• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Blitzhex

Anyone have any theorycrafting google docs for ast floating around, or know what's the best materia to meld for ast right now? I'm 310 ilvl with empty slots atm.

chogidogs

Just started playing again and man, it's kinda overwhelming. I have a level 50 white mage and I'm getting overwhelmed by the interface. Alot my old quests are still there and it's just raining quest givers right now.

Do you think it would be better to start a new character just to get used to it again?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Indeed. The RDM melee rotation for example feels pointless as you will ALWAYS use 1-2-3 with no variations.

Impactful not just replacing Jolt with Impact when it's up (like the SMN Ruin 4 proc) is also a waste of a hotbar spot.

TheChaos0

Any other DRKs want to elaborate on how to use Bloodspiller?

I have no way to measure or math out damage so I want to know where to use it for the biggest DPS increase (if there even is one).

I figure you could replace Souleater with it which would be an obvious increase since its base potency is higher than Souleater.

But using it and just continuing the combo as normal delays Syphon Strike by an extra GCD which means less mana to use on Dark Arts on other things.

It seems like no one is talking about this at all on reddit so I need some help.

Don't think there's a right time to use it. I either use it at the end of the combo (of mana permits) or after Syphon. I feel like Bloodspiller should do something on top of just damage like adding a buff to yourself. Not sure what it could be but I feel we need another reason to use it other than DPS and dumping blood gauge. Also they need to fix when the damage is applied when using Bloodspiller, right now it happens at the start of the animation, it's so weird!

studyguy

How FFXIV handles its antagonists leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately.

HW Final Warring Triad Quest Spoiler:
I am still mad that they just gave up and offed Regula despite how he could have served to be a very crucial source of insight on Garlemald besides "lol evil empire with cartoon villains in charge"

Legit made me mad. YoshiP railroaded Gaius and he did it again.

studyguy

I saw GCD queuing mentioned the other day and I'm still not entirely sure I know what it means.

So when you hit a button it auto flips to another skill.

I have that set for my PLD oaths. 4.0 basically means I keep an oath on 24/7 too since my holy spirit relies on shelltrons and you can't do it without oaths up lol.

dramatis

Just started playing again and man, it's kinda overwhelming. I have a level 50 white mage and I'm getting overwhelmed by the interface. Alot my old quests are still there and it's just raining quest givers right now.

Do you think it would be better to start a new character just to get used to it again?
No.

With SB they even added a giant UI item that tells you where the next main scenario quest is.

All you have to do is focus on MSQ and maybe class quests and that's it.

Arkeband

Banned
No.

With SB they even added a giant UI item that tells you where the next main scenario quest is.

All you have to do is focus on MSQ and maybe class quests and that's it.

Don't forget, blue quest bubbles unlock stuff. It's never been easier to identify what content is worth doing.

Has anyone took advantage of this deal; on CDKeys yet?

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/final-fantasy-xiv-14-online-complete-edition-pc-cd-key

Thinking about biting, but it seems too good to be true.

It's an EU key, so if you're in the US it wouldn't work for you.

Just started playing this game recently, I had given it a try years ago but was turned off due to my social anxiety and rather smothering and toxic friend who forced me to play with him. Now though I'm really enjoying myself and am playing with some much better friends too in their FC. I'm at the point where I dropped off last time (Brayflox dungeon) and feel much better about the game now, even if I am a bit intimidated by the sheer quantity of content there is ahead of me. All those friends are doing Stormblood stuff now which I won't get to for quiet a while, but I am glad they don't mind taking time to do the old stuff with me as well.

I went with Bard for my main and I REALLY enjoy it, the mobility is great and now that I have my first song it really adds to the combat with having to keep my DoTs up and using bloodletter when it procs. I'm glad I didn't get to Bard until after the Stormblood changes, it sounds like the old Bard wasn't really that great but now it seems to be universally praised from what I've seen.

I assume anyone with a mentor crown is either bad at the game, or a terrible person. Usually it's both.

Good idea, but boy is it not used correctly.

My friend must be the exception, he's a mentor with level 60+ in all jobs and is really nice~ Glad I lucked out there, hah.

charpunk

I was overwhelmed too at first when I came back, but it gets easier. As said above, I've just been sticking to the MSQ/Job quests and padding out exp with pvp until I'm high enough level for the next story quest.

I also ran through potd to get used to playing again.

Murkas

Downloaded the free trial on PSN and I'm having fun. I wanna buy the Starter pack, just to confirm, these contain:

FF14. A Realm Reborn
30 day game time.

On PSN it's £12 but I can get the disc version for £9. Just to double check, they're practically the same right? The disc version just contains a license code to redeem on Square and tie it to your account? Don't even need the disc to play I heard?

Thought I'd ask here as it's more lively then the general FF14 thread.

Wagram

I really don't like how they skimped out on quest information this time. Everything was detailed in every single quest before. Now it's simply like task objectives. Pretty big difference, and for the worse.

I really don't like how they skimped out on quest information this time. Everything was detailed in every single quest before. Now it's simply like task objectives. Pretty big difference, and for the worse.

It depends on the quest - some SB quests have full paragraphs in the journal for each objective as past quests have while others just reproduce the opening one sentence description from when you accept the quest. I think this discrepancy is more likely the writers (whether English or Japanese I don't know - would be interested to know if the Japanese text is the same) not having time to fill out all the journal descriptions before release date (there's already some small typos I've noticed and of course the one line left untranslated) than a deliberate decision to abandon full journal descriptions going forward.

So I haven't logged in since a couple of months after launch. I'm a level 47 Dragoon in a dead area and have forgotten literally everything about the game. Any tips on what I should be doing?

Vhalyar

So I haven't logged in since a couple of months after launch. I'm a level 47 Dragoon in a dead area and have forgotten literally everything about the game. Any tips on what I should be doing?

Look up the quest "The House That Death Built" and you'll unlock Palace of the Dead.

POTD will:
- Start you at level 1 inside and progressively bring you up to speed on abilities
- Have a massively shorter queue time than any other activity

When you feel like you have a grip on the UI/class/etc., you should continue the main story by following what the big button in the top left says.

The autochange macros and stuff wouldn't work with monk unless you don't mind dropping a fair amount of DPS just so you can press 2 buttons.

The basic chains for monk is 123 456 126 453 126 456 then repeat, because of the duration of demolish. So you'd need 6buttons for each rotating combos, or just clip like 6secs of demolish every rotation which is incredibly wasteful.

Would work well on pretty much every other classes. In theory they could also change Demolish to make it work, just make the dot shorter and stronger so you just 123 456 constantly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Since I've been gone from the game, did they change anything with locking onto enemies? I use my L3 to lock on like always but for some reason it doesn't take unless I'm absolutely do nothing. I don't remember it being like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have achieved maximum edge.
UlpJKCa.jpg

Also the gathering gear is super stylish.
PQzUGVZ.jpg

aka_bueno

I forget what day I'm on, like day 18? But I FINALLY made it into Heavensward yesterday or maybe the morning before that I forgot, but it's SO much better than ARR. I'm really enjoying it.

Literally everything is better, ESPECIALLY the questing. It's actually fun and moves the story much faster and the MQSs are rad. Bu everything else is better too, the writing, the voice acting, the action, characters, etc etc.

It's almost like 2 different games in terms of fun. I almost quit during ARR and it's endless delivery MSQs and dumb story and crap story presentation. I dont feel comfortable recommending FFXIV to someone because of ARR, once you hit that wall of crap it's hard to continue on cause it doesn't get better. Maybe worse.

HS on the other hand, if the game could start you off in HS, I would recommended it to anyone looking! It's top tier so far. It's making me even more excited for SB.

Shin

Banned
How's the game now combat wise, specifically casting skills and gCD?
It's the one thing I disliked about the game, it felt slow (I quit ar 2.5 IIRC).
Players still horrible at Primals and weekly clears with PUG's?

I'm really considering jumping ship from Dark Knight to Warrior. Which kinda sucks because a lot of the reason I was interested in FF14 was the DRK job finally being added. I'm really not a fan now of it.

kromeo

What role skills are people using for tanks? I've got rampart, convalescence, provoke, awareness and anticipation for pld, and swapped awareness for low blow for drk..

I figured ultimatum would only really have a use in 4 man dungeons if you die so not really needed

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
As a healer, I kinda hate the new Sprint. Now that it doesn't take TP, I have to deal with even more overzealous tanks sprinting through dungeons grabbing more than they can handle. Ugh.

I'm level 66 now. The level 65 dungeon was pretty damn cool! The 2nd fight in particular really surprised me and the last with all the aoes.
It's really too bad the mount you get has the generic theme. Why would I mount a reskinned firebird?

Edzi

I think I'm gonna focus on WAR/AST/RMG as my main tank/healer/dps. Was tempted to go SAM too, but that seems like too much.

Stuart444

So just finished the level 67 dungeon.

It was amazing, I really loved it, bosses were fun and I enjoyed the section where
you need to tank the enemies in areas to avoid the missle things.

I hope the rest of the dungeons are as good. Because that dungeon was awesome.

Also RDM continues to be nuts at lower levels.

Tam-tara for LLDR: Destroys everything so quickly.
Sas HM: Again, AoE is king but the bosses also died so quickly. Quicker than I'm used to. With a SMN as well so most of the burst came from my RDM.

I also love using swiftcast when dualcast is up so I can do 3 spells in a row :D.

edit: On a side note: I want a
Cirina
miniture. She's adorable <3

Top Bottom