• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally! New additions to Xbox Platinum Hits line. (August)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
[Verified through EB/Microsoft retail newsletter]

The next wave of Xbox Platinum Hits will be arriving shortly! In August, the new members will be:

* Counter-Strike
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
* True Crime: Streets of L.A.
* Midnight Club II
* Tony Hawk's Underground
* ATV Quad Power Racing 2

And, falling under the Platinum "Family Hits" will be:

* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
* Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

Now I'll be able to pick up KOTOR for $20. Woo! ^_^

sweet, TMNT for $20!!!

got my counterstrike for $9.99 at ebgames, but it being $20 now will mean more csx gamers which will be cool...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
explodet said:
Took them a while.... but didn't TMNT tank on the Xbox?

Probably, but that does not mater for the platinum hits line!!!
MUWAHAHAHA

the xbox platinum line means nothing. Its not as if its real platinum. More like the games sell like crap and we need to budget it to look like we had hits on our hand. Sure they had some stellar titles but... Surprised RSC2 isn't there. It might as well be, seeing how it sold like crap.

Mareg

Thx, I'll look forward to getting Midnight Club II.

I've played the PC version with all wistle on. Am I going to be left down by the graphics ?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well, now that the sales douchebaggery is out of the way (thank you fans of other consoles!), will the KOTOR game have the DL content included? I'm always curious if they add that sort of thing to later printings like this or if it doesn't make sense manufacturing wise to do so.

I may pick up CS again at that price. TMNT sucked.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
No Halo? Stupid MS.

No, smart MS. Halo should sell well into next year thanks to Halo 2. I think MS will lower Halo's price to keep Xbox sales strong right up until Xbox 2 hits.

I doubt a 10 dollar difference is gonna keep somebody from buying the best game on the system. Microsoft is making an extra 10 dollars for each copy sold. They don't have to lower the price because the game still sells like it was brand new. Nintendo did this with a lot of it's N64 titles and still does it with games like Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
TheGreenGiant said:
the xbox platinum line means nothing. Its not as if its real platinum. More like the games sell like crap and we need to budget it to look like we had hits on our hand. Sure they had some stellar titles but... Surprised RSC2 isn't there. It might as well be, seeing how it sold like crap.

Keep in mind that in order for an Xbox title to qualify for Platinum Hits status, the game must've been on the shelf for 9 months, and sold over 400,000 units (inclusive of it's sell-through on other platforms). RalliSport Challenge 2 came out in May, so the earliest for it to appear as a Platinum title would be in February 2005 (and sell good, of course).

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
TheGreenGiant said:
that 400000 figure you stated... a lot of their platinum titles are not even 1/3 of the way there but they hit platinum anyways

That's true, some titles sold like crap......but then again Microsoft picks and chooses in funny ways at times ya know. :p

AniHawk

I think the 9 months + 400k is for Sony's GH line. I thought it was 250k and 6 months or something for MS's PH line.

cvxfreak

That's what I heard too, but mainly MS decides to count other platform's sales toward Platnum Hits status which is sorta stupid, but understandable.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
AniHawk said:
I think the 9 months + 400k is for Sony's GH line. I thought it was 250k and 6 months or something for MS's PH line.

Oops, you're right.....my mistake. I got Sony's and Microsoft's criteria mixed up. I'll clarify:

Sony's criteria is 9 months + 400k units sold.

Nintendo's criteria is 9 months + 450k sold (shipped).

Microsoft's criteria is 9 months + 350k to 500k range sold.

AniHawk

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Oops, you're right.....my mistake. I got Sony's and Microsoft's criteria mixed up. I'll clarify:

Sony's criteria is 9 months + 400k units sold.

Nintendo's criteria is 9 months + 450k sold (shipped).

Microsoft's criteria is 9 months + 350k to 500k range sold.

Is the Nintendo one WW shipping?

The main difference for MS's "PH" line is that they include sales numbers on all 3 platforms. A game can sell 10 copies on Xbox yet 500k on PS2/GC and will now be considered for the PH line.

Top Bottom