• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Something I really still need practice on is not to panic. Watching that back.. I'm questioning myself on some of my... silly decisions. Sure, some of those decisions were thanks to Jade saying to me 'I'll SS' thus me going 'ok *throws out an aero II*'.

Why did I wait that long to poke Shroud? why didn't i Divine Seal when I should have? why didn't i Surecast Medica ii before being pulled in?

I will try to work on these things, I just can't help it sometimes though if we've been trying to clear it for several wipes or if it's my first time in a particular fight (or a particular part of a fight.. see turn 9 panic).

Your greatest oversight was actually really trivial - you stood far away from most of the party for a large chunk of the fight and thus some people ended up out of range of Medica.

BadRNG

Yeaaah, but in order to be a, "better main tank than a PLD," you need to learn how to fully take advantage of Inner Beast. To this end, learning how to appropriately deal with IB GCD is essential; and the best way to deal with it is to learn a bosses rotation really well. This was a caveat I presented in response to the assertion that Warriors could be better main tanks. In essence it was a, "Yes but," statement. I wasn't really getting in to class design, I was just pointing out that this is something people needed to learn; not an issue with class design.

Frankly I'm still a bit surprised that it was controversial; because it doesn't sound like there's all that much disagreement here.

PS: I have a kneejerk desire to play devils advocate a lot, or to take the other side of an issue for the sake of that side being argued. I suspect this gets me in trouble at times.
I just don't understand how that is relevant. Bard is the easiest DPS to pick up and play, but you wouldn't ever make the case they are a better dps than MNK right? It's like adding an addendum every time someone says MNK is best dps with "Yes, but you have to learn the rotation and keep stacks up". I have to learn a class in order to be good at it? Well that changes everything!

The "controversial" part is how you continue to bring these "issues" up about Warriors when they are either not true, irrelevant, or misconstrued. Let's not act like today is the first time you have brought this topic up. It seems the consistent theme is you feel you are an inadequate tank at times and latch on to class differences as an excuse, "WAR is so much harder though guys!". WAR can be a better main tank, no matter how many excusatory statements you want to add to that statement after the fact, it's not the classes fault you are sometimes unable to live up to it. Or maybe you are a WAR god, I don't know, I haven't played with you in a very long time but this is the kind of image I am getting based off these many many arguments. I can't really fathom any other reason before your arguments besides this.

This isn't about playing the devil's advocate; this is about being factually wrong, having sometimes poorly constructed arguments, or generally backpedalling and changing the argument every time someone calls you out on part of it.

Also I blame nin py for getting me involved in this.

Something I really still need practice on is not to panic. Watching that back.. I'm questioning myself on some of my... silly decisions. Sure, some of those decisions were thanks to Jade saying to me 'I'll SS' thus me going 'ok *throws out an aero II*'.
The trick is to take a deep breath, at which point time will literally begin moving slower and Fountains of Wayne will begin to play.

See video reference of a WHM saving a run here.

Stuart444

Your greatest oversight was actually really trivial - you stood far away from most of the party for a large chunk of the fight and thus out of range.

Speaking of, watching the vid back, Medica itself has a nice range. Everyone was spread out but I saw all the folks who got hit.

Gonna need to remember that when my WHM gets to 50

The trick is to take a deep breath, at which point time will literally begin moving slower and Fountains of Wayne will begin to play.

See video reference of a WHM saving a run here.

I just knew what that video was going to be when I read this lol. <3 Scrubs

Your greatest oversight was actually really trivial - you stood far away from most of the party for a large chunk of the fight and thus out of range.

Yeah, that's something else I need to work on more. I appreciate you bringing it up, since I completely overlooked it.

the only way galen can ever win drama's heart is to actually show up to her door and take out the trash for her. but galen never gonna do that so, rip

Valus

You know what, heck with this. I just can't seem to please certain people here.

Long time lurker here and honestly I give you credit for sticking it out for as long as you have. Majority of the posters here have been very aggressive towards you in general since OT1 it feels like.

Try not to let it get under your skin too much, remember none of them have any impact on your real life, and they don't know you. Feel better.

