• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

TheExodu5

Banned
You can't use Dark Knight or Astrologian until you get to Ishgarde after level 50 :(

(unless I missed something and they changed this within the last two years?)

Yeah no worries. Plan on playing Conjurer / White Mage until then. Might stick with White Mage, or move over to one of those jobs at that point.

B.K.

How bad are your current accessories?

I don't have the game open right now, but I still have a few Augmented Shire and Proto Ultima accessories on. I've got one or two pieces in the mid 270s. I really have no luck with drops in the game. I used up all my luck with the RNG when I won the Jumbo Cacpot. That used all the luck I'll ever have with the game.

It's more tomestones than just buying accessories, but on the left side you get more out of them, since the only tome spends in that list are on things you can't get from primals, and you should be able to hit 300 without needing particularly great loot luck from the 70 dungeons at all.

I'll buy left side stuff eventually. I just want to hurry and do these primals while people are still somewhat patient and still doing learning parties. Accessories are cheap enough that it's just easier to buy two or three accessories than trying to grind out for a full 310 left side. Everyone talked about how cheap Verity stuff was, but it still seems pretty expensive to me. Especially with there being barely any content that gives them out.

Firebrand

Anyone got a decent BRD crossbar setup? (That doesn't use GCD/OGCD macros) I find I struggle more with the abilities now than before the expansion, and not keeping an eye on the battlefield but my icons.

MogCakes

I've noticed tanks actually appreciate my Dragon Sights amd make the effort to stay within range, as opposed to literally every other DPS who fling around out of range because they've tunnel visioned.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've noticed tanks actually appreciate my Dragon Sights amd make the effort to stay within range, as opposed to literally every other DPS who fling around out of range because they've tunnel visioned.

Did you know the tether has a dragon head on it that shoots out? It happens really fast, but it is there.

r0cnh7jlkb6z.png

Looks kinda lewd

Etroveria

Neo Member
Pray tell what is this?

Edit:

Is it this one?

/macroicon "Dragon Sight"
/focustarget
/targetpc
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/target <f>

I'm on mobile so I derped out on quoting but it's yami4ct's post here http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=242031832. I think it's more or less the same, though I'm not sure if last is supposed to cancel pt member target. I have yet to test specified party member macro though, it's probably less risky because I ended up giving sight to a healer once lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh wow.
I guess the purge worked.
Balmung's queues have been no less than 1500 logging in during the evenings this week.
Today's queue at 5:15 pm: 34.

Finally hit 70, ready for the final trial and getting through the EX fights

I'm actually surprised. I thought Plenary was going to be bad, but not fucking Featherfoot bad. Is this supposed to be a fucking joke? Not only is the proc rate pitiful but when it does proc the tooltip is fucking insane since it says "heals nearby party members" when it only heals people with Confession stacks like the media tour tooltip. I would expect a skill like this at level 12 not at fucking 70, at this point I'm keeping it in the toolbar out of pity, this is almost as bad as Tribind and friends.

MogCakes

Did you know the tether has a dragon head on it that shoots out? It happens really fast, but it is there.

r0cnh7jlkb6z.png

Looks kinda lewd
Saw that on reddit earlier. I know what I'm adding to my macro tonight.

/p Take my (Dragon Sight) deep inside you sempai <se.7>

scy

I don't have the game open right now, but I still have a few Augmented Shire and Proto Ultima accessories on. I've got one or two pieces in the mid 270s. I really have no luck with drops in the game. I used up all my luck with the RNG when I won the Jumbo Cacpot. That used all the luck I'll ever have with the game.

At the same time, we're usually tanking in i270 Slaying still anyway so it's not really a huge concern on the accessory side really. ilvl requires and all I suppose but still.

I'll buy left side stuff eventually. I just want to hurry and do these primals while people are still somewhat patient and still doing learning parties. Accessories are cheap enough that it's just easier to buy two or three accessories than trying to grind out for a full 310 left side. Everyone talked about how cheap Verity stuff was, but it still seems pretty expensive to me. Especially with there being barely any content that gives them out.

Basically, I'd suggest going for the belt and probably the boots as far as left side cheap pieces are concerned. Three accessories is roughly the same price but have worse actual stat gains; boots may just be +20 over your AF3 but your belt is probably lagging behind enough for this to be a sizable gain too. Verity does come at a pretty good rate and the gear prices are half their normal costs so it's fairly quick to earn them.

I dunno. I'm more on the side of I don't really see the learning party rush dwindling that fast still to the point that a few more 70 dungeon runs won't hurt your chances. I see a few every night as I look for disaster PFs to poke at.

iammeiam

Finally hit 70, ready for the final trial and getting through the EX fights

I'm actually surprised. I thought Plenary was going to be bad, but not fucking Featherfoot bad. Is this supposed to be a fucking joke? Not only is the proc rate pitiful but when it does proc the tooltip is fucking insane since it says "heals nearby party members" when it only heals people with Confession stacks like the media tour tooltip. I would expect a skill like this at level 12 not at fucking 70, at this point I'm keeping it in the toolbar out of pity, this is almost as bad as Tribind and friends.

Plenary is so bad you had people condescendingly cutting into discussions all over the Internet going "ACTUALLY it works like <explanation that is less stupid, but also not how it works." Because the way it works defied all logical belief.

I feel like they could have gotten away with Plenary or lilies, but not both.

Plenary is so bad you had people condescendingly cutting into discussions all over the Internet going "ACTUALLY it works like <explanation that is less stupid, but also not how it works." Because the way it works defied all logical belief.

I feel like they could have gotten away with Plenary or lilies, but not both.
I was using the shit out of Cure 2 in a shoddy run for the final boss of the final dungeon and while I had Lilies for days I got to use Plenary like twice on the tank and the heal is so awful I still needed another heal on him to top him off after a buster.

Scratch that, I'd rather have Tribind at 70.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ranking primal dialogue/quotes:

Susanoo
Ravana
Sophia
Lakshmi
Zurvan
Shiva
Garuda
Titan
Leviathan
Ifrit
Sephirot
Ramuh

Boogins

Can I rest download the expansion on ps4 and be good to go or is the entire or proper download once you login into the launcher?

Zomba13

Wow thanks, you guys are a great help. With enough assistance maybe one day I won't contribute to the dragoon floor tank meme any further! Probably not, but worth trying!

It's a job trait unfortunately. Only way to get rid of it is to switch to SAM or MNK or something else.

Any Paladins know what materia to aim for at 70?

Slaying i270 accessories. I put VIT on mine (only up to level 5 materia).

Put Direct Hit on a bunch of my left side stuff since new tank gear doesn't have it normally.

If you are using VIT accessories then you can probably put Strength 6 on them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like, i really want Lakshmi to hang out with Shiva and Ravana to have a beer with Susanoo.

Severance

Wow. I was not anticipating the difficulty of (What I assume to be) the final main scenario quest, Stormblood. It's quite an awakening after taking a year off and breezing through levelling hah.

I wiped through the time limit in my first duty finder group against Shinryu. I figured it'd be no problem, I didn't even read up on it. I personally got it down after a couple wipes, but damn. Someone in the group was saying it was their 8th group through duty finder without clearing it, that's brutal. I'm not sure whether I like the difficulty or not considering endgame content is gated behind it. I don't mind personally, but a lot of people in the group had a really negative attitude about it. I almost think it's too much for a MSQ anyway.

I haven't updated in a bit but I recently finally got through ARR (Thank you again to the Gaffers that allowed me to do the final two dungeons watching cut scenes!) and have been working on 2.x quests though I've been distracted with side quests that lead to trials and such and thus I felt where worth doing.

Which brings me reaching what I believe to be the very last quest in what I feel is easily the best content in the game thus far, the long string of detective quests. I wondered if I should bother with this quest at the start, helping a little cat lady standing near graves but thank goodness I did because I'd never have imagined this string of quests would lead me to multiple staples from the FF series
Gilgamesh, Ultros, and Typhon
and trial battles against them :D It's a pretty damn funny quest line at times too, just a lot of fun and I enjoy the mystery element through out. Leagues better than any quest I've done thus far and a shame it's about to end. I'd have like to have seen other's reaction to this quest line back when you guys were playing this haha On the other hand, I can get back to plugging away at the MSQ more aggressively again. Those quests are truly uninspired. Hey savior of the world, Hero of Light, we have dozens of low ranking Scions who do nothing but loiter at the HQ but could you go across the land and collect some fucking tea leaves to lower the stress of all the worthless members? Oh, while you're at it, how about taking this pair of earrings to be repaired? .....really? At least it's finally going to get more interesting where I'm at now, I'm about to confront the fish tribemen to try and prevent Leviathan and I always look forward to fighting a new primal. Not to mention seeing what the FFXIV rendition of old staples will look like.

I stumbled upon the Odin trial quest line too but am gated by Ilvl for it. I didn't expect to be gated there so soon but I finally obtained some accessories via the MSQ which has me just one ilvl away from being able to fight him so hopefully soon. Speaking of primals, I was surprised to unlocks the EX version of the Mog King fight so soon after fighting him the first time on HM. It felt a little funny attacking Moogles but interesting at the same time. I encountered him just in time too because he's coming to FFBE this week.

I swapped from Monk to Samurai as soon as I was able and am happy I can play him through 2.x on since it will be a while before I hit SB. I'm eager to get to 2.5 or 2.55 and experience all the praised story content from there on. I'm not really sure how to best use SAM yet and the pics people post in here are confusing to me namely because it's all Japanese named moves and I don't recognize all the skill icons yet. I should hunt for a youtube vid that explains everything while demonstrating it. I haven't brought him in to PoTD yet as there's no need where I'm at. It's so freaking nice to not have level gates for a long stretch, I hate those gates. So I can just do any quest I stumble on or continue the MSQ non-stop through this stretch which is great and I'll level naturally doing so. Alas, you get awful xp from them so I will quickly hit the wall again when I reach 3.0 ha I might just grind the rest of the way to 60 in PoTD when I reach 3.0 before staring it and then I can just enjoy the story straight through. I'm currently at 52 so I doubt it'd take long especially if I manage to go up another level or two by the end of 2.x.

I have a couple questions:

1. Should I be doing more roulette's than the leveling one now? Or is that solely for grinding poetics, granting multiple options to make it a little less tedious?

2. As a SAM, what should I be saving Poetics towards? I looked Poetics up and saw there's a vendor that takes them but all the gear she had were for the older classes, didn't see anything for SAM or RDM. Is there other important uses for this currency besides gear? Basically asking for guidance so I don't waste these things.

3. I'm guessing all the better gear for SAM and RDM are in the SB zones? I'm still on the starting equipment from the first or second SAM quest currently. Maybe through the SAM quest line too but those or normally focused on skills.

4. Those of you playing on PS4 and that use a KB, do you play with the controller and swap to board solely to type? Or are you using KB and mouse? I'm curious how the former works in practice. I was thinking of grabbing a keyboard just to type to party members and especially gaffers but I'd be setting the controller down and plopping the KB on my lap to type real quick and then switching back. I figure it won't be too bad as I can type quick but wouldn't be practical in the middle of a fight. Still, it'd be a hell of a lot faster than with the DS4. On that note, is there a consensus on the best KB if you're not strictly looking for a budget one?

Robin64

Wow. I was not anticipating the difficulty of (What I assume to be) the final main scenario quest, Stormblood. It's quite an awakening after taking a year off and breezing through levelling hah.

I wiped through the time limit in my first duty finder group against Shinryu. I figured it'd be no problem, I didn't even read up on it. I personally got it down after a couple wipes, but damn. Someone in the group was saying it was their 8th group through duty finder without clearing it, that's brutal. I'm not sure whether I like the difficulty or not considering endgame content is gated behind it. I don't mind personally, but a lot of people in the group had a really negative attitude about it. I almost think it's too much for a MSQ anyway.

I'll be on my fourth group when I attempt it again tomorrow. Been so close a few times, but one person making a mistake (which is quite common, the fight is long, it wears you down) can really spell trouble. There's nothing especially hard there, but there's a lot of it and for a long time.

It's a bit unforgiving but at some point people need to actually need to do some mechanics in important fights.

Is it too much to expect someone to read the spell on a cast bar, turn the camera around and then walk to the edge of the platform as to not fall instead of shouting RP lines at the boss?

Baliis

1. Should I be doing more roulette's than the leveling one now? Or is that solely for grinding poetics, granting multiple options to make it a little less tedious?

2. As a SAM, what should I be saving Poetics towards? I looked Poetics up and saw there's a vendor that takes them but all the gear she had were for the older classes, didn't see anything for SAM or RDM. Is there other important uses for this currency besides gear? Basically asking for guidance so I don't waste these things.

3. I'm guessing all the better gear for SAM and RDM are in the SB zones? I'm still on the starting equipment from the first or second SAM quest currently. Maybe through the SAM quest line too but those or normally focused on skills.

4. Those of you playing on PS4 and that use a KB, do you play with the controller and swap to board solely to type? Or are you using KB and mouse? I'm curious how the former works in practice. I was thinking of grabbing a keyboard just to type to party members and especially gaffers but I'd be setting the controller down and plopping the KB on my lap to type real quick and then switching back. I figure it won't be too bad as I can type quick but wouldn't be practical in the middle of a fight. Still, it'd be a hell of a lot faster than with the DS4. On that note, is there a consensus on the best KB if you're not strictly looking for a budget one?

1. You could maybe do the MSQ roulette as well, I don't recall how much xp it gives if it's worth it or not.

2/3. You can buy Ironworks gear from the vendor in Mor Dhona. I don't recall what class SAM shares gear with but just look for the DoW ones and one of them should have SAM listed on it. Idk what level the starter gear for SAM/RDM is, but you can use the Ironworks stuff all the way to the start of Heavensward content which will start giving you the 50+ gear.

4. Don't play on PS4 personally, but I've seen others in the thread mention using key boards or chat pads for typing.

1. You could maybe do the MSQ roulette as well, I don't recall how much xp it gives if it's worth it or not.

2/3. You can buy Ironworks gear from the vendor in Mor Dhona. I don't recall what class SAM shares gear with but just look for the DoW ones and one of them should have SAM listed on it. Idk what level the starter gear for SAM/RDM is, but you can use the Ironworks stuff all the way to the start of Heavensward content which will start giving you the 50+ gear.

4. Don't play on PS4 personally, but I've seen others in the thread mention using key boards or chat pads for typing.

They share with Monk which is why I started out as a Pugilist then Monk but completely spaced that fact when looking over the store. Oh, so all that stuff is inferior to the 3.0 gear? I figured that store was updated with each expansion. Why do people still farm poetics then? I suppose I should just wait until 3.0 then, doubt the 2.x content will be a problem for me and I won't be looking at the Raid content and such until I finish all the story through 4.0 most likely unless the MSQ takes me there.

Yeah Gaffers during the final MSQ in ARR recommended I get one since I couldn't interact with them much while we ran it. I just sure if they were playing with KB/Mouse or only using the KB to chat.

My take on the exploit was starting a craft I never completed

I have also done this a few times and gotten distracted by valid situations

Similarly talking to my retainer and getting distracted by something else

Generally you don't ban people because your idle boot has been garbage for four years and is circumvented by like... basic game functionality.

If they figured out how to boot people doing that, no harm no foul? But dropping a ban for something that could be an exploit or could be alt-tabbing out to check something and not tabbing back in for a while is silly.
If you are gone from the game for hours in this situation, then yes, you should be temporarily banned. The number of people validly doing something like this for over an hour is going to be a super tiny amount. As for game functionality, Square has banned people before for knowingly making use of game functionality for an exploit, for example in FFXI when you could sell an item to a vendor for more than that item cost to buy from that same vendor. Square leveled temporary bans on all of the people who made use of that to become rich.

Baliis

They share with Monk which is why I started out as a Pugilist then Monk but completely spaced that fact when looking over the store. Oh, so all that stuff is inferior to the 3.0 gear? I figured that store was updated with each expansion. Why do people still farm poetics then? I suppose I should just wait until 3.0 then, doubt the 2.x content will be a problem for me and I won't be looking at the Raid content and such until I finish all the story through 4.0 most likely unless the MSQ takes me there.

Yeah Gaffers during the final MSQ in ARR recommended I get one since I couldn't interact with them much while we ran it. I just sure if they were playing with KB/Mouse or only using the KB to chat.

I forget exactly when the 3.0 stuff gets better than Ironworks, but yeah you'll replace it. You can also use poetics to buy the Shire gear at 60 I think? Which will carry you through all the 3.x stuff into 4.0 and you'll start replacing it. You also use poetics to buy various things for the relic weapons so people farm them for that. Basically anything that used to be bought with a tome that's obsolete now just defaults to poetics so they're useful for lots of things.

You also just get a lot of them just doing other things so it's not like people necessarily farm them. I've spent like 2500 of them since SB released that I've just gotten from roulette and doing pvp/dungeons.

If you are gone from the game for hours in this situation, then yes, you should be temporarily banned. The number of people validly doing something like this for over an hour is going to be a super tiny amount. As for game functionality, Square has banned people before for knowingly making use of game functionality for an exploit, for example in FFXI when you could sell an item to a vendor for more than that item cost to buy from that same vendor. Square leveled temporary bans on all of the people who made use of that to become rich.

Using an exploit to become rich and using an ingame feature to get around the 30mins afk timer isn't quite the same. Especially when the later can be done randomly without knowledge of the "exploit", since it works by just opening a window with a vendor or retainer too, it isn't just starting a craft then going afk. And in the end even if they did fix it, it'd be easy to circumvent with a 3rd party program/automated keyboard, simply by moving once every 15mins or whatever. Considering it can be done in personnal instances(inn, house, appartment, solo dungeon, solo duty), there'd be no way for people to report that even if they noticed anyway.

In the end, it's a pointless fight. What they probably needed was tech that would let them create instanced version of a given world on different servers, so whenever the first server is full, you simply log in Balmung 2-5 or whatever. Obviously, this is a huge undertaking since it requires the proper infrastructure for it, which I assume they don't have, so it's not a simple fix by any means, but short of that they can't really do much, people will afk to avoid 2hours queues when they come back from work, that's just a given on any mmo.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Ranking primal dialogue/quotes:

Susanoo
Ravana
Sophia
Lakshmi
Zurvan
Shiva
Garuda
Titan
Leviathan
Ifrit
Sephirot
Ramuh

I keep the voice acting in Japanese and always love the "Kya! Kya! Kya!" Susano does as he enters the orb phase. XD

iammeiam

Did they then proceed to leave the exploit in FFXI for four years, watch as a large slice of the population used it during multiple product launches, and do nothing about it only to decide to star banning four years later?

This isn't some sneaky thing evil masterminds have been keeping on the DL for years. It's been public knowledge for ages, and this is them deeming the situation not worth addressing since 2.0. Four years later, its unsurprising that the playerbase at large considers it an insignificant offense because that is how they have treated it.

Much like not having a queue mechanism set up for solo instances becomes progressively less acceptable with time, their decision to not fix their method of idlebooting is on them and the decision to instead just forcelog regions out en masse? Also on them. That they performed multiple data center moves and still have no solution for Gilgamesh or Balmung? Still them.

Using an exploit to become rich and using an ingame feature to get around the 30mins afk timer isn't quite the same. Especially when the later can be done randomly without knowledge of the "exploit", since it works by just opening a window with a vendor or retainer too, it isn't just starting a craft then going afk. And in the end even if they did fix it, it'd be easy to circumvent with a 3rd party program/automated keyboard, simply by moving once every 15mins or whatever. Considering it can be done in personnal instances(inn, house, appartment, solo dungeon, solo duty), there'd be no way for people to report that even if they noticed anyway.

They actually probably could make a not insignificant dent in the problem, because while PC users will have a bunch of easy options open, PS4 users would be more limited in ways to circumvent it.

DarkKyo

IMO the moment before final steps of faith hasn't been topped for me and maybe since I prefer the theme of revenge, shouldering the burden of your ancestors etc I still like HW better. I consider SB a fantastic expansion though.

I feel the same exact way. Stormblood is quite good but Heavensward is the GOAT mmo expansion. I think HW did everything better, except maybe for Stormblood having more interesting and unique dungeons/bosses.

Tanked Tamtara today and boy some people are really critical. The healer got hit a few times and I didn't reply much as it's awkaward still with the Kb+Dualshock but I'm tempted to suck it up and take the DPS queue rather then be called a bot.

We still beat the instance quick and no one died. Hell I tanked the last boss with no UI as I hit some combination to hide it during the fight.

Kremzeek

Forcing everyone to log off is their solve for AFK exploits?

Utter shite, Square. FIX YOUR SHIT. Don't tell me it's "hard" either. You're making bank with FF14.

Forcing everyone to log off is their solve for AFK exploits?

Utter shite, Square. FIX YOUR SHIT. Don't tell me it's "hard" either. You're making bank with FF14.

Surpringly...it worked for me. When I arrived to my house today only had around 300 queue where before was 1500+

At least for today.

Top Bottom