• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Arkeband

Banned
Is Frontlines any good for levelling before 60? I'm guessing it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as PotD but considering that I actually enjoy Frontlines I'm wondering if it would be a decent enough replacement.

I believe POTD 51-60 edges it out from 50-60 but then 61-70 is faster through PVP.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One round of frontlines gives comparable exp to on 51-60 potd run. POTD's advantage is you can premade it, but it gives paltry exp beyond 60.

Kent

So this might be kind of a dumb question, but why do monk abilities in general have lower potency than most other melee classes? Like, what is their damage supplemented with to make up for that difference? Considering the self-buffs the other melee jobs have access to, I can't imagine Greased Lightning evens things out by itself.

Like, especially given the positional requirements, just by going by potency numbers it looks like monk would by far be the worst melee DPS class to solo quest with (as stuff will generally be facing you)

For DPS purposes, Greased Lightning is, when fully-stacked, a 50% DPS increase. Greased Lightning is 10% damage and 5% weaponskill and autoattack speed per stack, and you can have two stacks at level 20, and three at level 40.

Twin Snakes gets you a 10% damage buff. Dragon Kick makes enemies take 10% more blunt damage (which comprises all of your damage). Fists of Fire will passively grant you 5% damage when in that stance.

These are buffs that, unless the boss goes away or you're otherwise forced to not be attacking something for an uncomfortable amount of time, are pretty much always active. That's 45% increased damage, the target takes 10% more damage from you, and you're doing all of it 15% faster. Consider that MNKs are balanced around the fact that in boss battles, they will periodically be forced to drop stacks of Greased Lightning.

This means you're going to be pretty much passively running at 183.425% of the DPS you're at before being stacked.

On top of this, they also get a very, very potent cooldown in the form of Internal Release: 30% increased critical hit chance for 15 seconds, on a one minute cooldown. This critical hit chance bonus is additive - so if you normally had a 20% chance to crit, Internal Release makes your total crit chance go to 50%.

On the surface, sure, the numbers make MNK look like it should be doing comparatively little damage. In practice, and after understanding how all of these work, MNK ends up being one of the highest-DPS jobs in the game (they were previously the highest, but that mantle belongs to SAM now, who is pretty much completely devoid of utility).

As for soloing, keep in mind that Fists of Earth grants you the best persistent defense of any non-tank job (it puts you in a better defensive position than even DRG's heavier armor class), and that you can also stun enemies the most often out of any job in the game (as one of your second combo step abilities, One Ilm Punch, can stun enemies in a way that isn't subject to stun resistance buildup - on top of having access to two oGCD stuns in Shoulder Tackle and Leg Sweep if you take that as a role skill). So while going purely-solo, you may not match up in damage, you'll be at a defensive advantage compared to most jobs, save for those in tank armor or able to heal themselves or have mass crowd control.

Seijuro

Is Frontlines any good for levelling before 60? I'm guessing it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as PotD but considering that I actually enjoy Frontlines I'm wondering if it would be a decent enough replacement.

Yes, it gives good exp and since matches are relatively short you should make good progress. Plus you get 50 poetics per match, which will help you outfit your character once you hit 60.

Vic_Viper

If you buy the level skip item do you get your class gear rewards/level 60 gear?

Can't tell if it's worth it for level 50 DPS characters.

For DPS purposes, Greased Lightning is, when fully-stacked, a 50% DPS increase. Greased Lightning is 10% damage and 5% weaponskill and autoattack speed per stack, and you can have two stacks at level 20, and three at level 40.

Twin Snakes gets you a 10% damage buff. Dragon Kick makes enemies take 10% more blunt damage (which comprises all of your damage). Fists of Fire will passively grant you 5% damage when in that stance.

These are buffs that, unless the boss goes away or you're otherwise forced to not be attacking something for an uncomfortable amount of time, are pretty much always active. That's 45% increased damage, the target takes 10% more damage from you, and you're doing all of it 15% faster. Consider that MNKs are balanced around the fact that in boss battles, they will periodically be forced to drop stacks of Greased Lightning.

This means you're going to be pretty much passively running at 183.425% of the DPS you're at before being stacked.

On top of this, they also get a very, very potent cooldown in the form of Internal Release: 30% increased critical hit chance for 15 seconds, on a one minute cooldown. This critical hit chance bonus is additive - so if you normally had a 20% chance to crit, Internal Release makes your total crit chance go to 50%.

On the surface, sure, the numbers make MNK look like it should be doing comparatively little damage. In practice, and after understanding how all of these work, MNK ends up being one of the highest-DPS jobs in the game (they were previously the highest, but that mantle belongs to SAM now, who is pretty much completely devoid of utility).

As for soloing, keep in mind that Fists of Earth grants you the best persistent defense of any non-tank job (it puts you in a better defensive position than even DRG's heavier armor class), and that you can also stun enemies the most often out of any job in the game (as one of your second combo step abilities, One Ilm Punch, can stun enemies in a way that isn't subject to stun resistance buildup - on top of having access to two oGCD stuns in Shoulder Tackle and Leg Sweep if you take that as a role skill). So while going purely-solo, you may not match up in damage, you'll be at a defensive advantage compared to most jobs, save for those in tank armor or able to heal themselves or have mass crowd control.

Nice summary!

Yeah, I'm really not understanding why people feel monks are weaker now

Luigi87

Finally beginning Stormblood =D

I managed to finish 3.0, 3.X and start SB within the timeframe I had set for myself. Pretty content about that.

Firebrand

Finished the main story a moment ago. The final boss was pretty hard! First attempt ended in abandon as one player raged at us newbies, second visit it took us a few attempts but we got it in the end, really satisfying! Definitely a stark contrast to HW's pushover baddies.

This exp pack was not nearly as grindy as HW. I hit 70 before entering the last zone from doing just quests and a FATE here and there, though admittedly with rested and FC bonus the entire way. In Heavensward I remember having to grind through FATEs and dungeons just to get through the main scenario. :p

Thought the villain was pretty lame, but eh. At least a nice voice to listen to.

Gonna have to try out some new things with the crossbar setup. Despite the purge I find myself staring at my icons too much as BRD. Maybe time to jump to KB&M, but eh. Gonna have to play around with WXHB and the LT+RT ones.

Now to check out the endgame dungeons and, uh, all those HW things I never touched.

Haly

SB has so little content I'm doing PLD anima xd

Nice summary!

I think the original question was just referring to the low potency on monk attacks in general. As a new monk player, it is kinda weird to see stuff like Snap Punch, which is the 3rd stance damage skill to only have 170potency when for most other classes they have like 300+potency. The monk's skills potency are just weird number wise compared to the others, because of all the buffs.

It evens out nicely and monk does fairly good damage, but still suffer heavily from certain mechanics. A bit like BLM when forced to move, monk dropping GL3 is a disaster damage wise. The other melees have a much easier time maintaining their own buffs(although Dragoon dropping his eye stack stuff at like 3 is a major setback, more so than dropping GL3).

Honestly I wish the new stuff was a bit more centered around this issue. Riddle of Earth tried to help and it does in some situations but not enough. Having no movement skill to get out of aoes is a pain when you need to get that last snap punch in to refresh GL3 for example and they could have reworked Tornado Kick functionality without needing new assets to do just that(the animation looks like you'd be able to jump back quite a distance from it).

The class isn't bad by any means currently though as far as I can tell, Brotherhood is especially nice in a 2melee+bard/mch group(as long as the brd/mch gets in range of it that is, that's another issue) and Riddle of Fire while having issues is a pretty nice burst boost for the class.

It's just some stuff like Arm of the Destroyer, One Ilm Punch(even after rework), Tornado Kick and Purification sure could have used some changes to make them useable more than once in a blue moon(arguably Arm of the Destroyer/Purification are useful in large aoe situations, although getting a 2nd form aoe move would have been nice to have a full aoe rotation). And shoulder tackle mastery is absolute garbage.

Ashodin

Yo, Lancer feels so good with its animations. Also that POK POK sound when you hit enemies feels great.

Debating between leveling that, PGL, or ARC. ahhhhh choices

Kent

Nice summary!

Well, they lost Touch of Death (which was a substantial amount of potency - especially when you consider that damage-over-time effects also benefit from the skill speed bonus of Greased Lightning, making it a bigger hit to MNK than other, similar actions being lost were to other jobs) and going into Stormblood, lost 10 potency on every single-target weaponskill they have (save for One Ilm Punch, which was unchanged, and Demolish, which lost a tick of its damage-over-time effect instead), in addition to losing 70 potency on The Forbidden Chakra. At least at level 60, this amounts to a rather substantial loss in damage output.

On top of this, both NIN and DRG got potency buffs for their weaponskills practically across the board, which probably doesn't help with perceptions of them, at least from the outside and not in practice.

Though I don't have my MNK capped just yet, it remains to be seen whether or not the additional tools afforded to MNK in Stormblood make up for this. I only have Deep Meditation and Riddle of Earth so far (I'm level 65), and I think there's potential for the extra chakra stacks to make up for the loss in potencies, but it places a huge emphasis on stacking as much Critical Hit as possible onto MNK, especially if you're teamed up with allies that are in jobs that focus on skill speed or otherwise have a fast action pace (such as NIN) with the effect of Brotherhood triggering only on allied weaponskill usage.

That said, this wouldn't be the only thing that has people questioning the job balance of the game going into this expansion. Contrary to what some people might want to have you believe, balance is actually more important than just being about speedkill runs - if affects the entire game, and not just the top percent of progression raiders.

MogCakes

I still don't understand the decision to nerf classes across the board in the name of closing the skill gap. A lot of the new skills feel more like stopgaps to make up for the nerf rather than making the jobs more powerful.

royox

Just now, on the MSQ I
Reconquered the bridge on Gyr Albania
. The first quest after that felt a bit...how to put it....DARK? Searching for imperial survivors and killing them in cold blood. Even when you enter the quest area the game says something like "you can feel a desperate presence".

My gosh somehow I felt so bad even hating garleans as much as I do...

Well, they lost Touch of Death (which was a substantial amount of potency - especially when you consider that damage-over-time effects also benefit from the skill speed bonus of Greased Lightning, making it a bigger hit to MNK than other, similar actions being lost were to other jobs) and going into Stormblood, lost 10 potency on every single-target weaponskill they have (save for One Ilm Punch, which was unchanged, and Demolish, which lost a tick of its damage-over-time effect instead), in addition to losing 70 potency on The Forbidden Chakra. At least at level 60, this amounts to a rather substantial loss in damage output.

On top of this, both NIN and DRG got potency buffs for their weaponskills practically across the board, which probably doesn't help with perceptions of them, at least from the outside and not in practice.

Though I don't have my MNK capped just yet, it remains to be seen whether or not the additional tools afforded to MNK in Stormblood make up for this. I only have Deep Meditation and Riddle of Earth so far (I'm level 65), and I think there's potential for the extra chakra stacks to make up for the loss in potencies, but it places a huge emphasis on stacking as much Critical Hit as possible onto MNK, especially if you're teamed up with allies that are in jobs that focus on skill speed or otherwise have a fast action pace (such as NIN) with the effect of Brotherhood triggering only on allied weaponskill usage.

That said, this wouldn't be the only thing that has people questioning the job balance of the game going into this expansion. Contrary to what some people might want to have you believe, balance is actually more important than just being about speedkill runs - if affects the entire game, and not just the top percent of progression raiders.

Ah, I see. Yeah, my monk is only 62 and while running dungeons it does feel like the other dps matches or even outpaces me much more frequently than before. I still instinctively hit the touch of death button even though it's gone too lol.

My ninja is 70 and I definitely feel a big difference. We got a pretty good deal.

Squishy3

What's particularly bad about it?
the lootmaster stuff is continuing from the end of HW, people forget to unlock role restrictions after people leave, people don't understand that clear parties don't magically turn into farm parties after you obtain the clear, and people can make trap parties by marking it as duty complete required to join despite not having the duty completed for some reason??? i know it differentiates between the two (blue if the leader hasn't completed it, brown if they have) but you probably just shouldn't be able to select that if you haven't cleared (and duty finder already doesn't let you)

a lot of this is just continuing behavior from the end of heavensward but it still aggravates me just looking at pf all the time and just makes me not want to bother with PF at all. It's not like I won't be able to run the content at all, as I've got a group, but we're behind on gearing etc. because of the 2 days of raubahn and pipin blocking everyone

ebil

Oh yeah, new expansion same old PF mentality. I really don't understand why lootmaster is so popular in the first place when it's so obvious that these parties are a scam, though. I rarely if ever PF things as I primarily operate on networking, but looking at it right now doesn't make it very attractive.

Squishy3

Oh yeah, new expansion same old PF mentality. I really don't understand why lootmaster is so popular in the first place when it's so obvious that these parties are a scam, though. I rarely if ever PF things as I primarily operate on networking, but looking at it right now doesn't make it very attractive.
It'll be better for Omega Savage probably, as Creator Savage PF groups were pretty good, but I haven't been able to remember EX Primal PF groups being particularly good since... Sephirot? where I was able to join a blind party day of patch and we were able to do the circles on the fly with no voice comms in like 4 pulls.

I like the idea of cross-server PF and it making cross-server statics possible is neat but EX Primal PUG mentality just isn't really in a good place right now, and most of the competent PUGs are probably circulating among the farm groups now.

iammeiam

pf culture for the new primals is so bad holy shit

Weirdly my PF adventures have, overall, been pretty laid back so far. The most rude I've seen is somebody joining a Lakshmi EX blind run PF on like the Sunday of EA, get pissed that they'd joined blind run because Reading Is Hard, and storm out after two pulls. I've been in some incredible disaster Susanos and people have generally been pretty laid back about everything. I've yet to see any raging, any parse shaming, any stupid optimal comp bullshit. Which is surprising given that Susano wipes are always going to be people killing other people by failing to perform basic tasks, which seems like it should cause more strife.

That said I also avoid farm parties like the plague and only join learning/clear parties where the PF doesn't read like something written by a sentient ball of rage, and I go in happily expecting to wipe a lot to people not wanting to move, which may impact things. It's the nice part about the downtime between launch and srs business raid; there is no pressure to be all max efficiency about it.

Edit: I will say most clear parties I've been in do magically change to farm parties, but you can usually tell how likely it is based on how the actual clear went down.

I still don't understand the decision to nerf classes across the board in the name of closing the skill gap. A lot of the new skills feel more like stopgaps to make up for the nerf rather than making the jobs more powerful.

I don't think any nerfs were to close the skill gap; they all had other purposes--tank damage suffers because they reaally hate the tank DPS meta but simultaneously keep putting DPS in conflict with tanking. The ranged stuff is standard support penalty, monk loses damage so SAM can eat their lunch while they try to compensate with Brotherhood.

I'm not really sure they've managed to do much with the skill gap itself, though, which isn't hugely surprising because they're frequently caught flat-footed by seemingly obvious player reactions and hey still haven't introduced a Hall of the Intermediate, which means that a lot of even core concepts go largely unexplained.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So is there 3 levels of difficulty for Omega when it comes or is this talk of super savage just rumors?

iammeiam

^ -- I'm not assuming that, because Menagerie EX should be the patch primal, which should be separate from mystery other thing.

So is there 3 levels of difficulty for Omega when it comes or is this talk of super savage just rumors?

No; it's what I was hoping for, but they're still doing two levels of Omega and then doing another separate Super Savage fight in 4.1, which will only be a single battle. Lots of theories about what it is, but I'm just hoping for hefty asset reuse.

erawsd

Yeah, a lot of the anger I've seen surrounding Monk from a balance perspective is that there are just too many factors impacting its DPS that the Monk has little control over. Presumably, Deep meditation is suppose to make up for the potency nerfs, but its a trait that double dips on RNG and that creates a feast/famine situation where sometimes you'll get a generous number of procs while other times you literally get zero. Brotherhood essentially punishes you for having casters in the group. And even when you do have lots of physical DPS you end up with tons of wastec chakra because FC has a 5second CD.

B.K.

Do we know how long the Stormblood zones are going to be instanced? That's a pain for trying to do hunts for special FATES.

RK9039

Level 67 finally.

Playing around with some reshade settings.

ffxiv_dx112017-06-2724ir9t.jpg

ffxiv_dx112017-06-272khqmd.jpg

Vaseline

I'm thinking of doing the same thing lol. Pretty cheap to buy umbrites and stuff for sands now to get through that step.

Where do you buy these materials from?

Baliis

Level 67 finally.

Playing around with some reshade settings.

ffxiv_dx112017-06-2724ir9t.jpg

ffxiv_dx112017-06-272khqmd.jpg

Vaseline

Where do you buy these materials from?

Vendor in Idylshire sells umbrites for 75 poetics now, and the sand/ink or whatever for I think 225 for 5 of each now? Singing clusters for the step after that were only 40 each, so 2k for all 50 that you need.

Robin64

Final trial is tough. Our DF group got close a few times, but at 15 mins left someone voted to abandon and it passed. Annoying really, I feel we were basically there and it was just some silly mistakes that made us fail the last few times. Nothing in the encounter is especially hard.

Also annoying was the tank who had mostly level 68 gear, and hadn't even put in the 15 mins of effort to get his AF3 set. He kept going down fast.
Edit: Come to think of it, that means he was probably missing an ability too, right?

RK9039

Vendor in Idylshire sells umbrites for 75 poetics now, and the sand/ink or whatever for I think 225 for 5 of each now? Singing clusters for the step after that were only 40 each, so 2k for all 50 that you need.

Damn.

I stopped on this step, might actually complete it now.

Baliis

Damn.

I stopped on this step, might actually complete it now.

It's where I stopped on my AST relic too but I got past it now.

Having to get crystals again though to start a new one though *shudder*

You'll still have to farm light for the second to last step. That's where my Bard Anima is at right now. I figure I'll finish it eventually and then not touch Bard again for a few years.

The BRD relic is sick as hell though, I'm tempted to level one just for it.

Haly

Do we know how long the Stormblood zones are going to be instanced? That's a pain for trying to do hunts for special FATES.

I don't know, as annoying as it is you're getting 3x the shots at every FATE and Hunt.

duckroll

Final trial is tough. Our DF group got close a few times, but at 15 mins left someone voted to abandon and it passed. Annoying really, I feel we were basically there and it was just some silly mistakes that made us fail the last few times. Nothing in the encounter is especially hard.

Also annoying was the tank who had mostly level 68 gear, and hadn't even put in the 15 mins of effort to get his AF3 set. He kept going down fast.
Edit: Come to think of it, that means he was probably missing an ability too, right?

Lmao. I bet it was a jump potion scrub. Worth noting though, that it might not be 15 mins of work. Since they reworked Job quest rewards, it's possible he didn't do any of the 60+ job quests and had no idea there's a real reward at the end of the chain.

Finally hit ilvl 300 so I tried out SusEX. Wasn't that hard to be honest. The thing that throws everyone off are the lightning bolts and moving away from the rest of the group.

Demoskinos

Managed to solo Odin (Urths Fount) today as RDM. That was fun. A lot of the EX primals are becoming doable solo now which is crazy.

Top Bottom