• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Interesting DRK theorycrafting here.

From what I understand he's saying to do Blood Weapon stuff as normal, but after it goes down go into Grit and do Hard Slash > Syphon Strike (restores Dark Arts worth of mana now in Grit) > DA Bloodspiller if available completely omitting the Souleater.

Otherwise do Hard Slash > Syphon Strike to get mana up to full and only use DA if you're going to hit the max. Then drop out of Grit when Blood Weapon is back up to do your damage again.

That's leaving out some stuff so read the whole thing.

iammeiam

I don't understand why they have separate instances for areas when they aren't full. Why have 3 instances of an area with like 20 people in them? I don't recall Heavensward working like this.

With HW they only added instances once areas were problematic; so they instanced areas that got hit hard on a per-server basis.

SB seems like they decided to just make 3 of everything. When Raubahn EX was a thing, you could go into the last zone of the expansion and see things like:

Instance 1: 3
Instance 2: 1
Instance 3: 6

I don't think their load balancer is terribly smart, either. I was partied with somebody, we exited an instance and it punted us into separate instances of the overworld. They got put in 1, I got put in 3, and I eventually had to teleport to a neighboring zone and walk in, because teleport refused to put me anywhere but 3.

Wow BRD is... a thing now.
So many OGCDs and so little time, so many things to track.
Expending a full stack of Pitch Perfect and then getting it again seconds later, and then getting a stack just before WM falls off, Bloodletter under MB is basically OMG IT SPINS, what a rollercoaster of emotions.

I was initially apprehensive because I liked the tempo and the flow of HW BRD but this is basically back to ARR except faster and bigger.

It's what I'm doing after MCH, and I'm curious to see how the upgraded DoTs being 30s impacts the whole flow. I've messed around on a dummy a bit at 60 and the 18s timers are a thing, but having the 'normal' refresh set to 30s should streamline things a bit.

I will tentatively blaspheme and say EA and IJ keeping their cast times wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world. Nothing else, just those two.

Regarding Stormblood story stuff...

(Spoilers up to Ruby Sea area, before you get diving)
A running theme throughout Stormblood so far is that all the major moving pieces seem to be... women. That's a pretty interesting decision in the narrative. You have the daughter of an Ala Mhigan revolutionary in your party, another key character is a ninja princess (?) of Doma, and their direct rivals in the respective regions are violent women of the nationality who betrayed them and joined the empire. It's an interesting dynamic.

<3 Stormblood.

I think the same thing. Also, having a female avatar almost makes it feel like Charlie's Angels in a way, complete with Alphinaud as Bosley!

Wow BRD is... a thing now.
So many OGCDs and so little time, so many things to track.
Expending a full stack of Pitch Perfect and then getting it again seconds later, and then getting a stack just before WM falls off, Bloodletter under MB is basically OMG IT SPINS, what a rollercoaster of emotions.

I was initially apprehensive because I liked the tempo and the flow of HW BRD but this is basically back to ARR except faster and bigger.
It also helps that they shaved off a lot of animation locking from BRD ogcds so everything flows extremely well even at a higher ping

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope they eventually move to combined buttons for combos. This way they could add back a lot of skills that were pruned without contributing to bind bloat or messing up the progression. I don't like the idea of classes feeling incomplete before 70.

It's what I'm doing after MCH, and I'm curious to see how the upgraded DoTs being 30s impacts the whole flow. I've messed around on a dummy a bit at 60 and the 18s timers are a thing, but having the 'normal' refresh set to 30s should streamline things a bit.
30s DoTs just make them line up with the songs so you can get more Heavy Shots and in turn Refulgent Arrows out.
I will tentatively blaspheme and say EA and IJ keeping their cast times wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world. Nothing else, just those two.
HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Empyreal is the best feeling OGCD in the game now, don't you dare take that away from me

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Empyreal is the best feeling OGCD in the game now, don't you dare take that away from me

Yeah. It's so great now. Don't take away the one thing that feels good now to the Bard. Just demand better for the other classes.

Bards were already nerfed once. Never again.

Interesting DRK theorycrafting here.

From what I understand he's saying to do Blood Weapon stuff as normal, but after it goes down go into Grit and do Hard Slash > Syphon Strike (restores Dark Arts worth of mana now in Grit) > DA Bloodspiller if available completely omitting the Souleater.

Otherwise do Hard Slash > Syphon Strike to get mana up to full and only use DA if you're going to hit the max. Then drop out of Grit when Blood Weapon is back up to do your damage again.

That's leaving out some stuff so read the whole thing.

I tried the stuff that was in this post and I seemed to get the level 70 SSS dummy down to low HP but still failed.

Doing my normal rotation (no Grit at all) with a new adjustment (replace Souleater with Bloodspiller) and I got the dummy's HP down further than with the rotation I linked before.

So either I performed it wrong or what's linked above is not a DPS increase.

I would like other Dark Knights to also try this out to see if they notice an increase in DPS. You can use the new SSS dummy (complete MSQ to unlock).

iammeiam

I'm not asking for Bard to be nerfed.

Just for them to not make EA feel as weightless as Blunt Arrow.

(And all else aside, HW Bard wasn't a nerf long-term, it ended up the strongest it's ever been. Played like crap, but was strong. They've somewhat nerfed it now.)

Nah. Bard is stronger now than it's ever been before. It might have seemed like it before because of WM increasing damage but it removed auto-attack and took longer to output damage, causing it to be weaker than many other DPS classes. Now it puts out more DPS per second. At least, that is how it feels to me and others who have played with me since HW.

What happens if you get an EA code from a friend but never actually purchase Stormblood? The code is good till Friday which gives more than enough time to get through story content and hit 70. Anyone know? Do they roll you back to 60 or whatever?

Guess Who

Banned
On a personal level, I honestly don't give a fuck about how much DPS bard pumps out as a class. It could be the weakest DPS in the game and I'd still play it because I like the way it plays. This is a big part of why I so strongly disliked WM - I never wanted more DPS in ARR! I picked bard because I wanted to be mobile and I didn't mind having more of a support focus. WM may have given me bigger damage numbers but I didn't give a shit because it felt like garbage to play.

Obviously, at a metagame level it'd suck if bard was in an abysmal place DPS-wise, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

iammeiam

Nah. Bard is stronger now than it's ever been before. It might have seemed like it before because of WM increasing damage but it removed auto-attack and took longer to output damage, causing it to be weaker than many other DPS classes. Now it puts out more DPS per second. At least, that is how it feels to me and others who have played with me since HW.

That may be how it feels to you, but that's not how the job actually worked in content in HW. Bard was in a relatively good spot, math-wise, by the end of Heavensward, and it proved out in content. It fell kind of in the middle of the road for personal damage and maintained foe req for utility; all signs point towards the current balancing punting physical ranged down to the bottom again, where it's vying for last place. This isn't an inherent evil, but to ignore how crazy OP both physical ranged were at the end of HW is kind of odd.

It's just weird to interpret "I wish they'd change how these specific skills feel" with a request for nerfs. I said nothing about balance or damage in the initial post, literally just that IJ and EA keeping cast times would have felt better to me. Which I get will not fly with people trying to make it ARR again, but eh. Personal preference is personal preference.

Baleoce

On a personal level, I honestly don't give a fuck about how much DPS bard pumps out as a class. It could be the weakest DPS in the game and I'd still play it because I like the way it plays. This is a big part of why I so strongly disliked WM - I never wanted more DPS in ARR! I picked bard because I wanted to be mobile and I didn't mind having more of a support focus. WM may have given me bigger damage numbers but I didn't give a shit because it felt like garbage to play.

Obviously, at a metagame level it'd suck if bard was in an abysmal place DPS-wise, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This was exactly where I was at with BRD during HW. Word for word. I like that they brought back the mobility now but also made it a little more involved for support at the same time. Couldn't be happier with it atm.

Listening to Gustaberg from FFXI while traversing the Peaks and the Fringes felt really good. I really wish they would add the greatest hits from other FFs like they did with FFXV

That may be how it feels to you, but that's not how the job actually worked in content in HW. Bard was in a relatively good spot, math-wise, by the end of Heavensward, and it proved out in content. It fell kind of in the middle of the road for personal damage and maintained foe req for utility; all signs point towards the current balancing punting physical ranged down to the bottom again, where it's vying for last place. This isn't an inherent evil, but to ignore how crazy OP both physical ranged were at the end of HW is kind of odd.

It's just weird to interpret "I wish they'd change how these specific skills feel" with a request for nerfs. I said nothing about balance or damage in the initial post, literally just that IJ and EA keeping cast times would have felt better to me. Which I get will not fly with people trying to make it ARR again, but eh. Personal preference is personal preference.

That's certainly one way to interpret it, but it would go against the point of what they were trying to do with the Bard now, which is make them mobile again while keeping as many potent DoTs for the job. Where it lost in having useful AoE skills it made up for it in skills that do a lot of damage with no cast times. (EA, Pitch Perfect, etc.) I don't really get why one would want them to still have cast timers on weaponskills and abilities.

Aeana

We need to get some FC folks together for the new ex primals. let's all save each other from the horrors of party finder.

iammeiam

That's certainly one way to interpret it, but it would go against the point of what they were trying to do with the Bard now, which is make them mobile again. I don't really get why one would want them to still have cast timers on weaponskills.

Specific weaponskills, and mostly for feel/reward factor.

You're going to IJ once every 30 seconds normally, and EA once every fifteen seconds. That's still a ridiculous amount of free movement (and with the base DoTs not having cast times you could literally play it like ARR and manually refresh for constant movement. It's a small potency loss, but it's an option) IJ as-is feels kind of cheap to me; there's less accomplishment in the perfectly timed refresh because there's basically nothing that would ever stop you from doing it. EA likewise feels kind of weightless to me, and there's something satisfying about running around and then taking a short break to nuke.

I don't think they'll do it, and I get that a lot of people want nothing to do with it, but it'd make the job feel better to me so I said it.

iregretnothing

TheChaos0

Got to 70, woohoo! Though still quite a bit of MSQ to do, at level 67 right now.

I tried the stuff that was in this post and I seemed to get the level 70 SSS dummy down to low HP but still failed.

Doing my normal rotation (no Grit at all) with a new adjustment (replace Souleater with Bloodspiller) and I got the dummy's HP down further than with the rotation I linked before.

So either I performed it wrong or what's linked above is not a DPS increase.

I would like other Dark Knights to also try this out to see if they notice an increase in DPS. You can use the new SSS dummy (complete MSQ to unlock).

I sort of started doing what the post was saying anyway. That is stance dance between BP and BW cooldowns. I honestly don't know whether it was a dps increase or not but I did it mainly because I wanted to increase amounts of DA I could do. BP mana back is pretty pathetic at the moment though but it's still beter than nothing.

Xux

Is Rosnthal back for the MCH story? I was hoping for more 1.0 stuff after the HW quest were kinda disappointing in that regard.

Got to 70, woohoo! Though still quite a bit of MSQ to do, at level 67 right now.

I sort of started doing what the post was saying anyway. That is stance dance between BP and BW cooldowns. I honestly don't know whether it was a dps increase or not but I did it mainly because I wanted to increase amounts of DA I could do. BP mana back is pretty pathetic at the moment though but it's still beter than nothing.

WIth my old one I got it down to 2% HP, with the linked one the most I've gotten it down to was 6-8% I think.

I don't know. I like the idea of using Syphon Strike in Grit to get more mana back for more use during Blood Weapon but I'll have to wait for someone to do the math. And yeah, Blood Price mana regain is pretty bad. No idea if they plan on buffing it.

ebil

Foxy Lady just spawned on Ragnarok. There was so much lag that I was able to cast Verthunder while moving, and half of Rhalgr's Reach got booted when people went back to trade their tokens for the FATE rewards, lol.

xxczx

Foxy Lady just spawned on Ragnarok. There was so much lag that I was able to cast Verthunder while moving, and half of Rhalgr's Reach got booted when people went back to trade their tokens for the FATE rewards, lol.
I d/c'd just before it finished.....
guWvMb2.jpg

One of the only times I've gotten lag with this game, 5fps hype.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For the 70 RDMs here do you think we can afford to double-weave at all? It might be my EST connection but I feel like all the animation locks preclude double-weaving, and this might be intentional due to the speed of the job.

This was exactly where I was at with BRD during HW. Word for word. I like that they brought back the mobility now but also made it a little more involved for support at the same time. Couldn't be happier with it atm.

Same. I didn't totally hate Bowmage by the end of HW but I still missed the playstyle from ARR, thankfully the new playstyle skews back towards the ARR style while also introducing/reworking a bunch of stuff to make it more engaging than it's ever been.

I'm really happy with where bard is at right now.

Now we just need more fancy hats.

iammeiam

Physical ranged jobs need to lose the ability to autoattack when not facing the boss tho. For some reason that personally offends me.

And the level 65 dungeon aiming hat has a raccoon tail. It's pretty sweet.

You also get two unique flying mounts as part of the story.
Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. A cooler ground one would be nice too and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those pop up in HW. I should probably just look up how you get the damn things as I've seen some pretty cool ones running around.
All speed boost maps gotten!

WFJdtd2.jpg

Nice, how do you unlock them? I thought someone posted that you had to buy it with GC currency but I've been unlocking a few while doing MSQ so I'm wondering if you can unlock them by doing x quests in a zone or just by spending x amount of time in them.

Are there any good beginners guides that I could refer to? I'm technically coming back to the game, but never really played it all that much the first time, so for all intents and purposes I'm pretty much a fresh newbie

So staying out of Grit and just DPSing the dummy.

I can get it down to 2% HP when I substitute Souleater for Bloodspiller.

I can get it down to 2% HP when I use Bloodspiller and just continue the Souleater combo as normal.

So it looks like it doesn't matter how you use Bloodspiller.

Seems to do the same regardless.

Top Bottom