• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

It's okay you can all expect a slew of terrible PUG tanks once the real ones fuck off to do other jobs.

WARs
1382939587351.gif

PLDs
rRmdj.gif

scy

It's okay you can all expect a slew of terrible PUG tanks once the real ones fuck off to do other jobs.

May will be a hilarious time of alt "clears."

Also, June 20th will be a glorious day of Level 30 Dark Knights (with no gear?).

Hey man, all I'm saying is the Drama should definitely consider EBing someone who would take that much time to send her a message and worthless seeds.

And some people say romance is dead.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Idk guys, nuadha got a drodworm spear before wrongketsu so his WAR must be in the top percentile of WARs.

You forgot to use a lot of :)'s. You're doing terrible at subbing in as OT Tabris while he's away.

Is it wrongketsu to be rightketsu?

WolvenOne

o...ok? New players do need time to adjust, we were all bad once. Some of us still are it would seem.

But what does this have to do with the WAR/PLD classes, or any part of your argument thus far?

Well all I was saying was that, having a major defensive move on GCD is a distinctive wrinkle on the Warrior class that doesn't exist on Paladin class. It's a small attribute that you need to learn to deal with.

I never meant to imply that it was this HUGE ISSUE with the class. I guess I need to be extra careful with my wording in the future.

iammeiam

The highest skill floor for the classes is somewhere around the basement.

Summoner is the hardest though
convincing people we're useful and all

Do you have any idea how hard it is to live up to the fashion standards Bard requires? No, you cannot begin to understand the struggle.
Funny story: I was looking for a decent picture of Alanis Morissette instead of the Iron picture up there for iammeiam's post, but figured most people wouldn't get the reference.

Maybe I am spending too much time around you.

Wait, have we reached the point you can use ironic and not have Alanis be the first thing everyone thinks of? That's obscure now?

Jfc. BRB buying Centrum Silver.

Ken

I was naively holding out hope that female Au Ra could be as tall as the males so I could fantasia into a horned Amazonian but I guess YoshiP and his team know what fans want

I'll make a Xaela retainer and continue playing as an underappreciated FemRoe

Female Au Ra don't really have the proportion or bulk to pull it off so it'd probably just be another Elezen situation of "wow that looks whack" past 7ft. Maybe we'll get some super highlanders with the big ala mihgo expansion.

I also thought lalafell would be past hyur. Maybe all those default redx hyur gil sellers are skewing the population!

BadRNG

Well all I was saying was that, having a major defensive move on GCD is a distinctive wrinkle on the Warrior class that doesn't exist on Paladin class. It's a small attribute that you need to learn to deal with.
I don't see it so much as a wrinkle or issue as much as it is an extremely reasonable trade off in exchange for having such an incredibly powerful CD on a short timer. And the small disadvantages of which can be easily accounted for within a single attempt of a fight.

You still haven't answered why Scy's question on why these WARs aren't using the other great oGCDs they have like a PLD would. Being new isn't a valid excuse, at least not when trying to compare to a PLD who is using his skills correctly. A new PLD won't know Stoneskin timing either, which can be extremely tight in some fights.

scy

Do you have any idea how hard it is to live up to the fashion standards Bard requires? No, you cannot begin to understand the struggle.

Basement closet then. Maybe a hallway somewhere with a hatrack.

Wait, have we reached the point you can use ironic and not have Alanis be the first thing everyone thinks of? That's obscure now?

Jfc. BRB buying Centrum Silver.

I dunno but googling "irony" got me to this article.

Which I'm not sure is any worse than reading about NP-Hard and videogames I was doing yesterday.

A new PLD won't know Stoneskin timing either, which can be extremely tight in some fights.

After MTing T13 a bit more now, the entire difficulty of Stoneskins during Earthshaker + Tempest Wing is the stubborn refusal of the damn thing attaching to me in the first place; if it picks up early, I can freely get all the Stoneskins I want! If it doesn't, I cry as somehow it gets interrupted at 0.3s remaining every time.

WolvenOne

I don't see it so much as a wrinkle or issue as much as it is an extremely reasonable trade off in exchange for having such an incredibly powerful CD on a short timer. And the small disadvantages of which can be easily accounted for within a single attempt of a fight.

You still haven't answered why Scy's question on why these WARs aren't using the other great oGCDs they have like a PLD would. Being new isn't a valid excuse, at least not when trying to compare to a PLD who is using his skills correctly. A new PLD won't know Stoneskin timing either, which can be extremely tight in some fights.

I thought I answered that already? People panic, use IB first because that was their initial plan, then start hitting other CD's after it's too late. Happens a lot when people are learning the class.

Or were you referring to some other question?

Eldren

Tanking sounds hard

Female Au Ra don't really have the proportion or bulk to pull it off so it'd probably just be another Elezen situation of "wow that looks whack" past 7ft. Maybe we'll get some super highlanders with the big ala mihgo expansion.

I also thought lalafell would be past hyur. Maybe all those default redx hyur gil sellers are skewing the population!

Ew Highlander, no thank you. I see your point about Au Ra, although I actually quite like giant Elezen...I may not be the best judge here.

Valor

After MTing T13 a bit more now, the entire difficulty of Stoneskins during Earthshaker + Tempest Wing is the stubborn refusal of the damn thing attaching to me in the first place; if it picks up early, I can freely get all the Stoneskins I want! If it doesn't, I cry as somehow it gets interrupted at 0.3s remaining every time.

Time to put some Spell Speed on your Ekusukaribaa.

BadRNG

I still say Enhanced Awareness trait should make us immune to interrupts. That'd be an excellent tool for the 99% of fights without a "IMMA CRIT YOU" buff on boss.

I thought I answered that already? People panic, use IB first because that was their initial plan, then start hitting other CD's after it's too late. Happens a lot when people are learning the class.

Or were you referring to some other question?
Right, but that is still a player skill issue, not a class design issue. Some dps use their oGCDs back to back all the time and lose out on a lot of dps, but I would not argue that is an issue with the class, it's human error. It's not exclusive to WARs.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
May will be a hilarious time of alt "clears."

Also, June 20th will be a glorious day of Level 30 Dark Knights (with no gear?).

And some people say romance is dead.

I think drama is saying that Galen is not romantic enough.

iammeiam

Which I'm not sure is any worse than reading about NP-Hard and videogames I was doing yesterday.

I clicked that. I read a bit. Then I got to this:
"The state space is polynomial in size, so we can simply traverse the entire state space and check whether the goal is reachable."

Sometimes I wonder if you are actually a completely average person playing an extremely elaborate joke on GAF.

If not: NERD

scy

I still say Enhanced Awareness trait should make us immune to interrupts. That'd be an excellent tool for the 99% of fights without a "IMMA CRIT YOU" buff on boss.

The weird part to me was the consistency. Regardless of when I cast, if it was at any point after the 2nd Earthshaker shot went out, I got interrupted at 0.3s. I don't even understand.

Watching JP clears, it's pretty funny to me how clean the pick-ups are. No weird clipping through the tether somehow.

I clicked that. I read a bit. Then I got to this:
"The state space is polynomial in size, so we can simply traverse the entire state space and check whether the goal is reachable."

Sometimes I wonder if you are actually a completely average person playing an extremely elaborate joke on GAF.

If not: NERD

Most of that was frustratingly over my head outside of like ... very basic stuff on NP, NP-hard, and NP-complete.

It was more fascinating in the general sense, I guess? The approach and topic as a whole.

also nerd

WolvenOne

Right, but that is still a player skill issue, not a class design issue. Some dps use their oGCDs back to back all the time and lose out on a lot of dps, but I would not argue that is an issue with the class, it's human error. It's not exclusive to WARs.

Yeaaah, but in order to be a, "better main tank than a PLD," you need to learn how to fully take advantage of Inner Beast. To this end, learning how to appropriately deal with IB GCD is essential; and the best way to deal with it is to learn a bosses rotation really well. This was a caveat I presented in response to the assertion that Warriors could be better main tanks. In essence it was a, "Yes but," statement. I wasn't really getting in to class design, I was just pointing out that this is something people needed to learn; not an issue with class design.

Frankly I'm still a bit surprised that it was controversial; because it doesn't sound like there's all that much disagreement here.

PS: I have a kneejerk desire to play devils advocate a lot, or to take the other side of an issue for the sake of that side being argued. I suspect this gets me in trouble at times.

Jayhawk

Get that computer science out of this thread. Not like there are computer scientists in these parts. It doesn't fit in with the insecurities of WARs with Dreadwyrm Spears and their timing of GCDs and oGCDs.

iammeiam

The hardest part of any non-Bard class is dealing with only one oGCD per GCD. The hell are you people doing with all this downtime?

Most of that was frustratingly over my head outside of like ... very basic stuff on NP, NP-hard, and NP-complete.

It was more fascinating in the general sense, I guess? The approach and topic as a whole.

also nerd

I didn't say I stopped reading it. Send help.

Redx508

Okay, I realize that this is going to sound like I'm tooting my own horn here; but I've lost track of the times I've cleared T13 at this point.

Also, Spear fell three clears in a row. Last one had to go to a person that hadn't even hit fifty until the following day. Yeah I know; RNG is entirely too cruel.

shm2.gif

Stuart444

So me and Alice helped our Skoje with The Chrysalis. First time healing that, it was fun (and painful at times) dealing with double/triple sparks.

We had a great comeback though in our final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ht_fBkpkXI

We both made quite a few mistakes due to panic and/or sheer stupidity (I forgot to resummon my pet in several attempts after being revived >_>) but beating it again felt good especially in this run. Seriously fantastic comeback :D

It was an interesting experience as well mitigating spark between us healers since the Tanks didn't realize it had to be mitigated for a few runs (when I essentially told them it had to).

Awesome win though. :D I thought for sure we weren't going to make it lol.

So me and Alice helped our Skoje with The Chrysalis. First time healing that, it was fun (and painful at times) dealing with double/triple sparks.

We had a great comeback though in our final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ht_fBkpkXI

We both made quite a few mistakes due to panic and/or sheer stupidity (I forgot to resummon my pet in several attempts after being revived >_>) but beating it again felt good especially in this run. Seriously fantastic comeback :D

It was an interesting experience as well mitigating spark between us healers since the Tanks didn't realize it had to be mitigated for a few runs (when I essentially told them it had to).

Awesome win though. :D I thought for sure we weren't going to make it lol.

Something I really still need practice on is not to panic. Watching that back.. I'm questioning myself on some of my... silly decisions. Sure, some of those decisions were thanks to Jade saying to me 'I'll SS' thus me going 'ok *throws out an aero II*'.

Why did I wait that long to poke Shroud? why didn't i Divine Seal when I should have? why didn't i Surecast Medica ii before being pulled in?

I will try to work on these things, I just can't help it sometimes though if we've been trying to clear it for several wipes or if it's my first time in a particular fight (or a particular part of a fight.. see turn 9 panic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom