• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Xater

So from what I am understanding I don't need to buy Stormblood now if I am planning to start over anyway right? I wouldn't see any of the new content anyway.

So from what I am understanding I don't need to buy Stormblood now if I am planning to start over anyway right? I wouldn't see any of the new content anyway.

If you don't want to play Samurai or Red Mage at 50, then go ahead and wait. Otherwise, it's best to buy the expansions when you hit the level cap.

So is a majority of GAF not into crafting or gathering? Isnt that endgame to some?

I admit I'm not into any of the two. I tried Goldsmithing and Mining, but is boring for me, although I know, it would benefit me in the long term, I can't gather the strength to do it. But definetly is part of the content for a lot of people.

eliza0224

Is this issue different than the CE-30022-7 error referenced here?

Because according to that, updating your system software should fix the problem. I've been lucky; had a huge storm roll though a couple days ago...lost power to my entertainment center for a few seconds but somehow the PS4 stayed on. Otherwise I'd be in your situation.
Yes it's dufferent. I don't get any error message, the launcher just starts downloading the 22gb patch as if it weren't there.

Baliis

So is a majority of GAF not into crafting or gathering? Isnt that endgame to some?

I leveled CRP back in the day, but it was always a pain because you couldn't just level the class you wanted, you had to level like 6 others for the cross class skills to actually craft optimally. I might get back into it now that cross class stuff is gone.

Gathering I just always found boring, I might try leveling it again though now that I'm playing DPS and don't have insta queues.

Squishy3

Well... uh... trying to do T9 meteors/golems in public groups pretty much broke me so not sure that's the best way to sell it ha ha. But I'm mainly concerned they will need before I get there but that seems unlikely.
It's not T9 difficulty, haha. It's not as hard as people are making it out to be, it's just harder content than what most casuals expose themselves to as far as difficulty in the game goes. I'd say it's about equivalent in difficulty to Final Steps of Faith, except not overgeared immediately relative towhen it came out and with more stuff that can lead to your individual death (or if you're a tank the other tank's death) as outside of the tank specific thing most everything else is personal responsibility, though if your healers are bad at mechanics ggwp.

I queued in as a 6 stack to help my friend clear it and we got paired with 2 people who'd been unable to clear it, and the first things said by one of them upon zoning in is "Is this the group that's going to finally get me my clear?" and we carried those people hard.

walei

I was reading the Japanese FF14 wiki to see what the Japanese names are for the locations in Stormblood, and I have to say Koji Fox and the localization team came up with much better names.

Spoiler for the raid names
The Pool of Tribute = Treasure Vault
Emanation = Underground Temple of the Goddess of Beauty
The Royal Menagerie = Royal Ala Mhigo Airship Launch Pad

It also has the first Omega raid named as
"Chapter Delta"
in Japanese. Not sure if it'll be the same as when localized because Bahamut and Alexander were nothing similar.

Bahamut:
Binding Coil of Bahamut = Chapter "Encounter"
Second Coil of Bahamut = Chapter "Assualt"
Final Coil of Bahamut = Chapter "Revelation"

Alexander:
Gordias = Chapter "Starting Movement" xxx of the Father is just floor 1 2 3 4
Midas = Chapter "Rhythmic Movement" xxx of the Son is just floor 1 2 3 4
Alexander = Chapter "Heavenly Movement" xxx of the Creator is just floor 1 2 3 4

Xater

Looks like my Dragoon is actually level 45. Hmmm, I don't know if I will be comfortabke jumping straight back in. I stopped playing 1,5 years ago.

kaioshade

Well... uh... trying to do T9 meteors/golems in public groups pretty much broke me so not sure that's the best way to sell it ha ha. But I'm mainly concerned they will need before I get there but that seems unlikely.

Yea, i rescind my T9 remark lol

But i think we can agree that its a pretty hefty step up in difficulty relative to the rest of the beginning content.

iammeiam

I need to go back and do that trial again. We hit it at like... 4 AM on a Sunday morning and I have vague memory of a couple of wipes but it didn't seem that scarring up front.

The actual crafter/gathered endgame isn't in yet as far as I know. Once they patch in yellow scrips it'll get more active. Right now it's just a lot of leveling, and for at least crafting Kugane leves and class quest experience is really good

erawsd

Looks like my Dragoon is actually level 45. Hmmm, I don't know if I will be comfortabke jumping straight back in. I stopped playing 1,5 years ago.

I stopped playing back in 2013 and came back to a level 50, it doesn't take long at all to catch up.

studyguy

5.0 WHM will be a thong at this rate.
DDS07KHU0AAVuw6.jpg:large

Squishy3

I need to go back and do that trial again. We hit it at like... 4 AM on a Sunday morning and I have vague memory of a couple of wipes but it didn't seem that scarring up front.
Stormblood final boss spoilers:

It's only really bad if you don't have tanks or healers that don't know what they're doing, since if the tanks aren't together some poor soul is sharing that Akh Morn with a tank, and obviously it's harder if one of the healers is repeatedly dying due to mechanics since the new weakness debuff makes it even harder for them to help heal. I also noticed they're making heavy use of the new casting bars showing up in the target list as both of Shinryu's wings are in the target list and you can see what they're casting because of it. I imagine that'll be immensely helpful in the inevitable Minstrel's Ballad of this fight.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've heard that the free trial now runs until you hit something like level 35, but do I need a specific expansion to access it? I just have the vanilla game on PS4, and it says I have 30 days to play without needing to pay. Would buying one of the expansions now give me the other trial period?
Your account doesn't qualify for it. You need a brand new account that's never played the old trial or doesn't have a game key attached to it.

Reszo

I am, but only crafting really. I have miner leveled a but that's only so I can mine basic mats for glamour prisms and such

They are all stuck at 55 though from moogle quests. It was a nightmare spending all that money to level the classes to 50 through leves. I don't want to do that again lol so I'm going a bit slow getting them to 60.

I'm a little upset because I can't repair any of my gear anymore lol

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm finally getting 60fps smoothly again now that I disabled two options in the setting.

While I'm not the best at evaluating graphics, on PC the game doesn't seem want to use the processing resources available to it and graphic fidelity especially when flying and looking far away seems to suffer.

If your account hasn’t done the storyline yet, Stormblood gives you two things: as you progress through the Realm Reborn main story, you slowly unlock faster ground-mount speeds in the different Realm Reborn areas, and when you complete the initial Realm Reborn story at level 50, that unlocks the new Stormblood job quests. Aside from that, Stormblood doesn’t give you anything you can use for a while. Note that Stormblood includes Heavensward, so when you finish the Realm Reborn story you might as well buy Stormblood then.

ebil

I do have my gatherers and a few Crafters at 70, but there's currently no endgame crafting at all so that's basically just prep time (which I'm 100% fine with).

I wish there was an explanation for the «sorry you got a 90k and you have to wait another 2h to enter the game, because somehow we can't save you a spot in the server when this happens»

Shahed

I can't be bothered to craft or gather. Gethering isn't so bad since there's no ongoing costs. Yiu just hack at something and sell it. Crafting is a chore though since I hate needing the materials, and the fact it's so time consuming.

I still level them using things like Moogle Beast tribes and daily GC turn in requests. I just mainly do it because I like the class quests and being able to repair on demand

XenodudeX

Well I bought stormblood, but I seem to can't add it onto my account. They gave me a promotion code for PSN. Typed it in but the moogle station thing says I only have ARR. Not sure what to do, any ideas?

Tidalwave

I'm finally getting 60fps smoothly again now that I disabled two options in the setting.

While I'm not the best at evaluating graphics, on PC the game doesn't seem want to use the processing resources available to it and graphic fidelity especially when flying and looking far away seems to suffer.
What did you disable?

Shahed

I wish there was an explanation for the «sorry you got a 90k and you have to wait another 2h to enter the game, because somehow we can't save you a spot in the server when this happens»
I always feel like there should be more of a grace period, especially in the current time

I also hate the message you are still logggee into the game and need to wait to be logged out before you log back in. They should definitely give you more time on this as well. I might lose Internet for like 5 seconds, but then just let go straight back on. But no I have to wait

Valonquar

Farming Allied Seals to unlock the ARR zones 2nd mount speed increase is slowly killing me. Just have the La Noscea zones left to buy now. All A ranks, and nearly every S rank is soloable with chocobo. This means while you are out hunting in one zone, someone else is getting one in another zone. They die so fast, if you do not get initial claim, or are not in a full PT, you are NOT getting full credit. This just encourages people to solo them more IMHO.

On the plus side, if you farm hunts for ARR zones, you will easily get enough centerio seals, and tomes for anything else you could need.

Well I bought stormblood, but I seem to can't add it onto my account. They give me a promotion code for PSN. Typed it in but the moogle station thing says I only have ARR. Not sure what to do.
If you bought it digitally, you shouldn’t need to do anything, Stormblood should automatically just unlock on your PS4.

Shahed

Farming Allied Seals to unlock the ARR zones 2nd mount speed increase is slowly killing me. Just have the La Noscea zones left to buy now. All A ranks, and nearly every S rank is soloable with chocobo. This means while you are out hunting in one zone, someone else is getting one in another zone. They die so fast, if you do not get initial claim, or are not in a full PT, you are NOT getting full credit. This just encourages people to solo them more IMHO.

On the plus side, if you farm hunts for ARR zones, you will easily get enough centerio seals, and tomes for anything else you could need.

I'm just going to do them slowly over time. So glad hunting isn't necessary for any gear related stuff.

Sorry. I forgot to mention I bought the physical copy. Now why I did that, I have no fucking idea.

I bought digital so I'm just guessing here. Was it a PSN code? If it was, did you boot the game uo and relink it to your SE account after?

duckroll

Cleared all the MSQ in the Lochs up to the final dungeon. Whew. There were a BUNCH of Solo Duties! Some pretty cool stuff, and some really interesting fights. They sure aren't pulling any punches here.

Cleared all the Aether Current SQs too, and went all over the map getting all the Aether Currents. Wow this area is FANTASTIC. I can see why people can be annoyed by how roundabout the placements are, but exploring the area and finding out how the paths connect to each other and going from one interesting site to another is really cool. This area is really well designed and reeks of history and lost culture. A perfect final area for an expansion about retaking a lost homeland. I had more fun hunting for all the Aether Currents in this area than I had in many dungeons! Real exploration in a FF game!

So yeah, I'm finally at the end, should be able to beat this tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a party together. I hear the final boss is hard! Stormblood has totally surpassed my expectations and I can't wait for the subsequent patches. FFXIV continues to be the best thing that has happened to FF since FFXII.

Shahed

Cleared all the MSQ in the Lochs up to the final dungeon. Whew. There were a BUNCH of Solo Duties! Some pretty cool stuff, and some really interesting fights. They sure aren't pulling any punches here.

Cleared all the Aether Current SQs too, and went all over the map getting all the Aether Currents. Wow this area is FANTASTIC. I can see why people can be annoyed by how roundabout the placements are, but exploring the area and finding out how the paths connect to each other and going from one interesting site to another is really cool. This area is really well designed and reeks of history and lost culture. A perfect final area for an expansion about retaking a lost homeland. I had more fun hunting for all the Aether Currents in this area than I had in many dungeons! Real exploration in a FF game!

So yeah, I'm finally at the end, should be able to beat this tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a party together. I hear the final boss is hard! Stormblood has totally surpassed my expectations and I can't wait for the subsequent patches. FFXIV continues to be the best thing that has happened to FF since FFXII.

As long as your tanks and healers k ow what to do it should be pretty fine. DPS don't realy have to do much special.

You might wipe. My first try I died within seconds, but it was pretty obvious what caused it and I never made that mistake again. There's not really any new mechanics, and if you've done (and remember) all the mechanics you see in random dungeons, story versions of raids like Alexander and 24 man stuff, you'll be fine

I hated that underwater quest to unlock one Aether Current. Took me ages to find it :(

aka_bueno

With Stormblood update, how does this run on PS4 Pro 1080p?

I've really gotten into this game now, but I only have ARR on PS4 so my time is dedicated on PC where I have HW and SB. When I played on PS4 briefly before SB came out, it was solid but it def didn't feel 60fps. Is it improved with a pro patch since then?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well I bought stormblood, but I seem to can't add it onto my account. They gave me a promotion code for PSN. Typed it in but the moogle station thing says I only have ARR. Not sure what to do, any ideas?
Redeem code on psn and then launch the game to finish mogstation registration. The psn code flags your account and the game takes you to mogstation once it sees the flag.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So this might be kind of a dumb question, but why do monk abilities in general have lower potency than most other melee classes? Like, what is their damage supplemented with to make up for that difference? Considering the self-buffs the other melee jobs have access to, I can't imagine Greased Lightning evens things out by itself.

Like, especially given the positional requirements, just by going by potency numbers it looks like monk would by far be the worst melee DPS class to solo quest with (as stuff will generally be facing you)

MogCakes

So this might be kind of a dumb question, but why do monk abilities in general have lower potency than most other melee classes? Like, what is their damage supplemented with to make up for that difference? Considering the self-buffs the other melee jobs have access to, I can't imagine Greased Lightning evens things out by itself.
High frequency of GCDs with GL and aoe oGCDs. It's a pretty high momentum job and can pump out crazy sustained damage.

Shahed

It is pretty much. Greased lighting at full stacks adds what? 30% extra attack and 15% extra speed? And that's a constant buff. Plus the 5% from Fists of Fire and 10% from Twin Snakes

A Dragoon gets 15% from Heavy Thrust. Ninja's get 20% from their Venom and also a speed buff. The general buff MNK gets it's by far the best in game bar none as long as it's maintained. That's why MNK's can take time to ramp up into their full damage and losing their stacks of GL is really bad. Renewing Heavy Thrust is a single button and Huton is easy to reaaply as well. Not sure what it's like this expansion, but uninterrupted access to an enemy (and their positionals) usually lead to Monks being tje most powerful DPS across both ARR and HW. Greased Lightning is that powerful, hence why it's such a pain when fights make you drop it. Some fights are balanced around the fact that you are forced to drop GL and make Monkw ramp up again otherwise Monk would do too much damage on comparison, kind of like how thwy have mechanics that force a Black Mage to stop casting.

Sciel

Cleared
Susano Extreme
today with a random pf practice party. Have to say, its considerably easier (and forgiving) compared to how Bismarck/Ravana Ex were at HW launch.

There's literally only
two
things that can wipe you:
- People being brain dead and aiming clouds towards party during red market in P3.
- People being braindead during double ground aoe + churning phase in P3.

There are so many damn currents in that area >.<. It was a bit frustrating if anything. SO many monsters putting heavy on you= no fun. SO glad I'm a healer. I agree on it being a perfect final area though!

Shahed

There are so many damn currents in that area >.<. It was a bit frustrating if anything. SO many monsters putting heavy on you= no fun. SO glad I'm a healer. I agree on it being a perfect final area though!
The only time I have a use for Shake it Off. It's like in ARR when I would dismount from Chocobo just to use Tempered Will and then sprint.

Is Frontlines any good for levelling before 60? I'm guessing it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as PotD but considering that I actually enjoy Frontlines I'm wondering if it would be a decent enough replacement.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is Frontlines any good for levelling before 60? I'm guessing it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as PotD but considering that I actually enjoy Frontlines I'm wondering if it would be a decent enough replacement.

Yes.

Top Bottom