• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

aka_bueno

Took a break over the weekend, but I'm back on tonight. I think since SB launched I've cleared the 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 MSQs so I think I only have 2.5 and 2.55 to do?

But ugh it's sapping all the fun out of the game for me grinding these out just to even start Heavansward, not even Stormblood. And these patch MSQ basically give no XP so there's barely any sense of progress. It stinks.

Seriously considering just doing the MSQ $25 skip ha

Edzi

Trying again:

I've heard people say that RMG is "complete" or has its full/main kit at lvl 50, so I'm wondering what other classes have their general kit around 50-60? I wanna go with classes that feel mostly complete around there so I can grind out and enjoy lvl 50-60 dungeons.

Omnicent

Did Susano EX practice group earlier and almost got my first clear by the end.
Now to get clear and work towards the Katana.

Also someone should set up a susano gaf night this weekend if there are enough people.

Aeana

Damnit Arby's

19260489_10155534021941812_8353654075121054785_n.jpg

The main story onion ring is actually art.

BlackJace

Damnit Arby's

19260489_10155534021941812_8353654075121054785_n.jpg

Onion rings should be a food item in FF14

Took a break over the weekend, but I'm back on tonight. I think since SB launched I've cleared the 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 MSQs so I think I only have 2.5 and 2.55 to do?

But ugh it's sapping all the fun out of the game for me grinding these out just to even start Heavansward, not even Stormblood. And these patch MSQ basically give no XP so there's barely any sense of progress. It stinks.

I used the Skip potion to get to the end of HW after finishing ARR's MSQ. It's honestly worth it I feel like, I can't imagine how slow the DF must be for synced story duties, especially now.

Aesthet1c

I honestly think the $25 would be worth it. There is a lot of MSQ at the end of HW as well. It's not quite as much as ARR post game content, but it's still a ton. If you are looking to hit Stormblood before you burn out, then the potion wouldn't be a bad idea.

As much as I love Astrologian (mained it since the end of 3.0) it's really crazy how Earthly star is way too good... only 55 second CD and it leaves you able to dps for a very long time while still using your other skills. I think it honestly feels really easy now to heal and dps especially on Astrologian and without cleric stance penalties. Like, I haven't got to end game yet but earthly star is way too good and it has such a low CD time + no cleric stance removing your mnd is going to make them incredibly potent in Omega... probably even required. AST has like no risk healing now and they have far better dps than ever before. Well, - dots but yeah

I honestly think the $25 would be worth it. There is a lot of MSQ at the end of HW as well. It's not quite as much as ARR post game content, but it's still a ton. If you are looking to hit Stormblood before you burn out, then the potion wouldn't be a bad idea.

Except, Heavensward's content is amazing, why skip one set of amazing content to experience a different set sooner? Heavensward is nowhere near as grindy/repetitive as Realm Reborn, there's only one small section of annoying quests, the rest is a nice focused story. It's not like Stormblood is going anywhere. The only reason I can think of to skip all of Heavensward would be if you had friends who were already done with it that you wanted to party with.

Baliis

Trying again:

I feel like NIN had most everything by 50, depending on what they changed on the patch anyways. You'll be missing armor crush until 54 to extend your huton timer, but everything else from 50 to 60 is utility (smoke screen/shadewalker) or just ogcd's for more damage (Duality/dream within a dream).

At 50 you have your dot, your full combo, your aoe, and all your ninjitsu.

Kalor

2.5 is where the story picks up a lot so you may as well stick with it.

So I've decided to get in to this, very little experience with mmo's got a rogue to level 40 in wow years ago.

What's a good starting class, I like the look of the cat people and was thinking about trying pugilist. I'm coming in to this completely blind mostly and it will be a long tine before I'm even close to your level and I hate boosting as it makes me feel I've missed content. I'm just looking for quality of life tips really for now.

Garlador

HW is worth playing through. Stormblood may be newer, but HW is still top-tier content.

yami4ct

So I've decided to get in to this, very little experience with mmo's got a rogue to level 40 in wow years ago.

What's a good starting class, I like the look of the cat people and was thinking about trying pugilist. I'm coming in to this completely blind mostly and it will be a long tine before I'm even close to your level and I hate boosting as it makes me feel I've missed content. I'm just looking for quality of life tips really for now.

Starting race (and starting class really) don't matter. You can change to any of the base classes once you unlock all the city states and that only takes a couple hours. If you have never played an MMO, the DPS classes are probably way easier to learn but you're gonna get longer dungeon queues. Still, that's the way I did it (Learned with Lancer/Dragoon and picked up other classes later) and I feel it eased me in really well.

dramatis

If you want shorter dungeon queue times, you might be better off playing a tank or healer class.

In the beginning, that is basically the main qol consideration to think about. FF14 has a very hand-holdy tutorial to ease you in, so it won't be that difficult.

Sciel

Managed to clear the remaining of my HW MSQ and finally got to play some of SB. Haven't got to explore yet but this new city looks gorgeous!
5efd736e28.jpg

yami4ct

I honestly think starting with tanking or healing is a bit much for someone completely new to MMOs. That's an extra layer of stress I wouldn't personally have wanted starting out. It's doable, but I personally would take the longer queues to learn on a less stressful role.

If you want shorter dungeon queue times, you might be better off playing a tank or healer class.

In the beginning, that is basically the main qol consideration to think about. FF14 has a very hand-holdy tutorial to ease you in, so it won't be that difficult.
Starting race (and starting class really) don't matter. You can change to any of the base classes once you unlock all the city states and that only takes a couple hours. If you have never played an MMO, the DPS classes are probably way easier to learn but you're gonna get longer dungeon queues. Still, that's the way I did it (Learned with Lancer/Dragoon and picked up other classes later) and I feel it eased me in really well.
Thanks guys, is pugilist a tank class? I'm not even sure I'm going to group with people to be honest really didn't enjoy wow.

Thanks guys, is pugilist a tank class? I'm not even sure I'm going to group with people to be honest really didn't enjoy wow.

Nah pugilist is a DPS. Also you'll be forced to group up at various points during the main quest as there are dungeons and bosses that have to be done in groups of 4 or 8.

Edzi

Well monk felt mostly complete while leveling, we didn't really lose anything that felt like a missing limb in the same way DRK or MCH did. And most of our post 60 abilities are just icing on the cake rather than integral.

I feel like NIN had most everything by 50, depending on what they changed on the patch anyways. You'll be missing armor crush until 54 to extend your huton timer, but everything else from 50 to 60 is utility (smoke screen/shadewalker) or just ogcd's for more damage (Duality/dream within a dream).

At 50 you have your dot, your full combo, your aoe, and all your ninjitsu.

Shoot, I should have specified Tank/Healers, since I'm pretty set on sticking with RMG/SAM for DPS.

Beginner tips:
Race is only for looks (the stat differences are insignificant), get whichever you like the look of best

You can change jobs anytime you want by just equipping that job's weapon, so if you end up not liking the class you chose, it's not the end of the world.

Much of the game is based around a single-player quest line, but that quest line occasionally leads you to multiplayer dungeons or boss fights you must pass to proceed (the first is at around level 15). It's best if you can find some friends to party with you for those, second best is to join a guild (Free Company in this game) and use member of that to fill in the party, but otherwise you have to use a random "pick up group" to help you. In that case, your class determines how long you will have to wait to find enough people, because dungeons are balanced for a party with one tank, one healer, and two DPS, and the world is chock full of DPS players. When you use the "Duty Finder" to enter a dungeon you have unlocked, it will fill in the required slots as other people use their Duty Finders for that dungeon.

Tank classes are very desirable in parties, and are quite demanding because you have to be able to guide boss fights - control the position of the boss, the direction it faces, and know when to buff up your defense to block a particularly nasty attack. And be able to grab other enemies as they appear so they attack you rather than the party. Tanks are the first ones to enter a room, so they can gather up all the enemies to attack them rather than the party members.

Healers are also desirable in parties, but aren't as demanding as tanks - they are important as they keep the tank (and thus everyone else) alive, and must deal with emergencies

DPS tends to be the simplest jobs, but you have to be good at learning optimal attack patterns to maximize damage, and learning the timing so you have your most powerful attacks available for when they are needed (ie, a boss's weak point appears, you must put everything you have into attacking that weak point before it goes away).

Having said all that, dungeons with complicated boss mechanics that make jobs challenging don't occur for quite a while, so by the time you reach one, you should have a good handle on whichever class you chose.

Whatever class you choose, buy food for that class' dominant stat - it's cheap, and in addition to increasing your class power it gives you a 3% XP buff

Make sure you keep up with your class quests, they give you good weapons and armor, and the stories tend to get pretty interesting later on

Don't bother spending money on armor, you will receive armor as you progress. The only time I ever spend money on armor is during end-game content if I want to speed things up / spend less time grinding for end-game currency.

Finished the main MSQ. It was good.

For what it's worth, all signs point to DRK being the most active tank when actually at 70 (and possibly winning the current DPS tank race); it's my third tank on the list (should finish PLD today hopefully?) so #soon. Holy Spirit is neat but PLD, and DRK to come, have some absolutely awful levels for skills :| 60-70 is such a weird place for how complete jobs feel.

Have you found out any info on whether using Bloodspiller is a DPS increase? Should it be used during Blood Weapon or out of Blood Weapon?

It just feels bad to use because it stops the mana gravy train combo and I can't tell whether or not it's actually worth it to stall your mana gain.

yami4ct

Shoot, I should have specified Tank/Healers, since I'm pretty set on sticking with RMG/SAM for DPS.

Tanks are all a bit of a mess at 50, but I guess PLD is the closest. WAR and DRK are both way off. On the healer side, I can only speak to AST but it has most of its basic kit at 50.

Edzi

Tanks are all a bit of a mess at 50, but I guess PLD is the closest. WAR and DRK are both way off. On the healer side, I can only speak to AST but it has most of its basic kit at 50.

Thanks. I've already got DRK and WAR at 60, but I'm probably going to stick with WAR and drop DRK entirely. I've been considering leveling up my Gladiator though as my secondary tank.

I have SCH at 50, but at this point I'm probably going to switch to AST as my healer of choice so I can play Yu Gi Oh.

Why reward them?

Plus, HW is much better than ARR. (Better than SB, too, of what I've played of SB so far.)

Arkeband

Banned
I used the Skip potion to get to the end of HW after finishing ARR's MSQ. It's honestly worth it I feel like, I can't imagine how slow the DF must be for synced story duties, especially now.

Enjoy not knowing who or what is happening.

There weren't that many story DF dungeons and the answer is roughly a half an hour each as DPS, which you can always go off and do other things during.

yami4ct

The only use case I could ever see myself using a skip potion in is making a new character on another server and for some reason I couldn't transfer my old one. It's both too expensive and you lose too much IMO.

Silvawuff

I skipped most of ARR when I started playing because of the sloggy writing and convoluted story.. Decided to pay Heavensward proper attention throughout its life cycle, and I was rewarded with something much more incredible than what ARR's story had to offer.

Basically, I recommend not skipping on HW stuff to get to SB. SB will be there for time to come. Enjoy what's there; it's not a race to whatever endgame awaits, which is typically pretty shallow at the beginning of a expac anyway.

Also Blitzhex: Sloppeh.

scy

Trying again:

SAM has most of their basic toolkit @50 as well. The rest feel really pruned between 50 to 60 and again 60 to 70. NIN gets mostly utility things throughout and MNK is largely better ways of punching things after a certain point but both of these are still looking more at somewhere in the middle of their 50s.

WHM may be the next closest to fairly complete in their post-50 kit, but that's mostly since 60-70 is still sort of just Thin Air and a bunch of not-as-interesting things.

Oh nice, you get an upheaval in there with the fell cleaves. I'll have to play with this tonight on a dummy. Thanks!

Once you get the rules of it down, it's really 'just' the whole fresh Eye combo with 100 meter and Infuriate ~halfway ready. After that, you can just play it from there.

Arkeband

Banned
DRG's toolkit feels incomplete at 50, especially with the removal of Ring of Thorns and Phlebotomize. Or rather, their toolkit is just super basic without the complexity of any of the BotD mechanics.

I'm picking up on Red Mage so much quicker than Dragoon, and I like the moveset so I think I have a new class... for now. It's basically alternate between black magic and white magic to charge the magic gauge so you can use enchanted melee attacks before using displacement to leap away from the target and start filling the gauges again for your next round of enchanted attacks.

Simple enough to me and fun. Dragoon just felt like a ton of nonsense to me.

I'm picking up on Red Mage so much quicker than Dragoon, and I like the moveset so I think I have a new class... for now. It's basically alternate between black magic and white magic to charge the magic gauge so you can use enchanted melee attacks before using displacement to leap away from the target and start filling the gauges again for your next round of enchanted attacks.

Simple enough to me and fun. Dragoon just felt like a ton of nonsense to me.

heh, i'm still enjoying my Dragoon...but i'm finding RDM a little tricky to pickup. I think half of it is that the ordered they dump things on your skill bar is totally random. Its not like I want them to lay out the min/max rotation (because I'd fail it anyway) but segmenting Blk Mag/Wh Mag + Enc Melee would be nice.

If they do that, don'tt shame me. Please.

Moaradin

I don't understand why they have separate instances for areas when they aren't full. Why have 3 instances of an area with like 20 people in them? I don't recall Heavensward working like this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand why they have separate instances for areas when they aren't full. Why have 3 instances of an area with like 20 people in them? I don't recall Heavensward working like this.

They misunderstood the nature of server crowding, and their system isn't robust enough to create and destroy instances automatically so they have it set up ahead of time and just never turned it off.

heh, i'm still enjoying my Dragoon...but i'm finding RDM a little tricky to pickup. I think half of it is that the ordered they dump things on your skill bar is totally random. Its not like I want them to lay out the min/max rotation (because I'd fail it anyway) but segmenting Blk Mag/Wh Mag + Enc Melee would be nice.

If they do that, don'tt shame me. Please.

Yeah, had to rearrange. I like Dragoon but I read so many guides and watched so many videos. I just could not get it. I'm sure it's not even that complicated but everyone does it a bit differently and has their hotbar setups to their personal likings so it's​ hard to just find a simple "do this" solution especially where they keep changing things and removing skills.

I haven't made any real progress in a long time because people kept bitching at me in dungeons for sucking so I stopped to actually figure it out and ended up dropping my sub because I just didn't feel the investment was going well at all. But then I decided with the new stuff to give it another go.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wow BRD is... a thing now.
So many OGCDs and so little time, so many things to track.
Expending a full stack of Pitch Perfect and then getting it again seconds later, and then getting a stack just before WM falls off, Bloodletter under MB is basically OMG IT SPINS, what a rollercoaster of emotions.

I was initially apprehensive because I liked the tempo and the flow of HW BRD but this is basically back to ARR except faster and bigger.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lyse is TOTALLY HITTING ON ME but I can't reciprocate because the WoL is asexual.

Top Bottom