• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Thanks to my newfound obsession with how fast other people are killing things, I'm now fascinated by DnT's FCoB leaderboards. Those bards, man.

ALSO we should now rank all GAF Ninjas as better or worse than Mister Happy. No other rating matters.

scy

Thanks to my newfound obsession with how fast other people are killing things, I'm now fascinated by DnT's FCoB leaderboards. Those bards, man.

ALSO we should now rank all GAF Ninjas as better or worse than Mister Happy. No other rating matters.

How am I above their SMN on every turn?

I'm going to assume we kill too slow on adds and stuff so my DPS is artificially inflated \o/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
These leaderboards should be taken as "these people did up to this damage once" since there's no context to any of those parses, but they will be taken as "these guys are supposed to be the greatest players right?" with all the following implications.

iammeiam

You can still draw conclusions even acknowledging everyone isn't pulling those numbers every pull (and/or get a massive ego boost if you're beating them in all parses but really a robot should be flawless so NOT IMPRESSED); I mean, their Bards have T13 parses roughly around what I did on a training dummy over 4 minutes last I checked, so they have to be doing a bunch of things better than I am.

The kill times are also interesting--nobody approaching the insane JP T10s, but their 'worst' group doesn't seem that far off the random hodgepodge GAF farm groups that have been running lately, despite those groups frequently involving alts or people on alt jobs and generally involving somebody doing a method they're not comfortable with. Best groups kicking our asses, though.

Stuart444

Yeah it's good ol Xenosys Vex.

Nice then. I saw them practicing it the other day, got it to like 4% before they stopped I believe. Nice to hear they got it down.

Anyway, been trying all day, no Hullbreaker drop. almost capped Poetics doing this now. It is suffering. I'd prefer light grinding (aka guaranteed progress) over RNG (aka no progress made today :( )

I did finish the Ixali quests today though, the cutscenes in the final quest were pretty cool. Also bought the Smith gloves and 7 sealants with all the Oaknots that I had saved up.

WolvenOne

I (poorly) made a gif comparison of DX9 vs DX11.

ZKzWXjv.gif

Really am going to need to buy a new card before Heavensward. My Radeon 7870oc can't really handle the game at max as it is now, and it'd be nice to see these nice effects and get a steady 60fps.

Gotta take care of some bills first tho. :p

I played this a year ago, joined the GAF guild it was great but I stopped playing after my time expired.

Was at the store today, game was $20 bucks for the PS4 I grabbed it not really thinking. Is this game fun on the PS4? Or should I be updating files on my PC?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I played this a year ago, joined the GAF guild it was great but I stopped playing after my time expired.

Was at the store today, game was $20 bucks for the PS4 I grabbed it not really thinking. Is this game fun on the PS4? Or should I be updating files on my PC?

Not sure how it is performance-wise but if you're wondering about using a gamepad Vs. using a M+K, I play on the PC and use a gamepad (Xbox controller) 90% of the time and can't stand the idea of playing an MMO without gamepad support now. How weird is that?

Make sure you have a USB keyboard an mouse too tho, cause I can't imagine not having them for typing and stuff.

I play on PS4 and it runs fantastic. I play with a gamepad, but have some old bluetooth keyboard, but solely for chat.

Not sure how it is performance-wise but if you're wondering about using a gamepad Vs. using a M+K, I play on the PC and use a gamepad (Xbox controller) 90% of the time and can't stand the idea of playing an MMO without gamepad support now. How weird is that?

Make sure you have a USB keyboard an mouse too tho, cause I can't imagine not having them for typing and stuff.

I play on PS4 and it runs fantastic. I play with a gamepad, but have some old bluetooth keyboard, but solely for chat.

Nice thanks for the responses.

Only ten levels to go on my Fisher. Kind of dreading it because I'll have nothing to do after. I'm too poor to get the good gear for Big Fishing.

My time with Fisher is coming to and end :'(

Tiops

So, STR Warrior is considered BiS today, right?

And what about the 30 points distribution? People are going full STR too or VIT is still priority?

WolvenOne

And what about the 30 points distribution? People are going full STR too or VIT is still priority?

