• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godan

So I am sitting at level 27 just now as a new player and think I can hit 30 tonight.

I have pre ordered the expansion that comes in June so what should I be trying to do before the expansion hits as a new play to this ( I know get to level 50 and that lol )?

Jayhawk

damn, first window of Titanic Sawfish being available and not even a nibble.

The HQ Merlthor Goby rate is too low.

You should be aiming to catch the Pirate's Bane at the same time as the Titanic Sawfish to be more efficient at that fishing hole. Merlthor Goby should be the only fish you're catching before any mooching happens. If this isn't the case, you're using the wrong bait. If your HQ rate is too low, increase that Perception through gear and food. Otherwise, don't even bother fishing for the Titanic Sawfish until later on. That quest line is only for the title at the end and you need the best gear and melds to finish the quest line.

Why is Angary not teaching people these things?

Battled
King Mog
for the first time yesterday. I'm completely blown away by the quality of the song that plays during this encounter!
Wait till you hear some of the other primal music. Primal spoilers
Ramuh and Shiva
are excellent.

Just beat Steps of Faith, when I say close one i mean it. Vish got right up on the gate and with another hit he would've broken it but we pulled it off somehow at the end. Communication defintely was the key to this fight.

You should be aiming to catch the Pirate's Bane at the same time as the Titanic Sawfish to be more efficient at that fishing hole. Merlthor Goby should be the only fish you're catching before any mooching happens. If this isn't the case, you're using the wrong bait. If your HQ rate is too low, increase that Perception through gear and food. Otherwise, don't even bother fishing for the Titanic Sawfish until later on. That quest line is only for the title at the end and you need the best gear and melds to finish the quest line.

Why is Angary not teaching people these things?

I'm using Floating Minnow for 100% Melthor Goby. My Gathering and Perception are well above the rate needed for the Titanic Sawfish. I caught the 5 HQ Wahoos earlier for Intuition and hooked a Pirate's Bane, but obviously couldn't reel it in because my Gathering isn't high enough.

As for why I'm trying to get it, it gives me something to try and catch with my current gear while I'm waiting for night to roll around to catch more Silver Sovereigns (3HQ/1NQ so far), though I can't do it all the time since I need it to be Fair/Clear from 9AM ET to 2:59 PM

aka, I already know these things.

Jayhawk

As for why I'm trying to get it, it gives me something to try and catch with my current gear while I'm waiting for night to roll around to catch more Silver Sovereigns (3HQ/1NQ so far), though I can't do it all the time since I need it to be Fair/Clear from 9AM ET to 2:59 PM

Have you started going for Olgois? You should be able to skip the Silver Sovereign step. You're going to need the Supra, even if you get the i70 rod. You can also catch a lot of the 2-star fish in most of the starting La Noscea regions with your current gear.

iammeiam

Have you started going for Olgois? You should be able to skip the Silver Sovereign step.

JAYHAWK

You cannot simultaneously bitch about me not teaching people things and come in here with situationally inappropriate advice!

Unless I missed something, skipping Sovs involves a not insubstantial meld investment, HQ Quiche, and probably the Forager's hat.

Budget is a thing here so melds are currently pretty basic (mostly only on accessories/belt, since they're still BiS, as opposed to melding out the AF only to replace with Forager's later.), he has no other way to get the hat, and Quiche ain't cheap.

We're also in an absolute content dead zone, so it's not like there's any reason to rush the process. Just because you can do a thing by throwing money at it doesn't mean you should. And he'd still need 10 Sovs for the hat.

So my advice was Sovs at night, Sawfish during the day. It's not speedrun fishing but it fills time, is fairly cost effective and viable, and... I mean... I like watching silver Sovs crush people's souls.

Jayhawk

I like watching silver Sovs crush people's souls.

Now I understand your goal.

Fishing melds are so cheap though. Tier 2 and 3 materias for almost everything. People using Sovs for the hat is soul-crushing.

And no, Forager's hat only has 4 gathering, the same amount you can put on the i55 hat.

dcye

Spinach Quiche is the best profit maker for me, costs me like 5gil to make and sells for like 11k per HQ which is craftable in my sleep.

dcye

If you plan on leveling CUL desynth I'd suggest doing the Sovereign step, it leveled me from like 50 to the 80's when I smashed the NQ's

Frumix

Suffering From Success
FC members asked to help clear Levi, I go on Dragoon, then the tank asks why I'm hitting the head.
Since I literally never play melee I never learned that the tail does in fact face away from you.
Wow, that was embarrassing.

iammeiam

It's also worth noting that even if he melds out to skip to Supra, he still needs to field the cost of like 10 FC3s and the Mastercraft. I know the bottom fell out of the market, but I think that still leaves him destitute. Might as well Sov fish while accumulating wealth.

iammeiam

How is this accumulation happening?!?!

Does it matter? Dude bought a house somehow, he obviously has some method of getting money. Maybe not at a speed and volume up to the standards of the average GAF poster, but at some pace.

The obsession with suggesting people focus on spiritbonding or whatever to mindnumbingly grind out gil to skip portions of the game when we have absolutely nothing left to do until June is weird to me.

I'm not above grinding spiritbond stuff for gil, I just have no good way to get the gear.

and I got my house money by playing the market when Savage Aim and Might were bonkers for a while.

I can make money from fishing, it just won't be quick. But I'm doing fishing because I'm enjoying it. It's a fun, low maintenance passtime while waiting for stuff to happen in terms of farms or whatever.

I'm not in a hurry or anything.

Jayhawk

The obsession with suggesting people focus on spiritbonding or whatever to mindnumbingly grind out gil to skip portions of the game when we have absolutely nothing left to do until June is weird to me.

Spiritbonding was a suggestion on accumulating the materia he will need to meld out gear that will be used to continue fishing. Spiritbonding for one session so he can start focusing on and experiencing all the big fish, instead of just limiting his time on two big fish right now, is such a terrible suggestion. I was not aware that we should become less efficient with our time before Heavensward. FORGIVE ME, ANGARY.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I bet CULs will make the spicy engine for the ships.
lmao just kidding get back to making raid food

Back on my old character I geared CUL up first just so I could make my own raid food.
I'd argue T13 still needs food if only to not make your healers give you weird looks in phase 2.

Jayhawk

"Efficient with our time"

In the context of fishing.

olololololol.

Fishing at a spot during the wrong time and weather is being efficient, right? Is it recommended now to ignore what is bright when light farming for relic since that is also too efficient?

Fishing at a spot during the wrong time and weather is being efficient, right? Is it recommended now to ignore what is bright when light farming for relic since that is also too efficient?

I don't know what you're talking about anymore.

When have I been fishing at a spot during the wrong time and weather?

iammeiam

I don't really know why this is bugging you so much but: fishing, by its nature, is kind of an RNG-soaked pit of timesink. You are pretty much by definition dumping a bunch of time into something silly. Bright light farming requires no measurable extra effort above normal light farming, and timing/weather restrictions are a straight pass/fail barrier. Grinding out materia and gil to skip a chunk of fishing content is an option, but I disagree that it's the only one or inherently and undeniably superior and that everyone should do it.

Sometimes doing a thing is its own reward? If expansion were sooner, or there were some actual material change to fishing that would make it more enjoyable to get to four star fish sooner, then that would be one thing. But since basically all of fishing from here out is grinding of rods and titles doing the exact same thing, and that's not changing for at least two months, I see no compelling reason to push so hard for skipping.

Jayhawk

I don't really know why this is bugging you so much but: fishing, by its nature, is kind of an RNG-soaked pit of timesink. You are pretty much by definition dumping a bunch of time into something silly. Bright light farming requires no measurable extra effort above normal light farming, and timing/weather restrictions are a straight pass/fail barrier. Grinding out materia and gil to skip a chunk of fishing content is an option, but I disagree that it's the only one or inherently and undeniably superior and that everyone should do it.

So you're against using fishing macro, or losing bait on purpose when the fish caught is not the one you want, and other things that would improve efficiency? I mean there is nothing efficient about fishing, so why bother trying to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom