• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finally downed Susano EX last night. That sinking feeling when you know someone is about to place themselves in the absolute worst possible angle for a storm cloud sucks, though.

Also, wow at that level 63 dungeon tanking set on females! Move over subligar, there's a new sheriff in town. =O

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For me the only issue is that it makes S-E look laughably incompetent. I just don't understand how a company with 4 MMOs under their belt still struggle with things like this.

ggiktA.jpg

blar

Neo Member
It's in 30 minutes. It's hitting EU during primetime hours.

Are we sure they're doing the logoff simultaneously worldwide? All the regions are on different data centers; seems like they could adjust it for each one to avoid prime time. Maybe this reset is just for NA worlds?

...either that or they just decided to do it 4am Japan time and let everyone else deal with it.

PowerTaxi

Banned
It's supposed to be DC-based, so we can at least hope they're not hitting Chaos, too, right now.

Not that it's the end of the world but initial announcement includes:

It's mostly just another string in "Weird ways FFXIV handles stuff", and it's a super weird solution to a bunch of exploits that have been in place for like four years through multiple infrastructure reworks. Not even rolling server restarts, just shutting off whole DCs at once.

They'd also previous claimed only Balmung/Gilgamesh/Levi in NA had actuall full servers due to too many people logged in at once, while most other servers just had login queues. Curious if that changed or if they don't want to make it obvious they're targeting the big servers.

I don't think it is; anyone on Aether see the message?

Balmung is on Aether, yeah?

One of the new subreddit posts is
"At 19:00 (GMT) / 20:00 (BST), we will be logging all characters out from the game. We ask you to please log out before we begin the process. (Balmung)"

Finally downed Susano EX last night. That sinking feeling when you know someone is about to place themselves in the absolute worst possible angle for a storm cloud sucks, though.

Also, wow at that level 63 dungeon tanking set on females! Move over subligar, there's a new sheriff in town. =O

It's almost just as bad on guys too. I have some serious questions for whoever designed 'fending' gear that exposes my chest and stomach.

Sami+

Does Recruit-A-Friend work for free trial people? Me and my gf want to try that so if someone can help us out that'd be rad. My Squeenix ID is CoolGuySami

scy

I'll go with I jumped the gun on it not being DC (well, region apparently) specific then; so far that makes it 12 PM PDT for Primal/Aether. My bad D:

Anyone else getting Suikoden vibes from the story?, no spoilers still not finished.

I mean, I basically just referred to Zenos throughout the story as budget Luca Blight.

Vic_Viper

Still working on the Heavensward MSQs but with my SAM. Picked up my preordered SB yesterday finally, but don't want to skip HW since it sounds like it's really good content and I've slogged through ARR already so might as well.

Just met up with Einstein the Dragoon in the story lol. Any idea of how long I have left to go? I know it's still fairly early into HW, just curious.

Sounds like SAM isnt getting a lot of love for Raid groups, is that the general consensus here? I figured after leveling it I would switch back to my NIN for Raids, if I ever get time lol.

Bowlie

Banned
Does Recruit-A-Friend work for free trial people? Me and my gf want to try that so if someone can help us out that'd be rad. My Squeenix ID is CoolGuySami

As long as you both have not paid for a sub (you can have bought the game, just not paid for a subscription) you can use the recruit code. I'd love to give you mine :3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's almost just as good on guys too. I have some serious praise for whoever designed 'fending' gear that exposes my chest and stomach.
fixt
Just met up with Einstein the Dragoon in the story lol. Any idea of how long I have left to go? I know it's still fairly early into HW, just curious.

Like, at the very start. He's one of your main "party members".

iammeiam

Look, I have my problems with Balmung, but Table Cloth is a national treasure and is to be celebrated.

So it'll be 12 across all the regions then?

We have no way of knowing. We know it's hitting NA today at noon Pacific, 3 PM eastern.

No indicator if it's a constant time or if they'll shift it around a little, or if that's the timeline they'll use in other regions.

It's a surprise!

eliza0224

Do you need to level other crafting classes to get the cross class skill? For example, if I'm levelling GSM and I want to use a lvl 50 CRP skill, I need to get carpenter to 50 first?

Without spoiling, can someone tell me if we get more info or at least if (warrior of light second Zenos fight spoiler)
the WOL new power happens again. When they were fighting Zenos in Doma and the words came into their head and then something happened. I’m curious if we see more later on.

Sylas

Without spoiling, can someone tell me if we get more info or at least if (warrior of light second Zenos fight spoiler)
the WOL new power happens again. When they were fighting Zenos in Doma and the words came into their head and then something happened. I’m curious if we see more later on.
That's not new.

Kenai

The log out thing is going to barely be a blip for anyone who is actually playing. You'll have to re-login... it will take less than a minute. What's the big deal?

I'm guessing it's to clear out people using the dialog/cutscene trick thing to be logged in while afk. Just doing it once like this seems fairly pointless though, yea.

Severance

Servers are back up, but I swear it made the queue slightly worse with everyone logging back in at the same time. It seems pointless to me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I don't remember seeing anything out of place. Must've been one of those dungeons where I saw nothing but DPS gear drop.

iammeiam

The level 63 gear was all the skimpy handkerchief-looking stuff.

Servers are back up, but I swear it made the queue slightly worse with everyone logging back in at the same time. It seems pointless to me.

Balmung apparently back up to 2k queue already.

Really curious if they restarted the servers or just killed connections. Does this mean daily S-rank resets until they get bored of it?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The level 63 gear was all the skimpy handkerchief-looking stuff.
Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. There was this girl's sister in a sidequest line near that area who wore that set.

Those were for tanks? I thought that was healer gear.

If I were Square, rather than do this crazy server shutdown, I would write a script finding every player who is talking to their retainer for more than 30 minutes without any inputs, and give those accounts a two week ban for the exploit. This would have the additional effect of clearing a bunch of people from the servers, and in a couple weeks all this furor should die down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I were Square, rather than do this crazy server shutdown, I would write a script finding every player who is talking to their retainer for more than 30 minutes without any inputs, and give those accounts a two week ban for the exploit. This would have the additional effect of clearing a bunch of people from the servers, and in a couple weeks all this furor should die down.

But if your solution to a networking problem was proactive and long-term you wouldn't be Square.

:thinking:

iammeiam

Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. There was this girl's sister in a sidequest line near that area who wore that set.

Tank version

Healer version

black dye reflects damage

My take on the exploit was starting a craft I never completed

I have also done this a few times and gotten distracted by valid situations

Similarly talking to my retainer and getting distracted by something else

Generally you don't ban people because your idle boot has been garbage for four years and is circumvented by like... basic game functionality.

If they figured out how to boot people doing that, no harm no foul? But dropping a ban for something that could be an exploit or could be alt-tabbing out to check something and not tabbing back in for a while is silly.

The queue for Balmung after the takedown was about 800 people and it took about 5 minutes. I can live with this

The million dollar question is if this fixes the massive queues at night, at all. Levi has basically been constantly accessible since the first few days of EA, barring a few mass-logout waits, so there's not much gain here either way. If this fixes Balmung's queue, then at least it accomplishes something. But if all that happens is everyone logged back in and the queues in primitime stay awful...

B-Dex

My male Roe is in a samurai inspired healing speedo with booties and a tiara. Thank you S-E.

scy

maintenance or whatever over?

It's over, queues will vary based on server; Balmung got up to 2k+, Gilgamesh closed in on 1k. I hit Leviathan pretty early so only saw the 200-300 ranges but I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5-600 like Excal and a few others did. For what it's worth, those longer queues are actually moving so people are logging in. At the same time, many of them were already logged in and without a queue time before it so suddenly gaining some amount of downtime is a thing.

We'll see what happens when primetime hits and how it goes for east coast to west coast as the night goes by, I guess? ~30 minute or so interruption isn't the end of the world but I'm not sure it's doing anything long-term outside of many servers suddenly gaining an interruption of service they didn't have before at all.

AgeEighty

The queue for Balmung after the takedown was about 800 people and it took about 5 minutes. I can live with this

That won't last, though. It's going to go right back to where it was as soon as people start coming home from work/school.

It's not like there were ever that many people idling during peak hours; the same number of people are going to be wanting to play. So it's going to be more or less the same size queue, it's just going to be different people waiting in it.

Beartruck

Congratulations on selecting the correct playable race friend; as for what class to play, one of the beauties of this game is you can play anything and everything on a single character, pick what looks fun to you without fear as you can change your mind any time. In the interest of queue times, Tanks (Gladiator/Paladin Marauder/Warrior Dark Knight) are largely in demand.
Haha yep, I thought Lalafell would be Ironically funny to play as since i'm incredibly tall IRL. Plus they remind me of the Lilties from crystal chronicles.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's almost just as bad on guys too. I have some serious questions for whoever designed 'fending' gear that exposes my chest and stomach.

Yeah, it's silly. If I want skimpy gear I'll glamour on a swimsuit of something. =\ I much prefer stuff like the Demon Armor of Fending. It's badass and actually looks like reasonably functional armor. =p

scy

Past few days I've had a queue on Ultros, but they've been really short. Under 50.

Those are typically not a real queue; you can cancel the log in and it'll let you in immediately. It's mostly just a log-in throttling rather than a real queue.

Robin64

Another Menagerie group that fell apart after just two wipes. Annoyingly, the people who left in a huff first were the ones consistently falling off etc.

Top Bottom