• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper88

Uhm.. They speak about an extra pally rotation.

I'll bet my ass it will apply the same debuff as WAR does with eye combo so when you run PLD/DRK you won't have to miss it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've got my PLD to 50, finished the level 1-50 main quests, and finished off my class quests to get my AF(?) armour, which I think looks awful on my character sadly. I also love how i managed to miss every boss battle in the duty for that last mission because I was watching the cutscenes and as such everyone else just kept going, it was like 20mins of cutscenes and finished.

So where do I go from here? I know I've got the rests of the main quest line to go and I assume I'm going to need better stuff to finish them off and before the expansion. So what should I be doing now over the next couple months before the expansion hits to be ready and finish off the rest of the story content? Where should I be getting my armour and weapons from, I've noticed this other currency was introduced in the last few levels, soldiers or something, I assume that is what I going to gather next?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Raen better have mind or they won't be able to sway my miqo'te damashii

So I've got my PLD to 50, finished the level 1-50 main quests, and finished off my class quests to get my AF(?) armour, which I think looks awful on my character sadly. I also love how i managed to miss every boss battle in the duty for that last mission because I was watching the cutscenes and as such everyone else just kept going, it was like 20mins of cutscenes and finished.

So where do I go from here? I know I've got the rests of the main quest line to go and I assume I'm going to need better stuff to finish them off and before the expansion. So what should I be doing now over the next couple months before the expansion hits to be ready and finish off the rest of the story content? Where should I be getting my armour and weapons from, I've noticed this other currency was introduced in the last few levels, soldiers or something, I assume that is what I going to gather next?

Every duty at level 50 gives varying amount of soldiery and poetics, which are used to buy gear in Mor Dhona. Your want to raise your item level to at least 90-100 (90 is the bare minimum required to clear the storyline). To that end, you should unlock every optional dungeon, Crystal Tower series of raids as well as the starting phase of the relic quest. Finishing the MSQ should be your general priority as it's a prerequisite to go into Heavensward content and at that point it will be even grounds for everybody more or less. For more detailed guidance I suggest you read this list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HxICNH__f_qtlJTqPRmm8-zhohbz0HON_Mr7mutQEuc/edit

Hasney

This was a good guide back when I needed it for a previous patch:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HxICNH__f_qtlJTqPRmm8-zhohbz0HON_Mr7mutQEuc/edit

Tiops

Ugh... I really, really like my BRD, but I'm already missing the Tank role. I'm working on my WAR atm too, but I'm already seeing myself changing to DRK as main on Heavensward.

One of the great advantages of changing to DRK is to escape from all the terrible DRKs we are going to get on Duty Finder. We already have lots of people creating MRD and getting surprised when they discover it's a tank, imagine with a edgy knight with big swords and dark skillz D:

Stuart444

Another day of hullbreaker. Capped out on Sol, 70 more poetics til I cap (from doing nothing but Hullbreaker).

This is truly hell. In the meantime, I've watched Alice right next to me get her hullbreaker, Qarn HM, HMHM and Sastasha HM drops.

All while I've been doing Hullbreaker.

Suffering.

Another day of hullbreaker. Capped out on Sol, 70 more poetics til I cap (from doing nothing but Hullbreaker).

This is truly hell. In the meantime, I've watched Alice right next to me get her hullbreaker, Qarn HM, HMHM and Sastasha HM drops.

Suffering.

To add more salt to his wounds, I just got my lost city of amdapor drop in one run.

:( Can someone please affix my luck to Jade so he can get out of hullbreaker?

Tiops

Do we know anything about changes in the loot system in Heavensward? Because it's already hard enough to get drops for your class. Adding three more types of weapons to the raids is going to make things worse...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Do we know anything about changes in the loot system in Heavensward? Because it's already hard enough to get drops for your class. Adding three more types of weapons to the raids is going to make things worse...

Alexander SM is going to utilize some sort of different loot system (no details given, but probably partially tokenized), Alexander NM is probably just RNG since it's CT model for the loot. Primals were described as having token drops akin to Shiva dropping Diamond Dust.

Sorian

Banned
Alexander SM is going to utilize some sort of different loot system (no details given, but probably partially tokenized), Alexander NM is probably just RNG since it's CT model for the loot. Primals were described as having token drops akin to Shiva dropping Diamond Dust.

This naming convention isn't going to work for me at all. From my time in other games, SM is story mode and NM is nightmare mode.

Dinjooh

So I've been playing this game with the misses for around two weeks by now and we're slowly approaching level 30. Over all this time there have been some (possibly very stupid questions) popping up, which I haven't been able to find an answer for.

Is there a way to auto-dismount when you use attacks?
We're both so accustomed to this in WoW that's it's really annoying have to dismount before being able to attack.

Is there any way to boost graphical settings even further? Via macros or the like.

What are the orange pins on the map for?

There's probably gonna be a ton more questions, but I can't remember any of them atm.

studyguy

Is there a way to auto-dismount when you use attacks? We're both so accustomed to this in WoW that's it's really annoying have to dismount before being able to attack.

Nope.

Is there any way to boost graphical settings even further? Via macros or the like.

Ingame, config is it. Outside of the game, it depends on what you want exactly.
SweetFX can do something for color saturation. Downsampling makes everything look incredibly nice if you can manage it. I personally run 1440p. DX11 is coming in 3.0, so that will help in this department.

ZKzWXjv.gif

...Orange pins? In housing areas they mean owned homes. Orange pins in the field... I'm blanking out. Aren't geographical landmarks pointed out by orange pins or something in the field? I don't think it was important things iirc

Dinjooh

Is there a way to auto-dismount when you use attacks? We're both so accustomed to this in WoW that's it's really annoying have to dismount before being able to attack.

Nope.

Ingame, config is it.
Outside of the game, it depends on what you want exactly.
SweetFX can do something for color saturation. Downsampling makes everything look incredibly nice if you can manage it. I personally run 1440p. DX11 is coming in 3.0, so that will help in this department.

...Orange pins? In housing areas they mean owned homes. Orange pins in the field... I'm blanking out.

Oh right, forgot about downsampling - will try.

It's these ones i'm talking about:

c6vfgUR.png

studyguy

Oh right, forgot about downsampling - will try.

It's these ones i'm talking about:

c6vfgUR.png

Yeah they're just like landmarks or small inconsequential inns.
You might have a quest that tells you to go there, but otherwise it's just a general landmark that has no impact on you.

iammeiam

Valor

GAF attempting this when?

I'll make popcorn and we can take bets on how high repair bills get before everyone realizes it's too hard.

or solo tank T10! If adds can be solved for it should be doable! Just. Something!
Solo Tank T13 is more entertaining, I think. The dodgy part is definitely the tethers. It was kind of humorous watching the dps drop like flies in the last phase.

I doubt GAF has the kind of ability to pull off anything like this, unfortunately.

Suffering.

So, I know it's technically all RNG, and it's pointless looking for "patterns," but... I've found that I get a dungeon atma on the first run every time when I come back to the game after a break of a day or two. I know, it's probably just luck...

Stuart444

So, I know it's technically all RNG, and it's pointless looking for "patterns," but... I've found that I get a dungeon atma on the first run every time when I come back to the game after a break of a day or two. I know, it's probably just luck...

It is tempting to do that <.< but yeah damn RNG :(

I've now capped Poetics since my last post. ;_;

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Suffering.

Guy in my FC is doing his dungeon atma at the same time as me. He will do 2 dungeon runs a day and manage to get a drop every single day without fail. I'll sit down with a pile of podcasts and Taylor Swift albums and do 15 runs in a row and get nothing but a migraine from dealing with i35 DPS in Amdapor for the umpteenth time. We started at the same time and he's got I think 6 more drops than I do at about 1/4 of the time investment.

Final Fantasy Fourteen.

WolvenOne

I get the argument. Guy is shitting on WAR and saying it's not hard to learn fights as WAR. You say he's biased because he knows the fight already so he has an advantage. I say that he's completely right. People underestimate Warrior because people who play Warrior typically play it poorly.

Missing the exact argument again. The argument being, that you need to know the rotation of a boss well to take full advantage of Inner Beast. Yes it's an amazing defensive maneuver, but if you're attacking when a shorter cast bar starts going off the 2+ second wait is probably gonna prevent you from using it.

Yes, you can use it again and again. I don't know why you keep bringing that up, that isn't relevant to the argument. The argument isn't whether or not Inner Beast is amazing, it's about how easy it is to take advantage of for first time tanks.

scy

GAF attempting this when?

I'll make popcorn and we can take bets on how high repair bills get before everyone realizes it's too hard.

or solo tank T10! If adds can be solved for it should be doable! Just. Something!

/o\

Solo Tank T13 is more entertaining, I think. The dodgy part is definitely the tethers. It was kind of humorous watching the dps drop like flies in the last phase.

I doubt GAF has the kind of ability to pull off anything like this, unfortunately.

No harm in trying when we're like ... really, really bored.

Missing the exact argument again. The argument being, that you need to know the rotation of a boss well to take full advantage of Inner Beast. Yes it's an amazing defensive maneuver, but if you're attacking when a shorter cast bar starts going off the 2+ second wait is probably gonna prevent you from using it.

The problem is you keep thinking your defensive rotation starts and ends with Inner Beast. I don't rely on IB as a tank killer cooldown. I have oGCD ones to utilize that are functionally the same as a Paladin rotation.

WolvenOne

The problem is you keep thinking your defensive rotation starts and ends with Inner Beast. I don't rely on IB as a tank killer cooldown. I have oGCD ones to utilize that are functionally the same as a Paladin rotation.

I stated earlier that there are other CDs you can fall back on but only a few really have a good chance of saving you from a tank killer, and using those early can get you in trouble later in certain fights.

Besides, this is about which class has a lower skill floor; or possibly which has a higher skill cieling. Depends on which set of semantics you prefer.

So their horns are actually ears?

Something like that, possibly a sort of secondary ear.

scy

I stated earlier that there are other CDs you can fall back on but only a few really have a good chance of saving you from a tank killer, and using those early can get you in trouble later in certain fights.

I've tanked everything as a Warrior and Paladin, barring Savage I guess. I have no idea what fights you are talking about where you cannot get away with using Vengeance -> Thrill+Conv -> Vengeance as your primary defensive rotation just like Rampart -> Sentinel -> Rampart. IB is not a requirement and trying to treat it that way is skewing this whole thing.

Besides, this is about which class has a lower skill floor; or possibly which has a higher skill cieling. Depends on which set of semantics you prefer.

Skill floor vs Skill ceiling is not a question of semantics.

Valor

The argument isn't whether or not Inner Beast is amazing, it's about how easy it is to take advantage of for first time tanks.
|
V

I addressed all of your misgivings. I just didn't feel like spelling things out flatly. Now I will.

Main arguments: WAR isn't easy to learn fights on
Implication: PLD is easy to learn fights on
Rationale: PLD has reactionary CDs more suited for damage spikes that WAR can't predict

What I said: PLD and WAR CDs are pretty even. I provided a beat by beat comparison of CDs available to both WAR and PLD. They're essentially the same kit, but used in a different way. Inner Beast isn't only a preventative attack, but a recovery attack. Therefore missing the IB before the Tank Buster hits doesn't mean you're a dead Warrior. It means that you can leech back and mitigate damage after the damage is calculated. Is it ideal? No. However, when you're learning a fight without a guide, you make the best of it and try to crystallize information for the next go around.

Using IB over and over again is exceedingly relevant because if you're seeing Bahamuto for the first time and you see Megaflare cast, you have no idea what's happening next so you can drop IB for it. When you see Flatten come up if you don't have stacks up, you can Infuriate -> IB to get it up quickly. If Paladin blows Rampart on Megaflare, they will need to blow another CD for Flatten. Warrior would still have access to literally their entire kit. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. This inherently makes Warrior... easier to learn fights on because you have more reliable access to mitigation. It's not WAR's fault if the player is Pacified when they need to throw up IB. It's not the WAR's fault if the player is stuck in the middle of a GCD and can't throw up IB before cast bar is complete. It isn't a limitation of being a Warrior it is a limitation of the player who is playing Warrior. #NotAllWAR

Final Question: If WAR is easy to learn fights with, why do people insist on PLD MT?
1) Healers are babies
2) There are ways to be bad at Warrior and less ways to be bad at PLD
3) Parties prefer WAR offtanks because they do more DPS than PLD offtanks (lol)
4) WAR prefer to OT because they can do more DPS more easily than with Defiance on
5) It's an accepted strategy perhaps dating back to when WAR weren't that great on 2.0's launch and people only ran PLD for end game raiding.

Pick one. Pick multiple.

Edit:

First, pick an argument. Is it about learning a fight on WAR or is it about skill floor/ceiling? Choose an argument.
Second, you don't have a very good understanding of the WAR kit if you think "only a few" have a good chance of saving you from a tank killer. Vengeance, Thrill of Battle, Holmgang -> Sentinel, Rampart, Hallowed Ground It's the exact same amount as Paladin except Holmgang is up way more often than Hallowed is. In case you can't read between the lines, WAR has a better mitigation kit, imo, but at the very least they're comparable if not identical.

scy

I was just sitting here trying to get something working, now I have my distractions again \o/

What will happen to these repeated arguments once people stop playing WAR in 3.0?

which is better tank DPS, WAR or DRK
and why is it secretly PLD

BadRNG

I think Galen is simply forgetting about the passive trait PLDs get that reset all of their long cooldowns if you use them too early. This is why they have hallowed and sentinel for every attack on new fights, they never need to learn the rotation at all!

which is better tank DPS, WAR or DRK
and why is it secretly PLD
Enhanced Shield Oath: Your shield is now a secondary weapon, adding +5000 potency to all auto attacks.

AFK max dps dream.

I (poorly) made a gif comparison of DX9 vs DX11.

ZKzWXjv.gif

Guys help, I don't know anything about computers - I have a 7990 6GB GDDR5 and 16GB SDRAM DDR3, my FFXIV is installed on one of my SSDs and my game still cannot stay above 60FPS. Will DX11 help or hinder my performance? I don't know anything about this stuff and I think that somebody told me that DX11 will actually utilize all of my hardware but I dunno man

iammeiam

Then we'll argue about BRD versus Machinist. Please look forward to my rants about that too.

It feels like just yesterday you betrayed Bard for Ninja, and you're already planning your next defection. Machinist is already inferior; they have no style. You'll fit right in!

Eldren

I was naively holding out hope that female Au Ra could be as tall as the males so I could fantasia into a horned Amazonian but I guess YoshiP and his team know what fans want

Thanks catjerks said:

I'll make a Xaela retainer and continue playing as an underappreciated FemRoe

scy

Enhanced Shield Oath: Your shield is now a secondary weapon, adding +5000 potency to all auto attacks.

AFK max dps dream.

I won't even have to tab back in at that point \o/

It feels like just yesterday you betrayed Bard for Ninja, and you're already planning your next defection. Machinist is already inferior; they have no style. You'll fit right in!

You speak too soon. You know what's coming, right?

Hats for their bots.

Stuart444

I finally got my Hullbreaker drop. :D I lost track of how many runs I did so I'm just saying it took longer than it took for me to cap my poetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom