• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Guess Who

Banned
I knew you'd say that. Haha...

I don't hate her... more like I feel she was uninteresting. She started off with a great reveal but then it went downhill for me. I thought she'd have a different motivation but it was obvious she was Zenos's lapdog after he pulled her hair. I just thought.... she was boring after that.

After that
hair-pull
scene I was kind of hoping she'd
heel-face turn on Zenos
. Bit disappointed it didn't happen.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Any WAR mains here that can give me their SB patch change impressions since its been out for a while now? There's been a lot of negativity, but after trying all 3 tanks (just got Paladin unlocked, have DRK to 60 before the SB changes) I still feel the most attached to WAR since I ran ARR with it. I'm only lvl 60 though and haven't really played with it much post patch since I've been busy leveling other classes, so I'm interested to hear what someone with more experience has to say.

As an aside, AST is a blast. I didn't think I'd like the card mechanic this much, but I'm still constantly forgetting to actually draw.

WAR isn't too different really, just less indestructible.

Inner release, the skill you get at 70, allows you to get 6 fell cleaves in and you feel like a total monster those 20 seconds. Having a gap closer is very nice as well.

I seem to be having aggro issues, but this seems to be the case with tanks across the board currently.

Isaccard

I just noticed this game has a free trial up to level 35. Thinking of rolling lalafell. Heard the game is very dps heavy right now. What would be a good class to lean into?

Congratulations on selecting the correct playable race friend; as for what class to play, one of the beauties of this game is you can play anything and everything on a single character, pick what looks fun to you without fear as you can change your mind any time. In the interest of queue times, Tanks (Gladiator/Paladin Marauder/Warrior Dark Knight) are largely in demand.

Aeana

There's no real difference when to use Moulinets and how much in a row since they always do the same damage, so consider the size of the pack and how long they're gonna live - but even that doesn't matter very much because it's totally okay to just open the next with three or four moulinets (although watch the aggro).

Embolden buffs Enchanted Moulient so don't forget about that.

Well there is one difference, which is that manafication is a percentage based mana increase, which means it's more efficient to use it when your mana is higher vs lower. So depleting your mana with a third moulinet means you're going to have to do more casts to get your mana back to the point where manafication will bring you above 75 mana again.

Shahed

Any WAR mains here that can give me their SB patch change impressions since its been out for a while now? There's been a lot of negativity, but after trying all 3 tanks (just got Paladin unlocked, have DRK to 60 before the SB changes) I still feel the most attached to WAR since I ran ARR with it. I'm only lvl 60 though and haven't really played with it much post patch since I've been busy leveling other classes, so I'm interested to hear what someone with more experience has to say.

As an aside, AST is a blast. I didn't think I'd like the card mechanic this much, but I'm still constantly forgetting to actually draw.
We don't really have much utility. Before before a group wide hit we could Path to help people survivez but now we can't do anything. Sure we can Reprisal, but so can PLD and DRK. In comparison DRK can use Blackest Night as a shield on someone, PLD can Intervention, Divine Veil, Cover AND Passage of Arms. The addition of Rampart makes WAR in my opinion the best defensive tank if all you want to do is hold aggro and survive in Tank stance, but you can't do much to help other's. intervention in particular feels so nice to use on your tanking buddy :p

Offensively Upheaval is nice, Onslaught as a gap closer is very situational. Inner Release is very good although it makes Unchained less useful since they share a timer. It's also somewhat fight dependant in being allowed to use it because despite it saying it will prevent Stuns, Slows and Knockbacks, it won't as Susano Ex shows. In a similar manner Shake it Off is like the most useless skill ever. Just like how Inner Release was meant to stop Stuns and stuff, Shake it Off is meant to cure negative Status Effect. But since both their perks could mean cheesing or ignoring certsin specific status effects and mechanics, essentially they won't work on anything useful. Constant Fell Cleaves doesn't feel all that good and while I haven't played DRK, PLD feels very good when alternating your Flight or Fight and Requiescat/Holy Spirit windows.

The tank stance swapping is annoying on all tanks, but it's the biggest detriment to WAR. Their kit both offensive and defenensive relies heavily on Beast Gauge and the penalty really affects them, especially when certain moves are locked behind their stance. PLD by comparison can still use Sheltron and Intervention in either stance, and if they lose some bar it doesn't particularly matter really.

I haven't got PLD quite to 70 yet, and I'll work on DRK after. In terms of viability WAR is still perfectly capable of anything. It's just not as fun to play with the tank stance change as it use to feel so fluid. Lack of Flash in dungeons csn be annoying nkw trying to group enemies on the pull where I'll now have to mess around with targeting and angles anr maybe using multiple Overpowers on different enemies on approach, instead of a simple Flash as I run through. It also burns TP reallu fast. I'm thinking I might switch to PLD for 8 man and WAR for dungeons

dramatis

I knew you'd say that. Haha...

I don't hate her... more like I feel she was uninteresting. She started off with a great reveal but then it went downhill for me. I thought she'd have a different motivation but it was obvious she was Zenos's lapdog after he pulled her hair. I just thought.... she was boring after that.
I don't think that scene demonstrated Yotsuyu was Zenos's lapdog. I thought it was quite clear that she accepted the position of viceroy because she got to do something she wanted. It just so happens that what she wanted to do is what Zenos wanted her to do. It was a mutually beneficial relationship, even if the power balance was unequal.

While I agree that if you take Stormblood's story by itself, Yotsuyu is somewhat lacking, but her survival at the end ensures that there is likely to be development for her in the future. Which I am interested in, because it is clear from the flashback and her story that Doma was not a wonderful perfect country before the takeover by the Garleans. Hien is tasked not only with rebuilding, but with building a new, better Doma altogether. We might have the chance to explore the history and injustices of Doma in patch story with Yotsuyu.

On a side note, Stormblood is oddly a much better execution of the same premise as FF15 lol

wamberz1

Forever salty at no Scourge animation, though.
Gone but never forgotten. It will be sorely missed :(
or that I wish TBN lasted slightly longer so I didn't have to face the depressing realization that it's actually really hard to take ~8.5k damage in 5 seconds.
I've completely stopped using it on myself outside of hard hitting tankbusters. Nothing else really deals enough damage to us unless we get really lucky with a break in mechanics, So 90% of the time I'm throwing it on the healer with the least health during room-wide AOE's/stacking attacks. Which fortunately have been highly frequent so far.

But man, when it pops and you hear that soound effect it's sooo satisfying. I'm really glad that we got a more dynamic mitigation tool, even if numbers wise it isn't great.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly the only big issue with the SB story for me was.

It didn't really feel like you were taking part in anything SUPER BIG at any moment when attacking the empire. Like it felt like they barely ever had a few dudes guarding stuff you defeated those and OMG WE FREE'D TWO COUNTIES basically

The whole omg we need the country to rise up in retaliation and we need everyone of our former allies to help was barely felt. Like I know some 1.0 ending / 2.0 opening type war shit was going on but it was never really shown in any shape or form

eliza0224

How bad is your lag, and how frequently is occasional? If we're talking fifteen seconds of can't do anything every few minutes, it might be a problem, but if it's just that your GCDs are a little slow I wouldn't worry too much, and if it's a fairly rare occurrence people are usually cool about it. If you start a tank or healer from 1, you'll get very slowly eased into it. Sastasha can be run at-level without a tank or without a healer (healer-tanking Sastasha is a time honored tradition when DF tanks bail), so lag shouldn't cause a wipe. You can get a feel for it and go from there?
Honestly, I think it depends on the amount of players, cause I playing a while ago and I had zero lag. I can survive dungeons, but in higher end content 15 seconds of lag could be deadly haha. I'll stick to dungeons with the AST.

iammeiam

In a similar manner Shake it Off is like the most useless skill ever. Just like how Inner Release was meant to stop Stuns and stuff, Shake it Off is meant to cure negative Status Effect. But since both their perks could mean cheesing or ignoring certsin specific status effects and mechanics, essentially they won't work on anything useful.

The one thing that seems kind of neat about Shake It Off is it dumps everything; it won't have much raid application, but apparently you can stand in a Bad Breath and then Shake It Off and dump all the debuffs in one go.

Not raid application or anything, but I guess nice for PotD?

scy

By and large, the job is okay? I'll lead with that. It's fully functional still. Defensively, it's situated slightly better than before with Rampart replacing Foresight. As of current encounters, they have the best set of cooldowns for the fights (e.g., Susano EX times out at 120s cycles you're eating tank busters; WAR cooldowns excel at that time frame) which is an advantage they'll be able to leverage the entire tier. As far as per GCD use is concerned, they do still win the tank DPS war ever-so-slightly and they do have the best threat combo from a "what this costs me to do" perspective. Onslaught is a nice bonus skill to have for all the mechanics that force you away (plus it has a 10x multiplier for enmity) or even just to cheat bonus DPS on some mechanics (e.g., Susano rocks, Lakshmi Vril pick ups, Lakshmi adds) by skipping the whole running around bit; Upheaval is fairly generic outside of the "watch HP% before hitting" side of it but it's the obligatory other way to spend resource and it being oGCD makes it a lot more useful.

That out of the way, I'm not a fan of their changes when it comes to actually playing Warrior. People can go "who the fuck cares?" or "git gud" to it but having leftover meter due to a stance dance is awkward. Not feeling as fluid for Defiance->Deliverance openers for building threat leads is a really strange spot to be in. The loss of Bloodbath removed a sense of agency to your survival in AoE pulls or even burst windows on bosses in Deliverance, which is made all the worse by not having "oshit, Defiance+Equilibrium" as a freebie option anymore. Yes, the free stance change could largely be considered "too good" so it's whining over losing something arguably OP but it really does feel to weigh down your fluidity.

Rotation wise, putting Path in isn't a big deal. Inner Release is fun to mess with and it's a really satisfying bit of burst. However, we're also looking at a case of only ever really spending meter when inside of Berserk OR if you're overcapping (and, if so, only spending via oGCDs)? So min-max angle of your meter is shifted towards tying Fell Cleave to Berserk being up and any delay of getting 100 meter + Berserk activation, ideally with Path queued up, is a loss. Having Berserk ready but needing to build meter is a pretty big hit and a Fell Cleave out of Berserk isn't really worth it; on top of that, you'd rather overcap then use a Fell Cleave if it means delaying Berserk even a single GCD. It's kind of awkward and leads to moments of I'd rather spend 20 on Onslaught then use a Fell Cleave because Berserk is 5 seconds from being up.

Ultimately, they're still fine as far as tanking content is concerned and if you find everything about playing one still fun then by all means, they're still great for what you want to do. My view is basically the less I care about how efficient I am with the job, the more 'fun' I have with it; the deeper I try to dig into getting the most out of it again, the more finicky and clunky it starts to feel and the more some small bad choices lead to bigger desyncs in their rotation and the more I start to nitpick decisions.

Basically giant wall of text so if you have any specific questions, that works too. I've still defaulted to doing more stuff on WAR since 3.X comfort but I'm far more satisfied with DRK or PLD currently in 4.0.

duckroll

Honestly the only big issue with the SB story for me was.

It didn't really feel like you were taking part in anything SUPER BIG at any moment when attacking the empire. Like it felt like they barely ever had a few dudes guarding stuff you defeated those and OMG WE FREE'D TWO COUNTIES basically

The whole omg we need the country to rise up in retaliation and we need everyone of our former allies to help was barely felt. Like I know some 1.0 ending / 2.0 opening type war shit was going on but it was never really shown in any shape or form

Well if you think about it, reclaiming Doma and Ala Mhigo amounted to reclaiming two castles and a bunch of ruins. The countries have been weathered by time, and the people broken. There really isn't much left after 20 or so years. The empire's resource commitment to the regions seem really low compared to the point where they originally conquered them. Zenos is clearly very bored of his position as viceroy.

The biggest fear that held people back from rebelling in the first place was retaliation from the empire. That is still a looming threat. I can't see how there won't be a response, which is why in 5.0 the fight has to be taken to the empire itself.

duckroll

Noob here

Just been introduced to Limit Breaks

Is it shared across the entire group or does each party member get to use theirs?

Thanks

The limit break bar is shared by the party. The different roles (DPS/Healer/Tank) have different limit breaks, so don't be the guy who blows the limit break just before it actually needs to be used on something more important. :)

Luminaire

Noob here

Just been introduced to Limit Breaks

Is it shared across the entire group or does each party member get to use theirs?

Thanks
Entire group in PVE. Limited to LB2 for 4-man groups, you get LB3 in 8-man groups and above.

You get a personal limit break in PVP called Adrenaline Rush.

Rue

WAR is still a lot of fun but there's some fundamental issues with it as it stands currently.

- Charge is cool when you get to use it, but having it require 20 BG was stupid. It forces you to still rely on tomahawk throw as your opener unless you save gauge from a previous fight. (which doesn't work in trials or some raids)

- Your damage is worse than the other two tanks because they've heavily punished stance switching, by you losing half your gauge and it being harder to maintain threat.

- Your sustainability is trash now. The loss of bloodbath is a great one. You feel like paper.

- The loss of Flash really sucks too. Your only source of AOE threat generation is overpower and Steel Cyclone when it's up. Which isn't terrible when you're able to build gauge.. (it really ruins tanking lower level dungeons that pop up with roulette) but it makes things harder.

That being said, I still really love the class. It's a lot of fun.. even being the worst Tank. It's got some really useful new skills like Inner Beast and Upheaval.

My only issue with SB is that the class changes feel like a knee-jerk reaction from HW.

Warrior was the best in HW, now worst in SB.

Scholar went from best to worst.

Machinist went from one of the best to worst.

Omni

Nidhogg was way cooler than anything in SB.

Probably in the minority but I consider Stormblood to be a bit of a step down in comparison to HW. At least in regards to story. Aside from that one scene near the start where you
fight Zeno for the first time
I never once felt the stakes of what was happening. Very lacklustre. The benchmark had more exciting scenes lmao

Final trial was great though

scy

For those who were curious on the log out thing:

[13:00]At 12:00 p.m. (PDT), we will be logging all characters out from the game. We ask you to please log out before we begin the process. More details: http://sqex.to/jbH

just went up in-game a few minutes ago. Please be excited.

Blitzhex

Anyone got links to samurai openers? I heard there's a 1 sen one and 3 sen one.
Right now I'm using hagakure early to get hissatsu: guren out during the opener.

Anyone got links to samurai openers? I heard there's a 1 sen one and 3 sen one.
Right now I'm using hagakure early to get hissatsu: guren out during the opener.
photo50828628505857659msyo.jpg

Aeana

Between levels 50-60, you can't beat PotD floors 51-60. It's about 3x better experience than a PvP match for a similar amount of time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well if you think about it, reclaiming Doma and Ala Mhigo amounted to reclaiming two castles and a bunch of ruins. The countries have been weathered by time, and the people broken. There really isn't much left after 20 or so years. The empire's resource commitment to the regions seem really low compared to the point where they originally conquered them. Zenos is clearly very bored of his position as viceroy.

The biggest fear that held people back from rebelling in the first place was retaliation from the empire. That is still a looming threat. I can't see how there won't be a response, which is why in 5.0 the fight has to be taken to the empire itself.

