• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

So I've been leveling red mage constantly with the time I have to play. Got to level 56 already in palace of the dead but honestly really wish I could do the story now but I need red mage!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I've been leveling red mage constantly with the time I have to play. Got to level 56 already in palace of the dead but honestly really wish I could do the story now but I need red mage!

redmage is bestmage

JudgeN

All you people who are already 70 and doing EX content better not be complaining that there's no content in the game next week.

Can't blame players as it seems the devs didn't learn there lesson when it came to endgame content. This formula they seem to be following to letter isn't a good look for longevity.

XenoRaven

So how are the servers holding up? Should I wait another week to resub?
Mostly fine with a couple hiccups.

I played most of yesterday with no problems. Got 90k'd entering a dungeon then had to call it quits because I couldn't get back in, presumably because my character was in an instance that didn't exist.

Marcel

Can't blame players as it seems the devs didn't learn there lesson when it came to endgame content. This formula they seem to be following to letter isn't a good look for longevity.

The formula has been mostly the same for three campaigns now. If you aren't getting the message by now then it is actually your fault for not paying attention.

You can demand better, sure, but if you feel it's fallen on deaf ears for years then the answer is obvious.

I raided on DRG all the way through Final Coil on controller. Two regular hotbars and then using the RT/LT for LB, pots, and Sprint got me through it with no issues.

If people can't switch hotbars and weave stuff for DPS, they probably aren't going to do great DPS regardless. Simplifying stuff is fine. Removing the fun little nuances of the jobs that keep them interesting is less fine.

I'm interested to see what DRG is like at 70, but so far I'm not thrilled with what they've done. I've heard SAM has more of the senseless complexity I crave, but I've mained DRG since 2.0, through good times and bad. I don't want to lay down my spear after all this time.

Number of abilities raised considerably since Final Coil. You're right that it should be enough buttons, but having 30+ skills/items mapped to a controller can be overwhelming, as much as the gamepad controls are supperb.

And looking at my 60 WAR at 70 I will have the same number of slots used as I did in 3.x

wamberz1

Man I wanna level DRK now but everything I read is totally killing my hype. It sounds like using bloodspiller and qeuitus feel like your hitting the opponent with a wet noodle.

What's wrong with white mages? Haven't kept up to date and I main them.

White Mage players have asked for more utility. The need for a consistent big-heals job has eclipsed of late with Astrologians steadily becoming the favoured pick with the amount of utility they provide to the rest of the group while being a formidable healer and mitigation provider in its own right. So in the run-up to Stormblood White Mages were eager to see what the team would do to balance the healers in lieu of a fourth one.

While Scholars receive an ability to increase critical rate and Astrologians continue to dominate, they have taken even more from White Mage...without giving anything substantial in return. Stoneskin, as the only real mitigation ability is completely gone. A number of native WHM abilities like Divine Seal and Shroud of Saints have been taken away, retooled as more underwhelming role skills and now a number of the five available slots are taken up by abilities WHMs should have had in the first place.

The new post-60 toolkit is such a strange addition. RNG-based procs triggered by spamming Cure I and Cure II. The reliability of being able to use Divine Benison (which is essentially a "better" Stoneskin) is hampered by the need to have a lily despite the fact that the barrier strength is not tied to how many resources you have is baffling. It doesn't necessarily "ruin" White Mage - i.e. they haven't actively gone out of their way with the 60-70 toolkit additions to transform WHM's very identity into something that completely puts people off, but besides the godly Thin Air ability, there is no real useful addition. I'm content to just play WHM like a level 60 job but with Thin Air and minus a Stoneskin to freely put up whenever I want.

WHM is a god in dungeons though. A SCH would look at me and cry.

WHO THOUGH A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND MOMS IS A GOOD QUEST.

C'MON YOSHI-P.

THE CAMERA WAS NOT BUILT FOR THIS.

my frustration is growing. think i'm like 75% of the way there.

Robin64

C'MON YOSHI-P.

Please don't be climbing the wrong building like I initially was. Both locations for this quest are actually super easy.

R0ckman

FInished the lv. 67 dungeon, got back to Kugane...

Yotsuyu was a very tragic villain, and became one of my favorite ones from this game, if not the favorite. Being treated as an object by everyone, she grew up learning to hate her own people. I half expected Hien to take pity on her, since it was his country that failed her, but Gosetsu stole all the emotional spotlight.

"EOOORZEAANS, EOOORZEAAANS, COME OUT TO PLAY"

lol

Kind of messed up to begin with though for her taking the major path she did, under no circumstance would I turn my entire kin and blood nation to lions or demons, it would be one thing if the invaders came under pretenses, but its clear the empire is screwed up at the foundation. I would opt to fix things from the inside out, not call in a greater evil.

