• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally played Banjo-Tooie

Ye gods, what happened with this game?! The original Banjo-Kazooie was one of the best platformers on the N64, and still holds up pretty well today IMO. So why does the sequel feel like DK64 Lite? This time, the worlds are too big for their own good (I grew tired around the third world), you're given too crap to collect (though admittedly, it's not as bad as DK), and some things just make NO sense (what's the point of turning Kazooie into a dragon?; all that needless backtracking through MULTIPLE worlds for ONE Jiggy; Minjos, etc.). Coupled with some crappy music, annoying slowdown, the lack of Gruntilda (her presence in the first game, always egging you on, was sorely lacking this time out), and the overabundance of crappy minigames makes me wonder how Rare managed to bungle this game so much.

On the plus side............the shooting stages were fun. The dialog was sorta funny. The boss battles were kinda interesting. Um...yeah. Hopefully, the next time Rare makes a platformer, they'll drop all this collecting nonsense. Most everyone else has - it's just NOT fun. I think I'll go play BFD to wash that out of my mind.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
God damn I'm glad SOMEONE agrees with me! Everyone is always like "OMG Tooie is so awesome!" but I never felt it either. Kazooie was a much tighter experience, with MUCH better level design. Treasure Trove Cove? Fucking BRILLIANT.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I liked Tooie for about the first half. I never changed Kazooie back from being a dragon. But yeah, the game didn't hold up as well as Banjo-Kazooie at all. At least it wasn't as bad as DK64.

TheDiave

Banned
Kazooie was sweet, I thought. By the time Tooie had come along, I was already without an N64 so it fell upon my deaf system-less ears. I've heard the GBA game is pretty neat, so I may check that out at some point.

epmode

Prince of Space said:
Ye gods, what happened with this game?! The original Banjo-Kazooie was one of the best platformers on the N64, and still holds up pretty well today IMO. So why does the sequel feel like DK64 Lite? This time, the worlds are too big for their own good (I grew tired around the third world), you're given too crap to collect (though admittedly, it's not as bad as DK), and some things just make NO sense (what's the point of turning Kazooie into a dragon?; all that needless backtracking through MULTIPLE worlds for ONE Jiggy; Minjos, etc.). Coupled with some crappy music, annoying slowdown, the lack of Gruntilda (her presence in the first game, always egging you on, was sorely lacking this time out), and the overabundance of crappy minigames makes me wonder how Rare managed to bungle this game so much.

On the plus side............the shooting stages were fun. The dialog was sorta funny. The boss battles were kinda interesting. Um...yeah. Hopefully, the next time Rare makes a platformer, they'll drop all this collecting nonsense. Most everyone else has - it's just NOT fun. I think I'll go play BFD to wash that out of my mind.
iawtp. a lot.

hooo

boooy
Yup, and to top it all off, they had the gall to bail on the links between the two games. That was a cool feature that I would have loved to play with.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Prince of Space said:
^^Ditto. Everyone I've talked who've played both said Grunty's Revenge should've been Tooie.

Edit: Agreeing with TheDiave.

Man do I wish Grunty's Revenge had been either a N64 or Gamecube (or heck, even an Xbox) game... it was fun on GBA, but could have been so much more.

ourumov

I enjoyed Kazooie a lot although I never beat it (I might have a 80% of the game). However when I poped Tooie on the N64 it didn't convince me (it has to be said that I played it I already owned a lot of new-gen systems, circa 2003)

I have never played BK or BT, but I do have grunty's revenge for GBA and thought it was a pretty fun game.. one of the more fun original GBA games I have played.

ced

Im glad you made this thread, because Ive been looking around for Banjo Tooie and a new controller, think Ill pass.

I myself cant stand collecting in games nowadays, but Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games, so Rare hit the collecting thing right in that game.

DC64 was a freaking nightmare from what I can remember, if Tooie is anything like it I want to stay away.

This also makes me want Kameo like soon, memories of Conker and Banjo Kazooie are so good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
ced said:
Im glad you made this thread, because Ive been looking around for Banjo Tooie and a new controller, think Ill pass.

I myself cant stand collecting in games nowadays, but Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games, so Rare hit the collecting thing right in that game.

DC64 was a freaking nightmare from what I can remember, if Tooie is anything like it I want to stay away.

This also makes me want Kameo like soon, memories of Conker and Banjo Kazooie are so good.

Eh, you should at least give it a try. It's not a BAD game, and it does have a lot of the charm & humor that made the first one so great.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I loved both Banjo games. Totally skill-based platformers that rocked for almost 40 hours apiece. When I think of collecting, I think of games like Pokemon where you have an index of items that you acquire and the items themselves are something that can be manipulated in some way. In games like Banjo, the things you get are merely a means to an end. For me, the variety and quality of tasks that you perform to get the objects is what makes a platformer good or bad. Not whether you're rewarded with a golden jigsaw piece at the end of the task or, alternately, a cutscene that lurches a likely poor plot forward. Just my two pence.

*plays Diff'rent Strokes theme song*

While we're talking about the Banjo games, does anyone exactly what the Eggs and Ice Key were for? They were meant for Tooie obviously, but was it ever said as to what purpose? And were you originally supposed to get them in the original, or were they to be unlocked when you used Tooie?

Swordian

Synbios459 said:
While we're talking about the Banjo games, does anyone exactly what the Eggs and Ice Key were for? They were meant for Tooie obviously, but was it ever said as to what purpose? And were you originally supposed to get them in the original, or were they to be unlocked when you used Tooie?

I'm too lazy to look up the page with the info, but originally you were supposed to get the Key and Eggs in BK and use the "Stop and Swap" function of BT to get them into BT. Rare decided to drop it and you could just find the items in BT and they did...something.

One of the eggs gives you a homing function, the other gives you some useless move where Banjo whacks enemies with Kazooie. The Ice Key essentially helps you turn Kazooie into a dragon.

Top Bottom