EriksBlue

Banned
You know what, heck with this. I just can't seem to please certain people here.
Please.
6a00d834515ae969e2017c35817072970b.jpg

Long time lurker here and honestly I give you credit for sticking it out for as long as you have. Majority of the posters here have been very aggressive towards you in general since OT1 it feels like.

Try not to let it get under your skin too much, remember none of them have any impact on your real life, and they don't know you. Feel better.

lol we know more about wolvenone than most ppl would like

Sorian

Banned

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just want to say I love your radio show.

Shamdeo

Anyone recall if the QOL updates with DX11 are coming to the console versions? Either it's a given or I missed something somewhere.

According to a reddit post I read earlier today Paladins are just called Knight in the Japanese version.

I guess this is why they don't have any magical spells in this version? I do know that they had some form of magic pre ARR so maybe they were called Paladin in the JP version there then changed in ARR unless that's how it has always been traditionally.

Watching JP clears, it's pretty funny to me how clean the pick-ups are. No weird clipping through the tether somehow.

Not being able to pickup tethers even when you are literally standing on the person for 10 seconds is a common problem in NA/EU because of this game's magnificent server and netcode and how well it scales when you're more than like 50 ms from the servers and have more than 0% packet loss.

According to a reddit post I read earlier today Paladins are just called Knight in the Japanese version.

I guess this is why they don't have any magical spells in this version? I do know that they had some form of magic pre ARR so maybe they were called Paladin in the JP version there then changed in ARR unless that's how it has always been traditionally.

Yes, calling the sword and shield tank in NA/EU "Paladin" was a localization decision. They aren't called Paladins in the JP script. This is not dissimilar to how Fire, Fira, and Firaga are renamed Fire I, Fire II, and Fire III for no good reason.

However the chances of there being a tank in FFXIV similar to the FFXI Paladin are pretty low, since the strict Trinity system of FFXIV implies Yoshi wants there to be a healer who keeps the tank alive. If the tank can heal itself, no healer is required. Therefore no tank will be available in FFXIV which has anything resembling significant and constantly available self-healing, which would negate the need for a healer.

squadr0n

Hey guys I have a question about the new classes coming with Heavensward. I know I have to complete the story to unlock the new quests in the expansion but does anyone know if that is also the case for the new classes? Will I be able to make a Dark Knight if i still havent finished the main storyline all the way. Wondering because I still havent finished the main storyline all the way myself but im kinda close, just finished the quest
rebuilding the Magitech armor Mount
, and I dont have alot of time to play atm.

Ken

Hey guys I have a question about the new classes coming with Heavensward. I know I have to complete the story to unlock the new quests in the expansion but does anyone know if that is also the case for the new classes? Will I be able to make a Dark Knight if i still havent finished the main storyline all the way. Wondering because I still havent finished the main storyline all the way myself but im kinda close, just finished the quest

The job lore surprisingly links the new jobs to Ishgard so I have to assume the job trainers are in Ishgard, and I also assume you can't enter Ishgard until you finish the 2.55 story.

Hey guys, I just signed up for the free trial. Could someone tell me which are the unofficial Aussie servers? I'll generally be playing around 9pm Sydney time, if that helps.

Also, could you guys tell me what the tanking classes are like? I recall hearing there's two different tank classes, but I don't know what differentiates them.

barrin87

First time poster in this thread. I played ARR when it was in beta and through the initial release but quit pretty early on. Finally had the hankering to go back and finish playing so I tossed out my old 44 white mage to start a new thaumaturge. Three days in and already level 21. Friend wants me to restart on Gilgamesh and the damned server is full right now.

Qvoth

you can't even enter heavensward areas if you haven't finished the main story quests, so you most probably will not be able to play as the new classes if you haven't finished it as well

Hey guys, I just signed up for the free trial. Could someone tell me which are the unofficial Aussie servers? I'll generally be playing around 9pm Sydney time, if that helps.

