• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

Lakshmi EX took five pulls. Blind.

FIVE.

At this point I fully expect when I go into Susano he's just going to fall over out of courtesy.

So I did my first run in PotD and got to floor 20. Unfortunately it told me my gear is too under leveled to keep going which brings me to 1) do I have to restart it? Didn't take long so it's not huge. And 2) How do I strengthen my fear and does it have to do with those pompa-somethings? I wasn't clear on how I even use those to be honest.

grimmiq

So much I did my first run in PotD and got to floor 20. Unfortunately it told me my gear is too under leveled to keep going which brings me to 1) do I have to restart it? Didn't take long so it's not huge. And 2) How do I strengthen my fear and does it have to do with those pompa-somethings? I wasn't clear on how I even use those to be honest.

The blue chests have a chance of upgrading your gear.

scy

I really dislike how every primal fight after Thordan ex has been getting progressively easier

I'm torn because it means less interesting facesmashing stuff but, at the same time, it's also nice just rotating through bodies in the PF to get clears pretty consistently.

iammeiam

It'd be nice if there were, like, Savage Primals or something to make up for EX's getting easier.

But I got a wolf. With glowy pink things. So ti's not all bad

duckroll

Well on one hand:
Lakshmi EX took five pulls. Blind.

FIVE.

At this point I fully expect when I go into Susano he's just going to fall over out of courtesy.

I really dislike how every primal fight after Thordan ex has been getting progressively easier

I'm torn because it means less interesting facesmashing stuff but, at the same time, it's also nice just rotating through bodies in the PF to get clears pretty consistently.

Then on the other hand:
what is so hard about moving to the other side of the big black line when you have a purple marker over your head

why is this so difficult

i don't understand

What's YoshiP to do? If the average skill level of players are low, can they really make content that is tuned to the liking of hardcore expert players and expect it to have high participation rates in the long run? Is it worth investing time and effort into something people would get frustrated on and cannot clear? Seems like for every "damn things are getting too easy" you have a complaint about how "why can't my party just follow these mechanics argh".

royox

How does the PS4 run the game? My poor i5 PC is about to explode running it, yesterday night my graphic card (also old) was at 100°C and crashed the game

Thorgal

I'd just like to drop in and say FFXIV is legitimately the only MMO that I've truly wanted to experience. It's not even the subscription or the forced fetch quests that bug me. It's the fact that I have to pair up with random people if I want to complete a vast majority of the content. IIRC Dragon Quest X has this system where the player can hire an AI companion to help you out. I really wish this game had something like that. But oh well, just ain't for me and I can accept that.

Happy you guys are enjoying the game!

It's your choice of course but I never understood people wanting to play an MMO but don't want to play with other people.

It kind of defeats the point.

Aeana

Well on one hand:

Then on the other hand:

What's YoshiP to do? If the average skill level of players are low, can they really make content that is tuned to the liking of hardcore expert players and expect it to have high participation rates in the long run? Is it worth investing time and effort into something people would get frustrated on and cannot clear? Seems like for every "damn things are getting too easy" you have a complaint about how "why can't my party just follow these mechanics argh".

Thing is, Susano EX is not hard. But that doesn't seem to help... like, the problem appears to be that people cannot do mechanics for an extended period of time. Even if they're relatively straightforward.

Baliis

It's really crazy how big the gap in skill is between average players and top players. When I raided in WoW in the top guild on my server, we were leagues better than most random guilds. When I server transferred to a bigger, better server and ended up in the top guild there (a US top 50 guild) it made my old guild look like total garbage. And even then, guilds that are in the top 10 were on a whole different level than us, we'd kill bosses weeks after top guilds. There's just no way to cater to everyone. If content is hard enough to stall top players, 99.9% of the player base will never even see it. If it's easy enough that even a small portion of the community can do it, top players will be through it in hours.

Thorgal

Also after seeing the
Bardam
Mettle dungeon
dungeon I was agreeing with Happy that yes. This should be how the hall of novice teaches you to dodge AOE s

aember

How does the PS4 run the game? My poor i5 PC is about to explode running it, yesterday night my graphic card (also old) was at 100°C and crashed the game
I've been playing it on a launch PS4 for the last few weeks and it runs pretty decent.

It mostly runs ~30 fps, smaller areas with few players run at 60fps, bigger content like the 24 man raids can jump down to ~20fps and then cities with a lot of people & frontlines PvP (72 players) can drop down to the low 10s.