Please don't be climbing the wrong building like I initially was. Both locations for this quest are actually super easy.

i was climbing the wrong building.

hope no further quest requires me to climb that lighthouse-thing because the camera and floaty jumping just wasn't built for it :p

Shy Fingers

Banned
Finished up the MSQ last night.

Most notable was the change up in dungeon design all the way through. Was actually neat seeing them try new things.

Drop tweaks have been nice too. Guaranteed drop at the end of a leveling dungeon, and things hitting the floor in 70 dungeons giving materia is great.

Now onto tome grinding and farming some primals :D

EDIT: The last WAR job quest had me laughing quite a bit.

I love Samurai, but man I'm noticing its much less forgiving than MNK. I'm so used to being second on threat meter (I know it's not a good indicator of doing good DPS) on MNK than on SAM I see myself slipping. At least SAM @ 62 is much more manageable since I can build kenki far easier and execute more powerful attacks but man it's punishing if you flub your combos and forget your DoT.

R0ckman

Finished up the MSQ last night.

Most notable was the change up in dungeon design all the way through. Was actually neat seeing them try new things.

Drop tweaks have been nice too. Guaranteed drop at the end of a leveling dungeon, and things hitting the floor in 70 dungeons giving materia is great.

Now onto tome grinding and farming some primals :D

EDIT: The last WAR job quest had me laughing quite a bit.

What do you mean hitting the floor?

Also how do you get high gathering materia in this?

Nice avatar btw.

I love Samurai, but man I'm noticing its much less forgiving than MNK. I'm so used to being second on threat meter (I know it's not a good indicator of doing good DPS) on MNK than on SAM I see myself slipping. At least SAM @ 62 is much more manageable since I can build kenki far easier and execute more powerful attacks but man it's punishing if you flub your combos and forget your DoT.

Huh? When I first started doing SAM I actually kept stealing agro in dungeon runs.

Zalasta

I was going to take the day off to make some more progress in SB, but I realize it is launch day, so rather than wasting time with possible server shenanigans, I am back at work.

A friendly PSA, for those new or returning, try to take advantage of the recruit a friend code before you subscribe. It gives everyone in-game items so just ask in this thread, I'm sure people would get you a code.

What's wrong with white mages? Haven't kept up to date and I main them.

WHM didn't really gain anything from SB other than Thin Air, which lets them Holy bomb with even greater impunity than before. To make it worse, they took away a good chunk of the kit, giving much of it to the other healers as well. The lily mechanic is dubious at best, with the spells that actually use it being very situational and hard to use.

You get to remove a lot of clutter off your hotbars, but it really just makes it feel empty. It honestly feels really boring to play now, at least to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Story Spoiler.

Y'Shtola getting sidelined for the entire expansion ticks me off. She should have been part of the girl squad that went to Doma.

C'MON YOSHI-P.

I liked that quest - it was a lot like the Zelda: Breath of the Wild memory quests, where you had to find a place in the world where a picture was taken. I hope there are more quests like that in the future.

Note that the quest isn’t a main story quest, so you can ignore it if you like - one of my static party members wasn’t interested at all, so abandoned the quest immediately, even when we said we’d tell him where to go.

Man I wanna level DRK now but everything I read is totally killing my hype. It sounds like using bloodspiller and qeuitus feel like your hitting the opponent with a wet noodle.

It's not amazing so far. That said, I just got the trait that lets you build meter with blood price/weapon and it all feels smoother now that you can use quietus more on trash pulls. With Dark Arts, it's a 210 potency aoe move with no cooldown so it has to be gated. That's basically 100 more potency than other classes spam able aoe moves. While Ill miss the days of abyssal spamming with what felt like unlimited mp with the old blood price, you can feel what they were going for at least. That's sadly true for alot of classes now. They no longer 'feel' right until much later now except red mage who has everything that makes the class great at 50.

Bloodspiller I refuse to believe feels like a wet noodle when it's 20 potency over a fell cleave. I have to believe. I have to have hope.

SOLDIER

I decided to wait before hitting the new MSQ by leveling SAM to 60. That way I can progress in the new story after server congestion has died down (ideally) and I'll have a fancy new job to level alongside it.

Managed to hit 55 yesterday before the challenge reset, so I hope I can still run dungeons and POTD without issue at launch day today.

Vitanimus

I'm only level 63 SMN but figured I'd brainstorm some thoughts on the changes of the playstyle so far.

• Tri-disaster refreshing upon entering DWT feels really good. Feels like I barely have to manually apply dots anymore.
  • Aethertrails no longer being on a 30 second tick is super handy, and walking into fights DWT fights is really nice.
  • The reduced cooldowns of all the Aetherflow abilities is also good.
  • The ruin spam is real. Since Bane has been neutered so heavily, it feels like Painflare is almost always the best choice since you can Tri-disaster 2 enemies.
  • With Contagion dead, I leave all my bets on Obey now since I don't really feel the need to micro manage them anymore, especially with the Further Ruin trait.
The job feels better to play, but looking at the later job skills, it looks like you're just gonna encouraged to ruin spam more with the Bahamut shockwave ability.

Any other 70 SMNs have similar thoughts?

adversarial

Trudged through the longest quest-line in the history of quest lines (ARR) and was elated when I got to Ishgard / Heavensward.

Immediately revert back to Lvl 30 for DRK and have to grind back 22 levels.

It hurts.

Shy Fingers

Banned
What do you mean hitting the floor?

Also how do you get high gathering materia in this?

Hitting the floor as in everyone passes so no one gets it. Basically as in you just leave it on the floor.

I'm not sure on high level gather/crafter materia. EDIT - people in my Discord are saying it looks like only transmutation right now... so good luck

Trudged through the longest quest-line in the history of quest lines (ARR) and was elated when I got to Ishgard / Heavensward.

Immediately revert back to Lvl 30 for DRK and have to grind back 22 levels.

It hurts.
30-50 is pretty quick in PotD (replaying floors 51-60 over and over again), and can get you a good weapon while you’re at it. And if you get bored of that, you can take a break and do FATEs.

It's not like they haven't been very clear on what's coming at launch and what's coming later and when.

studyguy

Man, just finished the Steppe area.
That's a good fucking story arc. That area is nuts.

Story Spoiler.

Y'Shtola getting sidelined for the entire expansion ticks me off. She should have been part of the girl squad that went to Doma.

Counterpoint:
Fuck catgirls

Kenai

Story Spoiler.

I liked it this way. It let the new and underdeveloped characters have their turn, which is good since Alisae is a glorious sassy queen and watching Lyse see the world with me was refreshing too. And finally a Roe regular! And a lot more about Yuguri! Good times, especially when it's not like there won't be plenty of 4.x for the regulars to return and have some fun

Also, early on minor spoiler but I was so happy
when Krile looked at me after the attack on the Reach and shouted "You're a healer, aren't you?!? Get to healing these people!" The game finally acknowledged that yes, I could do more than nuke and murder things as an AST

I am not done with the expansion yet (67 dungeon, waiting fo bf to get there) but I am very happy with AST mechanically (though I am curious how my mana is going to feel at 70 regarding keeping up my DoT and nuke capability) and like RDM quite a bit more than I thought I would, will probably hit 70 quickly along with SCH. Need to look at BRD MCH and SAM to see if I want any of those at 70 too.

For those who have beaten the MSQ, do you skip the cutscenes/side quests? I don't have as much gaming time as I did when HW released, but I can't imagine the hours required to do everything so soon without skipping so much.

Armaros

I'm only level 63 SMN but figured I'd brainstorm some thoughts on the changes of the playstyle so far.

• Tri-disaster refreshing upon entering DWT feels really good. Feels like I barely have to manually apply dots anymore.
  • Aethertrails no longer being on a 30 second tick is super handy, and walking into fights DWT fights is really nice.
  • The reduced cooldowns of all the Aetherflow abilities is also good.
  • The ruin spam is real. Since Bane has been neutered so heavily, it feels like Painflare is almost always the best choice since you can Tri-disaster 2 enemies.
  • With Contagion dead, I leave all my bets on Obey now since I don't really feel the need to micro manage them anymore, especially with the Further Ruin trait.
The job feels better to play, but looking at the later job skills, it looks like you're just gonna encouraged to ruin spam more with the Bahamut shockwave ability.

Any other 70 SMNs have similar thoughts?

SB SMN seems like the beginning of a new design for SMN to go back to FFXI roots and have big temp summons instead of being a copy of WoWs affliction warlock.

Problem is we are sorta still halfway with the dot spec still here (if neutered) and beginning of the big summons.

Even tho this exp just released I want to see what ideas they have for SMN next time around.

duckroll

SUSANO was really fucking fun. Took a bunch of tries but we did it! Really nice patterns and new mechanics. Looked awesome too.

Lots of really cool shit happening after Ruby Sea. Fun times! <3 Stormblood.

adversarial

30-50 is pretty quick in PotD (replaying floors 51-60 over and over again), and can get you a good weapon while you’re at it. And if you get bored of that, you can take a break and do FATEs.

Thanks! I keep hearing about this Palace of The Dead but have no idea what it is. It's just a dungeon you can spam? I heard that only certain gear works in there? Do I need to buy specific gear to go in there?

I'm fucking in love with FFXIV, it finally clicked, as last time I played was pre-ARR. I'm hoping to get in a consistent raid group when I hit max-level, but I heard there isn't much raiding on Ultros?

So quick question: Up to this point, I've been playing FF14 on the PS4. I bought Heavensward on there as well. Im currently taking a break from FF14 but I am liking what I see of Stormblood. I have PC. A good one. I want to continue my adventure on there once I get back into it. Will I have to rebuy Heavensward for the PC when I pay for Stormblood? Or can I transfer it over to PC? I completed Heavensward prior to Stormbloods release.

Soroc

Thanks! I keep hearing about this Palace of The Dead but have no idea what it is. It's just a dungeon you can spam? I heard that only certain gear works in there? Do I need to buy specific gear to go in there?

I'm fucking in love with FFXIV, it finally clicked, as last time I played was pre-ARR. I'm hoping to get in a consistent raid group when I hit max-level, but I heard there isn't much raiding on Ultros?

Head on down to Quarrymill in Black Shroud and you will see a massive amount of bodies around an NPC. That will be the Palace of the Dead NPC that I think one of the NPCs in the general vicinity kicks off the questline to do it.

Also if you are on Ultros, you should get into the GAF free company if there is room and you are interested. Will find plenty of ppl for dungeons and raiding.

So quick question: Up to this point, I've been playing FF14 on the PS4. I bought Heavensward on there as well. Im currently taking s break from FF14 but I am liking what I see of Stormblood. I have PC. / good one. I want to continue my adventure on there once I get back into it. Will I have to rebuy Heavensward for the PC when I pay for Stormblood? Or can I transfer it over to PC? I completed Heavensward prior to Stormbloods release.

You need to buy the PC versions. You can get ARR super cheap and then have to buy SB (which includes HW). Be careful to buy on PC on the platform you intend to use (i.e. Steam is different than buying it directly from Square for example)

MechaX

SB SMN seems like the beginning of a new design for SMN to go back to FFXI roots and have big temp summons instead of being a copy of WoWs affliction warlock.

Problem is we are sorta still halfway with the dot spec still here (if neutered) and beginning of the big summons.

Even tho this exp just released I want to see what ideas they have for SMN next time around.

Between Demi-Bahamut and also how SMN operates in PvP (no pets, all about bringing out Bahamut with instant cast Ruin 3's), a major overhaul is a matter of when, not if at this point. It may keep the dots (although, if they make an entirely new "dot class" down the road, all bets are off) and it'll definitely keep the Ruin, but I can see it revolving around bringing big monsters out for limited durations. Of course, that may involve reworking Dreadwyrm Trance (unless they introduce multiple, shorter Trances)

With the warring Triad at least, Sephirot has wind and earth (or... grass I guess), Zurvan has fire and ice, and Sophia has lighting and whatever the fuck her other element is. Even if they do nothing with elemental weakness, those should be a good starting point for summon variety besides just Bahamut.

R0ckman

So quick question: Up to this point, I've been playing FF14 on the PS4. I bought Heavensward on there as well. Im currently taking a break from FF14 but I am liking what I see of Stormblood. I have PC. A good one. I want to continue my adventure on there once I get back into it. Will I have to rebuy Heavensward for the PC when I pay for Stormblood? Or can I transfer it over to PC? I completed Heavensward prior to Stormbloods release.

Stormblood comes with Heavensward, you have to by ARR and Storm only.

You need to buy the PC versions. You can get ARR super cheap and then have to buy SB (which includes HW). Be careful to buy on PC on the platform you intend to use (i.e. Steam is different than buying it directly from Square for example)

Awesome. As long as HW is super cheap, it's not s huge deal. Thanks for the assist!

Kyonashi

It sounds like it's in the between stages right now but I hope that's the case. I wanted to play Summoner because I like big FF summons, not because I like what is basically poison magic.

Susano defeated. That might be one of my favourite primal themes and the new mechanics were really fun as well, I'm interested to see how EX plays out. It was also nice having a primal battle that actually lasted more than 5 minutes, feels like the last time I had a primal fight run that long was back at HW's launch.

Alo0oy

Banned
Just got a PS4 Pro since my old one was slowly dying. Should I use resolution or performance mode? I don't mind 30fps, but I don't want it to go below that, is it at 30fps+ with resolution mode most of the time?

Top Bottom