Also, could you guys tell me what the tanking classes are like? I recall hearing there's two different tank classes, but I don't know what differentiates them.

tonberry, keep in mind it's the unofficial sea/oceanic server so you'd have a difficult time creating your character there, so try to create it during non-peak hours-ish
the english population is huge here even though it's on japanese data centre
2 tanking classes are paladin and warrior, paladin is the simpler tanking class because of their simpler combos

BadRNG

I thought they said once you could start playing the new classes right away, no quest requirement? But I don't really know how that would work, it might just mean no quest to unlock the line to unlock the line (like rogue had, where you did a quest that unlocked the actual main rogue guild's doors)

Spooky? Cartoon ghosts are spooky. That right there is the face of a killer. Someone about to completely lose it and cut off your head and ride out into the sunset on a nice boat. Run darkness, run.

Eh it depends on how you want to look at it, Knights in the earliest FFs could use magic too, it wasn't really until Cecil that PLD became it's own thing. The FFXI PLD was called Knight in JPN I believe, but they still got magic. It's possible that was originally a throwback to those older FFs. PLDs in this game may end up with magic at one point too, they had some in 1.0 after all. Holy Succor for example.

Regardless of their reasoning, the term PLD actually fits rather well if you look at the classical definition rather than the typical fantasy one. They were the high ranking knights in service to Charlemagne, and here you are a basically the same but in service to the Sultana.

PLD get stronger defensive abilities that last awhile, but with longer cooldown times. DPS while actively tanking is relatively low, but decent when not, and you get some minor party support skills. WAR get weaker/shorter defensive abilities, but they can be used more frequently so you can pretty much always have something available to protect you. Their DPS while tanking is much higher, and quite bursty, while PLD is more stable or passive. PLD gets a passive damage reduction stance, WAR gets a passive extra hp/healing stance, so they equal out the same in regards to effective HP. WAR will sometimes scare healers because of how spikey their bars will look because of this, but with the added healing it does not actually make a huge difference.

They are extremely well balanced to be honest, you can play either one and do all the content in the game as either main or off tank and have no issue whatsoever. I'd try both and see which you enjoy more, the game's armory system encourages trying everything, and you will need GLD (PLD's base) to 22 even if you go WAR due to cross class skills.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In FF11, Knight was also renamed Paladin so I don't think any ability conclusions drawn from this renaming are valid.

hqdefault.jpg

For those of you who have conquered the beast that is Bahammut, how often and how much did you practice it a week? At the moment, my group averages 3 to maybe 3.5 hours if we're lucky.

Valor

For those of you who have conquered the beast that is Bahammut, how often and how much did you practice it a week? At the moment, my group averages 3 to maybe 3.5 hours if we're lucky.

We did two nights for two hours, so 4 hours a week and sometimes punishment sessions on Sundays for another two hours or more if we could squeeze it in. So 4-6 hours a week, usually. It takes a while to learn.

It hit me this is my first real community OT (after a decade on GAF) that I finally got involved in and where I get to truly appreciate everyone's characters when I check back in. Its all so familar now.

We all know who our screech and roger klotz are.

You guys have an established Zack and slater.

Our Helga is obvious.

Everything is connecting. I love it more now.

Teknoman

Not being able to pickup tethers even when you are literally standing on the person for 10 seconds is a common problem in NA/EU because of this game's magnificent server and netcode and how well it scales when you're more than like 50 ms from the servers and have more than 0% packet loss.

Yes, calling the sword and shield tank in NA/EU "Paladin" was a localization decision. They aren't called Paladins in the JP script. This is not dissimilar to how Fire, Fira, and Firaga are renamed Fire I, Fire II, and Fire III for no good reason.

However the chances of there being a tank in FFXIV similar to the FFXI Paladin are pretty low, since the strict Trinity system of FFXIV implies Yoshi wants there to be a healer who keeps the tank alive. If the tank can heal itself, no healer is required. Therefore no tank will be available in FFXIV which has anything resembling significant and constantly available self-healing, which would negate the need for a healer.

Werent they called Knights in FFXI as well though?

EDIT: Beaten long ago lol.

I am on PS4, trying to pick a server. It's only letting me pick from a few Chaos worlds, not Ultros even though it's showing up as being open on the website.

Should I wait or is there something I can do?

Ken

I am on PS4, trying to pick a server. It's only letting me pick from a few Chaos worlds, not Ultros even though it's showing up as being open on the website.

Should I wait or is there something I can do?

Just making sure: did you choose the data center with Ultros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom