• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

mdzapeer

I'll go with I jumped the gun on it not being DC (well, region apparently) specific then; so far that makes it 12 PM PDT for Primal/Aether. My bad D:

I mean, I basically just referred to Zenos throughout the story as budget Luca Blight.

HA HA HA HA Die Pig!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is there any sort of equivalent to Snow's coat from the FFXIII event that can be worn by females and is dye-able? Trying to make a glamour for my DRK that is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure-inspired.

studyguy

Put Lakshimi on farm status.
I hate that song, but it feels appropriate for the primal.
I just feel like stuff happens I know what that stuff is, but like the proper order of it is always super fuzzy. The song is the same, noise is happening and I'm not sure what it's even saying but equally strange stuff is happening while fighting so okay w/e

Seijuro

It's in 30 minutes. It's hitting EU during primetime hours.

Well this is what I was afraid of. Kicking players at 10 o clock in the evening or forcing them to stay idle and don't tackle any instance in fear that time will run out and they will be kicked out of a dungeon. This is bullshit.

Luminaire

Is there any sort of equivalent to Snow's coat from the FFXIII event that can be worn by females and is dye-able? Trying to make a glamour for my DRK that is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure-inspired.
There is. I forget the name unfortunately, but it's an open trench coat basically. Archaoskin or something?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iirc it's one of the things the Echo does and has done. I can't remember the specific instances it's done so in the past, but we've been able to glean some insight on events because of it.

It was more of a thing in 2.0. It's like some kind of magical empathy/Newtype powers.

iammeiam

Well this is what I was afraid of. Kicking players at 10 o clock in the evening or forcing them to stay idle and don't tackle any instance in fear that time will run out and they will be kicked out of a dungeon. This is bullshit.

He's a liar~ we have no idea when the EU servers will be going down.

From the way NA worked, they'll send out system message at 60, 30, and 10 minutes letting people know it will be coming. It does not appear to add a log-on warning, so if you're a poor fool with the bad luck to log in immediately after a warning and start doing stuff, you may feel kind of blindsided.

They appear to be doing all datacenters in a region together.

scy

I forgot to edit it but the EU time is not right now; the outage will be at some point later for you guys, though I'd say around 12 PM BST might not be the worst guess for tomorrow?

I will note that there's apparently no log-in message for it. Just the one hour, 30 minute, and "soon" server messages.

studyguy

Echo is literally whatever you want it to be, because each successive patch just chalks up a bunch of random shit to "power of the echo"

Echo is the ultimate mulligan

its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

Alrus

Well their ridiculously heavy handed server restart at least allowed me to get an instant dps queue, so I'm not going to complain too much... But it's still a dumb solution, why not fix the actual exploit instead of "punishing" the entire server.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I still can't really decide what melee class I want to spend time on when I feel like breaking up RDM leveling. Samurai is convenient because it's already 50 and currently strong, but I think I like the overall aesthetic style and animations Dragoon abilities more. Dragoon is cool, but after actually getting lancer to 30 to unlock it and doing a POTD run I wasn't sure I actually liked the feel of the playstyle.

And then there's Ninja, which I unlocked but haven't played since unlocking. The animations are cool but they are so acrobatic that they kind of lack that visible impact/power you get from Dragoon and even Samurai strikes. I know it got some pretty hefty ability bloat work so maybe I'll like that more now.

Monk I don't even have unlocked yet, and although I have enjoyed what little I've played of pugilist, I'm not sure I really want to play the class with the most positional reqs right now.

iammeiam

rip monk, the forgotten melee

Echo is literally whatever you want it to be, because each successive patch just chalks up a bunch of random shit to "power of the echo"

Echo is the ultimate mulligan

Something something the real power of the echo is the friends we made along the way?

studyguy

rip monk, the forgotten melee

Something something the real power of the echo is the friends we made along the way?

We had Path Companion for 1.0 that shared our Echo experience. So it's was quite literally the friends we made along the way at some point.

iammeiam

Is monk bad? Looked pretty cool to me.

They're in a weirder spot than they traditionally have been, with SAM occupying the general spot monk previously had on lock. It's less good/bad and more an identity fluctuation currently.

But I swear when I typed up my response the post about the various melee just didn't have monk in it at all.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They're in a weirder spot than they traditionally have been, with SAM occupying the general spot monk previously had on lock. It's less good/bad and more an identity fluctuation currently.

But I swear when I typed up my response the post about the various melee just didn't have monk in it at all.

It didn't, I hit post too early then immediately edited it.

Stuart444

It's okay to do it this way! What I posted is simply the best way to leverage Manafication in AoE situations to take advantage of your Embolden (or any buff/debuff) window. RDM AoE is easy and flexible enough that you can adapt it on the fly depending on how much longer you expect things to live if you have some pull awareness.

There's no real difference when to use Moulinets and how much in a row since they always do the same damage, so consider the size of the pack and how long they're gonna live - but even that doesn't matter very much because it's totally okay to just open the next with three or four moulinets (although watch the aggro).

Embolden buffs Enchanted Moulient so don't forget about that.

Thanks for these, I also forgot Embolden buffs Enchanted as well so that's good to know. :D

B.K.

I hope to try Lakshmi and Susano Ex this weekend. I still need about 10 more ilevels to try them. I was going to try to grind enough Tomestones last night to buy 310 accessories and get my level up, but it didn't go very well. I had a cortisone shot put in my elbow yesterday for tendonitis and it was killing me by last night. I tanked the last dungeon for someone in the FC and just spent the rest of the night unlocking Aethercurrents. That was at least something I could do one handed. I got flying unlocked in two zones and almost got a third.

Cmagus

Put Lakshimi on farm status.
I hate that song, but it feels appropriate for the primal.
I just feel like stuff happens I know what that stuff is, but like the proper order of it is always super fuzzy. The song is the same, noise is happening and I'm not sure what it's even saying but equally strange stuff is happening while fighting so okay w/e

I have Lakshmi on farm now as well and really it's not too hard but do you ever feel like sometimes the Vril is dodgy. It seems like in the third phase every time she does the Stortam attack while under Chanchala it's always hit and miss if it's gonna kill you or not. Our group has literally sat there with Vril on and wiped during that and sometimes people don't have it on an survive it just seems really dodgy for an insta-kill attack.

Funny enough I've had more success with Lakshmi than Susano and find that mechanically Lakshmi is more difficult but for whatever reason the concept of running a purple marker to the other side is mind blowing for most pugs and is a real crap shoot most of the time.

MogCakes

I think I get what they were going for with DRG now. LOTD is a secondary burst phase, meant to fill the gap between opener and 4th rotations where all CDs are active again. BFB lines up with LOTD if you adjust the jump/mirage timings and it allows a mid-burst where before we would just be doing the standard weaponskill combo. There is much less downtime on the job, and it feels more active. I still think phlebotomize should have remained, there is a missing GCD spot just before HT can be reset without clipping that it would fit into neatly. GK could have been left as it was and the job would be better for it. I also dislike that eyes are tied to botd being active, given how long it takes to acquire them. I saw a lot of complaints around drg circles about not being able to enter lotd for 90 seconds, but it only takes 70 for me. The setup time is now a big weakness for the class I think, though by all respects I would say with a few tweaks the job is in a pretty good spot despite having a lower dps ceiling compared to other melee. I'm going to test out some openers I made tonight. I kind of like that we're expected to do lower dps now because it makes surpassing other melee that much sweeter.

iammeiam

Vril seems to work like a potion, meaning you need to not try to double-weave it and it takes some time to stick.

The Chanchala Stortam hits harder than anything else in the fight outside the tank buster stuff, but isn't a guaranteed one-shot without vril up. As long as it's up and calculated in advance (a lot of my early misses were basically gaining vril after the game calculated damage on me) you'll live; if it's not you get hit for an absolute ton but shielding and decent left-side gear can save you.

Since it lasts forever I just sort of started popping vril super early and it seems to work out.

I hope to try Lakshmi and Susano Ex this weekend. I still need about 10 more ilevels to try them. I was going to try to grind enough Tomestones last night to buy 310 accessories and get my level up, but it didn't go very well. I had a cortisone shot put in my elbow yesterday for tendonitis and it was killing me by last night. I tanked the last dungeon for someone in the FC and just spent the rest of the night unlocking Aethercurrents. That was at least something I could do one handed. I got flying unlocked in two zones and almost got a third.

Honestly I really, really wouldn't waste tomes on any accessories beyond a ring. Lakshmi is an easy farm and will outfit the rest in i320. Spending tomes on the left side will last you longer and seem less wasted.

Haly

Since it lasts forever I just sort of started popping vril super early and it seems to work out.

Same, I try to tell my groups that Vril lasts 50 seconds so there's no need to wait till the edge to pop it. You should even pop it during the zig zag AoE because why not?

I think Lakshmi would've been a lot more challenging if Vril activation was more strict (say, 10 seconds) or refilling Vril was harder but whatever.

iammeiam

Same, I try to tell my groups that Vril lasts 50 seconds so there's no need to wait till the edge to pop it. You should even pop it during the zig zag AoE because why not?

I think Lakshmi would've been a lot more challenging if Vril activation was more strict (say, 10 seconds) or refilling Vril was harder but whatever.

True Tales From Lakshmi Normal Party Chat Day 2:

"Oh, it lasts 50 seconds."
"HA! Say goodbye to that in EX."

how little we knew

Robin64

We got to 1% in Menagerie and wiped. There are no words to express how that felt. Tempted to take a break from it now and go do something else like level Botany to 70.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Primals are too fucking OP and I wonder if Yoshi-P and crew are going to diminish the significance that they can literally enthrall anyone around that doesn't have Echo. They are basically walking Reapers from Mass Effect. It wasn't brought up at all for the first Primal in SB. I still have the second one to get too so I don't know if it is brought up there.

I am unreasonably worried about this new force log out they rolled out today.

I get home from work very late, and queues on Balmung could run as high as 4.5k during prime time, with 3-5 hour long waits.

Forcing the logout while I'm at work is great for people who can log back in during the next 1-3 hours before 5 pm, but once I get home tonight I'm straight up worried that I'll end right back up in a 4k queue and not get to play at all during the week days.

Haly

Primals aren't OP enough. The might be strong in the context of regular people but you kill them left and right without batting an eye, grabbing whoever happens to be on vacation in the same spot the WoL is in.

Trojita

Call me, until the situation is fixed you might want to find a Remote PC Software you can use on your phone, because I don't know of any other solutions unless a family member is home during the day.

Baliis

Primals are too fucking OP and I wonder if Yoshi-P and crew are going to diminish the significance that they can literally enthrall anyone around that doesn't have Echo. They are basically walking Reapers from Mass Effect. It wasn't brought up at all for the first Primal in SB. I still have the second one to get too so I don't know if it is brought up there.

I haven't gotten to the second one either hut yea the first one is weird.
it completely ignores basically all the established rules about primals like crystals to sustain it (I guess you could argue it's using aether from the treasures or something though), the desperate prayers to summon it,
enthralling anyone nearby, etc. It just sort of... shows up and you kill it.

studyguy

I didn't know I had to viril the Chantanananaa Sotoram till the final run lol.
It hits hard? I haven't really noticed as MT.

Buffed Path of Life is the hardest hitting attack in the game though jesus fucking Christ that is a tank buster, I was like lol I don't need that much mitigation on this and nope.

TheExodu5

Banned
lvl 22 isn't very far, so if you were going to do it I'd say do it now. What server are you on?

Marlboro.

What really sucks is that I bought the game back in February, before the unlimited trial was around. I'd be better off just creating a new account for the trial, but I really don't want to deal with separate accounts.

Just trying to figure out how to save my appearance so I can easily recreate on Ultros.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
There are three long coats that I can think of.

There's a craftable coat that you can find on the market boards. Search for chest pieces on the market board and go to the end of the list. It's near the bottom with the other novelty glamour outfits like the spring dress and sailor outfits.

There's Setzer's coat, which you can buy from the Gold Saucer for about 100k MGP or something like that. It's a little more fab than Snow's coat, but it's dyeable. I used to wear this on my character.

If you're a tank, there's the T9 High Allagan chestpiece that's also a long coat. The crafted (replica) version is dyeable.

B.K.

Honestly I really, really wouldn't waste tomes on any accessories beyond a ring. Lakshmi is an easy farm and will outfit the rest in i320. Spending tomes on the left side will last you longer and seem less wasted.

It's the easiest way, though. I only need about 10 more levels to get to 300. With my awful luck in dungeons, I'll never get the gear. I tanked the final dungeon for Revalia last night and I don't think I saw a single piece of Fending gear drop.

Etroveria

Neo Member
Got Royal Menagerie on trial roulette, everyone was like "30min penalty doesn't feel so bad now" lol and there's only like 2 new people. No deaths and we ended up one shotting it, felt pretty good.

Anyway, I ended up using Dragon Sight macro and my life had gotten soooo much easier, I only have to approach nearest melee now lol

Nidhogg was way cooler than anything in SB.

Probably in the minority but I consider Stormblood to be a bit of a step down in comparison to HW. At least in regards to story. Aside from that one scene near the start where you
fight Zeno for the first time
I never once felt the stakes of what was happening. Very lacklustre. The benchmark had more exciting scenes lmao

Final trial was great though

IMO the moment before final steps of faith hasn't been topped for me and maybe since I prefer the theme of revenge, shouldering the burden of your ancestors etc I still like HW better. I consider SB a fantastic expansion though.

iammeiam

It's the easiest way, though. I only need about 10 more levels to get to 300. With my awful luck in dungeons, I'll never get the gear. I tanked the final dungeon for Revalia last night and I don't think I saw a single piece of Fending gear drop.

How bad are your current accessories? I just checked on my AST, and I can have the i290 weapon from job quest equipped, i310 with tomes on the rest of the left side, one i310 ring, and then all the rest of my accessories at i288 from the level 69 dungeon, and still hit 300.

It's more tomestones than just buying accessories, but on the left side you get more out of them, since the only tome spends in that list are on things you can't get from primals, and you should be able to hit 300 without needing particularly great loot luck from the 70 dungeons at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, creating on Ultros!

Going Conjurer for those sweet healer queues. Planning on possibly rolling Dark Knight tank after 30, or Astrologian.

Seem good?

Bowlie

Banned

Going Conjurer for those sweet healer queues. Planning on possibly rolling Dark Knight tank after 30, or Astrologian.

Seem good?

That's going to do you good, exo :D

Come, come, and join the GAF FC~~

lots of gafia people here

Trojita

Anyway, I ended up using Dragon Sight macro and my life had gotten soooo much easier, I only have to approach nearest melee now lol

Pray tell what is this?

Edit:

Is it this one?

/macroicon "Dragon Sight"
/focustarget
/targetpc
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/target <f>

Trojita

Seem good?

You can't use Dark Knight or Astrologian until you get to Ishgarde after level 50 :(

(unless I missed something and they changed this within the last two years?)

Top Bottom