• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Moaradin

Story has been okay so far (up to 63), but I will say it's a step down from Heavensward. I was more invested in that (it's hard to outdo dragons). It also had the better buildup.

There's still a long ways though so it could blow my mind by the time it's over.

I'm not too far from you, but I'm loving it so far. It's even more focused than HW, which was already greatly improved. There hasn't been any weird detours that don't amount to much. The core cast is great and the motivation behind everything has been very strong.

I haven't played this since launch and had a few questions. Can I buy the steam version and use my old character/sync my account or are they completely separate?

Also, is there good controller support for the pc version? Just moved and my current setup makes the former preferable.

duckroll

I can't believe that even with Raubahn Extreme and Pipin Savage blocking the way for a good two days, people are still beating it this quick. MMOs are hardcore...

How much post-game content is there now anyway? I feel spoilt by being a newcoming and getting everything in ARR and HW immediately. I'm really afraid SB is going to be a wasteland of content once I finish the story.

Modoru

I can't believe that even with Raubahn Extreme and Pipin Savage blocking the way for a good two days, people are still beating it this quick. MMOs are hardcore...

How much post-game content is there now anyway? I feel spoilt by being a newcoming and getting everything in ARR and HW immediately. I'm really afraid SB is going to be a wasteland of content once I finish the story.
Endgame starts showing up 2 weeks? Or 4 after release, then Savage shortly after. The next patch comes in July.

Makikou

From what I've seen:
Hunts
2 lv70 dungeons in expert roulette
Susano & Lakshmi EX

Oh yeah and raid releases in July

I'm gated by the 65 story quest now. It was a perfect time to go to work. Spoilers for 4.0!
Man that fight with Zenos in Yanxia was so amazing... I thought I could beat him but nope he goes super saiyan and destroys the warrior of light. It was really cool how that battle ended but jesus christ Yotsuyu's hair getting pulled tightly by Zenos after that was crazy... then she says she wants the heads of Yugiri and her friends on the walls of the castle. Yikes, she better obey Zenos after that....

Looks like i'm going to the Azim Steppe next!

Wagram

Funny I'm at the same spot and I feel the exact opposite. Something about the story here so far feels focused in a way I wasn't expecting. It feels like stormblood has 1 goal and we are slowly but surely working towards that goal.

I'm pretty bored really. Nothing's happening.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Heartfyre

Scrubs are skipping cutscenes. Folks that don't Respect The Content.

Back to work today with a hair's breadth away from Level 68, though MIN and BTN are 63. Stupid livelihood, getting in the way of my MMO responsibilities...

Foxxsoxx

Welp got to the Ruby Sea and got to where the are a million sidequests...

I'll continue on tomorrow lol. Pretty area and LAND SHARKS!

(P.S. Kugane is love, Kugane is life.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
oozLwyn.png

Nier_Automata_Fishing.jpg
anuxi_rum.gif

yami4ct

I finally did it!

Level 60 AST. Gonna do some actual work on the Stormblood MSQs tomorrow, but I'll probably work on either getting DRK from 50-60 next or RDM. Had a ton of fun leveling AST so I can't wait to mess around with it even more and play with its SB tools too.

iammeiam

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would do this.... it's a damn FF game. FF is a story heavy franchise. Gotta get that endgame gear and be bored though ;)

Every expansion people are baffled by cutscene skippers, and imply that watching cutscenes would solve the dead game issue. But realistically those people are in it for the game systems, we're busy leveling alt jobs and figuring out what we're raiding on, and if 4.1 takes seven months again sitting through the cutscenes wouldn't even register. We all know raid is a month off, we just want to sort crap out in advance. And it benefits team story because we cycle back into DF and keep queues flowing.

Stuff is new once. People who like the story want to fully enjoy it before it's spoiled. Some people who like the game part of the game rush cap to see content before it's spoiled everywhere, because while people are super uptight about plot spoilers they're fairly liberal with mechanics.

Bowlie

Banned
FInished the lv. 67 dungeon, got back to Kugane...

Yotsuyu was a very tragic villain, and became one of my favorite ones from this game, if not the favorite. Being treated as an object by everyone, she grew up learning to hate her own people. I half expected Hien to take pity on her, since it was his country that failed her, but Gosetsu stole all the emotional spotlight.

"EOOORZEAANS, EOOORZEAAANS, COME OUT TO PLAY"

lol

Corven

I have a question about world transfers, they said that going from a congested world to a preferred won't cost any money, but going through the process on mogstation it is asking for me to put in my credit info showing it wants to charge the regular 18 dollars.

Is asking for credit card info a formality that they won't bill me for or should it be showing me on the page that they will not charge me?

I finally did it!

Level 60 AST. Gonna do some actual work on the Stormblood MSQs tomorrow, but I'll probably work on either getting DRK from 50-60 next or RDM. Had a ton of fun leveling AST so I can't wait to mess around with it even more and play with its SB tools too.

Nice! Congrats! Does the game now grant AF2 for class quest completion at lv60? I know it wasn't part of questing before, but wondering if they retooled that for 4.0.

Luminaire

I finally did it!

Enjoy Earthly Star! BOOM!

I have a question about world transfers, they said that going from a congested world to a preferred won't cost any money, but going through the process on mogstation it is asking for me to put in my credit info showing it wants to charge the regular 18 dollars.

Is asking for credit card info a formality that they won't bill me for or should it be showing me on the page that they will not charge me?

Did you pick the right servers and stuff? Mine showed 0 and it didn't ask for any info, actually skipped ahead the payment and went straight to confirmation part.

Omni

Biggest disappointment of this expansion for me, are the zones themselves. No idea if there's a new end game area yet, but I've seen the main 6

How did we go from Sea of Clouds, Churning Mists, and the Hinterlands, to those? Admittedly I wasn't expecting much from Gyr Abania to begin with, but the eastern maps are just so boring. Maybe I'm just not a fan of that general aesthetic hmmmm. Haven't unlocked flying yet, but yanno. General impressions so far.

AwShucks

Did Front lines for the first time ever and it was such good and quick experience I decided to do it again. Match almost over and I got disconnected. Ah well, at least I found something that pops almost instantly and mixes up the exp grind.

Makikou

Biggest disappointment of this expansion for me, are the zones themselves. No idea if there's a new end game area yet, but I've seen the main 6

How did we go from Sea of Clouds, Churning Mists, and the Hinterlands, to those? Admittedly I wasn't expecting much from Gyr Abania to begin with, but the eastern maps are just so boring. Maybe I'm just not a fan of that general aesthetic hmmmm. Haven't unlocked flying yet, but yanno. General impressions so far.

I hate Sea of Clouds, Churning Mists but I think the Azim Steppe is the best zone in the game, granted the story there helped a lot.

Thoraxes

Wut? It's really hard to see how "nothing's happening" in Stormblood compared to the same opening parts of HW.

To be fair, the buildup to finally going to Ishgard was something I was greatly interested in even since 1.0 when the city was basically still eternally gated and people would try to boundry-jump to get there to see if they even could. Just the sheer fact that I was going to actually go in there was enough for me to be hyped about it finally opening up. I brought with more my own personal intrigue after wondering what was in there for almost 5 years.

duckroll

I think people familiar with how great HW zones feel with flying enabled might not remember what a pain in the ass the zones were when first approaching them on foot. Everything was so much larger and wider, there is a bunch of verticality, but it was a mess to traverse. It was slowass, and doing simple quests which required you to explore certain areas or go back and forth were a pain in the ass.

Coerthas Western Highlands is a beautifully conceived zone which was a terrible experience when I had to get through it for the story. Once you unlock flying on it, you really get to appreciate how great it looks from the air when looking down, but on foot it is dreadful.

I liked the Dravanian Forelands both on foot and with flying. Probably the best designed HW zone in terms of gameplay balance, and it had rad optional vistas.

The Churning Mists and Sea of Clouds were also zones designed for flying instead of ground travel. Churning Mists in particular was super annoying to move around in on foot. Sea of Clouds gets much better in the second half when you return to it. Both are very pretty in terms of art and the idea of flying islands is great, but it just wasn't that fun to actually PLAY through.

Dravanian Hitherlands is boring af. Worst zone in HW imo. Both on foot and in the air, it's just boring shit over and over. Lame ruins, shit that get in the way of you moving or looking for quest objectives, lack of color, lack of interesting enemies. Not good.

Azys Lla was a fantastic endgame zone and had great art direction, great enemies, interesting components, the flagship is an OMG moment when you fly towards it.

-----------

In comparison, so far I think the Stormblood zones have been very well designed to be fun to approach on foot first and foremost. There are already areas I'm excited to check out once I unlock flying in each zone, but there's a much more grounded feeling when exploring where you don't feel that it's annoying to navigate without being able to move vertically.

Fringes has a nice mix of forest and desert, leading to a great view of the bridge. Peaks has a crazy ziggurat thing, but might be the most boring SB zone so far. Maybe there are more interesting bits later, idk.

Rhalgr's Reach is a fantastic small scale safe zone and I think it has more attention to detail in the art direction than Iydllshire. Kugane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ishgard, no questions. PS3 died for that scale.

The Ruby Sea is an evolution of a wide open water/beach FFXII zone and there's literally nothing like it in all of XIV so far.

That's about as far as I am now, but yeah, I wouldn't say HW > SB when it comes to zones, especially when we take gameplay into consideration.

KuroNeeko

To be fair, the buildup to finally going to Ishgard was something I was greatly interested in even since 1.0 when the city was basically still eternally gated and people would try to boundry-jump to get there to see if they even could. Just the sheer fact that I was going to actually go in there was enough for me to be hyped about it finally opening up. I brought with more my own personal intrigue after wondering what was in there for almost 5 years.

This picture, along with your avatar, just made laugh. ; )

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone who bought digitally on SE store, check your order page. Mine updated and had the full access code where the early access code had previously been and I was able to register on mogstation.

Bebpo

Banned
Got Ninki gauge with my NIN. Man, what a stupid mechanic (the huton wheel is cute and hlepful for people with poor eyesight I guess). They really dumbed down NIN too much. The first dungeon was zzz playing. Reading some of the reactions to other class changes, idk, feels like they went way too far in simplifying instead of just making jobs more balanced & fun and removing some useless skills.

Guess gotta wait to 5.0 to get back to the 3.x fun of playing NIN again :|

Foxxsoxx

Got Ninki gauge with my NIN. Man, what a stupid mechanic (the huton wheel is cute and hlepful for people with poor eyesight I guess). They really dumbed down NIN too much. The first dungeon was zzz playing. Reading some of the reactions to other class changes, idk, feels like they went way too far in simplifying instead of just making jobs more balanced & fun and removing some useless skills.

You... you aren't even 70 yet though...

Decide then man.

KuroNeeko

Really? My NIN is still at 53, but it seemed like Ten Chi Jin (?) would really open things up. That, and, resetting your Ninjutsu with Kassatsu, Shikuchi, and Hide would just be bonkers...I mean, what did NIN really lose? Multi Mutilate dotting? Instead of doing GS → SE → Mutilate now, you're just going GS, SS, SE and then weaving in Trick Attack, Armor Crush, and your Mudras, right?

Guess I just need to try it to find out. Really tempted to play around with BRD or RDM, but doesn't seem liberating Doma as a non-NIN. My impression is that NIN lost very little though. If anything, they got MORE NINJITSU and MORE DAMAGE. (could be wrong though)

Sarek

That problem didn't exist on every server. My server had close to 3k queues in the evenings, but I never heard people complaining about those two instances.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Anyone who bought digitally on SE store, check your order page. Mine updated and had the full access code where the early access code had previously been and I was able to register on mogstation.
Same for the European version. Must have been updated in the last 2 hours.

Just bought the game for the first time on PS4, got the base game and Heavensward!

Really enjoying it so far, any tips for a brand new start?
How easy it to meet new players in this game? I'd describe myself a bit more of a social player when it comes to MMOs!

Very excited to get through the main story quest and in to Stormblood.

duckroll

That problem didn't exist on every server. My server had close to 3k queues in the evenings, but I never heard people complaining about those two instances.

I wasn't referring to people in general. I was referring to people on the same server I know who are beating it! Cough.

Bebpo

Banned
Really? My NIN is still at 53, but it seemed like Ten Chi Jin (?) would really open things up. That, and, resetting your Ninjutsu with Kassatsu, Shikuchi, and Hide would just be bonkers...I mean, what did NIN really lose? Multi Mutilate dotting? Instead of doing GS → SE → Mutilate now, you're just going GS, SS, SE and then weaving in Trick Attack, Armor Crush, and your Mudras, right?

Guess I just need to try it to find out. Really tempted to play around with BRD or RDM, but doesn't seem liberating Doma as a non-NIN. My impression is that NIN lost very little though. If anything, they got MORE NINJITSU and MORE DAMAGE. (could be wrong though)

Unless I'm missing something, Hide only resets it outside of battle, so it's useful to huton at the start of battle, but that's it. I thought the shikuchi thing is the other way around where certain mudra reset the shikuchi timer so you get extra teleports, not that the shikuchi resets the mudra to give extra mudra attacks.

Ten Chi Jin does seem potentially interesting, but it's the only new gameplay mechanic for NIN. The other two are just "ok your bar is full, do you want AoE or single instant super move"

Meanwhile NIN loses DoT, and a location based weapon skill combo (if rear use one, if not use the other; now there's only one). Also loses Internal Release so no critical burst and then getting all your high damage attacks in while crits are up and Blood of the Dragon buff damage/risk.

But yeah, when you're below 70, there's nothing gained and just stuff lost, which sucks. I read a good post that said all they had to do was make it so instead of the Ninki gauge filling from brainless auto-attacks, they could give a combo finisher that was slightly weaker but increased the Ninki gauge and suddenly there'd be actual strategy to the gauge and depth instead of just an auto-filling super bar that you use when it fills and then it recharges.

You... you aren't even 70 yet though...

Decide then man.

What about when I do all the level 50 or 60 sync content? There's quite a bit...

Makikou

Just bought the game for the first time on PS4, got the base game and Heavensward!

Really enjoying it so far, any tips for a brand new start?
How easy it to meet new players in this game? I'd describe myself a bit more of a social player when it comes to MMOs!

Very excited to get through the main story quest and in to Stormblood.
Everyone with a green sprout next to their name (you included) is a new player.

If there's a flower, then they are a returning player from an extended period of absence.

duckroll

My impression is that NIN lost very little though. If anything, they got MORE NINJITSU and MORE DAMAGE. (could be wrong though)

I think it's the same with DRG. Overall clear buff for the job. MORE SKILLS and MORE DAMAGE, with clearer power bars for timers and PUSH X FOR AWESOME. I'm loving the advantages the DRG has, but it's easy to see how people who want more complexity for long term play would be very wary of the changes. They very obviously dumbed down a lot of the gameplay, to make clear what the "right" rotations are and how to do them very easily. Harder to fuck up, less room for error, almost no penalty for mistakes, lots more damage if you pull it off properly, etc.

It's funny because I feel the RDM is designed with a totally different philosophy to how they dumbed down the existing jobs. It actually feels like a free form class with rotations that you can freely change based on situations, and they can all flow back and forth between each other seamlessly. It's fairly complex to learn and there's a lot of stuff to juggle if you want to do it well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hit 70 on SMN and finished up job quest. They were fun.

My skipping of side quests post-Ruby Sea resulted in near perfect timing as far as saving side quests for other jobs. I ran into my first MSQ level block with a lvl 70 quest. After doing the last 2 Aether Current quests in zone, I was only 400k from 70, so I went and did a few side quests. Still have a ton for Bard when I get around to leveling it.

Moaradin

Wish I could say the same for Monk. Lost about 400 dps with the same gear and level from the HW to SB transition. Impossible to say how the class shapes up until level 70 though, so I'm interested in seeing how the new skills factor in.

Wazzy

Banned
Finishing the night at level 65 almost 66 and I think I'm close to unlocking the next dungeon. I'll hit 66 tomorrow and continue MSQ as usual until that dungeon unlocks.

I'm enjoying the story quite a bit so far. I think HW had the bigger lead in and best lyric song but overall I like how focused SB is.

KuroNeeko

Unless I'm missing something, Hide only resets it outside of battle, so it's useful to huton at the start of battle, but that's it. I thought the shikuchi thing is the other way around where certain mudra reset the shikuchi timer so you get extra teleports, not that the shikuchi resets the mudra to give extra mudra attacks.

Ten Chi Jin does seem potentially interesting, but it's the only new gameplay mechanic for NIN. The other two are just "ok your bar is full, do you want AoE or single instant super move"

Meanwhile NIN loses DoT, and a location based weapon skill combo (if rear use one, if not use the other; now there's only one). Also loses Internal Release so no critical burst and then getting all your high damage attacks in while crits are up and Blood of the Dragon buff damage/risk.

But yeah, when you're below 70, there's nothing gained and just stuff lost, which sucks. I read a good post that said all they had to do was make it so instead of the Ninki gauge filling from brainless auto-attacks, they could give a combo finisher that was slightly weaker but increased the Ninki gauge and suddenly there'd be actual strategy to the gauge and depth instead of just an auto-filling super bar that you use when it fills and then it recharges.

What about when I do all the level 50 or 60 sync content? There's quite a bit...

You're right about Hide, but it lets you Huton → Suiton right off the bat, freeing up later Ninjutsus for moar DEEPS. (maybe). To be honest, I really don't know how it is in practice--you have more experience than I do. I just personally felt that NIN loses a bit pre-Ninki, but really seemed to explode at 70. I hope it does, anyway, as it's the only job that I've really resonated with in terms of gameplay and aesthetic (Mithra Rogue in FFXI). If NIN is a dud, then I guess I'll try BRD (another complex-looking class) or RDM (which seems to have a fun gameplay loop, but not an aesthetic that I personally care for...sorry, everyone).

I think it's the same with DRG. Overall clear buff for the job. MORE SKILLS and MORE DAMAGE, with clearer power bars for timers and PUSH X FOR AWESOME. I'm loving the advantages the DRG has, but it's easy to see how people who want more complexity for long term play would be very wary of the changes. They very obviously dumbed down a lot of the gameplay, to make clear what the "right" rotations are and how to do them very easily. Harder to fuck up, less room for error, almost no penalty for mistakes, lots more damage if you pull it off properly, etc.

It's funny because I feel the RDM is designed with a totally different philosophy to how they dumbed down the existing jobs. It actually feels like a free form class with rotations that you can freely change based on situations, and they can all flow back and forth between each other seamlessly. It's fairly complex to learn and there's a lot of stuff to juggle if you want to do it well.

I like more complex jobs to keep me engaged and I've felt how the changes have (somewhat) negatively impacted my level 53 experience. Still, the thought of using Shukuchi resets and Ten Chi Jin blows my mind. My original problem with the Ninja class was how much emphasis was placed on Huton first and then Raiton / Shuriken (Suiton with TA). You never really got much of a chance to use the other Mudras outside the occasional Doton / Katon. Now there's the potential for MORE NINJITSU, so I can theoretically use something like Hyoton to bind an add, reset, then AoE with Shuriken → Katon → Doton, or go single target damage with Shuriken, Raiton, XXX. Weave in Kassatsu, Duality, etc., and it SEEMS like you have a ton of oGCDs to play around with.

I really don't know how it is in practice though. I'm not really a fan of dumbing down the classes. I'm facing that as an AST now. Combat is just Combust → Malefic x 1000 and it's pretty boring.

Seijuro

Been out of the loop for a while and stopped playing after finishing HW 3.0 I got a lvl 60 SMN but since there seems to be an overflow of DPS in the new expansion anyway I would like to bring my Dark Knight up to speed, who is currently lvl 41.

What's the best way to level up now?

As I understand, the Deep Dungeon PotD is mainly used for Aetherpool Gear/Weapons? Or is it a fair leveling alternative to roulettes and the most current dungeon?

Makikou

Oh thanks! Did not know that!

I'll have to start chatting to some sprouts from here on out!

I saw this today, seems good:

32yy25yr7p4z.png

Been out of the loop for a while and stopped playing after finishing HW 3.0 I got a lvl 60 SMN but since there seems to be an overflow of DPS in the new expansion anyway I would like to bring my Dark Knight up to speed, who is currently lvl 41.

As I understand, the Deep Dungeon PotD is mainly used for Aetherpool Gear/Weapons? Or is it a fair leveling alternative to roulettes and the most current dungeon?

Probably answers to your question too.

Baleoce

People seem to use it for leveling at the moment too yeah. Another alternative is Duty Roulette: Frontline (PvP). And set yourself to freelance in the duty settings. But that's only relevant if you enjoy PvP I guess.

Top Bottom