Yeah it makes sense specially with one of the final scenes with the emperor basically saying fuck all that shit kinda lol. Still felt a little less epic than I had hoped, the fight in the steppes was awesome though. I hope once the main war kicks in we get more stuff like that

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Code:
[IMG]https://thumbs.mic.com/YjNmZjg5YjcwYSMvSnZrM0FUM010MGo1ejBPS1M0dFduQTUtVWpBPS8xNngyMjM6MTM0N3g4NTcvODAweDQ1MC9maWx0ZXJzOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKTpxdWFsaXR5KDgwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9va2JoYXJ5eTVlMHQwenczZXNuNHd5MWdqdzgwcm1ob3lmZmlnaXluMHQxbmN3ZHJtYm9sZmRsempkNndoeWJiLmpwZw.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to take down that Eorzian, even if it is the last thing I'm going to do!

iammeiam

Probably in the minority but I consider Stormblood to be a bit of a step down in comparison to HW. At least in regards to story. Aside from that one scene near the start where you
I never once felt the stakes of what was happening. Very lacklustre. The benchmark had more exciting scenes lmao

I gave 2.55 a serious try, and was confronted with like
back-to-back scenes of heroic sacrifices and shocking deaths that all ended up being "JK they're totes fine"to basically the surprise of nobody in 3.0
The last time I gave the HW story a Serious Try, I gave up when they
stabbed Aymeric? I think? and then zoomed out on his body lying in an abandoned alley only to do the "JK he's totes fine" thing a few scenes later.

I watched the post-credit SB stuff, where they revealed
a couple of people they'd 'killed off' were totes fine

I am forced to conclude the story is just as strong as ever.

(In all seriousness, I was more impressed with the stuff around Pipin's early early solo instance than I think anything that happened in 3.0, so I dunno.)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I just hit 68, but so far I'm liking WAR.

Pros:
- The beast gauge thing is nice in that you can stock up more "wrath" than before, letting you bank big moves like Fell Cleave/IB/etc both offensively and defensively, if you want. It loosens up the rotation a bit if you want to keep your options open. It probably tightens itself back up again at 70 though, once people start establishing set rotations on how to use your Berserks.
- No pacify and shorter cooldown on Berserk is nice, though now it's so short I'm never sure if I should save it or if I should just burn it on cooldown.
- The Storm's Path change is nice in that now it's a part of your main rotation, and all three combo paths have their own purpose.
- New aggro tools like the AoE provoke and Shirk will help in raids, though they won't help much in pugs/dungeon runs.
- I agree with the removal of many skills like Mercy Stroke, Foresight, Fracture, and so on. Helps reduce clutter.

Downsides:
- Beast gauge penalty on stance dancing is quite punishing, though you partially could work around it by trying to burn as much meter as possible before stance switching. It hurts a lot during dungeon runs because normally you'd start a big pull with Defiance and then switch into Deliverance later. That doesn't work nearly as smoothly anymore.
- I REALLY miss Bloodbath. I'm not sure if it's because the SB dungeons are harder in general, but everything feels like it hurts a hell of a lot more. Midsized to big trash pulls are a lot harder to do without it.
- Aggro management has gotten a lot harder. Because your max aggro combo is no longer also your max damage combo, you always have to pick and choose between damage and aggro on single target. Other jobs, especially Red Mage and Samurai, burst like hell these days and it's a lot harder to grab/hold aggro on them, especially when you're trying to minimize your stance dancing because of the Wrath penalty.
- With the new Infuriate trait and shorter Berserk cooldown, it feels like I might not be able to plan out Fell Cleaves in Berserk so much anymore, because of a slightly unpredictable Infuriate cooldown that comes from its trait. I'm not sure about this yet, but will probably find out at 70.
- I'm mixed about disabling Infuriate outside combat. On one hand, it ends the debate about super unwieldy 50 second openers. On the other hand, not being able to pop a quick Infuriate > Unchained before pulling is awkward as fuck, especially now that the servers have moved to a location that's made it impossible for me to double weave without losing GCD time. Combine that with the extremely high burst damage from RDM and SAM, and you have a puzzle I haven't figured out yet.

wamberz1

Code:
[IMG]https://thumbs.mic.com/YjNmZjg5YjcwYSMvSnZrM0FUM010MGo1ejBPS1M0dFduQTUtVWpBPS8xNngyMjM6MTM0N3g4NTcvODAweDQ1MC9maWx0ZXJzOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKTpxdWFsaXR5KDgwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9va2JoYXJ5eTVlMHQwenczZXNuNHd5MWdqdzgwcm1ob3lmZmlnaXluMHQxbmN3ZHJtYm9sZmRsempkNndoeWJiLmpwZw.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to take down that Eorzian, even if it is the last thing I'm going to do!
Lmao

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The game's always struggled to deliver a sense of scale. It's like the Game of Thrones, where they can never muster more than 100 or so extras.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Code:

Wagram

Story and area wise I most certainly agree it's a step down (thought it's not bad).

However, I do feel that the antagonists of Stormblood are better.

Aeana

The log out thing is going to barely be a blip for anyone who is actually playing. You'll have to re-login... it will take less than a minute. What's the big deal?

wamberz1

The log out thing is going to barely be a blip for anyone who is actually playing. You'll have to re-login... it will take less than a minute. What's the big deal?
Yeah I don't really get it either. The system will warn you so it's not like you're going to be about to beat SuEx and then get disconnected.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Queue times on the bigger servers because everyone rushing to get back in at once

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For me the only issue is that it makes S-E look laughably incompetent. I just don't understand how a company with 4 MMOs under their belt still struggle with things like this.
It's at midnight though, right? Would be an issue at prime time but kicking AFKers out overnight is fine to me.

It's hitting Ultros in 30 minutes.

Midnight EST for Ultros is also technically still primetime since it catches the last of the EST players and the bulk of the PST players.

scy

It's at midnight though, right? Would be an issue at prime time but kicking AFKers out overnight is fine to me.

It's in 30 minutes. It's hitting EU during primetime hours.

Edit: Late to this edit but the EU outage is at an unknown time coming later. 12 PM PDT ended up just being Primal / Aether aka NA.

Lesath

Anybody else feel incredibly frustrated when they see side-quests pop up after MSQ progression? I think they could stand to cut half of them out and double the experience and we'd still be in a good place.

Also, it seems that the Far East is filled with poor schmucks who are down on their luck and don't feel like they can contribute to their community. Luckily, you take about 3-4 quests to wander halfway across the map and beat the shit out of things several times in order to help them find their life calling.

Ruff

Just got my first mount, things are a lot better now *cheers* Somehow unlocked a faster move speed on it too so I feel like sonic now. Was getting so tired of waiting for the sprint cooldown.

ebil

I never got a system notification for the simultaneous logout thing, are we sure it's at the same time for all data centers? I somehow doubt it.

It's supposed to be DC-based, so we can at least hope they're not hitting Chaos, too, right now.
Yeah, that would make more sense to me.

iammeiam

It's supposed to be DC-based, so we can at least hope they're not hitting Chaos, too, right now.

Not that it's the end of the world but initial announcement includes:

Players will not be able to log back into the game for about 10 minutes while this is being processed.

It's mostly just another string in "Weird ways FFXIV handles stuff", and it's a super weird solution to a bunch of exploits that have been in place for like four years through multiple infrastructure reworks. Not even rolling server restarts, just shutting off whole DCs at once.

They'd also previous claimed only Balmung/Gilgamesh/Levi in NA had actuall full servers due to too many people logged in at once, while most other servers just had login queues. Curious if that changed or if they don't want to make it obvious they're targeting the big servers.

I never got a system notification for the simultaneous logout thing, are we sure it's at the same time for all data centers? I somehow doubt it.

I don't think it is; anyone on Aether see the message?

Top Bottom