Overall for PvE content it's no problem, you can play well, just don't expect to do too well PvP.

e: you can plug in a keyboard and mouse and it plays just about as well as it does on PC, bar the framerates.

duckroll

Thing is, Susano EX is not hard. But that doesn't seem to help... like, the problem appears to be that people cannot do mechanics for an extended period of time. Even if they're relatively straightforward.

I'll go back to what I said about Susano Hard in the thread earlier - yes it's not hard, but what I think trips people up about Susano in particular is that there are many different types of mechanics mixed in throughout the fight. It's very interesting, but it's also easy to lose focus and then fuck up, even if the individual patterns are easy to read. I can only imagine that Extreme throws more things in and is more punishing for failure. So yeah, that's why people fail.

Someone yelled spoilers in the shout chat and now I know the ending. I knew this shit was gonna happen when few people would make it through while others couldn't. I'm going to bed pissed, I just needed to rant that I'm mad about it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I embarrassed myself on Susanoo EX. Kept getting caught by the puddles. Also my gear is kind of lacking.

Razmos

Bardam's Mettle
(level 65 dungeon) was fun but difficult with my gear. I kinda wish I could go back in solo and practise on that second "boss". I was really confused the first time I went through. Thankfully the party I was in was understanding but they didn't really help or explain the mechanics

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Through a mess of VPN trickery I finally got a EU copy of stormblood activated and re-subbed my account........

But apparently SE now IP block everything in South Korea meaning it's impossible to even patch the game without a VPN. So I'm not going to be playing this anytime soon >sigh<

If I could at least patch it would would be okay but as soon as the VPN disconnected everything stops

scy

Bardam's Mettle
(level 65 dungeon) was fun but difficult with my gear. I kinda wish I could go back in solo and practise on that second "boss". I was really confused the first time I went through. Thankfully the party I was in was understanding but they didn't really help or explain the mechanics

This kind of goes with the above points on Susano (story and EX) but
all of the mechanics you see have been reused throughout the game; I typically let people just experience it blind since it's more fun that way but even if someone asks for tips, I usually just leave it as "Just dodge."
In general, this will be a trend for literally all of the content. A lot of stuff to take in but
they consistently use the same markers from start to finish with only a few exceptions. Learn the tells and what they represent and you're 90% of the way there when it comes to clearing anything in the game

duckroll

Through a mess of VPN trickery I finally got a EU copy of stormblood activated and re-subbed my account........

But apparently SE now IP block everything in South Korea meaning it's impossible to even patch the game without a VPN. So I'm not going to be playing this anytime soon >sigh<

If I could at least patch it would would be okay but as soon as the VPN disconnected everything stops

Huh? What the hell? Why would they do that?

I'm progressing through the ARR story and was able to do the lvl 45 Dragoon quest. I got excited because I thought I was finally getting out of mismash armor hell.

aetoT2t.jpg

But nope. Apparently I still need to rock the sweater dress for 5 more levels. I'm so far behind.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Huh? What the hell? Why would they do that?
Companies often use region blocks in Asia if there are regional servers.

FFXIV is out in Korea and China.

Same thing happened to PSO2 when it was released in English in South East Asia.

iammeiam

This is what, in theory, multiple difficulty levels are for. The game has built into it a pretty smart way to ultimately make content more accessible over time. The tomestone system, welfare upgrade system, echo, etc. The idea is that over time the inaccessible becomes accessible. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than nothing. You can even see this in practice with something like A4S, which was a ridiculously bad fight that was overtuned to hell and back. But by the end of Heavensward, gear + echo had moved the fight to something that could be farmed by pretty much anyone and people went in and ran it for the mount.

What's causing concern is that the curve keeps getting flatter; not everything needs to cater to the 1%, but we're hitting a situation where everything already feels like we're hitting it midway through the overgear cycle. It decreases the lifespan of the content, since everyone can just drop in and farm it out within a day. Finding the balance between challenging and overall accessible is tricky, and there's concern that we've been sliding down for a while.

The solution isn't to just make everything so hard it's unmanageable, but I can't believe the situation is to make everything progressively more disposable. I pull for more difficulty levels, but Yoshida has chosen to design 'brand new' content in 4.1 for the Super Savage fight. Which is worrying, because it turns into "the 1% are stealing your dungeons!" which nobody wants. But it benefits the game to keep skilled or just no life players in the mix and happy, because it helps boost people at the low end through story content or the eventual kinder, gentler, post-echo version.

The game just needs to be better at telling people that sometimes it's okay to fail; the drive to have everything move towards one-and-done is just kind of unfortunate for all involved.

Is Ironworks gear still good for lvl 54? It's the best I've ran into and I've been wearing it for a while and just unsure if Heavensward came with anything better I should look into.

Razmos

This kind of goes with the above points on Susano (story and EX) but
all of the mechanics you see have been reused throughout the game; I typically let people just experience it blind since it's more fun that way but even if someone asks for tips, I usually just leave it as "Just dodge."
In general, this will be a trend for literally all of the content. A lot of stuff to take in but
they consistently use the same markers from start to finish with only a few exceptions. Learn the tells and what they represent and you're 90% of the way there when it comes to clearing anything in the game
Yeah I recognized all the markers, it was just a lot in quick succession and there was a part where
a big meteor was falling and you had to hide behind a rock, and I didn't see the rock until it was too late because the "bosses" model was blocking it
It was fun and definitely doable, but on a blind run it was kinda crazy haha

Thorgal

Is Ironworks gear still good for lvl 54? It's the best I've ran into and I've been wearing it for a while and just unsure if Heavensward came with anything better I should look into.

It will still be good for one more level or so.

After that gear from dungeons and msqs will start to out gear it

Makikou

Rolled a new character in Louisoix yesterday which opened with the hotfix update. It's kinda refreshing seeing only sprouts, so many people in low-level Gridania zones doing quests, people using emotes..

Kinda fun and even though I intended to only play till lv30 i'll see how it goes if I decide to venture further.

Squishy3

meanwhile i'm over here having an existential crisis over not being able to clear the SSS dummy for the last boss despite beating the last boss, failing at 2-4% left on average. granted iirc these things are overtuned (or at least should be) since there's no mechanics for you to dodge.

i get the dragoon level 70 rotation in theory but boy is it gonna take a bit to get it down after 2 years of level 60 dragoon

If it's fully upgraded, I guess so? Should be fine for one or two levels more. MSQ and sidequest should start giving you better gear at that point.

scy

Yeah I recognized all the markers, it was just a lot in quick succession and there was a part where
a big meteor was falling and you had to hide behind a rock, and I didn't see the rock until it was too late because the "bosses" model was blocking it
It was fun and definitely doable, but on a blind run it was kinda crazy haha

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it as a like "You should've known!" thing; when we first got there,
we ended up with one person left standing with a single hit on them left lol. As a random tip for the meteor, you can see which rock will be safe during the white-laser checkerboard pattern. Just look at either the north or south rock (since west and east always turn into golems) and it either hits the rock or leaves it empty. If it's empty, that'll be the safe spot for the meteor coming up. Not a huge time saver but it makes it look like a pretty sweet prediction when you're just waiting at the right rock

The game just needs to be better at telling people that sometimes it's okay to fail; the drive to have everything move towards one-and-done is just kind of unfortunate for all involved.

We need more of (Level 65 dungeon spoilers)
this second boss and the checkmark of success for mechanics. I eagerly await our first primal with zero fighting involved, just 6 minutes of choreography, QTEs, and button mashing

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When I first saw Stone Sky Sea I thought "wow this is really innovative".

Turns out it's just a timed practice dummy. What it should've been was 65
Bardam's Mettle

Makikou

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it as a like "You should've known!" thing; when we first got there,
we ended up with one person left standing with a single hit on them left lol. As a random tip for the meteor, you can see which rock will be safe during the white-laser checkerboard pattern. Just look at either the north or south rock (since west and east always turn into golems) and it either hits the rock or leaves it empty. If it's empty, that'll be the safe spot for the meteor coming up. Not a huge time saver but it makes it look like a pretty sweet prediction when you're just waiting at the right rock

We need more of (Level 65 dungeon spoilers)
this second boss and the checkmark of success for mechanics. I eagerly await our first primal with zero fighting involved, just 6 minutes of choreography, QTEs, and button mashing

I think
Bardam's Mettle doesn't punish you at all. You can fail stuff and the game doesn't punish you at all. Kinda dumb.

iammeiam

After the difference n A12S dummy difficulty between Bard and Machinist I kind of just ignore them.

Speaking of DPS:

Summoner, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #2 in terms of DPS.

Machinist, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #9 in terms of DPS.

I can't even with this. Can't even.

They're a thousand DPS behind Samurai; Hypercharge got nerfed, most of the CC skills got moved to cross-role, instead of expanding on the damage reduction MCH had a monopoly on in HW they handed it to Bard, and the damage sucks.

Makikou

After the difference n A12S dummy difficulty between Bard and Machinist I kind of just ignore them.

Speaking of DPS:

Summoner, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #2 in terms of DPS.

Machinist, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #9 in terms of DPS.

They're a thousand DPS behind Samurai; Hypercharge got nerfed, most of the CC skills got moved to cross-role, instead of expanding on the damage reduction MCH had a monopoly on in HW they handed it to Bard, and the damage sucks.

MCH got absolutely wrecked in 4.0. Guess they didn't want to make it OP and instead the Balance team undertuned it so hard it must have found hell at the core of the earth.

scy

Someone needs to explain to me why the SAM is a slacker and only i312.

I think
Bardam's Mettle doesn't punish you at all. You can fail stuff and the game doesn't punish you at all. Kinda dumb.

It
sort of does in that 2 fails removes a person from that trial. It just generously removes all failures per section so it's pretty hard to even get there. Unless you mean to say all 4 people getting Fetters doesn't actually wipe you?

duckroll

What's causing concern is that the curve keeps getting flatter; not everything needs to cater to the 1%, but we're hitting a situation where everything already feels like we're hitting it midway through the overgear cycle. It decreases the lifespan of the content, since everyone can just drop in and farm it out within a day. Finding the balance between challenging and overall accessible is tricky, and there's concern that we've been sliding down for a while.

The solution isn't to just make everything so hard it's unmanageable, but I can't believe the situation is to make everything progressively more disposable. I pull for more difficulty levels, but Yoshida has chosen to design 'brand new' content in 4.1 for the Super Savage fight. Which is worrying, because it turns into "the 1% are stealing your dungeons!" which nobody wants. But it benefits the game to keep skilled or just no life players in the mix and happy, because it helps boost people at the low end through story content or the eventual kinder, gentler, post-echo version.

Do you think that part of this could be simply the nature of the the expansion having just launched, and the most important content they worked on to ship the title would be for the majority of players? I'm not saying this is surely the case, you've played the game far more than I have, but it seems like we're still within the first week of launch, and some of you have not only cleared the game but all the available post-game content.

From my perspective though, it seems a bit odd to expect there to be something right now which would be sufficiently challenging for players of your level, because the stuff you are talking about (extreme Primals for example) are things that I expect I would be able to clear too after beating the game later on, maybe in another week, maybe in 2 weeks, I don't know. My expectation isn't that once I complete the MSQ, that the stuff coming after is going to be impossible unless I'm on the ball 100%.

I expect that eventually in the coming months they will release optional content that might be too hard for me, but by then I would be pretty satisfied with how much I have gotten out of the expansion, and focus on many other things I haven't done yet, like crafting/gathering classes, and bonus content I skipped along the way in previous expansions.

So I guess what I'm saying is, do you think they are really flattening the difficulty curve because they have no good solution, or do you think part of it is because with a new expansion they want the majority or all of the shipped content to be doable by everyone? That seems fair to me no?

As an example from an earlier post, someone said that since Thordan EX all Primals have been getting easier. But Thordan EX is an extreme trial for the final boss of an expansion. Is there an expectation that regular Primals in the next expansion would have harder extremes than that? With each expansion, it should be a curve right? Not a constant hill? Am I mistaken here?

Guess Who

Banned
Thordan EX was a special case. It came out during the Gordias era, when Gordias was literally killing the raid scene because it was unmanageable for many raid groups that were able to handle Final Coil. The game needed something for the "too hardcore for Ravana EX, not hardcore enough for Living Liquid" group - which was and remains a significant portion of the raid scene - to do. Consequently, Thordan EX was designed way more like a Coil fight than like any other extreme primal.

Alo0oy

Banned
Is the job boost to level 60 in the mog station worth it? I keep hearing that Stormblood is supposed to give you one for free on Reddit, but I don't have it! I don't want to waste money if I'm supposed to have one.

Speaking of DPS:

This is troubling

Top Bottom