Well, STR is BiS, once you have enough Vit to survive whatever content you're running. I mean, STR is pointless in T13 for example, if you're only walking in with 8K Health in Defiance.

As for stat distribution, I still go full Vit. It makes it easier to hit the Vit checks in FCoB.

iammeiam

Only ten levels to go on my Fisher. Kind of dreading it because I'll have nothing to do after. I'm too poor to get the good gear for Big Fishing.

My time with Fisher is coming to and end :'(

NOPE.

You do not quit fishing without embracing the suffering that is Silver Sovereigns. Until you've fallen asleep only to wake up when your controller vibrates, energetically slapping your single-button fishing macro, only to inevitably be HQ Mahi Mahi trolled because it has somehow become daytime and you didn't even notice.

HQ AF can get you pretty far (ALL THE SWIMSUITS); if you can fund the melds I can probably make you most of the gear with crap on my retainers right now.

NOPE.

You do not quit fishing without embracing the suffering that is Silver Sovereigns. Until you've fallen asleep only to wake up when your controller vibrates, energetically slapping your single-button fishing macro, only to inevitably be HQ Mahi Mahi trolled because it has somehow become daytime and you didn't even notice.

HQ AF can get you pretty far (ALL THE SWIMSUITS); if you can fund the melds I can probably make you most of the gear with crap on my retainers right now.

I have under 500k. most of which will go on raid food.

I'm mega poor!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
NOPE.

You can skip Silver Sovereigns entirely nowadays if you have a BTN or MIN able to provide you with a Forager's Hat. But eventually you'll be in for some similarly fun times with Gigant Clams. I hope you're happy with all those jigs you took from me you bastard clams!
...Well that's a lie I guess you don't really need a Lucis for anything. But Olgois though! These guys know how to party.
Still. The image of fishing as a morbid entertainment for rich and bored in Eorzea is somewhat hilarious.

iammeiam

I would never recommend somebody go straight to Olgois. You only have to catch 3 of those; how can they possibly suffer enough? Silver Sovs where it's at.

I have under 500k. most of which will go on raid food.

I'm mega poor!

First of all, why are you buying premade raid food instead of having it made for you. The only real expense in risotto is clusters. Paying MB prices for food is dumb.

Second of all, you don't have to meld anywhere near cap for entry level Big Fishing. I went with it initially because it wound up being the only crafting/gathering thing I could afford to pursue. We'll talk; you're nowhere near done with fishing yet.

scy

I use 4x crafted + Slaying Poetics Ring and have technically an excess of HP (8.4k base / 10.5k in Defiance without food or party). As long as you have "enough" HP, you can just dedicate the rest to STR gearing.

Basically, if you can have 10k+ HP buffed, you're more than fine at that point. Of course, err on the side of your healers occasionally but you don't need, say, 13k+ HP or something ridiculous.

This somehow explains so much.

You have a house. I don't even have one of those.

you know in retrospect the house was a bad idea. 3 mil I probably could have used for like some of a Forager's Set. Oh well.

I would never recommend somebody go straight to Olgois. You only have to catch 3 of those; how can they possibly suffer enough? Silver Sovs where it's at.

First of all, why are you buying premade raid food instead of having it made for you. The only real expense in risotto is clusters. Paying MB prices for food is dumb.

Second of all, you don't have to meld anywhere near cap for entry level Big Fishing. I went with it initially because it wound up being the only crafting/gathering thing I could afford to pursue. We'll talk; you're nowhere near done with fishing yet.

you're scaring me, but ok. I enjoy fishing so if we can find a way, I'm up for it.

To Urth's Gift!

If you can handle fishing you surely can SB a few (hundred) sets without falling asleep

I need to be able to make gear to SB.

WolvenOne

New combo will probably put on an additional DPS buff, seeing as Halone puts on a defense buff.

Basically, probably makes the PLD rotation a bit more similar to the WAR rotation. Granted, WAR rotation isn't hugely complex either, but it's better than a single 1-2-3 combo.

PS: Had a bit of an argument with somebody in-game about this yesterday, and I figured I'd bounce it off you guys to see what you think. I'll black it out for people that don't want to see it though.

So, quick backstory, was talking to a PLD who just hit 50 on WAR. His assessment of the class was that, "this isn't more difficult to learn fights with at all. I just use Inner Beast on everything and that's that." My response was, that he already knew the fights as PLD, and knew when to mitigate so he really wasn't learning these fights at all. Additionally, while Warrior can have Inner Beast up in time for every big hit in an enemies rotation; if you do not know that rotation you're not going to know when to stop doing crap so you can throw out IB and mitigate. This is a bigger deal for Inner Beast than most PLD CD's, because PLD CD's are off GCD, if you're attacking when an enemy starts a cast you don't have to wait two seconds plus the length of the animation to get a mitigation buff. This means that PLD is slightly, "sliiiiiiightly," better for reactive mitigation, which makes learning a fight on that class more forgiving.

I did concede that you could fall back on Vengeance or Thrill of Battle, but there are fights where using these CD's early can actually put you in a bit of trouble later on. To be clear, I wasn't arguing that PLD had a massive advantage, just that it had a slightly higher floor when it comes to skill, and was very slightly easier for learning content as MT. I was not suggesting that PLD is a better tanking class.

Sorry for sharing. This argument rather annoyed me, as much for the tone as anything else. But I just wanted to know if I was off base or not.

I don't see anything wrong with what you said. Inner Beast requires timing since it only lasts 6 seconds, requires Infuriate and is on GCD. Paladin defense abilities are offGCD and last much longer making them easier to use since you don't have to build anything up to reduce incoming damage.

WolvenOne

I don't see anything wrong with what you said. Inner Beast requires timing since it only lasts 6 seconds, requires Infuriate and is on GCD. Paladin defense abilities are offGCD and last much longer making them easier to use since you don't have to build anything up to reduce incoming damage.

Requires timing, can't be used too early, can't be used to late. Basically you need to know the fights better to fully utilize Warrior. You can do amazing stuff with the class once you've learned said fights, but I don't blame most groups for making PLD's the MT more often then not.

Kenai

I need to be able to make gear to SB.

No crafting jobs at 50?

The stuff you will sb you just need the class at 50 to make really. Weaver, goldsmith, and leatherworker and you're set. Worst case scenario, get the mats and ask someone to make you NQ/HQ versions, they are super duper easy to make and NQs take a bit longer to SB but most 50 crafters can literally make the items while afk via quick synth.. SBing is all about time, the money you need to out in is next to nothing and the profit margins are pretty great.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Are there any good tips some Master Warriors can share with me (as a fledging Warrior)? Anything in depth, tricks of the trade and so forth? I really dig the class. Its right there with MNK in making it my main class. =)

No crafting jobs at 50?

The stuff you will sb you just need the class at 50 to make really. Weaver, goldsmith, and leatherworker and you're set. Worst case scenario, get the mats and ask someone to make you NQ/HQ versions, they are super duper easy to make and NQs take a bit longer to SB but most 50 crafters can literally make the items while afk via quick synth.. SBing is all about time, the money you need to out in is next to nothing and the profit margins are pretty great.

yeah, I've nothing at 50. I could ask someone when I have some time to SB. Might be worth it just to get me a little stipend.

WolvenOne

No crafting jobs at 50?

The stuff you will sb you just need the class at 50 to make really. Weaver, goldsmith, and leatherworker and you're set. Worst case scenario, get the mats and ask someone to make you NQ/HQ versions, they are super duper easy to make. SBing is all about time, the money you need to out in is next to nothing and the profit margins are pretty great.

Only started SBing again myself recently; because I realized I could make the lvl48 accessories myself now that I had Goldsmith at fifty. Before buying all the HQ accessories on the board was a bit too expensive for my blood. I mean, once you consider that you could go through several sets before getting anything good.

You're not wrong of course, you don't need a ton of crafting classes leveled and geared to do this. It does help by giving you more options; but it's not necessary.

Are there any good tips some Master Warriors can share with me (as a fledging Warrior)? Anything in depth, tricks of the trade and so forth? I really dig the class. Its right there with MNK in making it my main class. =)

Go bold, this class rewards you for being aggressive.

Remember to rotate through the appropriate rotations. I still see the occasional Warrior that only uses the Butchers Block Combo.

Find out how much Vit you need for a fight, and do not go significantly over that amount.

Crafted accessories are amazing, if you can afford them.

iammeiam

People still use food?!

Shouldn't your reaction be "People still raid?!"

I imagine food will stop being a thing for most people once echo hits, save for us lucky bards who will need T13 food until expac if we actually want to be able to count on our DoTs sticking.

Especially without the flipping gloves.

ebil

As long as you're using Cooldowns for predictable damage and not at random (ie don't do like the WAR I just played with who thought popping Unchained for Revelation was the best option), you're fine with 10k+ up to Turn 13.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Only 3! These Olgois troll well, they probably post on 4chan between not being caught and not begin caught.

Kenai

Only started SBing again myself recently; because I realized I could make the lvl48 accessories myself now that I had Goldsmith at fifty. Before buying all the HQ accessories on the board was a bit too expensive for my blood. I mean, once you consider that you could go through several sets before getting anything good.

You're not wrong of course, you don't need a ton of crafting classes leveled and geared to do this. It does help by giving you more options; but it's not necessary.

You should check how much some of the grade 3 materia is going for right now. I'm not even talking about grade 4. I sold some of them for 50k+ last week and they sold within the hour. And they were just extras cause I wanted to meld my artisan's stuff and save armory space. Even 20-30k x 5 (aka 50% not total junk materia which is highly likely for the crafter/gatherer materia) per set adds up, without even considering the prospect of a IV or two.

xxczx

I'm having so much fun leveling CNJ. I started for PLD but i think i might stick with CNJ for a while, its a really nice break from tanking (and also rewarding healing other players on the field nearing dying!). Never thought id enjoy a magic class.
Get ready for such a fun class! I had no idea what I was getting myself into starting FFXIV as its my first MMO (well, since PSO) and picked MRD because it wasn't a magic class in Limsa but out of the DPS classes I've tried since, nothing tops WAR for me.

Once you learn a good rotation, its basically easy sailing from there. For boss I use Unchained > Heavy Swing > Berserk > Butchers combo > Storms Path combo > Steel Cyclone. Obviously it depends on the boss because of using Berserk might have side effects (adds) but normally it gives me enough aggro to turn Defiance off and do as much dmg as I can til I need to turn it back on.

I haven't really read much guides on being pro WAR so if anybody has any tips on that, swing em this way!

Valor

I wouldn't mind, Sword Oath isn't exciting to use because of its passive nature imo. I'm still hoping one of the new abilities will be a offGCD attack.
It may not be exciting, but it's effective as hell.

PS: Had a bit of an argument with somebody in-game about this yesterday, and I figured I'd bounce it off you guys to see what you think. I'll black it out for people that don't want to see it though.
<snapt>
Sorry for sharing. This argument rather annoyed me, as much for the tone as anything else. But I just wanted to know if I was off base or not.
What I've been learning is that any Tank-based mechanic has a cast bar. If it has a cast bar, you can IB it. The thing is that there's really just a small window where dropping IB doesn't help you in any what whatsoever for mitigation. I mean, even if you drop IB after a hit, you're still leeching back health you lost and mitigating any auto attacks or whatnot that follow. As you learn a fight as WAR you can time the IB more accurately and not buttclench. Not like Thrill of Battle is hard to use if you get scared.

The bottom line is that most people feel PLD is easier to learn on because they have cooldowns for days and have a passive that lets them take less damage. There's plenty of math out there saying that this is a wrong way to think about it, but whatever. Theory versus reality. WAR isn't harder to learn content on. The skill level of the average WAR is the problem.
Oops, double post.
This is how you get demoted.

Will wait to watch WARs become the old n busted come 3.0 while PLD/DRK ride off into the sunset.

That's what I'm expecting since all of the news regarding tanks have been for PLD/DRK.

I haven't seen a single bit of info on WAR changes. IT seems like WAR has always been portrayed as the tank class to play if you want to push more buttons or like a little more complexity during gameplay.

Adding a new combo for PLD plus whatever else they get may reduce that incentive somewhat, I guess it depends on how much those changes affect how PLD plays. Whatever changes they make to WAR would have to be really good for me to consider playing them when the expansion hits because as of now I'm only going to focus on PLD/DRK/AST primarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom