareness, Bulwark, Foresight, Hallowed Ground, Halone (Str Down)
Defiance, Inner Beast, Vengeance, Convalescence, Awareness, Thrill of Battle, Foresight, Holmgang, Storm's Path (Dmg down)

Mitigation is basically point for point with the edge going solidly to Hallowed over Holmgang for obvious reasons. I would argue Paladin's mitigation is completely preventative and Warrior's mitigation is reactive. The dirty little secret is that WAR and PLD mitigation is essentially exactly the same with the biggest edge (I feel) being Inner Beast because of Bloodbath + Berserk + Infuriate making it absolutely amazing.

Also who cares what Plebidans think about Warriors?

edit: Forgot to add this

LiQuid!

Can't wait for all the new bikini waifus looking like Shireen Baratheon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom